Author Topic: Adverts on BBC website?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Adverts on BBC website?
« on: December 5, 2012, 11:53:49 am »
Has something managed to install itself on my fricken laptop?  Has anybody else seen them?  There's little text saying "ads not by this site".  Is it maybe because I'm hooking into free wifi?   ???
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Adverts on BBC website?
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2012, 12:03:25 pm »
Have seen that "ads not by this site" message in firefox before. It's a useful bit of info! Both potential causes you list are plausible but I think it's more likely some kind of adware. If you are in firefox, click "tools" and then "add ons" and list what is installed.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
I figured it out.  For some reason I'm getting the "outside the UK" version of the BBC website, which features advertising.  I can only assume this has something to do with the cafe wifi I am getting, but that's never happened in here before. Must be a proxy server or something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/ad-choices/
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2012, 10:47:00 pm »
I figured it out.  For some reason I'm getting the "outside the UK" version of the BBC website, which features advertising.  I can only assume this has something to do with the cafe wifi I am getting, but that's never happened in here before. Must be a proxy server or something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/ad-choices/

That's exactly the reason.  When I connect to my company's VPN which is based on Germany, I get ads on there (and German ads everywhere else) which is highly annoying!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »
That's exactly the reason.  When I connect to my company's VPN which is based on Germany, I get ads on there (and German ads everywhere else) which is highly annoying!

Snap. So whenever I'm browsing I bin the VPN off.

Normal service is resumed.
@ManifoldReasons