Author Topic: Coconut Grove/The Cocie  (Read 7959 times)

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
Coconut Grove/The Cocie
« on: October 5, 2013, 12:01:49 am »
I haunted the place for years, especially Wednesday and Friday/Say nights.  Anyone else? Remember the head doorman Brummie?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Coconut Grove/The Cocie
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2013, 08:31:39 am »
Heres a piece about him in the echo last year , i was a permanent fixture there every sunday .

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/former-nightclub-doorman-john-brum-3335583

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2013, 09:04:38 am »
Heres a piece about him in the echo last year , i was a permanent fixture there every sunday .

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/former-nightclub-doorman-john-brum-3335583

Great link thanks mate. 

I was in Blackpool for a weekend back then and we stopped at a boxing/wrestling booth with a big crowd outside it.  In the crowd were two of the bouncers from the Cokey, we told them we'd tell Brummie they were sh*thouses if they didn't have a go.
The guy they had to fight was a European champion at this weight, and a UK champion at that.  Anyway the first guy got battered, and he submitted by slapping his hand on the canvass.  When the second bloke (name escapes me) got in, the "Champion" smacked him in the nose straight off.  He just looked at the blood on his hand and turned mental. Within 20 seconds he had him on the deck punching his head in!
4 guys were trying to pull him off and waving his winnings at him.  Following Wednesday we were in the Cokey and we told Brum about his heroes..he laughed his head off!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2013, 09:55:21 am »

Thanks for that mate, when Kascades opened on Rose Lane in the Summer of 1987 I worked there and Brummie was on the door, he was a character and a very funny man, its mad to think he's 70 now!

In the mid-80's the Coccie was a great place, rarely saw any trouble and it had a great atmosphere. Its mad that you should post that because I drove past it in the week and parked at the lights I looked over and reminisced about how many great nights me & my mates had in that derelict building that's become an eyesore of the district.

Great stuff lads.

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2013, 12:54:25 pm »
Brummie also worked in Rockfords for a time and we used to have a lock-in with him and another doorman until the early hours challenging them with lateral thinking questions.  It never fails to surprise me how good he was at solving them.  We also got pished btw.

The Cokey was originally a bowling alley, remember it when we lived in Muirhead avenue.

Sunday night always finished with Sinatra singing New York.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »
The Coconut Grove was a place for middle aged,chicken in a basket people initially and then it was full of punters full of E's and house music.

Annabells was the place to go. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »
I`ve done a lot of work in it over the years and used
to know Brummie, sitting here with a smile on my face.

girls in tiny shorts and bras as the condensation ran off the ceiling
like it was raining and soaking everyone.

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
Cokey was a great place.
A lad called Dermott was one of the bouncers, a cracking lad.
Brummie was Brummie!
Brilliant alternative to town on Saturday and Sunday nights. Plus if there was nothing doing the world famous 'Grafton' was only a bus ride away, but that was the road to hell!

Offline Cletus vanDamme

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:21:00 am »
I first went to the Cokie in about 1985, all my mates hassling me to go, didn't have any "going-out" shoes, only trainies at that age so had to borrow a pair. Only lad with feet big enough to lend me a pair of shoes wore size 14's. I was an 11 or 12. He lent me a pair of slip on size 14 shoes. Got changed and went in on my jack, got past the door, past the arl girl on the till and up the stairs. Never been in before, looking for a familiar face in the semi-dark, tripping over these psychedelic tree roots in these fucking clown shoes, sticking to the "carpet", spilling my bevy everywhere, great days.

Spent most Fridays and Saturdays in there, Sundays sometimes although it was mostly for posers on a Sunday, who would mostly inhabit the "more exclusive" top bar. We used to go on a Wednesday for a while and they used to do a "spin the wheel" type of thing, when a large wheel with various options would be spun by a "selected" member of the crowd, and it would stop on "half price beer" or "doubles for a pound" which would last for half an hour until the wheel would be spun again.

I remember a former acquaintance who was always looking to impress the owner Mr McGorrin and Head Doorman Brummie "winning" a bottle of Southo one night in a staged raffle. Instead of keeping it intact and giving it back at the end of the night as per instructions it was opened and consumed by one and all. Rest assured he never did that again !

Door staff were always great, dealt quickly with any trouble and we used to regularly see miscreants removed from the club via the back doors in the corner. Saw plenty of trouble outside though, with pitched battles in Green Lane and coaches from out of town being boarded outside the club and a few heads knocked together.

Also remember a local lad who was an absolute ringer for one of Bros, a popular beat combo of the day. The Cokie had by this point started up a kids disco on a Wednesday afternoon or something, and we had mentioned the Bros thing to an always business-savvy Brummie. "Bring him down on Wednesday" he said, and he had all these fliers and posters done advertising that one of Bros would be turning up to the kids disco as a VIP. We duly turned up with our mate, half an hour after the doors opened, him resplendent in a leather jacket, gelled hair, funny kecks and the shoes with the Grolsch caps on them. A few of the lads went in as his security and all the kids went fucking wild, ripping his clobber and screaming. They had to fight to get him back out. Fucking great days.

Had the pleasure of a few beers with Jan Molby a couple of years ago and I asked whether he still kept in touch with Brummie. He said he did, and that Brummie was well and living up in the Scottish Highlands. He never knew me more than any other punter but he was always fair and would always let on, even if you saw him in town or away from the Cokie.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2013, 02:37:09 pm »
^ nice one.

the Bros look-a-like story.

:lmao

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2013, 09:29:19 am »
  :o

Forgotten about that horrific fashion crime. Jaysus.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 5, 2016, 10:28:07 pm »
To be demolished.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-coconut-grove-nightclub-set-11977499
Read that earlier.

More to the point, from a few posts ago.

Quick, grab ya grolsh bottles, Bros are back.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37561421

I don't know whether to laugh hysterically, or cry.  ;)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2016, 09:12:18 am »
Wednesday night was when I used to go,some great times & real funny stories too.
I hate seeing places that hold a lot of fond memories razed.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2016, 05:19:34 pm »
Remember the Painted Wagon next door had a few Friday afternoon sessions in there during the late seventies.
The Wagon was the best alehouse for miles around that area...heaving every night of the week. At the weekends it was off to Annabelles too....with the glass dance floor and the great music.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #15 on: October 9, 2016, 09:05:50 pm »
^ nice one.

the Bros look-a-like story.

:lmao

;D

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .