Author Topic: Is the number of games we've played catching up on us?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
Is the number of games we've played catching up on us?
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:04:04 pm »
January is nearly over. We've now played a league season's worth of games and we've not even reached February. When we play Birmingham on Wednesday we'll have played as many games already as Spurs will in their entire season. We've done remarkably well so far, beyond most of our expectations, but we're starting to see signs of tiredness throughout the squad. It's showing in our performances which, given the high standards we've set ourselves, have been substantially below par all month. It's safe to say that, after winning the Manager of the Month award for November and December, Rafa will not be repeating the feat in January.

Dan Agger's introduction into English football can't come too soon; in fact we could do with two of him, as both Sami and Jamie are showing signs of tiredness and uncharacteristic lapses in concentration during matches. Sami's performances remind me spookily of last season before he was given a number of matches off when Pellegrino arrived. Our defence hasn't looked anything like as solid since conceeding in Japan. Admittedly, given that it was completely watertight before that, there was a lot to live up to, but the number of chances that we're conceeding, never mind goals, has risen sharply. We still look pretty solid as a unit, but individual errors, the hallmark of tiredness, are creeping in. Sami's lack of pace is being shown up more frequently. I doubt Jamie will want a rest, especially when he's holding the longest unbroken starts record in the Premiership, but his performances recently have not been at the same level as earlier in the season. Steve Finnan was given a rare rest today and Jan Kromkamp certainly didn't look out of place in spite of his lack of games this season; fresher legs certainly contributed to that performance.

In midfield, I cannot believe that Didi Hamman is not being utilised on a more frequent basis (even if he is just coming back from injury). His classy midweek performance for the reserves gave us a reminder that the distance running exhibition that Momo gives us every week doesn't necessarily need exact replication. Comparing Didi and Momo, the old adage "the first 5 yards are in the head" could not be put into perspective more. Fresh German legs may well give us a new impetus over the coming weeks in a similar way to Gary Mac five years ago. We saw the rare sight of Stevie G being substituted today which only serves to reinforce the point.

Upfront, whilst we've rotated the strikers more than we've rotated the rest of the side, Peter Crouch got a well earned break. Hopefully he can respond as well as Michael Owen regularly did to being left out and score a hatful on Wednesday. A fairly fresh Robbie Fowler will become available then too and will give us an additional possibility.

Is this dip in the quality of our performances down to poor pitches, the winter weather, dubious refereeing and the tactics of the opposition and not the CL qualifying and the trip to Japan? It's arguable, I suppose, that Pompey dragged us down to their level today (as did Man U on the weekend), but I feel that fresher legs (see November) would have outclassed the side put out against us and would have allowed many fewer chances against Jose Reina's goal. I think the number of games played is affecting our form. I've no doubt that squad rotation in central defence and across the midfield and lighter training for certain key players will form part of Rafa's plans for the near future. January's signings appear to have had this in mind as well. This should limit the affect of our increased season length and give us every chance of regaining the awsome form that we saw towards the end of last year.

Offline lloydiethe1st

• Legacy Fan
Re: Is the number of games we've played catching up on us?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 09:34:39 pm »
Unfortunately I do think that tiredness is starting to become an issue. We do, however, have a much stronger squad and with sensible rotation any tiredness can be masked over.

I also think Didi should be utilised more and was expecting him to start today. I think Momo's lack of experience on the ball will catch us out in the tougher games to come over the next few weeks.
"Djimi gives us another dimension, we're just not sure of what that dimension is!"

"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool."

http://HDTV.Giveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=204117

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:39:03 pm »
Absolutely. 100% agree and a few players, particularly Stevie are obviously suffering having played almost all of what could be the longest and busiest season ever played by an English team. I expect to see those who haven't played too much recently (Didi, Djimi) featuring regularly now, and the two new recruits who have hadrly played (Kromkamp, Agger) too.

That said, its tricky - as every game is important.

Offline lloydiethe1st

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 09:41:31 pm »
Ah, that reminds me ^^^^^ where the hell is Djimi?

Since Chelsea at home his appearances seem to have been less and less and when he played against Bolton he seemed rusty and out of sync with the rest of the defence. Would have expected to see his face what with the amount of games JAR has been playing!
"Djimi gives us another dimension, we're just not sure of what that dimension is!"

"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool."

http://HDTV.Giveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=204117

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 09:45:56 pm »
The main concern is Sami and Carra. We need Agger to be involved asap.

Agree about Didi. He should be involved more. The season is long and in recent weeks all of Alonso, Sissoko and Gerrard have been playing. We can't keep going like that forever.

Not worried about our strikers getting tired. They'll be alright. I'm more worried about Garcia being out of the team. We need him.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 09:49:52 pm »
We are experiencing a patchy spell, there's no doubt. However, it may be a little too easy to attribute that to tiredness. We didn't play well tonight because the pitch was awful, the wind was swirling and Portsmouth played a very aggresive and direct game which meant our two most important players were Hyypia and Carragher. Given that they spent the game clearing aerial threats I think they did pretty well. Oh yeah, we also won.

In January we've come through two very tough FA Cup games unscathed, beaten a very good Spurs team, controlled ManU at OT and drawn away at one of the most difficult grounds in the country, The Reebok.

It has been an incredible examination of our durability and I think I'd give us a B+ given the circumstances. It has been a difficult time for us but I don't think heavy legs is the reason, it's simply the fact that we've been through the mill and back. If anything the squad are showing how remarkably strong and fit they are.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 09:49:58 pm »
I'm not worried too much about physical fitness, but the players all look mentally tired to me, we're making small mistakes at the back, and the passing certainly hasn't been as sharp and incisive as it was earlier in the season.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Thommo's Beak

• Main Stander
  • Fly the flag my Red Army!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 09:50:54 pm »

I'm more worried about Garcia being out of the team. We need him.

Here, here, was thinking of the little fella again today when watching the game. He will be fresh though which is good.
A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of Liverpool

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 09:53:56 pm »
It shouldn't be, we've had no midweek games so far in 2006 and a week between each of our last 3 games. Rafa has rotated the squad plenty and now we have new arrivals in the shape of Agger, Kronkamp, Fowler and possibly this Victor fella.

The christmas schedule was no busier than anyone else's and we had the advantage of bugger all travelling to do.

The next couple of weeks looks chock-a-block but I don't want to hear any excuses.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 09:54:45 pm »
I've noticed since we came back from Japan, our energy levels have been sapped somewhat. It was bound to happen I suppose and we've only lost 1 game since. Even the ever reliable Carra is looking rather jaded.

To be fair, we were really unlucky with our only loss against Manure since then and still have more than enough for most teams.

Hopefully we'll snap out of it soon ;)
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:12:04 pm »
So far liverpool have played 42 games this season. Some teams would count 42 games an entire season. We are only finishing January!!

While no player has played the full 90 mins in every game it still must take it out of the players. We've been all over europe and a trip to Japan.

We cannot use it as an excuse but we cannot afford players burning themselves out

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 10:42:40 pm »
Bring back 'lil Luis. He always adds a spark to the proceedings.

Have to agree that its spooky how many games SH,JC, SG, and XA are required to play during a season. Perhaps they're too important, perhaps we're too weak without them, but I'd certainly like to see coming off the pitch with 15 or 20 mins to go in games that we've got sewn up.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 10:48:28 pm »
...I'd certainly like to see coming off the pitch with 15 or 20 mins to go in games that we've got sewn up.

Part of the problem has been that our strikers are not sewing up games, in spite of the number of chances that we've been generating meaning that we cannot "close out" a game with a two goal lead as we rarely have that much of a lead. It's amazing how much fresher you feel having won a game easily than having scraped home or fought a rear-guard action.

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 11:00:24 pm »
The number of games is a secondary worry for me, compared to the time in between games the players have to recuperate and continue to train.

Hopefully Agger will be ready to push for a start soon as the CB area of the team is defo the one area that has looked thread bare this year.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 11:12:26 pm »
There's definitely an element of tiredness. Personally, I'm hoping for a comfortable home tie in the next round of the FA Cup so that key players can be rested.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 11:13:18 pm »
The number of games is a secondary worry for me, compared to the time in between games the players have to recuperate and continue to train.

Hopefully Agger will be ready to push for a start soon as the CB area of the team is defo the one area that has looked thread bare this year.

Thats why I think the last coupla weeks have been important, by only playing once a week, the players have had a chance to recouperate and run off any slight knocks.

If Rafa is to rest either Sami or Carra, realistically a home game against Brum would be the best opportunity in the next few weeks as going away to Chelsea or Charlton are probably not the best games to make your debut.

Alonso also deserves a break, may FSP can play RW on wednesday and get Stevie back in the middle, or play Didi (tho Didi & Momo are not a very creative combo)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 11:16:15 pm »
It could be tiredness - wouldn't be surprising. Also, we're not playing well at the moment, but with the exception of last week at United, getting good results (a draw at Bolton is a good result for a big team, the way Bolton raise their game).

I think we must have won something like 13 of the last 15 domestic games? It needs a lift, and surely Robbie's return will rouse the crowd on Wednesday and prove a fresh spark, for both him and the side.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 11:35:21 pm »
And just think alot of our squad will be on international duty during the summer,some of them will be burnt come next August.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 11:58:15 pm »
I very much agree with the original post.  We are looking very jaded now.

My really big concern lies with the restart of the European campaign in 3 weeks time. I would be gutted if our really important fixtures were marred by tiredness.  Thankfully we have options...  Flo, Fowler and Garcia for starters.  And while not so well off in defence, we still have Carson, Traore (!), and Krompamp to ease the burden on our starting back 5.  Anyone up to date with Zenden?  When did he have his op, and how is the rehab progressing?

We do have opportunities to rest players in the next few weeks,  for example Birmingham this week.  Hopefully we will get a simple home draw in the FA Cup.  I feel the vital games for us in the next month are Benfica x2,  FA Cup, and Arsenal.  If Chelsea have a slip up or two, then obviously that game becomes massive,  but quite honestly the knock-out competitions (especially Europe) are key for me, and to get enough points to nail down a top 3 in the Premier League.

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 12:02:37 am »
Anyone up to date with Zenden?  When did he have his op, and how is the rehab progressing?

I read something somwhere (good source eh?) saying that he was aiming to return before the end of the season which doesn't sound too good.

Offline Dearg

• Main Stander
  • Beer Monster
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 12:04:28 am »
And just think alot of our squad will be on international duty during the summer,some of them will be burnt come next August.

The long route to the CL group dtages would be inconcievable next season. I wonder would we have had to go down that route had the World Cup been played last summer.
Interesting thought...
“If you play in the final, it's for winning, not for losing”

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 12:41:58 am »
Fatigue is inevitable. We're showing signs of it now and its perfectly understandable. I dread to think what a lot of our players might be going through when May finally arrives.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 01:31:08 am »
I think our players have looked tired since the West Brom game on New Years Eve. Still Rafa has brought 3 players in over the last month and will have Luis Garcia back soon plus maybe another right winger. I'd expect to see a few more changes than usual over the next month. Hopefully this won't have an adverse effect on our results.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 01:42:41 am »
Yes, totally agree. Since the start of 2006, we have been looking a paler shade of the 2005 team. Physical and mental lethargy is going to be a factor and I seriously hope we won't run the risk of picking up injuries.

The way we play, i.e. the possession game, is taking a toll on the overall energy levels. With the addition of Fowler, let's hope we can be more efficient up front and be less wasteful with the reduced number of chances we will be getting due to the tiredness. It's a foregone conclusion that we will not be challenging for the title this season so let's just try to keep up with Man Utd for second spot but out priority is to retain CL and do better in the FA Cup.

Didi should be employed more, as should Agger, Kronkamp, Pongolle, JAR and Warnock. Not Djimi!!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 11:30:49 am »
I've got to say I'm perplexed at the total lack of use of Didi Hamann. Maybe he'll figure more in the coming weeks.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 11:43:53 am »
Sorry totally disagree - sounds like an excuse to me for a few games which have not gone our way

we had a good run of results but our performances were not 'water tight' we had some luck in a number of those games in keeping a clean sheet - Wigan, Spurs, Villa could all easily have scored

If anything we've given away fewer chances in the last few games and conceeded from set pieces in the main - football is just a funny old game that way

Viilla away was equally a poor performance as yesterday but then as now we got the result

Truth is jan/feb is our trickiest run of games - even wednesday is against a revitalised Brum side that 4 weeks ago would have rolled over and died - now they will give us a hard hame

Tiredness will creep in though if we give the players the excuse - mentally they'll start believing they should be tired and they'll start playing like it - physically centre half is the easiest and least tiring position on the pitch but mentally is a pain

The trick will be for Rafa to keep the players sharp - for that we need to be up there contending for the title and in the cups - basically he has to keep them hungry for success

We'll see how good a motivator the bloke is over the coming months - so far against lesser opposition its been his major managerial weakness
 - so its going to be interesting

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 12:30:45 pm »
i think we have to look at this as a problem but not hang on it too long nor dismiss it. Players are going to be tired and I agree witht he point earlier about us not sewing up games. Now we have Robbie hopefully in the last 20 mins of games we can net another so making the last ten a lot more comfortable. I also think the players are trying to spread their energy more thinly.

No player wants to be rested for the big games and at the min every game is a big one. SPURS MAN U BOLTON and the FA CUP.

I think for many players in the prem we may see this happening with the world cup coming up, less strong tackles etc.

But what we must remember is the very strong link Rafa has with his players and he is sure to ensure that a player does not pick up injuries related to being tired.

The new signings will give a boost to the players and may awaken some of the mental tiredness. The way in which Rafa handles the team in the next few months will prove f he is a true great.

The ability to rest big players and still win is one that not many managers have got right. Mourinho does not even try it( when have terry and lampard been rested?) Wenger has fallen to it and lost games and Ferguson has been good in the past but does not have the squad to do it now.

Rafa is building us to have that ability and it is now how he uses are talented squad that will dictate the rest of our season