Author Topic: Sunderland vs Liverpool, 2 January @ 15:00 - The Stadium of Shite  (Read 27432 times)

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
November 2016, Jurgen Klopp eyes opened to the world of David Moyes!

"Sunderland are the most defensive team I ever saw" - True Jurgen, but remember he's a winner without winning!

They say opposites attract, but I can’t see Klopp ever warming to Moyes' brand of football.  They don't appear to be many similarities between the two managers.  One likes attacking football, sides full of energy, intensive pressing and possession based football.  The other is cautious, dull...

Actually I'm doing Moyes a disservice here, as this LFC team under Klopp "sounds just like his Everton team!"

Try and keep a straight face while watching that clip again:
https://twitter.com/Adam_Smith_82/status/722860968217337857

Anyway less about Moyes, let's focus on his team.  We know his tactics won't change much whether he's at home or away and the main (only) threat is Defoe.   

Who would have thought Anichebe would be brought back from the fold to help support him?  Guess 'Moyes' is the answer to that question, but I'm trying not to mention him!  I'll try not to again.  He likes to put himself about and try to bully our CBs.  Luckily for us, he's really shit, so other than pushing people and maybe holding the ball up a few times – he's no threat.  Just does what Defoe can't do – hold up the ball.   

Agger knew he was a dirty bastard though!

Sunderland Injury / Suspension List

Klopp told Jamie Redknapp on Sky that he enjoyed the Christmas fixtures and even the New Years Eve games.  He loves football, so of course he is going to enjoy being involved in the game at this time of year.  His one issue however was the amount of time between the Manchester City game at home and then travelling up to Sunderland to play two days later.

I feel the lack of time between the two games and given we have to travel, might make this our toughest game of the three.  Despite Manchester City being the toughest side on paper, they are a side we have done well against in the past under Klopp and we have time to be fully fit and fresh to face them.

This Sunderland game is a real test for the fitness of the side and the depth of the squad.  Changes you would have thought will be made.  Luckily we have a few first team players who are sniffing at a chance who have not played much lately in Emre Can, Moreno, Lucas (if he's still here) and Sturridge to help do that.  Probably too early for Coutinho though, according to Klopp.

They are the joint lowest scorers in the league and we are the highest scorers.  Grab a packet of crisps David and take note of this Klopp team, as it's the best football your fans will see all season!

The Stadium of Shite, will turn into the Stadium of Light - for 90 minutes!  ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sunderland vs Liverpool, 2 January @ 15:00 - The Stadium of Shite
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »
Absolutely brilliant Klippity mate, thanks for throwing that up at short notice.
I'm gonna lock it for now and re-open at 7:30 if you don't mind.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:13:17 pm »
Did I hear Anichebe got injured today?  Another one out for them.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 09:16:40 pm »
Even if we aren't at our best, I would heavily back us to win this, and I think we'll win it comfortably.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 09:19:08 pm »
Even if we aren't at our best, I would heavily back us to win this, and I think we'll win it comfortably.
No game is easy won't be comfortable.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:19:37 pm »
Kone, Pickford, Anichebe, Denayer, Kirchhoff, Watmore, McNair, Gooch and Cattermole all look to be out for them according to Physioroom. A lot of knee, hamstring and hip injuries. Yeah, they got hammered by Burnley, but these are the type of banana skins that usually screw up our season, after a strong performance against one of the top sides.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:20:31 pm »
No game is easy won't be comfortable.

You say this before every game.

Anyway, good opener, great that Chelsea play after for once. Really could do with gaining after this match as they get one of their tough ones out of the way and us one of the easier ones.

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
Did I hear Anichebe got injured today?  Another one out for them.

Hamstring injury according to the BBC (link below), also Billy Jones picked up a fifth yellow so he's out too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38424664

Cheers
Jon

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:24:17 pm »
You say this before every game.

Anyway, good opener, great that Chelsea play after for once. Really could do with gaining after this match as they get one of their tough ones out of the way and us one of the easier ones.
Really don't think so please don't make false statements. Have viewed a lot of your comments too the least said the better !
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:00 pm »
Is Mane available?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »
Yep.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:28:19 pm »
Not keen on playing so soon after today, but FINALLY we get to play before Chelsea do. Let's win and put the pressure on them for a change and see how they respond to it. Sunderland have so many players out so there's no excuse for not getting the 3 points here. Pickford is a massive loss for them.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:59 pm »
Time to put some pressure on. We've been going in to every game 9 off Chelsea needing to win. Now we have the chance to send them in to an already tough local derby against a very good side only 3 ahead of us.

If they lost, after winning 13 games on the trot, and found themselves only 3 ahead of us then I think that would hurt them mentally.

Need to win this. No room for slip ups after the Bournemouth game and West Ham game. We have done brilliantly to beat Everton and City so lets not waste that by not beating this lot.

Looking at our team today, I can see us going very different vs Sunderland. I'd be surprised if Lallana plays and maybe even Firmino. Could see us going diamond with it switching to a 4-3-3 when out of possession. I thought Emre and Studge would come in but with Emre playing tonight he won't be fresh but then he will probably have to play. Also got to be a huge doubt now over Henderson. Even if it is just to smallest knock to the ankle, no way can he play 48 hours later. Real shame Grujic and Phil are both out as we could have used them centrally. Not sure I'd throw Ejaria in. I'd probably just move Milner for a game.

Mig
Clyne - Lovren - Klavan - Moreno
Milner - Emre - Wijnaldum
Mane - Studge - Origi
Believe

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »
If Billy Jones is also out, they will be quite stretched. Kone left today's game injured. They've been playing three at the back recently.

So they will be likely picking their defence from: Djilobodji, Van Aanholt, O'Shea, Manquillo and Love. N'Dong is a midfielder, but he replaced Kone today.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 09:35:47 pm »
So Mane last game?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 09:35:50 pm »
Sturridge hatrick. You heard it here first.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 09:39:28 pm »
I did think this would be mega tough but then forgot that Sunderland also have only 48 hrs between games, so not so worried about fatigue affecting the performance. More worried about injury risk. The rules of sport science would suggest maybe playing a second string eleven as injury risk would be sky high.

I would say put Lallana on the bench at the very least and bring him on if needed. He seems to be our fulcrum.

You risk players in these situations and you could lose someone for months depending on the injury. Change as many players as possible and keep our most important (Lallana, Firmino, etc on the bench.

All eyes on Kornmayer.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
So Mane last game?

Yes, hopefully he has a great tournament even with Senegal being knocked out at the group stage (sorry Sadio) and comes back early but raring to go again for us.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 09:43:37 pm »
Seems far too soon to be thinking about the next game, but here we are.  ::)

Need to win this or the City result is totally irrelevant.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 09:47:17 pm »
Need to win this or the City result is totally irrelevant.

How is it? We would still be a point ahead of City, or two if we drew, and whilst it would give Chelsea a bigger lead, that lead would not be impossible to overhaul.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 09:50:07 pm »
Fully expecting Lucas and Sturridge to start this one, and likely Kevin Stewart in midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck Moreno on as a wing back either. I'm just fascinated to see whether Sunderland actually have the ability to put out a starting eleven.

Could be one of those horrible 'us against the world' scenarios where they try and kick us off the park. Or Klopp could start some of the first choice lads for 45 minutes, batter them senseless and kill the game then ring the changes. Reckon it'll be a bit more interesting than the formality many of us are expecting. I'd go with this:

Migs, Trent, Lucas, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Stewart, Gini, Studge, Origi, Ejaria
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:52:57 pm by Butcher Knife Roberto »

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 09:53:53 pm »
Will be interesting to see how many changes there will be.

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 09:54:17 pm »
Very little recovery period,hopefully we come through it ok.let's go again reds!

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 09:55:55 pm »
How on earth do we go about putting out an 11 for this? I wonder how many changes we'll make but on the plus side they have a horrendous injury list. Really hope the lads that come in keep up the same intensity and desire as those they have replaced.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 09:57:07 pm »
I can't see us making more than 4 changes
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
How on earth do we go about putting out an 11 for this?
I think we have a couple of lads who are amazing athletes easily capable of playing two games in a row let alone two games in 40-ish hours : Clyne, Milner, Firmino, we've got players like Sturridge, Origi, Lucas and Moreno who will be all fresh and fit. Then we've got two CBs who can play in this short time as they're CBs. So that's 9 outfield players sorted imo. Shame about Hendo's injury, he's also robust enough to play two games in such short span.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »
Bahaha splendid OP, well in mate on short notice

Any posting of that fucking plaque is good by me :lmao
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 10:24:51 pm »
Kone, Pickford, Anichebe, Denayer, Kirchhoff, Watmore, McNair, Gooch and Cattermole all look to be out for them according to Physioroom. A lot of knee, hamstring and hip injuries. Yeah, they got hammered by Burnley, but these are the type of banana skins that usually screw up our season, after a strong performance against one of the top sides.
Shite and falling to bits.

Laps?

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 10:26:46 pm »
I can't see us making more than 4 changes

Seen a few posts where people are asking for the changes to be rung but id keep the team as similar as possible. Maybe 2-3 changes with Origi starting instead of Firmino and Lucas maybe coming in for Can.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
Good news for us that Pickford is out, he's been outstanding this season. Expecting a change or two, at least one of Sturridge and Origi will play, possibly Moreno although I doubt it, Lucas or Stewart for Henderson. Would like to see Ojo on the bench too, I think he'll be in line to get some minutes when Mané goes.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »
                  Mignolet

Clyne    Klavan    Lovren     Milner

Lallana     Can         Wijnaldum

Firmino          Origi       Mane

Two Cup games to follow will see more changes but doubt Monday will.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:45:28 pm by Sargassum »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 10:49:31 pm »
They're absolutely decimated with injuries but it still won't be easy.

I expect a few changes but after this I don't expect the first team (except Phil and Matip) to play until January 11th now as it will likely be a 'B' team against Plymouth. In which case I think we'll go for it. Mané will play I think since it's his last game before the ACON.  Sturridge to come in. Moreno maybe too. If Hendo can't go then any 3 of Can, Gini, Lallana, Lucas, Stewart in midfield. Has Ojo had enough U23 games now?

Nice OP. Thanks KK
YWNA

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:02 pm »
They weren't pushovers when we beat them 2-0 at Anfield - they'll work hard but just don't think they can match us. I'll be amazed if Sturridge doesn't start this one - Mane and Firmino could both do with a rest, although Mane goes off to ACN soon.

It's a joke how little preparation you get but We'll have to have a shocker of a day not to win here.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »
Only thing that pisses me off is the short turnaround, but if Sunderland defend like they did today at Burnley we should get 10.
#Sausages

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 11:05:04 pm »
They weren't pushovers when we beat them 2-0 at Anfield - they'll work hard but just don't think they can match us. I'll be amazed if Sturridge doesn't start this one - Mane and Firmino could both do with a rest, although Mane goes off to ACN soon.

It's a joke how little preparation you get but We'll have to have a shocker of a day not to win here.

My one concern is that it could be like the united and Southampton games, both of those were matches after an international break, where we had a tired squad up against defensive teams who showed no attacking ambition whatsoever, and both ended in a goalless draw. Of course we haven't got an international break this time but the players will be knackered, if they're not sharp then trying to break through a packed defence could be a real slog.

Hopefully Sunderland will be pretty shattered too and will make some mistakes.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »
They weren't pushovers when we beat them 2-0 at Anfield

They have shitty luck with injuries at the moment, though.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 11:06:37 pm »
How many fit players do Sunderland have?

Hopefully very few.

Legs will be very tired, bring in Sturridge and Origi from the start and maybe Ojo for the bench?

TAA and Moreno at full back and Stewart in midfield.

Insane scheduling, we will probably find this a really tough game, how do you prepare with only recovery time and nowhere near enough of that?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 11:07:07 pm »
My one concern is that it could be like the united and Southampton games, both of those were matches after an international break, where we had a tired squad up against defensive teams who showed no attacking ambition whatsoever, and both ended in a goalless draw. Of course we haven't got an international break this time but the players will be knackered, if they're not sharp then trying to break through a packed defence could be a real slog.

Hopefully Sunderland will be pretty shattered too and will make some mistakes.

That's where Sturridge and Origi come in. Not too worried on this score.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 11:07:22 pm »
Only thing that pisses me off is the short turnaround, but if Sunderland defend like they did today at Burnley we should get 10.
Something tells me that it will be a completely different kettle of fish come Monday!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 11:09:07 pm »
Time to spank these.
No excuses, just press them and don't stop until Moyes is sacked.