Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 503318 times)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dejan Lovren signs new long-term Liverpool contract
« Reply #1160 on: April 30, 2017, 12:13:25 am »
Is he any worse than Gary Cahill? Put Lovren in that Chelsea team and they're still near the top of the league.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1161 on: April 30, 2017, 12:21:07 am »
Is he any worse than Gary Cahill? Put Lovren in that Chelsea team and they're still near the top of the league.

I think he's better than Cahill, except for Cahill's tidy finishing. Lovren alongside Luiz and Azpilecueta, with Matic and Kante ahead of them, would be more mobile and more on the front foot than with Cahill. Lovren and Matip are horribly exposed in our system without a fit (and uncarded) Henderson in front of them

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1162 on: April 30, 2017, 12:35:28 am »
Melissa Reddy @MelissaReddy_
Klopp on Lovren: "I know how fans think. After Dortmund, they say 'give him a 20-year contract.' After Palace, 'can another team have him?'"

Will be happy to have him in our squad as a back up.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1163 on: April 30, 2017, 12:46:52 am »
100k is not "nearly" 160k.
My point still stands, Lovren shouldn't be getting anywhere near Ramos in terms of earnings, he's half the player

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1164 on: April 30, 2017, 12:51:13 am »
My point still stands, Lovren shouldn't be getting anywhere near Ramos in terms of earnings, he's half the player

At what point did our love of all things Liverpool FC suddenly turn into a game of not Football Manager 2017 but Accounts Payable Manager 2017? Who gives a fuck what teams in different countries and competitions pay their players?

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1165 on: April 30, 2017, 01:10:10 am »
Lovren getting a new contract is like me staying on o2 after I'm due a new handset because I can't be arsed ringing anyone up and joining a new network.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1166 on: April 30, 2017, 01:10:48 am »

How do you know what Ramos is earning?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: April 30, 2017, 01:15:27 am »

Even though Ramos plays in a different league and country with different tax regulations?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1168 on: April 30, 2017, 02:34:02 am »
Totally fine with this. He's a good player though not elite and in our system we need elite defenders. Matip is the closest we've got to an elite defender, and I haven't seen him demonstrate the levels he was showing at the start of the season in months. Hopefully, we can upgrade on Lovren and Milner at the back for now, but while we haven't done that, he remains a good player that is still worth a lot of money should a team start looking at him.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1169 on: April 30, 2017, 02:42:17 am »
Dejan is the best we're gonna get.

Dejan is the least of our problems.

First sentence makes me think you don't watch much football. Second sentence makes me think you don't watch much liverpool football. You couldn't be more wrong in both cases.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1170 on: April 30, 2017, 03:10:31 am »
Even though it's a pointless, stupid comparison... he is earning around half what Ramos earns...

What's your gripe?

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #1171 on: April 30, 2017, 04:15:05 am »
Totally fine with this. He's a good player though not elite and in our system we need elite defenders. Matip is the closest we've got to an elite defender, and I haven't seen him demonstrate the levels he was showing at the start of the season in months. Hopefully, we can upgrade on Lovren and Milner at the back for now, but while we haven't done that, he remains a good player that is still worth a lot of money should a team start looking at him.

Agreed. It's a good development, Klopp knows what he's doing here.

I'd be happy with Lovren as third choice centre back or in a consistent 2 with Matip based on their form other than the Palace game. Preferably, we sign a Van Dijk and he's 3rd choice mind...

He does still make some mistakes but then some fans on here are deluded to think we shouldn't be keeping him

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: April 30, 2017, 09:03:52 am »
Lovren is a good centre back at a good age so makes sense to tie him down.

Of course what we ideally want is GREAT centre backs but there just aren't that many around. The market value for any centre back seems to have shot up massively over the last 5 years. Just look at the money City have thrown on that position on Mangala, Otimendi and Stones. I don't think any of them are great or better than Lovren.

So with the lack of option's around it's much better to keep Lovren and add another to him and Matip than let him leave and have to get two in.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: April 30, 2017, 09:13:59 am »
He lacks a brain just like moreno lacks a brain. Hyypia was so slow but because he was so clever very rarely got done for pace. Lovren has all the physical attributes to be a good cb, but without a brain he will always cost us.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1174 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
Yep, its a solid base to be starting with. And then if you improve on those figures, which can be done with the personnel already therte, you're talking title winning form.

Not to mention that all title contenders have at least 3 quality central defenders, and judging by all the reports from the respectable sources, we will be signing another quality central defender in the summer. So, with Matip, Lovren and the new central defender, we are planning for a team that is capable of winning more than 2.07 points per game, or basically a title contending team.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1175 on: April 30, 2017, 09:39:25 am »

No, Lovren is overall a better player than Gary Cahill. Put Gary Cahill in our exposed defence, and he would look terrible.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: April 30, 2017, 09:39:54 am »
He lacks a brain just like moreno lacks a brain. Hyypia was so slow but because he was so clever very rarely got done for pace. Lovren has all the physical attributes to be a good cb, but without a brain he will always cost us.

I don't think he is anywhere near that level.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:47 am »

No, not at all. And if you took Cahill's defensive partner, David Luiz and stuck him in our back four, he'd still be seen as the clown everyone thought he was prior to his return to Chelsea.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1178 on: April 30, 2017, 09:53:03 am »
He lacks a brain just like moreno lacks a brain.
Hasn't stopped you though.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #1179 on: April 30, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1180 on: April 30, 2017, 09:58:54 am »

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1181 on: April 30, 2017, 10:02:55 am »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1182 on: April 30, 2017, 11:05:55 am »

He isnt a better defender than Gary Cahill.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1183 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:43 am »

Ask Gary Cahill to defend in a team as progressive and boarderline reckless as a Klopp team and come back to me with this hot take.

Lovren, fwiw, got his move to Liverpool after looking very impressive under a manager who was much more risk averse than Klopp, much like the sort of manager Cahill has played well under in Mourinho and now Conte, when Pochettino was setting up a nice solid (boring) midfield in front him for protection.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem is systemic.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1184 on: April 30, 2017, 11:12:21 am »

For me, they're both very similar. Although Cahill doesn't get exposed as much in the system Chelsea play. He is still prone to the odd brainfart like our Dejan though. And if he were playing for us, I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade, if one at all.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1185 on: April 30, 2017, 11:24:47 am »
That'll be the Gary Cahill whose made more errors leading to goals than Lovren whilst playing in a much more defensive set up.

Considering the system we play it's bordering on pointless to compare other defenders to ours.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1186 on: April 30, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
First sentence makes me think you don't watch much football. Second sentence makes me think you don't watch much liverpool football. You couldn't be more wrong in both cases.
We're all entitled to an opinion, but your two sentences make me think you just don't like dejan, that's fair enough. I think everyone on this forum probably watches too much "liverpool football" actually, and i certainly know that my employers think i'm a massive pain in the arse for taking sooo much time off for the games.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1187 on: April 30, 2017, 02:51:28 pm »

He is only wrong with the first sentence. And you're wrong with the second sentence if you think Lovren is the biggest problem we have with our side.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1188 on: April 30, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »

l...

The odd thing about our team this season, a bit more than others, is that we need more strong minded players, guys who can bully the opponents and psych our players up too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1189 on: April 30, 2017, 05:55:15 pm »

He isn't worse. Cahill will be remembered for his goals, yet was terrible in the Chelsea back four at the start of the season. He's also had a few mares for England recently. Cahill, however, is seen as "reliable," whereas Lovren is a "trainwreck," a "liability."

I'm not Lovren's biggest fan or anything, but he's a decent defender playing in a system that doesn't exactly make defenders look great.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: April 30, 2017, 06:06:42 pm »
Of course Cahill is rated higher he has won pratically everything he can mostly playing as a starting cb for Chelsea.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1191 on: April 30, 2017, 07:56:17 pm »
Of course Cahill is rated higher he has won pratically everything he can mostly playing as a starting cb for Chelsea.

Did people rate Darren Fletcher higher than Steven Gerrard because he'd won more premier trophies than him? Just because they play for better teams it doesn't make them better players mate.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1192 on: April 30, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »
Cahill according to reports is on 80k a week but crucially starts week in week out. The likelihood is that Lovren could well end up as our 3rd choice centre back on 100k a week. It seems bizarre to me to be looking to reduce Lovren's role but also give him a huge pay rise.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1193 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »
Cahill according to reports is on 80k a week but crucially starts week in week out. The likelihood is that Lovren could well end up as our 3rd choice centre back on 100k a week. It seems bizarre to me to be looking to reduce Lovren's role but also give him a huge pay rise.

According to all the reliable sources, we are planning to sign another top central defender in the summer. Since we are hoping to have Champions League football next season, we are obviously trying to create a rotation of 3 quality central defenders for the increased number of games. What is bizarre about that?

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1194 on: April 30, 2017, 08:26:26 pm »
He is only wrong with the first sentence. And you're wrong with the second sentence if you think Lovren is the biggest problem we have with our side.

He said that Lovren is the least of our problems. Do I think he's the biggest problem? No. Which is why I didn't say it. But to act like his criminally poor decision making hasn't consistently hurt us is either disingenuous or delusional. Either way it's wrong.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1195 on: April 30, 2017, 08:30:52 pm »
According to all the reliable sources, we are planning to sign another top central defender in the summer. Since we are hoping to have Champions League football next season, we are obviously trying to create a rotation of 3 quality central defenders for the increased number of games. What is bizarre about that?

That centre backs are the one position where you don't want rotation. You want to have a settled centre back partnership.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: April 30, 2017, 08:32:53 pm »
That centre backs are the one position where you don't want rotation. You want to have a settled centre back partnership.
true, but that's irrelevant if they get injured, which happens a but to ours
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: April 30, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »

Yes but you can't play both centerbacks in every game throughout the season in all 4 competitions. It's unrealistic and impossible.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1198 on: April 30, 2017, 08:37:19 pm »

Increased number of games. Injuries. Fatigue.

I think that you get the idea.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1199 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:39 pm »
true, but that's irrelevant if they get injured, which happens a but to ours

Which raises the question why we are giving Lovren who has had 8 injuries this season and 5 last season a massive long term deal. He is probably at the peak of his physical powers at the moment but misses too many games. What is he going to be like in his thirties.
"Ohhh-kayyy"