Author Topic: I stayed at home. Memories of a man not in Istanbul.  (Read 15931 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
I stayed at home. Memories of a man not in Istanbul.
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:13:36 pm »
Note: yes it has taken me this long to get over it.

It's 7am and the wind blows cold at Edinburgh Airport. In my hand but a second ago were 2 pieces of paper. Make that 2 pieces of gold etched with diamonds. On them bore the markings “Champions League Final”. And I had just handed them over to my regular Champions League travelling companion Michael. The final trip he’d have to do with his brother and others. I couldn’t go.

It is only after 3 and half months that I feel I can finally put away the counselling books and face up to the reality. I didn’t go to the final. And yes I had a ticket. Or two to be precise. Michael has elsewhere superbly detailed his travels to the final and as his companion in all the home games and one away, he and I both knew that the final was to be a touchy and delicate subject.

But now, fortified by a 12 yr old Glenmorangie, I can face up and on behalf of us left behind, remember my evening at home. Watching the CL Final on a tiny 14” screen in a rented flat not 100 yards from St James’ Park of all bloody places.

Armin, Michael and a variety of other RAWKites had texted and rang and multimedia’d their way around Europe. I on the other hand had spent all day making an episode of Byker bloody Grove.

For months this contract had meant that if we beat Juventus, and if we beat Chelsea then I would be left with a horrible decision. Turn down 3 months work so I’d be free, only to see some jammy twat from Chelsea tuck one away in the last minute and deprive us of a final place and me of work, or take the work and somehow get out of it for the day.

I was in the Kop sucking in Garcia’s goal v Chelsea, heart lifted to the heavens but also knowing that there was no way I was gonna make it to Turkey - it was sinking like that big ship near that iceberg. I tried, believe me I tried; perhaps in Liverpool the film crew would’ve been more amenable. But the Newcastle crew, as lovely as they were, were sympathetic in that way that says bless but hard lines Mr Hines.

So there I was handing over the tickets to Michael and with all true honesty I was dead chuffed for him but gutted as a cod in Iceland on National Cod Day.

So the evening came. The build up had been as everyone's ... banter, jokes, bravado. But as the time drew near, I fell kinda silent. I was, as always, worried. I’m not a fan who is universally optimistic, I sweat til the fat lady has not only sung, but packed her sarnies and headed off for the next gig.

Filming couldn’t finish quick enough. Take 1 suited me fine. If an actor said roughly what was on the script, sounded vaguely Geordie and didn’t knock over a little ‘un, I was satisfied.

Drove to the rented flat in a hurry. No plans to go to the pub, I wanted silence and peace and quiet, not half of Newcastle jeering or cheering. This was my team, not anyone else's.

My girlfriend and I sat down to watch the coverage. On the tiny telly. You know when your mum told yer not to sit too close to the telly cos you’d hurt your eyes, well she’d be laughing at how close I managed to get without getting radiation sickness or actually being sat on the tube itself.

Beer was taken. I was shifting around, like a kid the night before Christmas but terrified at the same time. Kewell? Not Didi? Ok, take the game to Milan Rafa by all means. But via Australia not Germany? That worried me. It didn’t help my nerves when I saw that Traore looked more nervous than the cod I mentioned earlier.

We all know what happened that night. At half time, me and my uncle both agreed we were glad not to be there but we couldn’t believe our eyes. We were both rubbish and unlucky. My girlfriend then says “Ah, you’ll win it ... don’t worry” She's a Sunderland fan. So that'll explain the Hope Springs Eternal perhaps...

I am superstitious. If we score, however I'm sat, whatever I'm doing (within reason, chainsaws, nudity and live electricity excepted), I’ll stay like that not daring to breathe in case I should sway the odds and Gods the wrong way again. Of course I know I’m daft but be honest, can any of us passionate, rational, intelligent but utterly prejudiced Reds, claim to be calm and ritual free?

Thought not.

Gerrard scores. I can’t quite grasp it but my breathing gets hard (my breathing I said) and when Smicer scores (still my favourite moment in that whole game) I was incapable of making any noise. I was going to be sick. I was now pressed up against the screen both eyes ruined permanently by radiation and bright light. And to this day a nose shaped smudge just where Lincoln is on the weather map.

Smicer’s goal was my favourite cherished moment of that night. For me, it was the moment when the score changed from consolation to comeback. It made anything possible. It made them stop and think. It made us believe. And by us, I mean you in the stadium. Me at home. Traore on the pitch. Bob n Bill up there.

Also it was a vindication of my fondness for Smicer’s talent, rarely shining but always there. The sheer joy on his face showed a man truly a Red. A footballer often maligned but when it really came down to it, his reaction, his nerve to shoot, his sheer joy at scoring all demonstrated where his heart really lay.

The penalties I didn’t see. I was behind the sofa. That’s when I wasn’t pacing up and down like a caged tiger at Billy Smart's Big Top on a pound of gazelle per pace.

I do recall mentioning that I’d strip naked, bang my knob off the neighbour's Golf and shout GET IN til someone’s cows came home if we won. Suffice to say part of that deal was done. (But the paint work’s come up a treat).

I have to pay tribute to those there. As galling at it was to be not-there, when I could’ve been, I was truly made up to be part of a tribe that truly had passion and love and never say die attitude. Despite ITV’s best plans to keep the noise down, I could hear us singing all the time. All the time. I was proud to be a Red.

Apparently there was a penalty shootout. Some people tell me there was extra-time or something. Of these I have no memory, except in the endless repeats on videos, mpegs and ‘after’ the event recordings.

I had ace reports, programmes brought back, phone calls, texts and softly treading mates and for all that I thank them. I had a great night at home watching with my girl and cheering and jumping around and drinking and for that I’m grateful.

But one thing's for sure, the feeling, the “Shit wish I was there bugger I’m not and I’m jealous as Captain Jealous from Jealous Town in the Envy Valley, County Peeved” feeling stayed with me for a long, long, long time.

I am happy to report though, dear reader, it went. I moved on, grew up and let it go.

It finally disappeared in late August. 2012.

© hinesy 2005
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 03:45:52 pm by Rushian »
Yep.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Re: I stayed at home. Memories of a man not in Istanbul.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:30:31 pm »
Nice account - I feel gutted for you missing out on it.

The Smicer goal was the moment for me too although the way Gerrard geed up the crowd and the other players after scoring seemed to signal to me the beginning of believing it was a comeback rather than a consolation.

Is spuggy still in byker?  ;D
Internet terrorist

Offline okcomputer

• Fuckwit
  • Kopite
  • Red Red Wine Stay Close to Me
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:31:31 pm »
Note: yes it has taken me this long to get over it.

Its 7am and the wind blows cold at Edinburgh Airport. In my hand but a second ago were 2 pieces of paper. make that 2 pieces of gold etched with diamonds. On them bore the markings “Champions League Final”. And I had just handed them over to my CL companion MichaelA. The final trip he’d have to do it with his brother and others. I couldn’t go.

It is only after 3 and half months that I feel I can finally put away the counselling books and face up to the reality. I didn’t go to the final. And yes I had a ticket. Or two to be precise. MichaelA has elsewhere superbly detailed his travels to the final and as his companion in all the home games and one away, he and I both knew that the final was to be a touchy and delicate subject.

But now, fortified by a 12 yr old Glenmorangie, I can face up and on behalf of us left behind, remember my evening at home. Watching the CL Final on a tiny 14” screen in a rented flat not 100 yds from St James’ Park of all bloody places.

Armin, Michael and a variety of other RAWKites had texted and rang and multimedia’d their way around Europe.
I on the other hand had spent all day making an episode of Byker bloody Grove. For months this contract had meant that if we beat Juventus, and if we beat Chelsea then I would be left with a horrible decision. Turn down 3 months work so I’d be free, only to see some jammy twat from Chelsea tuck one away in the last minute and deprive us of a final place and me of work, or take the work and somehow get out of it for the day.

I was in the Kop sucking in Garcia’s goal v Chelsea, heart lifted to the heavens but also knowing that there was no way I was gonna make it to Turkey it was sinking like that big ship near that iceberg. I tried, believe me I tried; perhaps in Liverpool the film crew would’ve been more amenable. But the Newcastle crew, as lovely as they were, were sympathetic in that way that says bless but hard lines Mr Hines.

So there I was handing over the tickets to MichaelA and with all true honesty I was dead chuffed for him but gutted as a cod in Iceland on National Cod Day.

So the evening came. The build up had been as everyones.. banter, jokes, bravado. But as the time drew near, I fell kinda silent. I was, as always, worried. I’m not a fan who is universally optimistic, I sweat til the fat lady has not only sung, but packed her sarnies and headed off for the next gig.

Filming couldn’t finish quick enough. Take 1 suited me fine. If an actor said roughly what was on the script, sounded vaguely Geordie and didn’t knock over a little ‘un, I was satisfied.

Drove to the rented flat in a hurry. No plans to go to the pub, I wanted silence and piece and quiet, not half of Newcastle jeering or cheering. This was my team, not anyone elses.

My girlfriend and I sat down to watch the coverage. On the tiny telly. You know when your mum told yer not to sit too close to the telly cos you’d hurt your eyes, well she’d be laughing at how close I managed to get without getting radiation sickness or actually being sat on the tube itself.

Beer was taken. I was shifting around, like a kid the night before Christmas but terrified at the same time. Kewell ? Not Didi ? Ok, take the game to Milan Rafa by all means. But via Australia not Germany ? That worreid me. It didn’t help my nerves when I saw that Traore looked more nervous than the cod I mentioned earlier.

We all know what happened that night. At half time, me and my uncle both agreed we were glad not to be there but we couldn’t believe our eyes. We were both rubbish and unlucky. My girlfriend then says “Ah, you’ll win it… don’t worry” She's a Sunderland fan. So that'll explaing the Hope Springs Eternal perhaps...

I am superstitious. If we score, however I was sat, whatever I was doing (within reason, chainsaws, nudity and live electricity excepted), I’d stay like that not daring to breathe in case I should sway the odds and Gods the wrong way again. Of course I know I’m daft but be honest, can any of us passionate, rational, intelligent but utterly prejudiced Reds, claim to be calm and ritual free ?

Thought not.

Gerrard scores. I can’t quite grasp it but my breathing gets hard (my breathing I said) and when Smicer scores (still my favourite moment in that whole game) I was incapable of making any noise. I was going to be sick. I was now pressed up against the screen both eyes ruined permanently by radiation and bright light. And to this day a nose shaped smudge just where Lincoln is on the weather map.

Smicer’s goal was my favourite cherished moment of that night. For me, it was the moment when the score changed from consolation to comeback. It made anything possible. It made them stop and think. It made us believe. And by us, I mean you in the stadium. Me at home. Traore on the pitch. Bob n Bill up there.

Also it was a vindication of my fondness for Smicer’s talent, rarely shining but always there. The sheer joy on his face showed a man truly a Red. A footballer often maligned but when it really came down to it, his reaction, his nerve to shoot, his sheer joy at scoring all demonstrated where his heart really lay.

The penalty I didn’t see. I was behind the sofa. That’s when I wasn’t pacing up and down like a caged tiger at Billy Smarts Big Top on a pound of gazelle per pace

I do recall mentioning that I’d strip naked, bang my knob off the neighbours golf and shout GET IN til someone’s cows came home if we won. Suffice to say part of that deal was done. (But the paint work’s come up a treat).

I have to pay tribute to those there. As galling at it was to be not-there, when I could’ve been, I was truly made up to be part of a tribe that truly had passion and love and never say die attitude. Despite ITV’s best plans to keep the noise down, I could hear us singing all the time. All the time. I was proud to be a Red.

Apparently there was a penalty shootout. Some people tell me there was extra-time or something. Of these I have no memory, except in the endless repeats on videos, mpegs and ‘after’ the event recordings.

I had ace reports, programmes brought back, phone calls, texts and softly treading mates and for all that I thank them.

I had a great night at home watching with my girl and cheering and jumping around and drinking and for that I’m grateful.

But one things for sure, the feeling, the “Shit-wish-I-was-there-bugger-I’m-not-and-I’m-jealous-as-Captain-Jealous-from-Jealous-town-in-the-Envy-Valley,-County-Peeved” feeling stayed with me for a long long long time.

I am happy to report though, dear reader, it went. I moved on, grew up and let it go.

It finally disappeared in late August. 2012.

mate the Champions League belongs to Reds everywhere, not just those who were there. 
Its for anyone that cried when we lost to Arsenal in 1989 or to Man U in 1996
its for anyone who was there in 1997 when we lost 3-1 at home to the mancs and lost the league

you werent there in body but believe me you were in spirit. there were 10 million reds in the arturk that night
Quote from: mrsphilthefish on 20/10/07 at 04:28:32 PM
A red jumped up when we scored and some bluenose jumped up and said "fuck off out you. How did you get a ticket in here you fucking red gobshite?"
To which the red replied "coz YOU couldn't sell your tickets to your fucking own, they even went on fucking general sale for fucks sake. So I put s

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:53:17 pm »
mate the Champions League belongs to Reds everywhere, not just those who were there. 
Its for anyone that cried when we lost to Arsenal in 1989 or to Man U in 1996
its for anyone who was there in 1997 when we lost 3-1 at home to the mancs and lost the league

you werent there in body but believe me you were in spirit. there were 10 million reds in the arturk that night

I'll second that.
And if you're old enough, include the defeat against Juve at Heysel, where in my young experienced mind, I was sure two penalties were denied the Reds, and a penalty for a foul outside the box was given to the Italians.

Offline Huyton Fatties

• Founding member of the Bootle Slims
  • Kopite
  • The Huyton Fatties
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:57:38 pm »
yes but Byker Grove is great  come on ;D
im the same went to every round and ended up in Guadelope for the Final :butt
Peoples Republic of Huytonia

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:03:35 pm »
Smicer’s goal was my favourite cherished moment of that night. For me, it was the moment when the score changed from consolation to comeback. It made anything possible.

Spot on. That goal changed everything. All of a sudden we were back in a game we had already lost.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 10:11:55 pm »
Thank God for that. I've been waiting for weeks.

The silent, simmering, eight hour round trip to the game with you has been unbearable.

At least we can talk again fella. ;D

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:14:25 pm »
;D

thought i'd best get it out before the weekend.

call me about what you wanna do on Sunday btw.
:wave
Yep.

Offline Thomas_A

• Anny Roader
  • The Redmen.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 10:17:49 pm »
Nice account mate. I stayed at home too (had tickets but holiday next day :'() Might post my account soon if its not too late. :P
A Liverbird upon my chest.........

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 10:31:49 pm »
Brilliant mate!

Can't believe you couldn't go!

Stupid Byker frickin Grove - I used to like watching that programme  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Jonno83

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 10:49:49 pm »
u were thier in soul lad
We will rise again...

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 02:32:09 am »
What a pile of...

Didn't see Michael there, must have been hiding behind a beer placcy bag (cue a comment from Michael shortly)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Bluto-clause

• ave a go hero, first punch is free
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 03:23:04 am »
Well you fucked up, i've seen he game on dvd and tv many times since,
and to be honest it just does not translate, there's no way anyone can ever
acurately describe the horror, the heartache, the fear of the first half as each goal went as was felt in that stadium
there's nothing I've read that acuratly describes the tearful rendition of YNWA at halftime
there are not words to tell of the churchillian fuck you defiance of singing were gonna win 4-3 as the teams ran out.
It was warfare, one goal back, our captain pumping fists at his troops
2 goals back, smicer puts a knife to the enemy throat
Penalty, xabi pulls the pin, the grenade bounces into the room
extra time and penalties, like hanging off a cliff by the fingernails, knowng help was on the way
it was the greatest night of my life and will never be beaten or fully understood by those who were not there.

BUT : That night would never have happened without each and every liverpool fan who screamed chelsea out of anfield,
and to those fans who were a part of that, take a massive bow, everyone salutes you.

During the week I check the boxes
At the week-end I fill in the blanks
And when I close my eyes at night
I'm the king of all I survey.

Offline Jonno

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Malaysian Red And White Kopites
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 04:56:29 am »
Great read mate, I too stayed at home, although mine circumstances is much much different from yours. I lived in Malaysia, and it'll cost in excess of 5 grand (Malaysian currency) to get there and back, and that's the backpacker's rate. The cost is more than twice my monthly salary, so I opted to stayed at home, by choice or lack of it rather.

I still remember that night, the pub that I always watch is open (albeit illegally, the game starts at 3am local time, and all night spots are to be closed at 2am, although some time they don't bother checking). Having just got married about a couple of weeks before that, I decided that going to the pub at 3am in the morning is not the best start to a marriage, especially i got to get up at about 6.30 am to get ready to go to work.
I could not concentrate at work at all, as soon as 6pm arrived, I ruched out of the office like a flash, rushing home, quickly get dinner, boought some beers to stock up in the fridge and then quickly jump into bed for rest, I've informed at least half a dozen of friends to give me a wake up call at 2.45 am to catch the match, great mates they are, started calling me froom 1.30am onwards, urging me to join them at the pub, giving up, I got up and watch the season review of the treble season, just to get the "spirit" going. 

The show started, they had cross over of viewing party from all over the country, my goodness, almost all the pubs were open that night and the authority just turn a blind eye, perhaps they knew it was one off and made the exception for the pubs to extend the hours. The game started, I was surprise to see the team sheet as well, thinking "who's gonna give us the steel in the middle?" like everyone else, I thought that Rafa would want to attack from the start to unsettle them, afterall, this is the Milan that has not have the best 3  weeks with fatigues showing in their old legs.
When the first goal went in, I thought it was final nerves, urged the lads to calm down and played our game, then the second, the third. I was devastated, to say the least, almost on the verge of tears.

At this time, my mates started SMSing me, telling me that the pub were so wuite and the scene there were like at a funeral, many of them crying. I cracked open the xth bottle of beer (I really lost count, only the next morning I knew that I had about 10 big ones, 750ml? Not too sure), listen to the local hosts making fun of us, predicting that it might be 4 or 5 or even 6, they were having a ball, both of them are Manc twat anyway. Because of that I didn't know about the half time YNWA, only read it here a while back.
2nd half started, when I saw Didi came in, I knew it'll be different, true enough, we played like men possessed, and possessed they were, when Gerrard scored the first, I jumped up and almost fell over, fists clenched, thinking "1 down, 2 to go, C'mon lads!" When Smicer struck that sweet, sweet shot, who crept in at the near post, I knew that instant I am watching perhaps the most exciting CL final in recent years. The confidence was back, not willing to miss anything, I got a mate who was watching to fetch the beers for me.

When I saw Gerrard made the run and pass to Baros, I thought "no, not Baros, he'll try to take on the whole Milan defence and lose possession!" but somehow he found his bearings and direction that night, a return pass to Gerrard who was then fell by Gattuso, we all know what happened after that, it was real nail biting stuff, and in my case, I had to wait till full time to go to the toilet for the first time to relief myself.
Extra time came and went, my heart must've skip a beat or 10 when Shevchenko heads towards goal, somehow I witness 2 great, legendary save by Dudek, "he's not a DUD anymore", I promise myself not to call him that, ever.

When penalty came, I had this funny feeling, coz English teams had this habit of falling at the penalties, Italia '90, Euro '96 and some I could not name at this time (I am still very emotional, hands are still shaking as I type, tears started to fill my eyes). When they go first, I felt good, at least the pressure would be on them to score first to put pressure on us, SAVED! Good god, what a save, then we scored, SECOND SAVE! I was certain that it'll be ours now, when the Dudek saved that penalti from Shecchenko, I jumped up from the couch, sceamed at the top of my lungs "YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! We're are the Champions!!!" (in which I received a few complain letters from other tenants of the same apartment blcok). And then started to cry like a baby... Couldn't stop crying, when I became a little settle, it was the prize giving ceremony, loved that Cisse jiggy around the trophy.

When Gerrard hoisted that big ol'ears up high, I started crying again, this time, I was thinking to meself, "how great it would be to be there." It confirmed when I read the accounts of so many of you here and in YNWA.tv.

By far it was the greatest night in my life, the only thing that could rival that would the sometime this week, my boy is due soon and I am not sure if I'll get the same emotion.
I want to thank all those who sang their hearts out in Istanbul, didn't stop singing even when the chips are down, thank you for making 25th of May, 2005 one of the best day of my life. I am now started to pan for the trip to Paris, if we make t again this time around, having missed one out, don't think I could bear missing a second one out. Watch this space, I'll be in contact if I'm coming over.

Again, thanks fellas, you've made one young man's (not very, all of 29 years old) night, made him stand tall amongst bandwagon hoppers of Chelsea Kiev and Moan USA understand what it is like to be a supporter of the GREATEST team in England. Made him envy with green of thise who've been there, made him glad that he has the chance to watch the greatest CL final live, albeit on TV. Most of all, made him determine to come over to Liverpool after a good 15 years of supporting to watch the Reds live for the first time! Will let you lads know when I'm coming.  :wave
"Son, every man on the street and in the pub has his own view about who should play where, his own team, so do I. The difference is, my team was put to the test time and again, yours weren't and will never be." Roy Evans to me in Kuala Lumpur.

Offline Bluto-clause

• ave a go hero, first punch is free
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 06:18:54 am »
I took out a bank loan thats going to take 2 years to pay back.
During the week I check the boxes
At the week-end I fill in the blanks
And when I close my eyes at night
I'm the king of all I survey.

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 07:05:22 am »
My mate couldnt go, season ticket holder for donkeys years, bumped into him just before I was flying out. I said Iwas gutted for him not being able to go. He said dont worry lad i`ll watch it in the pub i`ll still enjoy it becayse I know we`re gonna win. At the end of the game when the tears of joy flowed, I gave him a thought as I supposed we all did. So to the fans who could`nt make it you were there in spirit enjoy. :champ
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline groundhog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 09:08:37 am »
Thanks for the read.

You have my deepest sympathy - Byker Grove - christ, that's harsh.

Offline ScouserFreddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 09:32:58 am »
I Live in Egypt, so, it was hard for me to go to Turkey as i had an exam the day we played the final

i went to the exam so nervous as i was thinking of the game at night......i finished exam and hurried back home and prepared myself for the big game..i wore my Liverpool jersey with Alonso on the back the whole day....and some of my friends said "Milan will win tonight" and i told them "SHUT UP, We'll do it"

anyway, i watched the game alone....as my old man is a Man United fan....

ofcourse i was depressed by the first half.....3-0 !!!!!! are we actually 3-0 down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was going to have a heart-attack......and my father was making fun of me too and so...

i thought about one thing only....if we managed to score atleast 1 goal in the first 10 minutes of the the second half then there's hope....

and so it happened.....STEVIE scored ... still 3-1.......

SMICER scored.....3-2...at this moment i was 100% sure we will equalize

then XABI scored....but the moment between wasting th penelty then following the ball into the net was quite a moment....it was like the time has stopped.....first, i was like "OH MY GOD, THE CHANCE IS GONE".....then "YEAH, WE EQUALIZED"..."WE DID IT".....We scored 3 goals in 6 minutes and made fun of Milan's defence...

i conitued the game with joy....and now i was making fun of my old man and my friends who called me after Milan three goals....now, i called them and said "WE ARE BACK LADS"

the extra time .. i tried to relax a bit......but i was shouting "Dudek, I Love You" after he made that miracle save against Shevechenko's header..

then started the penelty kicks.....they start to miss their penelty kicks and i was becoming more and more sure that we will make it

then came the moment ... Dudek flying in the air and saving Sheva's penelty kick.....WOW....this moment i honestly don't know what i did....i was jumping and screaming and kissing my jersey and doing lots of things.....it was LIVERPOOL'S MOMENT

then i was singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" with the fans with a tear in my eyes....we actually came back to win that Cup.....

This Day is a day i can NEVER EVER forget as long as i live
in Istanbul after 60 minutes "look at the scoreboard, and never ever GIVE UP in your life" ;)

Offline Obstructed-View

• Anny Roader
  • Bring back the Rialto
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 10:18:28 am »
Great post by hinesy but I suspect he is really Michael Owen in disguise. ;)

I claim my ten pounds.
Protected by no European flag tho' Champion of all.

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 10:47:48 am »
don't know if this is any consolation but I did go, and had the pleasure of spending five days with people I have met through rawk and its former home on the connect bootroom.  Until that point I had considered them as warm compassionate people willing to tolerate my company pre and post match and who had stood by my erratic mental instability over the five years i had known them.  until this time the usual forces kids, family, money, work etc had conspired to ensurre I had never done a european away with them.  I had five unforgetable, somewhat surreal, highly eventful days in great company which still causes me flashbacks now and will  be etched in my mind throughout time.

However...... (and this is where the consolation might come in).... had i stayed at home i would not now still be paying the cost....because for those outside our world who watched on with objectivity (ie the missus), it wasn't just going to the final (for five day), that was the end of a process that along the way included all those nights on route when i came home happy, late and slaughtered telling tells of victory, it was the lifetime spent on line commenting on what had occured and what was to happen next, it was the eternal phone calls to sort tickets which were always 'he says you can have that one, if you swop that one and there might be a spare over here cos you sorted whatshisname for the first leg, it was getting up a 4am to queue for tickets and being useless for the rest of the day, it was the 'why do you have to be there for 5pm when kick off is 7.45", it was the fact that it dominated our life for not just five days but almost five months, it was that when you returned EVERY conversation, wherever we went, was always about istanfukinbul, .......and on and on and on, and "no, i do not want a bloody romantic weekend in paris in may next year cos i bloody well know its football related", and the bloody season has only just started and you have already watched about seven games.....

i don't know whether its just me, but the balance sheet looks somethign like this:
- my beautiful wonderful partner - how can you spend all that money and time and still not have bought me an engagement ring, and i know i said i wanted a pamper day at a spa but now i want a weekend at champneys, and the ring, and you at home, and a holiday, and thank you very much for turning my six year old into an obsessive who turns every conversation around to football and has learnt songs, strategy and tactics in a language i can barely understand.
- my 19 year old son cursing me for going to the final cos in 8 years of us coming to the match from derbyshire, every week in the evans erahis highlight was watching phil babb crash into a goalpost, and to make things worse he had an exam at uni  the day after the final so couldnt take me up on my offer to take him
- my seven year old still wants to know why i didnt take him, especially as i keep saying 'its a night you will never forget son" as he watches the DVD for the zillionth time
- the ex thinks well thats another ton a month on the maintainence - if you can afford to spend all your money on that.

so count your blessings :)   as match going this season is going to be a very negotiated, precarious and costly process.

Footnote to self: next time you are returning home plastered from a five day european jaunt with your mates do not no matter how drunk repeat the act of ringing the missus and saying " look we is it ok if we all come back to ours and would you mind popping to the offy and getting the ale in, some burgers and lighting the BBQ so we can carry on when we get back"
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 10:56:03 am »
so count your blessings :)
You count your blessings mate - went to Istanbul, have a beautiful, wonderful partner, three fine children, a BBQ, can even entertain the possibility of going to games..... ;) :wave

Offline highdolzhen

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 11:02:54 am »
I went to Istanbul and it was the most unbelievable night of my life. To set the backdrop, I have been living in HK for the last 8 years.

It all started the night we played Chelsea at Anfield.  Having stayed up for every single live Liverpool match (and for those in blighty, we get 1 or 2 live Liverpool match(es) a week - including PL and all the domestic cups) - I missed the Chelsea match. I had all good intentions to stay up, but got too drunk too early (we do not have 11 pm last orders here). When I finally managed to get up that night, I only caught a glimpse of Stevie G celebrating and then ESPN decided to show some crappy wind-surfing program (it was 5 in the morning afterall). Still half pissed, I decided there and then to find a way to get a ticket go to Istabul. I went on to the UEFA site and was dissappointed that the ballot for the neutral tickets closed 7 days back. I continued my google / yahoo search until the next morning and had no luck.

In the next few weeks I was constantly on ebay and numerous Liverpool forums hoping to pick up a pair of tickets. I got on to a number of leads but most of them Chelsea scums trying to sell their tickets. Also I learnt that flights to Istabul were pretty much fully booked. Refusing to pay ridiculous amounts to Chelsea fans (they are rich enough anyway), I finally got my tickets and flights through a Scotland based tour operator. They charged a lot, but at least I was guaranteed a flight and match tickets (at least I can pay by credit card and they are registered). I checked my passport - thank God I had just over 6 months left before expiry.

Monday 23rd May, I woke up in the morning with 60 million things yet to finish off. One by one I got them out of the way. By 530 pm there were only two things to get done. I went to the doctor with my wife to make sure the baby was not going to come out early (my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time). The doctor confirmed. Then I made my way to the airport (midnight flight) with my mate - we had to fly to England from Hong Kong before catching a connecting flight to Manchester (where the chartered flight were to leave).

The journey was largely uneventful - just like any long-haul journeys. We got to Manchester late Tuesday (24th) evening with the flight due to leave the following 4 am. We still werent sure if we were going to get our tickets. Afterall, all I had was a computer print out, which was so creased that I coulld harly read what was printed on it. Given it was very much a last ditch arrangement, I agreed with the tour operator that I would meet them at the airport to pick up the tickets rather than risking them going AWOL en route to Hong Kong.

2 am - By then we were two living zombies - in a completely wrong time zone and not having properly slept for many hours (it was only the beginning - I ended up not getting any proper sleep until Friday that week, 5 days after I last slept in a bed). We wanted to confirm the flight times, and saw on the flight scheule monitors at Manchester Airport a message - "Manchester Airport wishes Liverpool FC best of luck with the CL final". Am I  dreaming!!!???!!!

We finally got the tickets and saw the plane which we were to board.  We were given some tickets on the west stand (the main covered stand) but firstly they werent adjoining seats. We swapped for some tickets on the East stand (cheapers seats) but we were on the 6th row. It turned out to be right in front of where the miracle took place.

Having got the tickets, we could finally relax a little - knowing it would be a memorable journey. We just did not know how memorable it would be.

This is the first time I travelled with the Reds in Europe. I have only been to one other European night before (vs Leverkeusen when Sami scored the solitary goal). We all know what happened in the second leg. GH messed up big time (and as far as I am concerned, that was the beginning of the end of GH's Liverpool managerial career) in the return leg by taking off Didi). When the team sheet was announced - I had a sense of deja- vous. Where was Didi? I was praying hard that Rafa was not making the same mistake GH made a few years back. Didi is a big performer in big games. He is the player with the most experience in the Liverpool team in terms of playing in big games (including a World Cup final). I could not believe he was not in the starting line up. Against the experienced AC Milan, I thought we needed him to help the young lads to settle the nerves. When Harry went off, I though Rafa would put on Didi, and I was wrong. It was not going to happen until half time.

I havent even sat down when we went one goal down. I could not believe my eyes.  10 minutes later, after Luis had prevented a goal from a corner, Schevchenko scored. I thought - no. That was not true. And thank God that was not true. Offside was the verdict. It happened right in front of where I sat, and frankly it looked like a legitimate goal. Who cares now!

It was then I started feeling maybe it was going to be our night.   

How wrong I was!!! We were then denied a good shout for penalty - I was miles off where it happened but I was sure it hit the Italian's hand. And then a second goal. And then a third goal. Tragedy!!! Crespo - a Chelsea drop-out scored both of them - even more tragic!!!!

Never had I experienced a half time like that night in Istanbul. There was already a shortage of burgers, chips, hotdogs and drinks. The queue for the bogs were ridiculous (and the bogs smelt shite as well). Programmes were sold out (in fatc they were sold out a few hours before the match) - not that I really wanted one at the time. Being 3 - nil down, I started to hate everything associated with Turkey.

Somehow I think the fact that no (well - insufficient anyway) food and drinks was served helped us. Many Reds went back to their seats early - worrying it could get worst. That was when the infamous YNWA rendition began. It started down the other end of the stadium, but soon it was the entire stadium (except the Milanese posse). It started off when most were singing half-heartedly. Soon, everybody was singing in support of the team they love - with hope - in their hearts. It was very emotional. Noone however can say they had any real believe that the lads could come back the way they did.

We all know what happened in the second half. The miracle happened.  It happened and I am so glad I was there.

For me the most memorable moment of the night was the half-time YNWA rendition. Does anyone have a video clip of that? If so, should be ever so grateful if you would post a link so that I can download it for my PC.

A few months on. My daughter is now almost three months old and we are now back in the the CL maindraw as the defending champion. We will start the defence of the title tonight. Hopefully we will go all the way again and if so see you guys in Paris. 

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 11:32:59 am »
I had two tickets and didn't go either. Had them in my hands though, even kept them on the mantle overnight  :)

Couldn't go though, so passed them on and watched the game on the telly.

I'd like to have gone, but not too bothered about it now. Went to the Olympiakos, Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea home games and they were pretty special. Watching the final at home with my lad was great too.

From what people have said I wouldn't have fancied all the hassle of getting to and from the stadium and all the messing at the airport either, especially with a 5 yr old in tow.

Not that bothered really, there will be other finals  ;)
Legacy fan

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 01:32:24 pm »
You count your blessings mate - went to Istanbul, have a beautiful, wonderful partner, three fine children, a BBQ, can even entertain the possibility of going to games..... ;) :wave

oh i do mate, i do.
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Online Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 01:47:31 pm »
Hinesy as you probably know mate I HAD to miss exams to go, and sit them in August. I am not saying you could escape as easy as I could. But Evo's words "I still havent got over missing the 1977 final" rang in my ears. Thats the only one he has missed. So this, being the first euro cup final in my life (born November 1985), I was not going to miss it. I can understand your disappointment at not going. Having read your story, I am just so glad I made the decision I did. Allthough you say you are over it now, I dont think I would be if I hadnt gone.

Offline Road End Sikh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 02:20:58 pm »
I stayed at home and missed the match through choice.......let me explain.

I am a terrible watcher, as the nerves shred me during every game, whether Sunderland at home or Milan in Turkey. I've got so bad that it has become superstitious now. It seems like I spend as much time watching the bloody scoreboard clock (why did we put it in ?) as I do watching the pitch. At least when were stood in the Kop you could have a sway and a song, but now people think you're mad, so its suffering in silence much of the time.

Anyway, when I'm not at the match I can't listen to the games/watch teletext etc. Its been like this for years. I tried to trace it back, but can't remember when the yips started,maybe Anfield 89 or Villa Park 90.
So during our European Cup run I took to avoiding all knowledge of the scores from Olympiakos onwards, instead sticking Radio 5 on when it was the last minute or so and hoping the noise of the crowd would tell me we were winning. It worked against Olymp and Leverkusen.

Juve, I started watching, but switched off at 2-0, and it also worked in Turin. Chelsea, it worked again.

Now my dilemma. Should I watch the Final ? Will I scupper it by watching ?  It'll be alright, I've seen us winning finals for over 30 years. I'll watch it.

After 60 seconds, I was calling myself every name under the sun. I had cocked it up for Liverpool. We were going to lose because of my selfishness. I switched it off and hoped that the damage could be repaired. It didn't matter if I didn't see it as long as we won. I would watch it all on the video after the game. I began pacing around the house. I knew my dad and uncle would be watching next door. What if they came round ? Better get in the bath and ignore any knocks on the door or the phone. They told me after they had been knocking on the back door. Lucky break.

At 9.35 i put on Radia 5 to hear Alan Green say how nobody could have predicted this at half-time. It's 3-3. Next dilemma, do I watch extra-time. No! No! No! 

Penalties, just pace around the house some more until Radio 5 announces Dudek's save. Ecstasy and relief. I listen to all the aftermath and watch the game back.

I don't regret missing the emotion, I was in enough turmoil not knowing. It was only important that Liverpool FC won. If that meant me not watching, so be it.

What do I do this season though ?
LFC    then   now   always

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 02:24:15 pm »
i know exactly how you feel Road End mate. Its a killer and completely bonkers but grabs a hold of us.

Tiger, alas I can't miss a filming day full stop. So I just don't do it. But i will in future plan my work a little more carefully...
Yep.

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 02:46:35 pm »
Road end sikh go see a hypno therapist or a shrink then you can go the match and bite your nails like the rest of us. I`m sure every fan has supersticions and can understand your tellyphobia but watching the clock instead of the match waste of time no pun intended
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 03:12:02 pm »
nightmare

i know a couple who didn't make it to Istanbul for various reasons and its the biggest regret of their lives

but you'll be there will be for the next one
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Online Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 03:43:03 pm »
i know exactly how you feel Road End mate. Its a killer and completely bonkers but grabs a hold of us.

Tiger, alas I can't miss a filming day full stop. So I just don't do it. But i will in future plan my work a little more carefully...
I know you couldnt, I was just empathising with your situation. I also pointed out me bunkin exams and you missin filming are not quite the same.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 03:55:50 pm »
 i know mate ;)
I'd do it for all my exams
Yep.

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2005, 04:45:32 pm »
Harsh circumstances, but great read there Hinesy.  I was trying to get out there but the only packages i could find were running me $4500 and i don't know any other Liverpool fans, so i decided that i would head to a pub and watch it with several hundred likeminded people. Had the time of my life.

. . i am hoping to correct the error of my ways by heading to France in 06. Hopefully, you'll be there too, bro.
ooooooooohhh. . .the pedigree of that shot!. . . .

Offline jaymc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2005, 04:59:37 pm »
I had a ticket but could not afford to pay to go. I give it to a friend. Watched it in town in concert square which was boss, but still gutted i never went.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2005, 05:56:58 pm »
I watched it in the Corporals Mess, just me and two other lads supporting Liverpool, the rest, about 30 odd giving us shit about how lucky we were against the Chelsea. Half time, 3-0 down and they´re laying into us big time, all sorts of shit flying at us, I´m depressed as fuck, listening to Andy Gray´s bollocks, and Tommo trying to find some straw to clutch at, and Lee says, "We can still pull back from this you know". Now, I´m an optimist at the best of times,but that seemed like a tall order. So we took our places for the second half, faces like we´d just been gang raped by a bunch of Blueshites. Stevie does his magic and I think, "At least it won´t be a whitewash, Vladi does even more magic and I´m upright  again, ears standing up, all senses switched right back on, faces of the others, a fucking picture. "How the fuck did they do that?" Then Xabi does the business and we´re all over the place,then Jerzey´s double save and that now famous, knowing nod. From that point until Jerzey saves Scheva´s penalty we didn´t stand still once, no more shite from the others, just astounded looks on their ugly mugs! It was probably a million times better in Istanbul, but we were in the midst of Liverpool haters and just stuffed it down their throats. Weeks after I´m still bringinig the DVD to work on nightshifts and wearing my Polo shirt with the golden Liverbird and five stars over it. Listening to shite like, "That was the biggest fluke in history", and all that usual bollocks, with a permagrin on my face.

I don´t think I´ve done it yet so I will now. Those of you who were in Istanbul, singing YNWA at half time, you were fucking fantastic, you lifted the boys that night and showed our pride and passion, not to mention our complete and utter belief that we can overcome anything that´s thrown in our way. And personally, I think you lot should have received some sort of reward for that, without you the team would not have won that game. :thumbup
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline okcomputer

• Fuckwit
  • Kopite
  • Red Red Wine Stay Close to Me
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2005, 10:48:45 pm »
road end sikh, i totally relate
i do similar things myself and always regret it afterwards. just 2 days ago I saw my local team here in Ireland play the final (hurling Cork v Galway) and managed to go to the game, couldnt watch any of our team defending in case the opposition scored. we won but i kind of regret missing half the match!
we won in the end and that made it worse!!!
Quote from: mrsphilthefish on 20/10/07 at 04:28:32 PM
A red jumped up when we scored and some bluenose jumped up and said "fuck off out you. How did you get a ticket in here you fucking red gobshite?"
To which the red replied "coz YOU couldn't sell your tickets to your fucking own, they even went on fucking general sale for fucks sake. So I put s

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 10:56:11 am »
As the (oh-so eternally) grateful recipient of the second ticket you gave my brother I wanted (again) to express my undying and everlasting gratitude.

I can have no idea what you must have gone through: though your description is well written and thoughtful (and a good read!), it can only give me an inkling of the difficulty of actually handing those tickets over and all you went through thereafter.

I didn't get a ticket for this saturday, so I guess the (many) pints I owe you will have to wait until next time.

I am Eternally Grateful and hope that you'll allow me the pleasure of buying said beers for you and Uncle Vic next time we meet, we certainly raised a glass to you both in Istanbul.

Mal

ps - you're right about Smicers goal, it was the moment the game changed, the moment Milan started shitting themselves.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 01:11:04 pm »
Quality read mate :D and believe me you were missed. In fact I could have done with some support when trying to work out who the bulgarian player was in our hotel lobby, we didn't have anyone with scottish knowledge there then, would have been handy. Well handier than German, Russian, English, Turkish, Oz, Welsh ... and all the others we were trying with!

Peter Petrov we worked out in the end!

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 01:15:36 pm »
Quality read mate :D and believe me you were missed. In fact I could have done with some support when trying to work out who the bulgarian player was in our hotel lobby, we didn't have anyone with scottish knowledge there then, would have been handy. Well handier than German, Russian, English, Turkish, Oz, Welsh ... and all the others we were trying with!

Peter Petrov we worked out in the end!

Was he not a Russian sprinter in the late 70's early 80's as well?

And was the player possibly Stilian Petrov of Celtic?
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2005, 01:19:56 pm »
No Peter played in goal for CSKA sofia when they beat us in the European Cup in 81 I think it was.

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2005, 01:26:29 pm »
No Peter played in goal for CSKA sofia when they beat us in the European Cup in 81 I think it was.

I apologise for doubting you young lady  :wave

However sure there was a Russian sprinter of the same name.
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.