Author Topic: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....  (Read 43239 times)

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Anny Roader
  • It stinks of fish in here!
Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....
« Reply #520 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:04 pm »
Fucking hell

A colossus....

A phenomenon....

Someone who can make players better than they think they are

Someone who can change the state of a game with their first touch

Someone who is even now still underrated.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the colossus of Istanbul

Mr Steven Gerrard.

What

A

Fucking

Player

Sounds good to me, whoever doubted Stevie G should be shot (joke) I've heard a lot of people say "he's past his best"... pffft!!!
WTF!!! This gave me pins and needles in my eyes! We would look like a bunch of Bulgarian Ice skaters wearing that! Wank!  ;)

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #521 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »
thats why carroll actually started lookin like a striker

Yep

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #522 on: December 30, 2011, 11:33:02 pm »
I thought we were poor the first 15 minutes of the second half.  Never go going until Stevie came on

That doesn't bode well for Adam. Gerrard is special, without a doubt. But his entrance was Adam's exit. Gerard made Henderson and Carroll look so much more effective than Adam did.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #523 on: December 30, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »
I thought Spearing was MOM myself.

was you at the match? was he really that good cuz it looked to me on the tele that it was only bellamy and gerrard who stood out as different cup of meat?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:37:19 pm by masterbaker »

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: December 30, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »
Can't fault Carroll too much for his play once Gerrard came on, aside from the obvious fluffing of that brilliant chance. The first thing I thought when he botched that first touch was "Carroll was unable to overcome his shock at being provided good service."

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
Sluggish first half, composed second half.
Defensively excellent again, and how Skrtel cleared from the Ba shot I'll never know. He saved the three points.

I was disappointed with the midfield in the first half. Adam looked off the pace, Henderson was quiet, Spearing had to do a lot if running and recovery and we were not creating enough out wide. Downing showed brief flashes of pace and guile but was largely ineffective.

The second half was better, Henderson grew into the match and then showed great promise in front of the returning Gerrard. Gerrard was vibrant and effective and showed exactly what we have been missing with his injury and Raul being sold: runners from midfield into the box.

Bellamy was superb and Andy is a discussion for another night. Unfortunate not to score and the quality crosses from Gerrard gave a indication of what he could bring to the side in the future, but it was another sluggish 90 minutes.

Three points. Three goals. Without our talismanic striker. Gerrard with more minutes under his belt. Good evenings work.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #526 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:12 pm »
wasnt you at the match? was he really that good cuz it looked to me on the tele that it was only bellamy and gerrard who stood out as different cup of meat?

Yes I was and he was.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #527 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:18 pm »
Andy Carroll is a player that thrives on service

Gerrard provides service ergo Carroll will thrive

Before that the balls to him were shocking, he even ran back to shout at Glen Johnson at one point something like "just put the fucking thing in"
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: December 30, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »
Spearing made a massive difference to our midfield. Hollywood tackles aside, his reading of the game was exceptional. His distribution weren't too shabby either.

Offline teri_ma_ki

• s_au_ce
  • Kopite
« Reply #529 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:19 pm »
to be honest, this is the worse i've seen us play, and we scored three goals ... irony

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »
was you at the match? was he really that good cuz it looked to me on the tele that it was only bellamy and gerrard who stood out as different cup of meat?

???
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #531 on: December 30, 2011, 11:39:34 pm »
Some dick head singing Rafa Benitez in the Lower Anny when the Geordies scored. I bet the 3-1 result fucked his radio phone in call the fuckin nugget.

thats a fucking discrace if it was an intended shot a Kenny,  I have no problem with people singing about rafa I love the bloke but to mouth off like that...... I am stuck at home skint and someone with that nerve is inside the ground spouting guff willy nilly, he should have been ejected.

Even IF we were in a bad situation under his leadership - this is Kenny were talking about none of us have the right to question him.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:11 pm »
to be honest, this is the worse i've seen us play, and we scored three goals ... irony

You can't have been watching us very long.

Offline marypat

• Kemlynite
« Reply #533 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:25 pm »
stevies performance shows other players that they have to up their performance. carrol with score goals with the proper service. when stevie come on carrol was in the box all the time and looking dangerous.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #534 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:24 pm »
That doesn't bode well for Adam. Gerrard is special, without a doubt. But his entrance was Adam's exit. Gerard made Henderson and Carroll look so much more effective than Adam did.

Possibly not.  I think Stevie did the easy things quicker than Charlie and did the crossing much better than anyone on the field.

Think Adam will be better once we get our confidence up to be fair but at the moment, he seems a little ponderous.  Where Gerrard needs one or two touch, Charlie holds onto the ball and takes 4 or 5.  By which time he's either closed down or the opposition are in position.

We'll grow better as a squad of players - no doubt

Offline masterbaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:50 pm »

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: December 30, 2011, 11:42:52 pm »

If a player NEEDS top quality around him in order to look good it isn´t really a sign which makes me wanna believe in this player.

The difference in quality when Gerrard is coming on says a lot about the quality of our transfer summer.

Downing, Carroll and to some extend Henderson where bought to hit the ground NOW. To make the squad be competitve in the PL when the likes of Suarez, Gerrard or Lucas aren´t fit or ready to play. Right now this wasn´t the case, far from it.

I have no doubt that there is an awesome first eleven around with the likes of Gerrard lifting the place. But Gerrard isn´t the future. So who will lift Carroll when he isn´t around? Downing?

And if Downing, Henderson and Carroll need someone like Gerrard to make it happen, why did we buy them in the first place as it´s clear that Gerrard won´t be around in every game? I cannot figure how someone could be happy with todays performance as it was very clear that before Stevie came on there was only one MOTM... and that was Jay Spearing. Says a lot on the performance in the first half and the beginnning of the second where Newcastle had more possession and controlled the game where as we weren´t able to create anything than headless crosses and runs and sloppy and slow passing.

Gerrard changed the game. The rest was good work but nothing more. It was Newcastle.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:55:36 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #537 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

We played worse at Spurs, Fulham and Wigan. And at home against Swansea.
YWNA

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:50 pm »
Spearing made a massive difference to our midfield. Hollywood tackles aside, his reading of the game was exceptional. His distribution weren't too shabby either.

Yes. Previously we have left big gaps between defence and midfield, but today that gap wasn't there. It was only one or two times that we were in a slight danger, but Spearing chased back, stopped the attack and we could regroup. I believe Spearing was a big reason why they couldn't create anything.

We'd be best off keeping a bit of faith in him before we go and sign a new defensive midfielder. Should be interesting to see how he copes vs City.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: December 30, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »
I don't think Adam or anyone at the club ever believed that he would be first choice over a fit Gerrard when he joined.

Surprised to here some people have a go at Johnson.  He's had a few lapses of concentration and wayward passes/shots in the last few games but why would you tinker with the best defense in the EPL?

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #540 on: December 30, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »
what is jay doing on the bench? he should be in the line up week in week out. do we need another DM ? no. Jay was outstanding, love him. Gerrard... wow.. Bellamy... is he 32 or 22? fantastic, skrtel agger, again fantastic, and that clearance of the line superb.

Henderson with a great assist, glen and downing terrorized the right hand side, both of them had a very good game, Carroll so unlucky, and we see what he can do with right serivice.

Disaapointed by adam tho, needs a rest, had some fantastic games and a few schockers lately. will come good eventually.

so many candidates for man of the match, but I have to give this one to Craig, what a player what a man.
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #541 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:24 pm »
I'm just so glad Stevie is back. What a class act. Carroll will benefit from him immensely.

Special mention to Spearing. Played really well, very rarely let's us down. (Red card aside).
YWNA

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: December 30, 2011, 11:48:53 pm »
We didn't play as well as against Blackburn, but that's football.

Stevie G aye, some knobs on here. Save it though hey.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: December 30, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »
3 shots on target 3 goals ... makes a nice change

Hope we push on in 2012  :)

I guess that's the way to avoid having the keeper play a blinder against us. Can't remember Krul having to make a save, although we did have other chances.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »
Only 14 pages? Where are all the dickheads that were out and about after the Blackburn draw? They must be devastated tonight.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: December 30, 2011, 11:51:26 pm »
I guess that's the way to avoid having the keeper play a blinder against us. Can't remember Krul having to make a save, although we did have other chances.

Exactly mate, shoot where the keeper can't save like today or eliminate the goal keeper all together and you won't have a problem with keepers having a blinder. Gerrard for me showed his experience watching krul spread himself and deciding to shoot between his legs as did craig with his positioning for his goal.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:50 pm »
Exactly mate, shoot where the keeper can't save like today or eliminate the goal keeper all together and you won't have a problem with keepers having a blinder. Gerrard for me showed his experience watching krul spread himself and deciding to shoot between his legs as did craig with his positioning for his goal.

The finishing of Gerrard was top class, absolutely brilliant. We need more of this our line up as soon as possible. January, please.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »
I don't think Adam or anyone at the club ever believed that he would be first choice over a fit Gerrard when he joined.

Surprised to here some people have a go at Johnson.  He's had a few lapses of concentration and wayward passes/shots in the last few games but why would you tinker with the best defense in the EPL?
Pretty sure the idea would be he was first choice in a lot of the games anyway (whenever we deploy 4-3-3). A midfield trio of Adam Gerrard Lucas like against the mancs. He's played like every game in the middle so only right to sub him off for Gerrard.

Offline neilinneslfc

• Kopite
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »
Over the moon with tonight's win. Thought we played well, v well at times. Spearing was excellent IMO. Would've loved Carroll to grab a goal but hey, 3 points will do me!

Plus I had 2 bets on a) Liverpool win 3-1 b) Gerard last scorer. All round good night for me.… plus I watched the spent the match with 5 Newcastle fans!!

Happy new year rawkites.

YNWA
Lets twat these fuckers!!!!

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
Loved leaving Anfield with a smile on my face.

Brilliant cameo from Gerrard. He was like a chess player making his pawns move all over the board sweeping up every king queen and horse a long the way.

Check Mate. Check Gerrard.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:04 pm »
Thank you Steven Gerrard.Your introduction to the game was like a breath of fresh air.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »
My cup runeth over with festive cheer this evening.

Allow me one niggle, just to chuck into the Carroll debate pot.
Did anyone notice him having a go at Enrique for that low cross in the 2nd half?
And I think he had a pop at Johnson in the first, and maybe even Downing as well.
I was really pleased with Andy's overall contribution and I believe in him, but just
a bit disappointed with that attitude, and wondering aloud if he needs to wind his neck in
a bit? Could be nothing – fair enough he's desperate to score, but that our play shouldn't
all be about perfect service at 6 foot 7 inches.

I think a lot of players do that during the course of a game though don't they?  I don't think it is anything to be overly bothered about.

Good thing about Carroll tonight was that he had two clear cut chances that he could have put away - how good a 5-1 scoreline would have looked :)

Think with a run of games, a bit of confidence and Gerrard back in the team we could start to see what this young man has to offer.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline masterbaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:28 pm »
we are a work in progress, does anyone really believe thats kenny thinks we dont need more quality

this is a guy that signed beardsley , houghton and barnes

when he had an unlimited cheque book at blackburn he also signed mark atkins and stuart ripley

the blackburn fans went wahhh>?

building blocks, the guy knows how to build a team

and now he's building a squads cuz players now are to lazy to play twice in a week

so in my opinion the likes of downing and adam, good players as they are.

have been signed to be upgraded upon next season, would you sign if you thought you were a squad player?

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:17 pm »
Only just made the match after leaving work late, and while the game wasn't great, it's the result that matters.

It does feel like the players are afraid of getting the ball and themselves into the box.  Thankfully that changed after Gerrard was introduced.  He adds some great urgency and potency.

I thought Spearing was amazing today and has more than earned further starting places.  If someone has to give way for Gerrard it should be Adam imo.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: December 31, 2011, 12:00:54 am »
we are a work in progress, does anyone really believe thats kenny thinks we dont need more quality

this is a guy that signed beardsley , houghton and barnes

when he had an unlimited cheque book at blackburn he also signed mark atkins and stuart ripley

the blackburn fans went wahhh>?

building blocks, the guy knows how to build a team

and now he's building a squads cuz players now are to lazy to play twice in a week

so in my opinion the likes of downing and adam, good players as they are.

have been signed to be upgraded upon next season, would you sign if you thought you were a squad player?

His post game interview makes me believe this although he constantly seems to mention how much we would have deserved more of our recent performances. Which is good, cause it shows how much he wants it at any cost. But I hope it doesn´t make him tend to believe that it´s really all about luck that was missing. Cause the quality of Gerrards finish today showed that it´s not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:05:01 am by steveeastend »

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #555 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:05 am »
Did anyone else notice the over the top ridiculous comments being made from Sky about Andy Carroll?

At one point, Martin Tyler actually said something along the lines of "there's nobody better in the Premier League at heading balls than Andy Carroll" and Geoff Shreeves asked Kenny in the interview if it was a Carroll assist from the free kick. There was a lot of love in for Carroll tonight from Sky when normally they're quite quick to point out his flaws and poor goal scoring record for us. It seemed a bit fishy, to me.

I thought Carroll was abysmal today. The only good thing he did, I thought, was get himself in front of the Newcastle defender to head the ball that hit the bar. His positioning was terrible and he was very quick to berate everyone about not picking him out. I've said before that he just stands in the box more often than not waiting for the ball to land on his head and people shot me down saying that he's only had brief cameos so can't be judged fairly. Well the past two games have shown his lack of movement in the box isn't helping himself compared to someone like Torres who moved brilliantly for the ball in the box or even Hernandez. At Newcastle, he won a lot more headers but he just doesn't seem to throw his weight around for us and doesn't show much willingness to get in front of the defender to meet a cross.

He didn't even celebrate the second goal and third goal and looked utterly dejected when everyone else was celebrating. He showed more desire than I've seen at other times this season but I think that's more down to the fact that he played against his boyhood club. It looked promising when Gerrard came on because he was able to find him better than anyone else has managed to do and I can see him improving with more of Gerrard's delivery, but it's really concerning when nearly a year on, we're still arguing about him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:03:00 am by Matt8MincePies »
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:38 am »
Legend salutes legend
That'll be my desk top background until the day die or sober, whichever is first.
Don't bet on it.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #557 on: December 31, 2011, 12:02:15 am »
Really? I would love us to play like that every game ('cept for us losing the midfield).
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #558 on: December 31, 2011, 12:03:08 am »
Did anyone else notice the over the top ridiculous comments being made from Sky about Andy Carroll?

At one point, Martin Tyler actually said something along the lines of "there's nobody better in the Premier League at heading balls than Andy Carroll" and Geoff Shreeves asked Kenny in the interview if it was a Carroll assist from the free kick. There was a lot of love in for Carroll tonight from Sky when normally they're quite quick to point out his flaws and poor goal scoring record for us. It seemed a bit fishy, to me.

I thought Carroll was abysmal today. The only good thing he did, I thought, was get himself in front of the Newcastle defender to head the ball that hit the bar. His positioning was terrible and he was very quick to berate everyone about not picking him out. I've said before that he just stands in the box more often than not waiting for the ball to land on his head and people shot me down saying that he's only had brief cameos so can't be judged fairly. Well the past two games have shown his lack of movement in the box isn't helping himself compared to someone like Torres who moved brilliantly for the ball in the box or even Hernandez. At Newcastle, he won a lot more headers but he just doesn't seem to throw his weight around for us and doesn't show much willingness to get in front of the defender to meet a cross.

He didn't even celebrate the second goal and third goal and looked utterly dejected when everyone else was celebrating. He showed more desire than I've seen at other times this season but I think that's more down to the fact that he played against his boyhood club.
I think his lack of celebration was out of respect to the fans of his boyhood club too to be fair
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: December 31, 2011, 12:03:24 am »

If a player NEEDS top quality around him in order to look good it isn´t really a sign which makes me wanna believe in this player.

The difference in quality when Gerrard is coming on says a lot about the quality of our transfer summer.

... before Stevie came on there was only one MOTM... and that was Jay Spearing. Says a lot on the performance in the first half and the beginnning of the second where Newcastle had more possession and controlled the game...

Gerrard changed the game. The rest was good work but nothing more. It was Newcastle.

We won, but I agree with that. Carroll came close to scoring, but he really needs to be given quality service. He can't create for himself and it makes him a fairly limited player. Downing, again, made a few runs and it looks promising but nothing comes out of it. And this is a big problem. Because when Gerrard is out, we need someone else to step up and deliver. Two have done that. Maxi, who doesn't get to play and Bellamy. This is really where our big money signings should show the way. And they offer nothing. Bellamy - :thumbup

Spearing deserves a mention too while on the subject. When given the chance to play, he ups his game and leads by example in the role he has. Good character that. Others should learn from him and Henderson. They do in line with or more than we can expect from them.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez