Author Topic: The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers  (Read 20170 times)

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
« on: July 8, 2012, 08:19:17 am »
I have delayed posting this after the news was given on Thursday, (although it was announced by the vermin at Sky News on wednesday evening!). But earlier this week, it was announced that several British Army units were to be scrapped, in order to reduce the Army's numbers to just 82000 by 2020. Among those cut were 5 Infantry Battalions, of whom The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (2RRF) were one. This is the Battalion in which I serve, and have done for the best part of 18 years, in effect it is my surrogate family. I have lived, slept, ate, drank, cried, fought, laughed and loved with these men for almost half of my life, on exercise and operations throughout the world, and the feeling I have at the moment is beyond words, it's not just anger or sadness, it's a mixture of all emotions, a feeling that I have never known before.

As a quick introduction to us, we are part of the wider Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, who are made up of 3 Battalions, 2 regular (1RRF and 2RRF) and a TA battalion (5RRF). As a regiment we were formed in 1968, as an amalgamation of four antecedent regiments, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, The Royal Fusiliers, The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers and the Lancashire Fusiliers. We started with 4 regular battalions, 4RRF were disbanded in 1969 and 3RRF in 1993, so we have taken our fair share of cuts in the past and accepted them with dignity, if not understanding.

The history of these regiments came with us and is one of the most distinguished in the British Army, in fact it was the Lancashire Fusiliers (note that this Regiment was never given the title Royal, this was due them siding with Cromwell during the Civil war!) who fought during the battle of the Relief of Ladysmith,during the second Boer War, which gave the name for our very own Spion Kop.

For 44 years we have served our political masters regardless of reason (rightly or wrongly, that is for another debate) with distinction, and have lost several young men along the way, some of whom were very close friends. we have always picked ourselves up and got on with whatever jobs we were given.

More recently we have served on operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2006, while posted to Cyprus, we were the Theatre Reserve Battalion, and were held on 5 days notice to move for 14 months. During this time we carried out 3 emergency tours of Iraq and 3 of Afghanistan, including a record breaking 107 day defence of the town of Now Zad, the longest since the Korean War.

However, regardless of history, whether recent or from many years ago, that is not the sticking point. Most British regiments can trace their history back for hundreds of years, we ourselves are the 6th most senior regiment, not just in the Infantry, but in the entire Army, all regiments have carried out recent combat operations, some more recent than us. What really sticks in the throat, what has really made us angry, is that at this precise moment in time, my Battalion and indeed 1RRF are the most well manned and well recruited battalions in the British Army. We are constantly receiving excellent reports from external training units for exercises and career courses, where our blokes continually finish in the top 3. Overall, we are a Battalion on the up.

Yesterday we marched through the town of Celle, in northern Germany as part of a farewell week ( our barracks are being closed down and handed back to the German state after 67 years.) which was well received by the locals, and was over seen by the Chief of the General Staff, who said he was immensely impressed with the battalion, and that we are an outstanding unit, then why make us go? Those who do not face compulsory redundancy, will be used to backfill understrength units, away from their recruiting areas and from their mates.Next week the last Fusiliers will leave Germany to move once again to Cyprus and resume the role of Theatre Reserve, the end of that tour will see the Battalion disbanded in 2014, a very sad day!

However, the fight is not yet lost, there are still moves in the corridors of power to try and save this Battalion. Without getting into any political rows over conflicts, tools of the government etc. etc. can I ask anybody who wishes to try and help, to sign this online petition please. If you don't wish to that's fine, as I said I don't want to get into any slanging match over this. Thank you.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fepetitions.direct.gov.uk%2Fpetitions%2F35724&h=NAQHqO_dyAQEuivX_gBG9-ge5eEMyEpuasY-yxe1sdhgnZg

« Last Edit: July 8, 2012, 08:26:09 am by jed the red »

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2012, 09:27:32 am »
Did you see the letter from your Regt Col to CGS that someone leaked Jed?

Still can't believe that one of the best recruited battalions is going and the Royal Regiment of Fiji is being left virtually untouched! Well actually sadly I can believe it, but you know what I mean!
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2012, 09:35:03 am »
signed.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2012, 10:06:18 am »
Did you see the letter from your Regt Col to CGS that someone leaked Jed?

Still can't believe that one of the best recruited battalions is going and the Royal Regiment of Fiji is being left virtually untouched! Well actually sadly I can believe it, but you know what I mean!

Yes mate he was here on Friday,I'm posted and he asked me if it was as a PTI.......cheeky bastard! He's fallen on his sword for us mate he won't go anywhere now, legend!!!

Cheers Pheeny.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »
Signed.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2012, 09:47:15 pm »
Do my head in this bloody Government.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2012, 10:56:29 pm »
Do my head in this bloody Government.

I know Andy they are truly shocking, I do believe if the Lib Dems came out now and forced another general election, Labour would walk it!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »
Why should I care about the second battalion?

I'm not sure why I should or shouldn't.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2012, 11:20:03 pm »
Why should I care about the second battalion?

I'm not sure why I should or shouldn't.

That's your call, if you don't want to sign that is your right if you do then thank you.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2012, 11:33:14 pm »
That's your call, if you don't want to sign that is your right if you do then thank you.

I come from a position of ignorance on this....

What's the alternative to cutting them?

Are there alternatives?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »
I come from a position of ignorance on this....

What's the alternative to cutting them?

Are there alternatives?

Well for a start we could a battalion who are struggling with recruitment or rely heavily on foreign and commonwealth soldiers i.e are recruited from abroad, neither of which affect my battalion.

Or we could not cut the army at all to rely on reservists who need to double in numbers in 8 years for the governments plan to succeed.

A lot of this is political, for example. Scottish regiments are full of Fijians(excellent soldiers incidentally, both the Jocks and Fijians!) but are struggling to be fully manned, as are a lot of county regiments. It makes no sense to cut my battalion who are 5 soldiers away from being fully manned, we have 12 soldiers currently in training, and who constantly receive top grades on all assessments.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:33 am »
Signed. My Brother was in 3 RRF. Good luck mate, hope to see you before you leave Celle.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »
Signed.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »
Thanks everyone so far, it really is much appreciated. We've still got a long way to go but every little helps (if you can get anyone else to sign that would be good too! ;))

Wish I'd have known that before Monkey, we still had a couple of ex third lads here til last weekend, will pop down next week if you are around mate?

Pheeny

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:24 am »
 :wave

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »
Ha, cheers Pheeny lad, that is about right!!

What trade were you in the RAF? I actually started there as a young 16 year old at Swinderby before crossing over!

Pheeny

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »
Ha, cheers Pheeny lad, that is about right!!

What trade were you in the RAF? I actually started there as a young 16 year old at Swinderby before crossing over!
I also went to Swinderby, then onto St Athan as a Gen Mech E. Went back to Saints and became a Gen Tech E.

Left in 1992 after 12 years and miss it almost everyday.

Used to love going to work everyday.

Pheeny

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 11:54:54 pm »
 :wave

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
I'm not on facebook Jed.  Is there anywhere else I can sign please?   :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »
I'm not on facebook Jed.  Is there anywhere else I can sign please?   :wave

Hi Maggie, the link is http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35724

I can't add it as a direct link sorry, I'm on an iPad and can't cut and paste, it can probably be done but I'm just a wee bit slow on the whole IT thing (probably why I'm in the infantry!) thank you. :)

p.s it seems you don't need to it happens automatically!

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »
I also went to Swinderby, then onto St Athan as a Gen Mech E. Went back to Saints and became a Gen Tech E.

Left in 1992 after 12 years and miss it almost everyday.

Used to love going to work everyday.

I was an aerospace systems operator for two years, went to West Drayton and the Boulmer in Northumberland before transferring over, it was interesting but too indoor for me, I was 80 foot underground in a bunker watching screens!
Tried to get on mobile RADAR but it was pretty hard at the time, now it's all mobile, I would have been out this year if I'd kept my nose clean!!!

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 07:26:31 am »
Signed by an ex Gunner, good luck mate.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:39 am »
Thanks mate.  :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 08:03:53 am »
Signed. Pretty much all my family have been in the army (I'm about the only one that wasn't and that's only cos I had a job at 15)

:)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 08:12:22 am »
Signed. Pretty much all my family have been in the army (I'm about the only one that wasn't and that's only cos I had a job at 15)

:)

Cheers Andy.  :wave

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:17 am »
I thought things were bad when I left the RAF in 1995. It's a significantly worse now. Good luck

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »
Hi all, first of thanks to everyone who has signed so far, its a great help.

just thought i would bump this as im going to be away from the internet for a while as im in the process of moving back to the UK.

But just as one last thought, if my Battalion go, that will mean we are down to a one battalion regiment which means the 1st battalion will probably go in the next cuts due to being under represented. If that happens there will be no Fusiliers left at all. So one last appeal, the regiment who fought during the Relief of Ladysmith will cease to exist, and that historical link to Liverpool the city, not just the football club, will be lost forever. so please if you can help, please do.

Thank you all.  :scarf

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:13 am »
Going to bump this as today at 11.15 am there will be a debate in the commons about the dis-bandment of the Battalion. Also prior to this will be a march past the cenotaph by ex and serving fusiliers, ending at the houses of parliament. This is the first time serving soldiers have marched on government since the days of Cromwell and they risk court martial if they do so in uniform, but many have chosen to risk this.
We go armed with a leaked copy of a letter which Philip Hammond wrote in which he admits the only reason we were cut was a political decision to avoid the cutting of a Scottish battalion and therefore losing votes north of the border!

We wouldn't be where we are now without the petition which you all signed so again thank you all.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 11:46:23 am »
Going to bump this as today at 11.15 am there will be a debate in the commons about the dis-bandment of the Battalion. Also prior to this will be a march past the cenotaph by ex and serving fusiliers, ending at the houses of parliament. This is the first time serving soldiers have marched on government since the days of Cromwell and they risk court martial if they do so in uniform, but many have chosen to risk this.
We go armed with a leaked copy of a letter which Philip Hammond wrote in which he admits the only reason we were cut was a political decision to avoid the cutting of a Scottish battalion and therefore losing votes north of the border!

We wouldn't be where we are now without the petition which you all signed so again thank you all.

Let us know how you got on Jed.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »
The magnificent bemedalled marching old boys have just been on the news.   Your regiment shouldn't be sacrificed simply to pacify the Jocks (tho' I've every admiration for the Sweatys of course).  Look forward to hearing your news Jed.   :wave

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Right then, after almost four hours of debate, and some very good arguments, mostly against although some did appear to back the government. It was voted at 57/3 in favour of ourselves. Now, if I've got this right, what this means is that we now get this debated at governmental level. A massive victory for us, but we still have a long way to go. A very good result though, and some very good arguments from back bench tories criticising the government with both sides in general agreement!

Andrew Robathan, the defence minister, was particularly uncomfortable when answering questions on the criteria for making the cuts and was just reiterating the policy without really answering the question, this man is ex-SAS and was struggling, the weasel!

Anyway, we live to fight another day. One step at a time!
Thanks again for your interest and support. :wave

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 04:21:29 pm »
The magnificent bemedalled marching old boys have just been on the news.   Your regiment shouldn't be sacrificed simply to pacify the Jocks (tho' I've every admiration for the Sweatys of course).  Look forward to hearing your news Jed.   :wave

Whitehall were expecting a few ex-officers Maggie, which just shows you out of touch they are. Over 400 were there today, a fine showing. I must admit to being a bit choked today at times and that's why! ;D

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
Hi all, first of thanks to everyone who has signed so far, its a great help.

just thought i would bump this as im going to be away from the internet for a while as im in the process of moving back to the UK.

But just as one last thought, if my Battalion go, that will mean we are down to a one battalion regiment which means the 1st battalion will probably go in the next cuts due to being under represented. If that happens there will be no Fusiliers left at all. So one last appeal, the regiment who fought during the Relief of Ladysmith will cease to exist, and that historical link to Liverpool the city, not just the football club, will be lost forever. so please if you can help, please do.

Thank you all.  :scarf

I can't think why but this is the first time I've seen this thread so can I still vote?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »
I can't think why but this is the first time I've seen this thread so can I still vote?

Yes Vic, the fight is still not over and all the support we can get the better, thanks mate,

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 6, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=british%20soldier%20killed%20in%20cyprus&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-20197023&ei=nn6ZUM6_He6U0QX6-IHwDw&usg=AFQjCNEqkXm50fu5iUO5y1rS46pqpxlCFg

I didn't want to start a new thread, but thought i would drop this in here for anyone who is interested. This lad was due to to deploy to Afghanistan yesterday, if he had lived. A top bloke who was cut down in his prime, he will be sadly missed, a very promising soldier. RIP Dave!

OAFAAF.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 7, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »
Deepest condolences Jed.  A dreadful loss of a fine young man.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »
Can't believe the only time this thread gets posted in these days is when a fine member of my battalion is brutally murdered! Fucking gutted right now, RIP Riggers lad, stand easy mate see you on the re-org!

Offline MONTREAL_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:56 pm »
Can't believe the only time this thread gets posted in these days is when a fine member of my battalion is brutally murdered! Fucking gutted right now, RIP Riggers lad, stand easy mate see you on the re-org!
My sincere condolences Jed, tragic.
"OH! What a dog's hole is Manchester"
- Sir John Byng

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »
RIP :(

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:21 pm »

Jed mate.  This is a football forum not military.  It doesn't mean we don't care, its just that the main focus is in other directions - if that  makes sense.  If it is any consolation I wish to Christ I'd been there.  I'd have held the lad's hand stroked him soothed him and made him tidy (as women did).  Then I'd have beguiled the cleaver out of the fuckers hand  and slit his fucking throat.  Rest in Peace Riggers.