Author Topic: Favourite old Liverpool bus routes  (Read 38376 times)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Re: Favourite old Liverpool bus routes
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 11:09:59 pm »
The 500, which gave rise to the old joke....how do you get an elephant to speak?

Offline Mike_LFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 08:16:04 pm »
There was a 4 and a 5 from town to Woolton ( possibly on to Belle Vale / Lee Park ? )
  Used to get the 4 I think it was from picton clock to play golf at allerton after school in the late 80's.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »
My fave routes were the number 1 which went from Dingle to Seaforth along the dock road and the 67 which was basically a dockers' bus that went from Old Swan to Seaforth. Anyone have any other faves?
We used to get the H1 which went through Aigy Vale to Hale when we went fishing. The old Routemaster was great. One would occasionally turn up as a 61 to take us to school.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »
The 500, which gave rise to the old joke....how do you get an elephant to speak?
The 500 was great, It would stop at Aigy Vale and I think it only stopped once again before town.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:27 pm »
12C for me to get home, but used to love the 14 when it went past Anfield on Match Day, used to get a saveaway and try and see into the ground from the top deck. Never could though :D Although used to see the team training at Melwood from the top deck of the 12c, Amazing to think of the amazing players I saw @ Melwood during my youth (late 70's/80's) from the top deck of a bus, at the gates and climbing on my mates shoulders to see in :P

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »
Ahh the old Ribble bus! Ours was (and still is, but Arriva now) the 345, it used to come from Skem through to Aintree and finish in the old Skelhorne St dump. They nearly always used to change drivers at the depot on Ormskirk Road as well.

Ah the old days of Maghull to town and spending half the journey at that depot...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 03:34:15 am »
78 to Halewood from Town, down the high Street and Woolton. On a friday night it was like 3:10 to Yuma only more violence and with better singing :D

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:56 am »
78 to Halewood from Town, down the high Street and Woolton. On a friday night it was like 3:10 to Yuma only more violence and with better singing :D

My route too that Kavah.

There was a 4 and a 5 from town to Woolton ( possibly on to Belle Vale / Lee Park ? )

Used to get them as well, not sure about Belle Vale though as I can remember the terminus on Hunts Cross Avenue at the bottom of Manor Road. 
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:15 am »
88 Garston circular, only cos as a ragarse kid when saveaways came out you were on it for ages.
Used to sit on that thing for hours, that and the 66. The 79 form Netherley to Town was always eventful when I was a kid.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »
Here's a bus a few might remember..

Note it's all silver and not corporation green.
We called them the Coronation buses as I think we'd been told they had been specially made or finished in that scheme to celebrate the Queens Coronation.
No idea if that's correct though.
They did seem to have a slightly different upholstery to the standard ones, a tad more comfortable.
I remember them sometimes on the Leyfield Road to Townrow trip as a small lad in 60-62 (I think the fare was 1d, possibly a halfpenny)
They seemed to disappear off the streets by the mid 60's but maybe just got repainted.

Wow can't believe that picture that just takes right back to being a little kid.

I loved our green buses but was in heaven when one of the silver ones came along. It's true there were only a few of them but you're right they had plush fabric on the seats and I think wood trims in the saloons as well. Used to love it when the conductor would let you push the bell button just by where he stood.

I lived by the Black Bull and I think the silver ones did the 92 and 93 routes to Kirkby via the Bull as well as the route in the photo.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »
The 147 and you know you're in heaven?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlBeSlDLxlA
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:37 am »
Has to be the 500 - limited stop is where it's at baby!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
Was it the 68 that used to run from Aigburth to Bootle,you needed
a haircut by the time you got off it took that long.

:D

The 61A was even worse; It was frm Aigburth to Bootle to but went through Old Swan , West Derby then down Long Lane then went arond Netherton for a few days then to Bootle.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »
What was the bus that went from Kirkby then round the back of Canny Farm then on to Bell Vale?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »
What was the bus that went from Kirkby then round the back of Canny Farm then on to Bell Vale?

Might have been the 89...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:06 pm »
Didn't start going over to Liverpool until the late 80s, but used to like the 217 Pier head-Halewood good 2hr run, liked the post d-reg 91 Pier Head-Crosby as well.

Loved getting off the Ferry at Pier Head buying a bag of Chips from the Chippy there, going up to the balcony to eat them whilst watching the bus movements around the bus station. I loathed the middle Z stands at the Pier head, with the last couple of stands open to the elements, & loathed that dreadful Subway. Strange to think Mann Island is busy again with buses terminating/starting there.

Also loved the 34 Liverpool-Manchester, going down the Liverpool Road-East Prescot Road overtaking the slower buses. :)
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »
Might have been the 89...

The 89 was St Helens-Speke via Prescot & Huyton [although the 89 is now St Helens LJL Airport] & never gone through Kirkby, might be one of the Industrial routes or the old 92 which was Crosby-Halewood via Kirkby
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:37:29 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
Think it may have been the 194 or 192.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
anyone remember the infamous Kirkby school bus - the 101?...(Southdene to Northwood)....often had to detour to Kirkby police station (once or twice on fire) cos of the young loons on the top deck..

they eventually 'scrapped' it and renamed it the '13' ....didnt really think that through did they?  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »
Used to get them as well, not sure about Belle Vale though as I can remember the terminus on Hunts Cross Avenue at the bottom of Manor Road. 
Ah the 5......that's the one that sprang to mind for me ;) Happy days. Was seeing a bird in Hunts Cross and I'd leg it across the golf course to get to the 5 bus stop and take the last one home to Granby.

A few others I remember - 68 from Eggie Vale to (senior) school. OoohCampione, I reckon I know what school you went to ;)

Junior school bus for me was the 60. Used to get that from its terminus by the old corpie building top of Ullet Rd, bottom of Belvedere. School was on Greenbank Road (Morrison CP, popular feeder for Quarry Bank btw). Going home was fun. I'd turn on to Smithdown and look ahead to the lights and see if the 60 was waiting to turn. It was then a mad dash of what felt like a mile (probably about 600 metres) to get to the stop by that weird girls' school with the purple uniforms....missed more than I caught but it was fun to try! :)

(The buses, not the girls :P )

As a quick aside, there's a church on that stretch, between Ullet Road and Greenbank, and I remember the JESUS SAVES sign on it......with "RUSH PUTS IN THE REBOUND!" under it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:15 pm »
Oh the H25! Good call ;D Used to run that one just for the shits and kicks......I had a misspent youth......

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2012, 10:01:23 am »
The 26/27 that ran on the Shiel Road circular route starting and ending at the old Central Bus station. 27 ran clockwise, the 26 did the same route anti clockwise.

Ran every 6 minutes, they used to drive them like maniacs, and they were the first ones in the late 70s to have those automatic ticket machines on [note to any youngsters reading - thats what you call cutting edge technology, forget all your 4g smart camera phones].

Used to get the 27 up to Belmont Road, and as you got off you'd be looking back up W Derby Road to see if an 18 was coming. If it was, you'd then take your life in your hands legging it over Belmont Road and down Rocky Lane to catch said 18, cos under no circumstances did you want to miss it and end up wating a whole 7-8 minutes for the next one....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »
Am I the only one who hated those ticket coin thingies on the 26/27?? Did my head in....thank christ for zonies!

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »
Liverpool to London National Express for away days  in that London. Set off on a Friday around midnight from Skelhorne Street, got you into Victoria for 6 a.m. So a few hours in the morning waking up and going to see some art, then off to the match. After the game, some beers and more art, then there were two buses coming back to Liverpool. The one that set off earlier at 11 actually took longer to get to Brum as it went via Heathrow.. The later one was less packed, and has a longer break at Brum whilst waiting for the earlier one to catch up, so you got a decent stretch of the legs. Got back into Liverpool for about 6 on the next morning, so you'd wander around deserted streets bleary eyes until the trains started running.

Bus was packed with right characters. It was dirt cheap at the time too. I still do it occasionally from over the water. The journey home is easier as you can go straight to bed and catch some zzzs, thought there's only 1 bus coming back now and it takes about 7 hours.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »
Am I the only one who hated those ticket coin thingies on the 26/27?? Did my head in....thank christ for zonies!

Hehe - never said they were any good, just that they were cutting edge! Can still hear the 100 decibel Kerplunk noise as it digested your coins.

Only used zonies for a year or two-my school bus pass was one of those MPTE pieces of cardboard, with your name and address written on in biro - free bus travel all over the city on weekdays, and fully transferable to anyone who wanted to borrow it!

The "security measure" was that they used to change the colour of the cardboard once a year.

Zonies spoilt all the fun, what with your photo on it and everything.....

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:33 pm »
they eventually 'scrapped' it and renamed it the '13' ....didnt really think that through did they?  ;D

Or maybe they did!!  ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »
26/27...for me, Lodge Lane to school at St Margarets in Anfield ( don't ask!) also to the match...or sometimes into town ...cant recall if it was 26 or 27..think 26 went towards Anfield and 27 town....think there used to be a crosville bus that went up Lodge Lane then into town.....this is in the 60/70's btw....

Anyone remember those mad crossville busses with long seats and the ailse down the side?..

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 11:35:31 pm »
Anyone remember those mad crossville busses with long seats and the ailse down the side?..
That's prompted a memory or two mate, I particularly remember them when we use to go to Wales (Llangollen).

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 03:26:38 am »
Any one else get their kid's name painted on the buses - how to embarrass your kids while they're waiting for a bus with their mates :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:03 am »
Crosville buses - ah the memories. Wasn't the H25 a Crosville? And the H1 too? One of 'em would have a single decker....right? Mad seating inside them iirc.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2012, 09:35:58 am »
Used to love the old buses where you got on the back - with the bus conductor on board - used to always go upstairs and hope the conductor didn't reach us in time for us to pay our fare, before we got off again.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 07:38:54 pm »
:D

The 61A was even worse; It was frm Aigburth to Bootle to but went through Old Swan , West Derby then down Long Lane then went arond Netherton for a few days then to Bootle.

You needed an up to date passport for the 102
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
Many moons ago there was a girl who used to drink in the Oyster who was known as "The 102" because everyone in Crocky had had a ride on her!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »
Was it the 68 that used to run from Aigburth to Bootle,you needed
a haircut by the time you got off it took that long.

its still running now.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »
Crosville buses - ah the memories.........
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »
its still running now.
Yeah, its maiden run hasn't yet reached its terminus.....

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »
Although not necessary Liverpool bus routes, but anyone who fancies a day out, there's the Wirral Bus & Tram Show next Sunday 7th October between 10am & 4pm, at Pacific Road Arts Centre, & Wirral Transport Museum in Birkenhead it's a good day out, with free bus rides scheduled, including special feeder route from Kirkby calling in Liverpool City Centre. http://wirralbusandtramshow.wordpress.com/
#Sausages

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #77 on: October 2, 2012, 11:53:10 am »
L3 Ribble bus from Skelhorne Street to Crosby via Scotland Road seemed the height of luxuriant travel to me. :(

Just realised I've already posted about this in this thread. Fuckin' old age.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2012, 11:56:21 am by Lenin »
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #78 on: October 2, 2012, 02:03:03 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think that the bus on the left is a Ribble and the 2 on the right are from Southport...
« Last Edit: October 2, 2012, 02:05:02 pm by eAyeAddio »
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #79 on: October 2, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think that the bus on the left is a Ribble and the 2 on the right are from Southport...
Can't quite make out the herald on the side but it looks Ribble.
At first I too thought the two on the right looked like the old Southport Corporation colours but the destination boards on them aren't.
I found this old photo of Lord Street so I now don't think they are Southport ones, the colour scheme seems wrong, so no idea where they are from.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)