Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 3981236 times)

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
Re: For all the auld arses.
« Reply #10560 on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:57 am »
It does get worse JP, there is a bit more if you want to read it.

I soon realised that Liverpool preferred me to make my own arrangements, so that's what I started to do. I asked other clubs for tickets, sometimes when Liverpool were the visiting team and sometimes to see other teams play. I have not been short of invtations from other clubs either, Derby County invited me to a match, West Ham asked me to be their guest when they played Liverpool in the FA Cup.Ron Greenwood, West Hams general manager couldn't have been nicer, we even had a meal together. Tommy Docherty invited me to Old Trafford when Manchester United played Liverpool in a night match. Tommy invited me to have a meal with him in the restuarant and we enjoyed a wonderful hour of banter before the match. Sydney Reakes, the liverpool director said to Tommy "I see Bill Shankly is here", "Aye" said Tommy, "he's always welcome here".

Vic, if you don't mind, I'll answer that with a quote from Johnno's excellent post .......

"The immeasurable pomposity and ingratitude of these shitehawks defies understanding....

Giants of the game gave the very essence of their being to the clubs they served with great distinction - there are far too many unsung heroes in the old game to list here but I think you can get my drift.

Shabby is not the word to use to describe how so many of them were treated after ahem "the Lord Mayor's show"  as it were.

The honour these guys earned by their vision, their strength of character, their belief in the right things must never be allowed to be diminished by the midgets in boardrooms. "

"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline DUGlish

• blah blah and so on...
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10561 on: December 30, 2010, 11:12:19 am »
you must be a sensitive soul if you kept caring about results that long

think something has to give now  though - i'm starting to get angry ( a good sign I think) its like the Zulu's have come back to finish us off after we've held 'em off all night - either the fat lady aka nesv sings or we go down fighting - surrender aint  an option

We are the pride of europe
The pride of merseyside
We fight for no surrender
We fight for SHANKLYS pride.

There are places I remember.....

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #10562 on: December 30, 2010, 11:15:54 am »
but wasn't one of the problems that Bob didn't want the shadow of shanks (and he probably had a shadow that could walk and talk on its own) around the place?

such a strong personality the argument was players would have been torn and Bob wouldn't be able to lead wasn't it?

the issue then is how  do you treat the man with the respect he clearly deserved but keep him apart?

tricky that and  the club just didn't know how and took the easy option - very sad

Yes I am sure there was a bit of that, when Matt Busby retired and he was made a director of Utd, the players always deferred to him rather than the manager, Wilf McGuiness, Dave Sexton, Frank O'Farrell,  I think it was McGuiness who took all the shit, being compared to Busby etc.it took a while before United sorted it but they did and Sir Matt stayed on the board.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10563 on: December 30, 2010, 11:18:33 am »
Vic, if you don't mind, I'll answer that with a quote from Johnno's excellent post .......

"The immeasurable pomposity and ingratitude of these shitehawks defies understanding....

Giants of the game gave the very essence of their being to the clubs they served with great distinction - there are far too many unsung heroes in the old game to list here but I think you can get my drift.

Shabby is not the word to use to describe how so many of them were treated after ahem "the Lord Mayor's show"  as it were.

The honour these guys earned by their vision, their strength of character, their belief in the right things must never be allowed to be diminished by the midgets in boardrooms. "

Lovely post that, I will save it if you don't mind. I have a little bit more for you but I will post it this afternoon ok
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10564 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:51 am »
Lovely post that, I will save it if you don't mind. I have a little bit more for you but I will post it this afternoon ok

It was Johnno's Vic and yes it was a lovely post and yes, please put some more up this afternoon.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline happydaze

• ...arefuckinhereagain!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #10565 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:18 pm »
Alright ladies and gents, just wondering if any of you remember Andrew Hannahs equaliser against burslew port vale to preserve our only unbeaten full season in the 1893/4 season, to clinch our promotion from the second tier. Scored from a bounce ball on their line, after the ball was lost in a scrimmage(ruck) on the port vale  line

It was a long time ago, but I could have sworn it was Burslem Port Vale. It was the only league goal Hannah got for us, and the match was won by an 89th minute goal scored by Joe McQue.

(got the gen from "Liverpool- A complete Record" by Brian Pead. Covers 1892-1986)

Living in the past better than the present at the moment when it comes to OUR team!!! >:(

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10566 on: December 30, 2010, 03:11:02 pm »
Just dropped in to wish all you Arl reprobates all the very best for the New Year.
Let's hope it's all you would wish for you and your's and of course for the greatest Football Club on the planet.

Let's hope it's a good one....without any tears eh?

Have a great one boys & girls.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #10567 on: December 30, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »
Just dropped in to wish all you Arl reprobates all the very best for the New Year.
Let's hope it's all you would wish for you and your's and of course for the greatest Football Club on the planet.

You too, Ray - and my best wishes to everyone on here as well for a happy and healthy 2011.   

Thankfully no tears yet - blind rage is the only thing holding them back, to be honest!   >:(

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #10568 on: December 30, 2010, 03:41:22 pm »

All the best to you and yours mate - good to see you back posting, there was a concern you had got your marching orders like the Bournemouth 1.

Hope we all get what we want for 2011 - although to be honest I'd be happy with getting through the night without having to get up for a pee!
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #10569 on: December 30, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »

You too mate, and get back on here posting, you arl quim...   ;)

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10570 on: December 30, 2010, 04:03:17 pm »

Starting to worry about you mate, is all ok ? Thanks for that and may I wish you and yours everything you wish for your selves

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10571 on: December 30, 2010, 04:06:47 pm »

Nice to see a friendly 'reprobrate' username posting in here. 

Hope you and yours have a peaceful and Happy New Year.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10572 on: December 30, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »
To continue,

I might add that I count Everton amongst the clubs who have welcomed me over the last few seasons. I have been received more warmly by Everton than I have by Liverpool.
It is scandalous and outrageous that I should have to write these things about the club I helped to build what it is today. It would have been a wonderful honour to have been made a director of Liverpool Football Club, but I don't go round saying "I would like to be this or that, That's begging and I'm not a beggar!! No no-- anything I have done and everything i have got, I have worked for.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #10573 on: December 30, 2010, 04:33:20 pm »
Tommy Docherty invited me to Old Trafford when Manchester United played Liverpool in a night match. Tommy invited me to have a meal with him in the restuarant and we enjoyed a wonderful hour of banter before the match. Sydney Reakes, the liverpool director said to Tommy "I see Bill Shankly is here", "Aye" said Tommy, "he's always welcome here".

For shame. The mancs treated Shanks better than his own did.

Purslow had one or two historical predecessors with us it seems.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #10574 on: December 30, 2010, 04:39:16 pm »
but wasn't one of the problems that Bob didn't want the shadow of shanks (and he probably had a shadow that could walk and talk on its own) around the place?

such a strong personality the argument was players would have been torn and Bob wouldn't be able to lead wasn't it?

Thats true Vulmea, Bob had the hardest job in many ways because he had to walk in Shanks's shadow. But its still strange how he was treated so discourteously. A bit of tact and nuance would have been in order.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10575 on: December 30, 2010, 05:25:45 pm »
So between our two biggest rivals they treated  a man so revered by our supporters with more respect and decency than our own board of directors and to think Shanks once said  if Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'  I believe that would have been said in jest Vic but it does make you wonder whether he would ever come to regret saying that.

A forward thinking man who not only changed the playing and training methods but also the ethos of the club, laying the foundations for where we are today to be treated in such an unfair manner, is very hard to fathom.   

I know Shanks was a massive personality to have around and that would have put unfair pressure on Bob but surely there was a compromise the board could have made, given that both men would have known each other inside out. 

Who knows what our history would be now had the internet been available all those years ago.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #10576 on: December 30, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »

Back at you Shanks mate.

Don't go getting yourself lost now eh lad? This place can't afford to lose its nuggets... ;)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #10577 on: December 30, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »

A forward thinking man who not only changed the playing and training methods but also the ethos of the club, laying the foundations for where we are today to be treated in such an unfair manner, is very hard to fathom.   

It's very interesting to note the parallels between Matt Busby and Shanks - aside for the obvious Scots, working class etc
Before he came to pick up the shattered pieces of what was left of Old Trafford after the Luftwaffe had finished with Trafford Park, Matt was offered a third coach position at Anfield - a bit part role for the club's ex-skipper now the war was over. Matt - ever a determined visionary - wanted more than a bit part role. He wanted to call far more shots than any club manager of those times had ever done. Liverpool in making the standard offer of a back room position to him missed the changing mood of the nation post 1945. Had they taken a chance on the 36 year old Busby and his of their time outrageous demands to run the playing side of things who knows what might have happened ?

Shanks was both a big fan and a great friend of Matt. True believers in the ideals of honour, integrity and a feel for the common man, they changed the face of football in this land forever. Interesting too was the role Matt played as club captain of Liverpool in taking a certain youngster from Bishop Auckland and Wearside under his wing immediately prior to WW2. 
We all know that in  due course that young unassuming bloke from the North East would go on carve his own pride of place - writ large in the annals of our game.
Bloody hell eh - what a time it must have been to have been around such visionaries making their magic with bringing through the raw talent that we had - and still have imo - in these islands of ours.

I believe though that today's football masters - many of them knowing Jack about our game, its history and traditions - and most caring less ! - would never tolerate the time necessary for the building of teams a la Busby, Shanks and Paisley.

These acknowledged greats of our game would have been given very short shrift in the success NOW mentality that pervades and poisons our game.
What on earth has our game become? A cash cow for all the pimps of the planet. Bastards
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #10578 on: December 30, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »
So between our two biggest rivals they treated  a man so revered by our supporters with more respect and decency than our own board of directors and to think Shanks once said  if Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains.'  I believe that would have been said in jest Vic but it does make you wonder whether he would ever come to regret saying that.

I know Shanks was a massive personality to have around and that would have put unfair pressure on Bob but surely there was a compromise the board could have made, given that both men would have known each other inside out. 

Who knows what our history would be now had the internet been available all those years ago.

To be fair I think that Liverpool had seen what had happened at United after Busby had retired and been made a director, he had continued to cast a huge shadow over the club, successive managers had struggled in that shadow, eventually resulting in relegation. I've no idea how seriously Liverpool looked at the prospect of making Shankly a director, but do recall conversations comparing the Busby scenario.

The club did appear to learn from this and the treatment of Paisley follwing his retirment was vastly different, maybe the result of a different age, but I do think that the Shankly experienced played some part in it, culminating in him returning to support Kenny.

I think it is very fair to say that Liverpool's treatment of Shanks was shoddy, at best, even if the reasons were genuine and sincere. It would have been difficult for everybody at the club, from tea lady to chairman, to stop treating him as the boss, to give Bob the space that would be required to continue the clubs development, but it could have been done in a more sensitive way than it was. Shanks had a lifelong suspician of men in football's boardrooms, Liverpool's treatment meant that he took this suspician to the grave with him.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10579 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »

You are right Johnno that ‘masters’ know Jack, we’ve got one in Purslow now who enjoyed playing virtual football manager and took the hideous decision to sack the one man whom many of believed was our new Shanks, Paisley & Busby.  Unfortunately after one bad season Rafa was a victim of the here and now and the actions of one man who was not only led by the media but also an instigator of it. 

As for the cash cow, hopefully for us we’ve gotten rid of the worst possible owners and I sincerely hope you are as successful with your battle.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10580 on: December 30, 2010, 08:27:19 pm »

It’s sad isn’t it John that had the board that Shankly was so suspicious of shared the same footballing vision as him he’d have been an automatic choice for a directorship.  That in itself would seem to have been the right decision for everyone from Shanks, to Bob to the Club.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10581 on: December 30, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »
Just looking through this thread, and thinking, isn't it lovely that we can all chat about every aspect of life and football, and even with our resident Manc (Johnno) without any bickering whatsoever?

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #10582 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »
Just looking through this thread, and thinking, isn't it lovely that we can all chat about every aspect of life and football, and even with our resident Manc (Johnno) without any bickering whatsoever?

Yer wha?, johnnos a Manc, fck that what a cnt.

Pheeny

« Reply #10583 on: December 30, 2010, 10:32:30 pm »
why have I only just found this thread...

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10584 on: December 30, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »

Too busy cleaning up the hundreds of other threads that could all be rolled into one?

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10585 on: December 30, 2010, 10:40:31 pm »
Yer wha?, johnnos a Manc, fck that what a cnt.
Quick, trip him up and throw a bucket of shit on his head..

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10586 on: December 30, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »

You calling Johhno a mushroom  ;D

He might be our resident Manc but I think he's a scouser at heart  :P

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #10587 on: December 30, 2010, 10:49:06 pm »

Yer wha'? Over pheeny's head :duh
I mean he did say he just found this gem of a thread ;)

(just joking,Boss)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10588 on: December 30, 2010, 10:54:11 pm »

Too busy clearing all that snow up Belshy

Pheeny

« Reply #10589 on: December 30, 2010, 10:56:44 pm »

Too busy clearing all that snow up Belshy
ouch...

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #10590 on: December 30, 2010, 11:00:18 pm »
It’s sad isn’t it John that had the board that Shankly was so suspicious of shared the same footballing vision as him he’d have been an automatic choice for a directorship.  That in itself would seem to have been the right decision for everyone from Shanks, to Bob to the Club.

I can remember myself and a couple of mates, doing the tour of Anfield in the late 70's , we were showed around the ground and the dressing room, had our photos taken with 'big ears' and in the tunnel touching the sign as normal. The three of us were all really disgusted, that at that time, there was absolutely nothing at Anfield to signify that Bill Shankly ever existed not even a photo.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10591 on: December 30, 2010, 11:00:38 pm »
ouch...

Have you sorted it all out now Pheeny?

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10592 on: December 30, 2010, 11:10:33 pm »
I can remember myself and a couple of mates, doing the tour of Anfield in the late 70's , we were showed around the ground and the dressing room, had our photos taken with 'big ears' and in the tunnel touching the sign as normal. The three of us were all really disgusted, that at that time, there was absolutely nothing at Anfield to signify that Bill Shankly ever existed not even a photo.

Unbelievable isn't it pooley. 

Maybe now we are going round in circles, the treatment meeted out to Shanks, rectified with Bob, reverted back to Rafa, who knows where it will end with Hodgson.

Pheeny

« Reply #10593 on: December 30, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »
Have you sorted it all out now Pheeny?
sort of.Thanks.

Pheeny

« Reply #10594 on: December 30, 2010, 11:16:13 pm »
Right can I have peoples opinions on Talk Shite.Do you think we should allow threads/links to them?

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #10595 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:02 pm »
'Talk Shite' is just that, 'shite'.  Enough of that gets posted without quoting from a dubious shite source. I would say no.

(OK, I'm in OZ but my brother shares some of the shite said. It's terrible)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10596 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »

Wasn't there something at the time the Kemlyn got done about re-naming it the Shankly stand, but they went with the centenary for some reason. Bit weird that it was a good opportunity and the centenary is such a shit thing, only ever about making dough. I know there's the Shankly gates, Paisley gateway and now the statue but still think that stands (main & Kemlyn) would be more appropriate. 

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #10597 on: December 30, 2010, 11:23:40 pm »
Right can I have peoples opinions on Talk Shite.Do you think we should allow threads/links to them?

I've never listened to it to be honest as I've seen posts on here where people get really wound up by it, so I give it a wide berth plus the fact if they are spouting rubbish, you have to ask if they are are genuine fans, if that makes sense.

Pheeny

« Reply #10598 on: December 30, 2010, 11:26:13 pm »
I'm more concerned with the Kelvin MacKenzie link.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10599 on: December 30, 2010, 11:27:36 pm »

Tony, its more the McKenzie link that pisses me off, why would anyone associated with Liverpool want to see themselves associated with it? Anyhow as I understand it, he's long gone now and if knob-eds want to spend their time listening to it and quoting the shite on it, its up to them. In all honesty, it could bring the standards of the threads down any lower than they already are. Think the site is so big now you'd never stop the knobs.

If it was not moderated there would soon enough be S*n links out there.