Author Topic: Why the Star Wars prequel trilogy was better than the original  (Read 11259 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Why the Star Wars prequel trilogy was better than the original
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »
You can post as that as many times as you want, it doesn't make it less wrong.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »
This is the best part.

Hollywood had a long history of exciting sword fight choreography up to that point, none of which translates into the original trilogy."

As Mouth says, a Dildo. A clueless Dildo.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »
You can post as that as many times as you want, it doesn't make it less wrong.

how can opinion's be wrong?
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2012, 03:38:19 pm »

Well in your opinion, pluralising a noun requires an apostrophe. That's wrong.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »

In my opinion Manchester United are the greatest football team on Earth and Alex Ferguson is a deeply respectful and honourable man.

Opinions can be wrong.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2012, 03:39:21 pm »

that's not an opinion, that's a grammatical error.

In my opinion Manchester United are the greatest football team on Earth and Alex Ferguson is a deeply respectful and honourable man.

Opinions can be wrong.

no, because alot of manchester united fans would say that, i dont agree with it, does not mean its wrong though.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »

:lmao

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

That's your opinion...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »
no, because alot of manchester united fans would say that, i dont agree with it, does not mean its wrong though.

We might as well stop critiquing any movies then, as none can be categorised as good or bad seeing as all opinion is subjective.

Though trying to be logical for a second, I could write an eloquently written 10 page article about why Timothy Dalton is a better bond than Sean Connery. It' should be widely ridiculed but would be impossible to dispute now, as it's opinion.

I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »
We might as well stop critiquing any movies then, as none can be categorised as good or bad seeing as all opinion is subjective.

Though trying to be logical for a second, I could write an eloquently written 10 page article about why Timothy Dalton is a better bond than Sean Connery. It' should be widely ridiculed but would be impossible to dispute now, as it's opinion.

You can dispute an opinion with your opinion. Neither are 'right' or 'wrong' they are both opinions.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »

So were the prequels.

Okay, serious response: I think the Plinkett reviews get across (in a very funny way) how flawed the films are and trying to draw parallels to the original trilogy is at best straw clutching. From the bits of documentaries and interviews that I've seen - correct me if I'm wrong, I've not seen much and not for years - Lucas seems to have a general idea of these writing styles and techniques but not really aware how to implement them. A lot of the Empire Strikes Back was taken away from him as the people who worked with him on Star Wars and corrected/fixed/changed many aspects of the story and script decided that was how they wanted to deal with Lucas from the off.
This is why Return of the Jedi had a different tone, because Lucas resented that and retaliated.

The criticisms of the original trilogy are worse, in that article. It's like people are holding them up as perfect examples, which isn't the case. There are a lot of issues with the original films and just because they're classics doesn't mean they're perfect. Maybe Star Wars fans are difficult to reason with but most are willing to overlook the flaws because overall they're good films with vibrant characters and a story that just about makes sense and captivates.
I forgot just how shite Attack of the Clones were because I'd tuned it out. The lightsaber fights were good but they weren't compelling. It's not exciting if you know the outcome and the plot is played very straight. I said in this thread that it would've been better if you didn't even see Anakin for most of the prequels, either make him a subplot or don't reveal his identity until the end of the second film.

Actually, I did Andy a disservice. Serenity is a very good science fiction film and it's a lesson in how to make a film like that without a big budget and getting the most out of your cast.
You had Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel L Jackson and Christopher Lee making appearances in these films. Would you say that any of those performances were up to their standards? Neeson did rogue wiseman so much better as Ra's al Ghul, Ewan McGregor would've been better if he was shitting the entire three films and as for the latter three... What a waste of acting talent.

Look at Pixar, their output shows that you can make films today that are both family friendly and unpatronising. The Muppets Movie even touches on this point, mocking the use of elaborate CG in today's films.
At no point in the original trilogy were people sat around talking about politics. Even the bits they had with a room full of people in discussion were tense as fuck as they explained the battle plans and the risk. Don't forget, the ending of Empire Strikes Back would've thrown a lot of people as if you'd left it at that, the bad guys had won and quite convincingly too.

What's the point in 'exploration' if all the planets were CG, all the characters were CG and there was no visible impact whatsoever from the alleged goings on in the story?

So to answer your point seriously, it's like saying in your opinion we should sell Lucas to Napoli for £3m because he's shit. It's just plain wrong, even if it is your opinion.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:14 pm »

Critique is about a lot more than "this is good" or "this is better than that" though. Movies are, by design, a completely subjective experience; everyone sees them differently. Trying to convince someone that the movie they just saw was "better" than one of their favourites, after they have seen it, is like trying to explain a joke. There's no point, it will never work, and for exactly the same reason.

The emotional and psychological response you have to a movie happens as you watch it, however strong a set of intellectual arguments you can make after the fact, you can never reproduce your personal response in someone else, you can only describe it.

What you can do is explore what the movie meant to you, what it acheived, where it succeeded and failed (in your opinion, of course) and address how it made you feel, what it made you think. What we share over movies isn't the images on the screen, it's our responses to them. That's what we are really exploring in critique, and everything is always said with the understanding that this is a personal response.

Where the OP has, I feel, gone wrong, is in trying to convince people of his response's legitimacy, as if he were somehow "right" and everyone else "wrong" about the merits of the prequels. Also, claiming that "Attack of the Clones" - a movie with NO PLOT - is "well structured" is just offensive.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:00 pm »
Yes, my point exactly.

No, it's the complete opposite of your point. The implication of what you're saying is that since it's just a story, the viewer should just go with the flow and chalk any inconsistencies or lapses in logic up to the fact that this is all fictional. What suspension of disbelief says is that a fiction must be constructed so as to be internally consistent and plausible - it needs its own particular verisimilitude, or else the audience will be wrenched out of the immediacies of the story by being reminded that they're watching something made up.

Lucas creates a fictional world in which the known universe is apparently run by the Republic, a massive organisation with remarkable technology, immense resources, an army of magic knights at its disposal, and one whose ruling body meets in a room that looks like this:

Yet for some reason, when one of the aforementioned magic knights acting on their behalf, on a very important mission, walks into a small shop simply to buy a part for his ship, he's inexplicably told: "YOUR MONEY'S NO GOOD HERE!" It's utterly inconsistent with the universe Lucas has invented, and suddenly I'm wrenched from the story: Watto, who I was supposed to accept as a real person with goals, opinions, motivations, feelings, is now a big blob of CGI with a stupid voice, whose whole presence in the movie is obviously to provide an obstacle for the heroes so Lucas can get to his precious podrace. That is so fucking lazy. And this isn't a minor point, this is how they meet Anakin, so the entire rest of the movie, and by extension the rest of the saga, the whole fate of this fictional universe, apparently comes down to some little shopkeeper who refuses to accept Mastercard, and Qui Gon being too stupid to just nip down to the local Bureau de Change.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:21 pm »
Yet for some reason, when one of the aforementioned magic knights acting on their behalf, on a very important mission, walks into a small shop simply to buy a part for his ship, he's inexplicably told: "YOUR MONEY'S NO GOOD HERE!" It's utterly inconsistent with the universe Lucas has invented, and suddenly I'm wrenched from the story: Watto, who I was supposed to accept as a real person with goals, opinions, motivations, feelings, is now a big blob of CGI with a stupid voice, whose whole presence in the movie is obviously to provide an obstacle for the heroes so Lucas can get to his precious podrace. That is so fucking lazy. And this isn't a minor point, this is how they meet Anakin, so the entire rest of the movie, and by extension the rest of the saga, the whole fate of this fictional universe, apparently comes down to some little shopkeeper who refuses to accept Mastercard, and Qui Gon being too stupid to just nip down to the local Bureau de Change.

I was able to assimilate that minor plot detail into my acceptance of the fictional world without difficulty, I'm sorry you couldn't do the same.
Trust me, it didn't improve the movie very much anyway.  ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »
I was able to assimilate that minor plot detail into my acceptance of the fictional world without difficulty, I'm sorry you couldn't do the same.
Trust me, it didn't improve the movie very much anyway.  ;)

No, apart from that one thing it's a fantastic movie. Jar Jar is really funny, I really rooted for Anakin, the bit where he blew up the ship and went WOO_HOOOOOO!!! is the crowing moment of awesome, when I grow up I want to be a whiny bitch just like Obi-Wan, midichlorians make more sense of the Force, Queen Amanadilianaana has a personality, Qui Gon is not an idiot. I love you, George Lucas. But damn you for including that Republic currency bit.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »
No, apart from that one thing it's a fantastic movie. Jar Jar is really funny, I really rooted for Anakin, the bit where he blew up the ship and went WOO_HOOOOOO!!! is the crowing moment of awesome, when I grow up I want to be a whiny bitch just like Obi-Wan, midichlorians make more sense of the Force, Queen Amanadilianaana has a personality, Qui Gon is not an idiot. I love you, George Lucas. But damn you for including that Republic currency bit.

Maybe it was Qui Gon's Jedi powers working on me.
"You don't need to question this plot detail."
"I don't need to question this plot detail."
"We can go about our movie."
"You can go about your movie."
"Move along..."
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
You know whats going to happen now you have been moaning about the credits scene, in the 300th recut special additional addition producers cut now in quantum realspace with extra scenes, bells and whistles, hoopla hoopla ramalamma ding dong edition, there will a new bit of dialogue in which Watto has to explain in great depth why credits are no good, due to the collapse of the galactic exchange rate mechanism and the republics fiscal & taxation policies.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »
"Move along..."

;D That must be how he gets people to keep going to these movies.

You know whats going to happen now you have been moaning about the credits scene, in the 300th recut special additional addition producers cut now in quantum realspace with extra scenes, bells and whistles, hoopla hoopla ramalamma ding dong edition, there will a new bit of dialogue in which Watto has to explain in great depth why credits are no good, due to the collapse of the galactic exchange rate mechanism and the republics fiscal & taxation policies.

And instead of the emporer telling Vader that Padme is dead at the end of Revenge of the Sith, he'll tell him "Due to the actions of speculators on the currency markets, the Galactic Senate has been forced to devalue Republic credits in order to cover the budget deficit for the first quarter of next year."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_lJTGKFP0&feature=related

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2012, 05:22:20 pm »
How anyone can take any positives from the prequels is beyond me.

Actually, the only positive I can think of is that they made me appreciate how unbelievably awesome the original trilogy was.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:47 pm »
"Move along..."

:lmao

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »
Mouths ideas for an alternative prequel trilogy are better than the prequel films.

If pushed, I can like parts of episode 1. Some actual sets, Darth Maul, erm... that's it, but there are so many things wrong with it that no amount of Maul can pull it out of that shit heap.

Episode 2 sits alongside Alien v Predator 2 as the standard of which all badness is measured.

Episode 3 has its flaws, the opening 20 minutes is awful, the tone is all over the place but as a whole I don't mind it. It's still disappointing, but it's the best of them, which is a bit like saying the clap is the best of the sexually transmitted diseases.

I've tried viewing them as single films, it didn't work. I tried viewing them as a separate trilogy than the originals, it didn't work either. They aren't good films and it isn't a good trilogy.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2012, 06:27:08 pm »
Think he just says it to Anakin to strengthen his view of Palpatine as some sort of helpful guy.

But I do agree that its stupid as fuck. He's just watched Palpatine shoot fucking lightning out of his hands, kill mace windu and is being told to go and kill all the fucking Jedi and kids at the temple. How dumb would you have to be to think "yeah, this guy is alright" after all that. But everyone in the whole star wars universe seems pretty fucking stupid so its par for the course.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »
It's the speed of it all which only makes it more ridiculous.

Start of film: I need to save that clone pilot (a clone, they have millions of them and are disposable). Thinks it's wrong to kill a sith lord who chopped of your fucking arm.

End of film: Killing children because a man who just killed someone you knew by shooting lightning out of his fucking fingers told you they were bad.

Why was everyone so keen to win over this moron to their side?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:12 pm »

Start of film: I need to save that clone pilot (a clone, they have millions of them and are disposable). Thinks it's wrong to kill a sith lord who chopped of your fucking arm.

End of film: Killing children because a man who just killed someone you knew by shooting lightning out of his fucking fingers told you they were bad.

The force was strong in him. The brains, not so much.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:38 pm »

That is very true. The speed of the 'Change' certainly could have been done better I think unless they had portrayed the Dark Side possessing him more.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »
Yeah, it just didn't fit in with the originals where he was seduced by the dark side. In the prequels he is sort of tricked and manipulated into joining them to save Padme. There was no real progression of gaining more power, sure there was him wanting more and the whole cheating death stuff, but he wasn't seduced by it.

Part of that might have been the awful scripts but part was Anakin himself, he just comes across as a jerk so for me you never really connect with him and while I'm close to it, you never see his and Obi Wans friendship develop, it's just sort of assumed. There are literally so many problems with the story and characters that I find it laughable for anyone to suggest they are better than the originals.

Those plinkett reviews are actually really very good if you have the time to watch them. Each film review is about an hour and a half or so, long but worth it to be honest because he does go into some very good points.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why the Star Wars prequel trilogy was better than the original
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »

Yep, the entire storyline and point of the three films totally fumbled and appalling told. How Anakin became Vader; erm, someone told him to and he did on a whim. It completely negates his tragic downfall.

Im watching Harry Plinkett's episode one review again now. The picking at all the ridiculous plot holes is pretty funny ("lets split up and stow away on separate ships", hahaha) but he completely nails the reason why these films are so shit straight away; the completely one dimensional, non entity characters.
There is no lead, no-one to root for or identify with. Qui Gonn and Obi Wan are boring, whiny stupid idiots. Anakin is an annoying, whiny tedious child, Queen Amidala is just... nothing. Jar Jar is a c*nt.

Why are midichlorians introduced in this film?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why the Star Wars prequel trilogy was better than the original
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »
Also Plinkett's point about the impressively choreographed but completely soulless and meaningless lightsabre duels of the prequels compared to the basic but deeply layered and meaningful duels of the original three is fantastic. Luke going mental and just swinging at Vader over and over again in Jedi is ten times better than all of those ridiculously over choreographed action scenes in episodes 1-3.
It perfectly expresses what I've thought about these films for ages but have been to clumsy to blurt out.

That behind the scenes footage of Rick McCullum's stunned, numb face after they watch the first preview is absolutely hilarious.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:45 pm »
Mouths ideas for an alternative prequel trilogy are better than the prequel films.

If pushed, I can like parts of episode 1. Some actual sets, Darth Maul, erm... that's it, but there are so many things wrong with it that no amount of Maul can pull it out of that shit heap.

Episode 2 sits alongside Alien v Predator 2 as the standard of which all badness is measured.

Episode 3 has its flaws, the opening 20 minutes is awful, the tone is all over the place but as a whole I don't mind it. It's still disappointing, but it's the best of them, which is a bit like saying the clap is the best of the sexually transmitted diseases.

I've tried viewing them as single films, it didn't work. I tried viewing them as a separate trilogy than the originals, it didn't work either. They aren't good films and it isn't a good trilogy.

I agree with this ordering.
Attack of the Clones is definitely the worst. The entire Anakin-Padme storyline is just terrible, and feels very forced and awkward.

Phantom Menace has some good bits (e.g. the Duel of the Fates scene), but could have been done better.
E.g. If they'd made Anakin a few years older (at least in his teens), and shown more signs of a life in slavery having an impact on him. As it is, his character in Phantom isn't anything like the other 2 films, and he's happier as a slave than as a Jedi.

I like Revenge of the Sith best out of the three, though I think that may be in part down to the novelization. I really like the book, and it does a much better job of a lot of things compared to the novel, so I think I may subconsciously use the book to fill in bits of the film. For instance, it does a much better job of showing Anakins descent into the Dark Side - his fear about Padme dying and his desire to save her, the way he turns against a Jedi Council that he feels are impeding him etc.

I think how much those sort of things bother you is a measure of the film's overall quality.
If you want to, you could pick holes in pretty much any film. But the less you enjoy a film, the more you'll try and pick holes, and the more annoyed you'll be by them.

For instance, if you look at the Star Trek reboot, there's plenty of stuff to criticise. There's loads of stuff to do with the supernova, redmatter etc. that doesn't make sense. But that doesn't bother me because I like the film. It's not a classic, but it's something I can simply watch and enjoy.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2012, 10:37:38 pm »
There are so, so many things to pull apart in TPM it's difficult know where to start. And this one could be considered minor nitpicking, but this one small thing had the butterfly effect for me.

Anakin's age. There is not one single reason he had to be THAT young. But because he was, Amidala couldn't be too much older otherwise then it gets a bit weird, I suppose. So you have a FOURTEEN year old elected leader of her planet. FOURTEEN! An elected Queen, no less. And why did she have to have that title? The only reason I can think that she had to is because Leia is a Princess. Of course, one has nothing to do with the other whatsoever and I wonder...has George Lucas watched the Original trilogy? Anyway, make Anakin Luke's age. Make Amidala mid-twenties. It's still silly that she'd be elected leader, but it's slightly more palatable. I could buy it. But fourteen? No. No siree bob.

Oh, and speaking of her, the whole decoy thing was a load of rubbish and utterly pointless.

And one more thing, while I'm here. The whole Gungan/human population of Naboo having to live in symbiosis, just like living creatures and the midichlorians. That is Star Trek stuff, not Star Wars. Except Star Trek may have had it actually relevant.

I really need to watch these films again. Right now I detest them, but they surely must be worse in my head than they really are. Did someone post a link to a torrent for all six?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2012, 10:51:58 pm »
but they surely must be worse in my head than they really are.

I tried that a few months ago mate, they were even worse than I remembered. 

I remember seeing TPM when it came out and not enjoying it, but being a teenager I couldn't really put my finger on why I didn't like it. It just seemed kind of empty. Now I can see all the problems and it makes it even worse to be honest.

I have seen TPM about 3 times (most recently about 4 months ago), and I watched Plinkett's review about a year and a half ago. Despite that, I still could not really explain what the plot is.. it's just so boring my brain disengages. I had forgotten the reason for the pod race until I read it in this thread, it's so arbitrary. I also found it interesting to read that people liked Darth Maul.. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he only speak about 2 lines in the whole film? Maybe that's why people like him - he wasn't lumped with much of Lucas's shitty dialogue...

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:24 pm »
I've been thinking more about this the last few days since a few threads cropped up, the re-release of 3D etc.

As a kid I watched the original Star Wars with my dad and they were good films, enough of a balance to keep me interested, a sinister bad guy that would draw you into the film with morbid intrigue and they were quite cross generational in their appeal. But the best thing was as that same kid growing up and rewatching them you got to appreciate the films in a whole other light and cotton onto the deeper meanings and subplots.

As an adult you got the most from the films, but as a child you got to grow with the films if that makes sense.

These new ones don't appeal to adults (imo), the subplots about trade federations and republic taxes are so convoluted and mind numbingly boring you have no interest in them but the ultimate point on how they will be judged is the legacy they leave. There is no more you will get from the prequels by watching them as you get older. Basically they are just a collection of short shelf life sci fi movies that get worse the more you watch them.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »
I also found it interesting to read that people liked Darth Maul.. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he only speak about 2 lines in the whole film? Maybe that's why people like him - he wasn't lumped with much of Lucas's shitty dialogue...
Spot on, its because he is used sparingly, its the Bruce factor, like the shark in Jaws, its much more effective because we dont see it very much and when we do its only towards the end when the tension has been built up to an epic confrontation, we also dont know very much about him he is a total mystery, he doesnt say much, when he does its pretty much straight to the point, he looks like a badass, then he gets killed, oh and he is also a scouser. ;D Had Lucas not killed Maul off I'm pretty sure he would be hated, because he would of ruined him some how.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »
Yeah, Maul is like the prequel Boba Fett. He says next to nothing, he looks cool as fuck and there's a certain aura of badass about them. When shit goes down you know they mean fucking business because they aren't in it every 5 minutes doing pointless shit.

I'm with mouth, if he had lived he would have been thrown in every couple of scenes, talking about politics and generally being ruined.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:32 am »
I also found it interesting to read that people liked Darth Maul.. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't he only speak about 2 lines in the whole film? Maybe that's why people like him - he wasn't lumped with much of Lucas's shitty dialogue...

And he's Scouse. Voiced by Peter Serafinowic, no less.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »
When I watched them for the first time, I thought I was paying to see an extended advert for merchandise. For instance the pod race was tedious. It just felt like it was included to justify the accompanying video game. Star Wars is a cynical money making exercise.

Is correct.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »

Err... are you serious? If my opinion is that the Sun revolves around the Earth it's wrong. The prequel trilogy are shite on every level. Of course there may be people who like them and that's their opinion but it just means that they have no appreciation for character, dialogue, storyline, pace, direction and all the things that go to making a film good or great.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:00 pm »
I never liked the fact that Lucas (essentially) turned SW over to a bunch of very creative people for the novels, starting with Heir to the Empire about 20 years ago, and then basically shit on them when doing the prequels.

Just because Lucas invented the SW universe is no reason to turn your nose up at al the creative input done by hundreds of other people to keep your creation in the public conscience.  You can't just snatch it back like that and pretend all those years of effort didn't happen.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »
6 pages for one of the most pointless arguments of all time.

Even if you like the prequel trilogy, even if you really really really like it, there's still no way on earth that it's better than the original trilogy, unless you're a complete fucking mental case.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.