Author Topic: Auto Trader - anyone bought from here/had any problems?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline williamson84

• "Disgusted of Aberdeen."
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Auto Trader - anyone bought from here/had any problems?
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:33 am »
Lookin to get a new(ish) motor and seen one I fancy on Auto Trader, I've never bought off here before and don't know much about cars so a bit apprehensive knowing if I do buy somethin then there's no come back should somethin go wrong. Anyone had any issues buying through here before?

Cheers

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Auto Trader - anyone bought from here/had any problems?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
It's the safest website out there to be honest, just give the seller a ring and once you go see the car, you'll have to be very good with your people skills. You're not just looking at the car but also the person. Does he look trustworthy? Observe how he talks to you. If he talks too much he's got something to hide. If he talks too less, again same problem.

Be careful with the dealerships though, they tend to blow a lot of smoke up your ass and just ramble on and on and on. They could sell snow to a penguin.

Offline williamson84

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:38 am »
I stay in Aberdeen and the guy's willing to come down with his car from Thurso (small town right at the very top of Scotland pretty much), about a 4hr drive from Aberdeen which makes me wonder.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:17 am »
What kind of car is it, price?

Never heard of anyone willing to drive 4 hours just to sell his car. Very suspect.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:26 am »
If you are shelling out a few quid then you can get an AA/RAC check - or maybe just mention it to him and watch his reaction. There are plenty of cowboys on there and once you have handed your cash over you are done. If its a garage then they will give you a, say 3 month guarantee which is good and gives you time to fully check it out. You can also ask him for the previous MOT numbers and then you can check on the web for consecutive mileage (no gaps etc.) for free. I done this the other day for my car which I have owned for years just to see how my mileage has gone up/down over the years, yes I was bored at the time.

Offline williamson84

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 04:25:49 pm »
What kind of car is it, price?

Never heard of anyone willing to drive 4 hours just to sell his car. Very suspect.

Nissan Qashqai mate, 3k is what he's asking for, 2007 model with only 15,000 miles on the clock. Seems too good a deal to be true.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »
Nissan Qashqai mate, 3k is what he's asking for, 2007 model with only 15,000 miles on the clock. Seems too good a deal to be true.

AVOID! Blatant scam.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »

Mate, seriously. Think about it.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »
Cheapest Qashqai I can see on Autotrader is £5,499 searching Nationwide?

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »

And he's willing to drive 4 hours just to show it to you. I guess you could let him show it to you, he can't force you to buy it.

Look up the Qashqai, find some Nissan forums and see if there are any known faults at least. I did that with my dads car, found that there was a known fault and they had a recall in every country apart from the UK (Ridiculous). Insisted that if I buy the car the issue had to be fixed by a main dealer and that's what they did, paid for it themselves and got it fixed. I looked on a lot of forums and got a lot of information. Called up the previous owner and had a chat with them, searched the internet with the registration and all that nonsense.

The car was a VW so I found one global VW forum and one UK specific VW forum and learnt everything I could. My dad didn't buy the car on AutoTrader though, got it through Car giant so they did checks themselves before they put it on their lot. I think they're only London based though but they sell everything, from low end cars to 1 year old Bentleys and sports cars.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:01:43 pm by Surprise me. »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »
In the modern era, I don't see what the issues are.

As a buyer, just tell the seller that you'd like to take his picture on your phone, as a bit of added security, as you've had a bad experience of buying from someone unscrupulous in the past. ( A little white lie, of course)

Tell him you'll be deleting it in a week or two.

If the car you're buying is legit and he's nothing to hide, then he's nothing to worry about.

If he won't let you take his pic.  Don't buy the car. Simples.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:09:18 pm »
Auto Trader is the safest as really it's a matter of judgement. You aren't obliged to buy the car, and if you are buying of a genuine person then you can test drive, have a look round for any faults etc and generally, have an opinon on the car by what you've seen. Plus on average cars are about £500 cheaper. Or better, if you've got the gift of the gab!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:11:12 pm by SFiasco »