Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1894755 times)

Offline Thoros Of Myr

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: UFC/MMA thread
« Reply #21960 on: July 27, 2016, 11:21:56 pm »
I think Stann does a good job and I liked Mir too, surprisingly, when he did it for the WEC.

Mir was great at it.

I'll be honest, it's not a proper UFC event with Joe Rogan. Goldberg I can take or leave.

Florian, despite being knowledgeable, grates on me.

The Chael or Mir, please.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21961 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:29 pm »
There are times where I turn the volume down on Rogan. Sometimes he picks a favorite and I'm not seeing at all what he's seeing. It becomes distracting.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #21962 on: July 27, 2016, 11:38:38 pm »
Kevin Ferguson Jnr makes his pro MMA debut at Bellator 160.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #21963 on: July 27, 2016, 11:55:27 pm »
Haven't seen anyone mention Dan Hardy as a potential successor to Joe Rogan (on this thread at least).
Is his analysis not popular among veteran MMA viewers?
I always find I learn interesting tidbits from his analysis, especially the prefight breakdown.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21964 on: July 28, 2016, 12:01:53 am »
Haven't seen anyone mention Dan Hardy as a potential successor to Joe Rogan (on this thread at least).
Is his analysis not popular among veteran MMA viewers?
I always find I learn interesting tidbits from his analysis, especially the prefight breakdown.
I like him too, he doesn't seem to do it as often as the others (from the commentary I hear). I'd just prefer to see him fight again. I don't get many mma related shirts but I have one of his. :D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21965 on: July 28, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
Rogan is a legend in the sport like Solie or JR for pro wrestling but his time has passed I think. One year deal makes sense, bit of stability for the new owners, less of a commitment for him.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21966 on: July 28, 2016, 01:18:46 am »
I like him too, he doesn't seem to do it as often as the others (from the commentary I hear). I'd just prefer to see him fight again. I don't get many mma related shirts but I have one of his. :D

Haha!
I think I've watched him a few times, though I can only vividly remember watching him fight once, the one where he got clean knocked out (fight night might have even been in England), so I can't recall how good he was as a fighter. But he sounds so knowledgeable, and has a calm, clear, and concise way of explaining matchups and styles, I'm assuming he was an intelligent fighter, or was he more of a gung ho stand up fighter?. His prefight analysis are the ones I look forward to before each fight.

I'm not sure where I remember hearing this, but many people assume UFC fighters are of the jock variety, but many are actually graduates from quality Universities (often with top notch wrestling programs), so we may end up spoilt with choice when it comes to commentators and analysts (almost the direct opposite situation in footbal).
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #21967 on: July 28, 2016, 01:11:03 pm »
Belfort vs Mousasi at 204. Makes me think Bisping Hendo will be a fox card. Can't see Vitor travelling to Manchester - although fingers crossed for it!!
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #21968 on: July 28, 2016, 01:21:16 pm »
Rewatched Diaz/McG. Such a great fight that. First round was a lot closer than most seem to make out, but the first minute and a half of the second round McGregor landed some huge shots though Diaz barely flinches. Then Nate lands that one two, Conor wobbles, momentum completely shifts and Nate is just relentless pressure till he finishes it. McGregor turning into a "panic wrestler", that last slap to free up the neck for the choke.
Beautiful scrap, the flow, the story it told. 202, even though I wasn't a fan of the immediate rematch is definitely going to have that special feel to it. 

Sucks they put Lawlor on a pretty bad card.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:57:39 pm by BER »

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21969 on: July 28, 2016, 02:21:55 pm »
I'd say he was an intelligent stand up fighter who liked a good exchange. As always, a fighter will be remembered different ways, depending on who you ask. He liked to get under his opponent's skin (see Davis) and others he attempted it with (like GSP) got him a lot of haters. But he seems like a sincere guy. Unfortunate that he probably won't fight again because of a medical issue.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21970 on: July 28, 2016, 02:27:41 pm »
Rewatched Diaz/McG. Such a great fight that. First round was a lot closer than most seem to make out, but the first minute and a half of the second round McGregor landed some huge shots though Diaz barely flinches. Then Nate lands that one two, Conor wobbles, momentum completely shifts and Nate is just relentless pressure till he finishes it. McGregor turning into a "panic wrestler", that last slap to free up the neck for the choke.
Beautiful scrap, the flow, the story it told. 202, even though I wasn't a fan of the immediate rematch is definitely going to have that special feel to it. 

Sucks they put Lawlor on a pretty bad card.

That's how I remember it. He eats a shot and then lands that 1-2 and then the hands go up like "that's right motherfucker."  At that point it was only a matter of time and you could feel it coming. Even though I don't see the relevance of a rematch from a competition standpoint, I wouldn't mind seeing Nate put hands on him again.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21971 on: July 28, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »
That's how I remember it. He eats a shot and then lands that 1-2 and then the hands go up like "that's right motherfucker."  At that point it was only a matter of time and you could feel it coming. Even though I don't see the relevance of a rematch from a competition standpoint, I wouldn't mind seeing Nate put hands on him again.

If he puts McGregor over his knee again, he should be given 25% of all his future earnings.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21972 on: July 28, 2016, 03:31:04 pm »
If he puts McGregor over his knee again, he should be given 25% of all his future earnings.
He should. If Conor comes in again like he did last time, guns blazing treating Nate like a "fun size" fighter, you can easily see a repeat of last time.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21973 on: July 28, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »
He should. If Conor comes in again like he did last time, guns blazing treating Nate like a "fun size" fighter, you can easily see a repeat of last time.

It vaguely annoys me that Conor gets a do-over of an irrelevant fight but I'm interested to see if he can overcome Nate's reach, chin and technical advantages. If he can't knock him out, and wouldn't dare take him down...can he last five rounds with a cardio monster?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21974 on: July 28, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »
Lots of added weight and bulk for Conor. Is that size going to transfer his power to a higher weight with a bigger guy known for a good chin? It didn't last time. His game plan should be kicks and movement, hoping to come out with a decision. The catch is the added weight won't help against a gas tank like Nate has. When's the last time he went 5 rounds? Longer it goes it begins to favor Nate as well, if Conor can avoid getting finished before then. Could he put one on his chin? Sure. Not too common that opponents land on Nate, let alone a shot to put him to sleep though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21975 on: July 28, 2016, 10:39:09 pm »
Blueprint for Diaz has been set, kick his legs, a lot.

Conor is too quick for him and provided he can last the 5 round and avoid the grappling (both questionable) he should win.

The better hope Conor and Nate make it to the right, because that is a weak undercard with Maia Condit gone.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21976 on: July 29, 2016, 12:17:38 am »
I'm a major fan of leg kicks, but that thumping Thai style hasn't been shown by Conor yet. A good counter to a leg kick though is a good straight right/left. It's gonna be interesting to see what Conor does. I don't think Nate is going to change much.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21977 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:34 am »
Belfort vs Mousasi at 204. Makes me think Bisping Hendo will be a fox card. Can't see Vitor travelling to Manchester - although fingers crossed for it!!

Huge fan of Mousasi, think he is a great guy and an exciting fighter have been following him since 2008 when he won the Dream Grand Prix in Japan.  Hopefully he takes his opportunity this time as I would like to see him get the credit he deserves.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21978 on: July 29, 2016, 01:51:14 am »
Blueprint for Diaz has been set, kick his legs, a lot.

Conor is too quick for him and provided he can last the 5 round and avoid the grappling (both questionable) he should win.

The better hope Conor and Nate make it to the right, because that is a weak undercard with Maia Condit gone.

Too quick? He marginally outstruck Nate in round one, and was blown out in round two. He has every chance of winning but patience is the method, he's not going to outbox or outstrike Nate.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21979 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:13 am »
Big fan of Gegard.  I'd like to see him beat Vitor and I think he can by being the better boxer.  I think they were supposed to fight years ago and it never materialized.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21980 on: July 29, 2016, 03:40:45 am »

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #21981 on: July 29, 2016, 09:36:13 am »
Vitor looked like absolute shit in his last fight. He's got a bit of a dad bod going on now too. I'll be backing Mousassi for that one. Vitor should finish up.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21982 on: July 29, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »
Too quick? He marginally outstruck Nate in round one, and was blown out in round two. He has every chance of winning but patience is the method, he's not going to outbox or outstrike Nate.

Yep, far too quick for him. I thought (granted haven't watched it for a few months) he dominated the first round and then got basically dropped in the second.

Won't outbox him agreed, but he should be in and out, kicking high and low and I think he wins.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #21983 on: July 29, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
I don't think Conor wins the rematch. In fact I've been putting money on Diaz for the last while. Seen enough the last fight to think that it's a bridge too far for him. Nate is just a dog for punishment and he's the bigger longer man. Can't see how Conor is going to carry that weight differently.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21984 on: July 29, 2016, 01:56:44 pm »
Rockhold calling out Anderson? C'mon son.

Fight Weidman or Jacare.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21985 on: July 29, 2016, 03:16:44 pm »
He's fought and beaten both before. I think a fight with Silva would be fun. 185 is just a parody now anyway. Fuck it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21986 on: July 29, 2016, 04:41:08 pm »
He needs to beat one of them to get his shot. Beating Anderson doesn't get you a shot now, IMO.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #21987 on: July 29, 2016, 06:26:14 pm »
Anyone got Kodi? All TUF seasons on Exodus - EPIC

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21988 on: July 29, 2016, 07:13:11 pm »
Yep, far too quick for him. I thought (granted haven't watched it for a few months) he dominated the first round and then got basically dropped in the second.

Won't outbox him agreed, but he should be in and out, kicking high and low and I think he wins.

He threw a lot of shots that didn't land. Diaz' movement was too much for him. Diaz will be fitter this time around too, I just don't see Conor outstriking him without point fighting. Which he's entitled to do of course, but winning a boring 5 round decision is about as useful as a loss to him and his fanbase.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21989 on: July 29, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
He threw a lot of shots that didn't land. Diaz' movement was too much for him. Diaz will be fitter this time around too, I just don't see Conor outstriking him without point fighting. Which he's entitled to do of course, but winning a boring 5 round decision is about as useful as a loss to him and his fanbase.

I'm on the Conor bandwagon, but honestly speaking I feel this might be a step too far. Still there's a chance, but I think for him to win he'll have to gut it out and try to get more points over 5 rounds, and I'm not sure Conor is that type of fighter (whereas Diaz is/can be). But if Conor wins, even via a boring match of epic levels, how would that not be useful for him? It's not as if he's put on boring fights, and another boring fight would be the final nail in the coffin, fighters are allowed fights where they win via toughing it out for 5 rounds. He just needs the win via any means neccessary, so he can get the monkey off his back and get back to defending his belt.

It's a shame his initial fight got delayed due to injury, the whole Diaz chain of events has clearly turned out for the worst. He's not only fighting in a different class and weight, he's fighting two classes above norm, against a fighter that has already beaten him, and a belt wasn't even involved. Highly enjoyable for those tired of the Conor hype, but for the rest the 2nd year of Conor has passed by with a whimper. Hopefully Conor wins and the bandwagon can keep on rolling! :wave

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21990 on: July 29, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
I'm on the Conor bandwagon, but honestly speaking I feel this might be a step too far. Still there's a chance, but I think for him to win he'll have to gut it out and try to get more points over 5 rounds, and I'm not sure Conor is that type of fighter (whereas Diaz is/can be). But if Conor wins, even via a boring match of epic levels, how would that not be useful for him? It's not as if he's put on boring fights, and another boring fight would be the final nail in the coffin, fighters are allowed fights where they win via toughing it out for 5 rounds. He just needs the win via any means neccessary, so he can get the monkey off his back and get back to defending his belt.

It's a shame his initial fight got delayed due to injury, the whole Diaz chain of events has clearly turned out for the worst. He's not only fighting in a different class and weight, he's fighting two classes above norm, against a fighter that has already beaten him, and a belt wasn't even involved. Highly enjoyable for those tired of the Conor hype, but for the rest the 2nd year of Conor has passed by with a whimper. Hopefully Conor wins and the bandwagon can keep on rolling! :wave

Well its a win over a fighter he already lost to, in a division neither guy competes in, and his whole thing is that he's this supreme game changing fighter who's bigger than the sport. If he fights a sensible, smart fight and wins on points - he's exactly like everyone else. So the win doesn't change his legacy like BJ winning the WW belt did. It isn't him proving his greatness like Anderson humbling Forrest did.

Now if he storms in there and batters Diaz from bell to bell and finishes him, fair enough. But I don't think he's good enough to do that.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21991 on: July 30, 2016, 01:32:50 am »
He needs to beat one of them to get his shot. Beating Anderson doesn't get you a shot now, IMO.
The champ would disagree... fair enough, he was short notice, but Henderson didn't beat anyone at the top either so like I was saying...parody.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:43:05 am by Beninger »

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21992 on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
I don't think Conor wants to go back down to 145.  I think for contract purposes the UFC wants him to stay champ though.  I think they all were hoping for a victory at 155 for the title, but he's not even had a fight there yet.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21993 on: July 30, 2016, 03:10:08 am »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21994 on: July 30, 2016, 03:43:01 am »
That is insane.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21995 on: July 30, 2016, 08:30:17 am »
Football is a lie

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #21996 on: July 30, 2016, 09:24:53 am »
We giving Woodley a chance tonight?

I have a sneaking feeling he'll do it.  Robbie surely can't not feel the effects of his past few fights.  I actually thought Condit beat him, too...

Love Robbie, but feel like Woodley will wrestle the belt off of him.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #21997 on: July 30, 2016, 10:08:02 am »
Lawyer for me, I don't think Woodley is as good as MacDonald or Condit who Lawler eeked decisions against regardless of opinions, the other thing is the 5 rounds balls to the wall experience Robbie has in his locker

I hope it's another barnstormer though, looking forward to it

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21998 on: July 30, 2016, 11:08:09 am »
Crazy how a knee can do that much damage. If I saw it without knowing, I'd have thought someone cracked him repeatedly with a sledgehammer.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #21999 on: July 30, 2016, 11:57:21 am »
Literally went 'GGGAAAAAHHHH' really loudly, wasn't expecting to see that.  ;D

And he wants to fight again, to say fighters are a different breed is an understatement. But surely he'll never get sanctioned after an injury like that?
MVP has maybe the skinniest legs i've ever seen on a fighter too, a knee from him must be like getting hit with a hammer, all bone on bone contact.