Author Topic: Notorious Liverpool Pubs - Then and Now  (Read 85794 times)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Notorious Liverpool Pubs - Then and Now
« on: August 8, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »
Apologies if this has been covered, but;

When telling people of a certain generation where I live, they mostly bring up a long gone pub called The Eagle & Child. This was a rough-arse pub which was known across the city, although it did supposedly have the longest bar.
Stories are still told today of the antics people got up to there, one time a motorbike was actually rode into the pub and around the bar, without anyone batting an eyelid!
I never actually went inside there, the closest I dared was doing penny for the guy outside when I was a kid.

What pubs are remembered for being rough/dangerous/wild, and what tales have you got from them!

PS - Others that spring to mind; The Western Approaches, Croxteth, The Flying Saucer, Speke and The Fantail, Kirkby.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
Re: Notorious Liverpool Pubs - Then and Now
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »
It's now a children's nursery but was formerly the 'Muncaster' in Bootle.
Went to support a mate there who was playing a 'Gig', on going to the bar was greeted by an ear placed in a glassful of ice. Apparently two fellas had a scrap and one had bit the others ear off, the barman said he was keeping it in case the fella who'd lost it came looking for it.
One scary fucking pub!

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:52:49 am »
Ha ha quality ^

lot's of potential in this thread.

I did venture into the aforementioned E&C and the Bow and Arrow which was rather exciting in the 80s.

You need to get some of the arl fellas from the auld arsed thread.

Being a halewood lad there's a few tales about the gren, the leather bottle, the halewood hotel and the bents when I've got my typing finger going. I was also present at the orient fruit machine riot which was the worst violence in south Liverpool in 1983 (true story).

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:31 am »
The Cuckoo, The Yankie (a riot in it's day), the Beer keller (someone had a shit on the table there once) The Pepper(thats a club but fuck it, it's off it's tits in there)...there's loads really when you come to think abar it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:33:12 am »
The Bluebell and the Hillside in Huyton were bad in their day. The Bluebell was like a smaller version of the Eagle and the Hillside choca full of baddies. In town the Yankee Bar was always scary after any match, especially if you were a bad Ted like me. Yates's used to be good as well going way back. Just come out and throw sawdust on it if someone puked.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:40:29 pm »
The Royal. Breck Road.

A right den of villainy and iniquity, in it's day.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:11 pm »
The Pepper(thats a club but fuck it, it's off it's tits in there)...there's loads really when you come to think abar it.

That the one off Utting Avenue East? Been for a few in there, it was truely off its tits!

Had a few in the Western too - not so much mad - just fucking intimidating.

The Peacock in Northwood isn't a posh one either.

Slightly off topic but once had a few bevvies and a bit of a scrap in a pub in Bury St Edmunds called the Mace Bearer. Just like the Slaughtered Lamb - Full of inbreds that didn't take kindly to OOTs
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »
'The Bluebell was like a smaller version of the Eagle and the Hillside choca full of baddies.'

Look like nice boys to me...
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:40 am »
Arranged to meet a mate in the Bluebell in the 80's - never been there before and wasn't my area . I'd heard it was a bit of a rough place .

Went in there and it was like one of those American films where the fella walks in and the bar goes totally silent .

Got a pint and quietly waited for my mate to show up , but was gettin proper daggers form a gang of lads in the corner . Must admit , thought I was gonna get a right kickin'.

Anyway , my mate shows up and turns out the evil mob in the corner were all his relatives . Nice as pie as soon as they knew who I was with , but never went there again .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:55:27 pm »
The Bow on Prinny Drive. Had an ecclectic mix of urchins, shot gun merchants and drug dealers and that was just the staff. The pubs regulars all hailed from the pubs lovely environs. Canny Farm, Dovey and Page Moss.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »
I remember getting caught well short for a piss on West Derby Road, stupidly walked in to Gregsons Well (now long since demolished) for a pint and a piss. It was like going back in time to when Oliver was set, I thought that mutt Bullseye was gonna make an appearence!
The bogs were ludicrous, the locals looked like pure meat heads so I swigged my pint in minutes and made my exit!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »
I remember getting caught well short for a piss on West Derby Road, stupidly walked in to Gregsons Well (now long since demolished) for a pint and a piss. It was like going back in time to when Oliver was set, I thought that mutt Bullseye was gonna make an appearence!
The bogs were ludicrous, the locals looked like pure meat heads so I swigged my pint in minutes and made my exit!

Remember that pub - Was indeed like going back in time !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »
That the one off Utting Avenue East? Been for a few in there, it was truely off its tits!

Had a few in the Western too - not so much mad - just fucking intimidating.

Started off drinking in the wessie,not as bad as it is today but you could find trouble if you wanted there no problem.

The "Green Pepper" as was was off its head and went through various guises during my time in Liverpool. I remember one day My Mum told my brother to give a group of lads a ciggie because she had seen that they only had one between them and was passing it around. Another time my brother and his mate tokk me there for my bithday(I think 17th) I had been given a watch for it. after leaving the pub I told them I had lost my watch in the pub. They ran back to get it just as a big fight was going on inside, as they were scrabbling around the floor looking for my watch I realised I had taken it off and put it in my pocket. I think that was the last time they took me out until I could pay for my own round.

One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »
they mostly bring up a long gone pub called The Eagle & Child. This was a rough-arse pub which was known across the city, although it did supposedly have the longest bar.

My old man got in the Eagle and Child a few times in his docker days.

Apparantley it was affectionatley known as 'The Bird and Bastard'

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:53 am »
The Dryden Edge Lane, you could do your weeks shopping in there, especially good for meats (close to the abbatoir).
The Crown, on corner of Walton Hall  & Stopgate.  The till got robbed once at the grocers across the street.  The cops asked the girl which way he went. She said ‘Back in the Crown’.
Western’s been done, that was the nearest to our house, but we never bothered.  We went to St Teresa’s club. One of the Irish priests, Father Carrolan, was dead hard. He set up the boxing club.  He made sure there was never any bother there.
Barry’s in West Derby village.  They wouldn’t serve you if you were over 18.
Hillside, Bluebell, E&C, Quiet Man, Bow & Arrow, all nice Bents pubs (later Bass).  I was waiting for the last No.10 bus at the Bluebell one night.  The bus pulls in and there murder on it, lads that must have got on at the Hillside.  The two lads spilled off, and in a few minutes it was all over.  The winner got back on the bus.  Then the loser got up, in bulk, got back on the bus and of we all went, the fight was over.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 06:31:13 am »
went into the coronation about 3 christmasses ago with a mate in belle vale.Horrible pub.Christmas day bevvy only place we could find open and got the right daggers.families snorting coke off the tables in front of their kids.stayed for two pints coz we thought if we stayed for one its admitting defeat.went the bog and got followed in by a big fella who looked like the sloth from the goonies.He propmptly asked me rather nicely to leave the premises."you dont belong here lad"
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »
The Bow on Prinny Drive. Had an ecclectic mix of urchins, shot gun merchants and drug dealers and that was just the staff. The pubs regulars all hailed from the pubs lovely environs. Canny Farm, Dovey and Page Moss.

Heard they're turning the B&A into a Chinese 'all you can eat'.

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:08 pm »
The Lobster.

Moss way, Crocky.
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline Sri Sudachan

• Utterly Lubberly but can't believe it's not buddha....
  • Legacy Fan
  • เบื่อๆๆๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »
The Royal. Breck Road.

A right den of villainy and iniquity, in it's day.

My mother was a barmaid there in the 70's.. She says it was crazy.
2000-2003-2004-2005-2007

Nothing to do with football but
    We won it five times!

Offline Grushko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 12:41:31 am »
I was also present at the orient fruit machine riot which was the worst violence in south Liverpool in 1983 (true story).

The Orient in Speke by any chance?
You are Always in our Hearts
You are Always in our Thoughts
We Will Never forget You
You Will Never Walk Alone

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 01:34:19 am »
The Orient in Speke by any chance?

oh yes, that fruit machine saw a lot of action with the ford workers and what not.

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »
My mate use to live behind  the Orient.. Seen Otsemobor in there a few times with his boys. Fucking horrible moody boozer that.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 08:27:48 pm »
Heard they're turning the B&A into a Chinese 'all you can eat'.

Thought the building has gone?  Don't get round that ay much know to be honest. Bought me first fivers weed their in about 87 I think. Fuck me was that nerve racking.

What about The Corrie by Hartsbourne ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 11:42:46 pm »
Thought the building has gone?  Don't get round that ay much know to be honest. Bought me first fivers weed their in about 87 I think. Fuck me was that nerve racking.

Still renovating the Bow & Arrow atm, looks like it will be open soon. I'll swerve it I think, I like those 'all you can eat' gaffs but not when it includes my teeth.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2010, 02:45:07 am »

We used to drink in there all the time about ten years ago. The manager back then was a beast and wouldn't stand for any messing from anyone, so it was mostly well behaved. As soon as he left it went down hill fast, it just ended up being over ran with smack heads so we stopped going there. It's all closed down now, they're demolising it to build flats i think.

Now The Turtle in Netherly, that was always rough arsed boozer.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2010, 06:00:11 am »
The Oak Tree and the Bow were shocking. I say were, the Oak is still open and is bad as any boozer on here
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2010, 06:55:59 am »
The Oak Tree and the Bow were shocking. I say were, the Oak is still open and is bad as any boozer on here

Aye, its a proper dive that gaff.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2010, 10:40:31 am »

It certainly was, I lived in Netherley all my life until about '97, I had my first bevvie in there. It burnt down about 3 times, the last time they rebuilt it they changed it's name to The Pheonix. The Blue Peter in Netherley was a nightmare as well.

I remember going in The Bay Horse one New Years Eve, that was mad.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2010, 10:43:16 am »
We used to drink in there all the time about ten years ago. The manager back then was a beast and wouldn't stand for any messing from anyone, so it was mostly well behaved. As soon as he left it went down hill fast, it just ended up being over ran with smack heads so we stopped going there. It's all closed down now, they're demolising it to build flats i think.

The Corrie was me familys boozer since the 50's. I used to go in me pram and me dah used to shove me dummy in his pint of bitter. Fuck me imagine that these days.I reckon every pub round there is moody. The Highway man towards Belle Vale springs to mind and does the Cats Whiskers. Never been in them personally but just going on stories Ive heard.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Barley Mow in Canny Farm was always mad. I remember being in there in the mid 90's on a Friday night and Big Dunc Ferguson was bladdered there with all coke dealers. That is not a lie!!
« Last Edit: September 1, 2010, 10:47:15 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »
The Corrie used to be sound when I was about 18, used to go there on the way into town, we'd jump off the 79 bus for a couple of pints in there. I'd heard it had gone downhill before it closed. Only ever went in the Highwayman once or twice, bit too moody for me. The Seventh Vale was ok during the day when I worked in Belle Vale shoppy, as was the Bridge Inn. Used to play footy on the little pitch at the back of the Bridge Inn in my youth, we could get away with having a spliff there as well. Right next door to the bizzy station.

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 10:33:42 am »
My gran lived in Poplar Street just off Breck Road and I remember her telling me even back in the 40s and 50s if you heard that there was trouble on Breck Road on a Fri/Sat night you just knew that it would involve the Royal.
For The Honour

Offline breck roader

• Main Stander
  • PSN annyroader2005
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
My gran lived in Poplar Street just off Breck Road and I remember her telling me even back in the 40s and 50s if you heard that there was trouble on Breck Road on a Fri/Sat night you just knew that it would involve the Royal.

arrll mans boozer that now! although someone else took over it and the young lads are starting to come back, its funny tho! you walk past it an the arrll fellas are in 1 room,and the young lads are in the next room cos thats where the pool table is! proper dive tho! theres fellas who stand outside smoking their rollies who look like they should be in the mos eisley canteena out of star wars!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
When I was growing up in Kirkby, the Johnny Todd and the Peacock were places you were told to stay out of. The chippy over the road from the Peacock had steel from the counter to the ceiling, with a little hatch that they passed your food out of.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Zeppelin

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »
Funniest boozer for me was the Royal George on London Road. We had a naked royal rumble in there on new years eve! fukin helarious!

Funniest boozer story was that my mates old man went to the Shakey in Kirkdale with a horse and just let it loose!  classic!

Roughest boozer iv been to was probably the fantail in Kirkby, or the farmers in Fazak!  there was allways murder in there!!   
Quote from: kdorg on Today at 02:09:38 AM
the more Pacheco doesn't play the better he becomes. He's turning into a cross between Maradonna Pele Messi and the holy fucking grail.

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2010, 10:41:41 pm »
It's not a pub now but a kiddies nursery. The Muncaster in Bootle.
Remember going in there for a pint and there was an ear stuck in a glass of ice waiting for the paramedics to pick it up.
Quickest pint I've ever fucking had

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #35 on: October 6, 2010, 07:25:12 pm »
The Red Lion in Prescot used to be a proper rough boozer years back apparently.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »
Funniest boozer for me was the Royal George on London Road. We had a naked royal rumble in there on new years eve! fukin helarious!

Funniest boozer story was that my mates old man went to the Shakey in Kirkdale with a horse and just let it loose!  classic!

Roughest boozer iv been to was probably the fantail in Kirkby, or the farmers in Fazak!  there was allways murder in there!! 
Your not fucking kiddin. Literally!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 8, 2010, 02:03:31 am »
Arl mans alehouse now and normally deserted but back in the late seventies, the BlackBull in Walton Vale used to go off every weekend in the lounge, all ways knew everyone so never worried about it, proper wild west table scattering stuff most fridays and saturdays, so quiet now they'd be made up to take in a month what they used to take every night in its hey day. Them days the Farmers was the arl mans alehouse round them there parts
« Last Edit: October 8, 2010, 02:05:07 am by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: October 8, 2010, 02:34:48 am »
The Red Lion in Prescot used to be a proper rough boozer years back apparently.

All the pubs in Prescot are rough, but a weird half-breed woolyback sort of rough.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #39 on: October 8, 2010, 09:37:22 am »
All the pubs in Prescot are rough, but a weird half-breed woolyback sort of rough.

I wouldn't say they're rough, just full of strange people. Plus, they're all shit holes.