Author Topic: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....  (Read 43217 times)

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....
« Reply #560 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:10 am »
I had no doubt we would win tonight. Our problems are mental and are easily fixed. Play every game like we are playing Man United and we will be fine.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:10 am »
This result was all about our Stevie for me. Completely turned the game on its ear when he come on. Its amazing to see a player as great as he is in our shirt. He is absolutely transcendent. Miles ahead of every other player on the pitch today.
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:20 am »
2 teams on that pitch tonight, the one without Gerrard was pretty clueless and wouldn't have won - the one with Gerrard looked a completely different side and should have scored 5 or 6.
 Anyone saying Carroll played well must be on crack, and I like the big fella. Should have had 5 in the last 2 games but ended up with none.
 Bellamy, Spearing, Skrtel and Enrique were boss as usual...Adam and Henderson were massively disappointing again.
Good 3 points though and I reckon we might just get a result at city.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #563 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:47 am »
Did anyone else notice the over the top ridiculous comments being made from Sky about Andy Carroll?

At one point, Martin Tyler actually said something along the lines of "there's nobody better in the Premier League at heading balls than Andy Carroll" and Geoff Shreeves asked Kenny in the interview if it was a Carroll assist from the free kick. There was a lot of love in for Carroll tonight from Sky when normally they're quite quick to point out his flaws and poor goal scoring record for us. It seemed a bit fishy, to me.

I thought Carroll was abysmal today. The only good thing he did, I thought, was get himself in front of the Newcastle defender to head the ball that hit the bar. His positioning was terrible and he was very quick to berate everyone about not picking him out. I've said before that he just stands in the box more often than not waiting for the ball to land on his head and people shot me down saying that he's only had brief cameos so can't be judged fairly. Well the past two games have shown his lack of movement in the box isn't helping himself compared to someone like Torres who moved brilliantly for the ball in the box or even Hernandez. At Newcastle, he won a lot more headers but he just doesn't seem to throw his weight around for us and doesn't show much willingness to get in front of the defender to meet a cross.

He didn't even celebrate the second goal and third goal and looked utterly dejected when everyone else was celebrating. He showed more desire than I've seen at other times this season but I think that's more down to the fact that he played against his boyhood club. It looked promising when Gerrard came on because he was able to find him better than anyone else has managed to do and I can see him improving with more of Gerrard's delivery, but it's really concerning when nearly a year on, we're still arguing about him.
Fucking hell! Weird how hundreds of thousands of people watching the same event have totally polar views of things! Football, eh?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #564 on: December 31, 2011, 12:07:30 am »
Get in . 3 points. Still 2 and half hours til get back. Got to love it
YNWA

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #565 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:27 am »
I think his lack of celebration was out of respect to the fans of his boyhood club too to be fair

He celebrated the first goal.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #566 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:42 am »
How on earth did Krul not get a yellow for time wasting?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #567 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:44 am »
The bastard
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:45 am »
Spearing deserves a mention too while on the subject. When given the chance to play, he ups his game and leads by example in the role he has. Good character that. Others should learn from him and Henderson. They do in line with or more than we can expect from them.

I agree. Tried to pass it quick and on the ground just like Lucas, and read the game in order to there just in time for the tackle.. just like Lucas. Good job!!
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #569 on: December 31, 2011, 12:10:22 am »
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #570 on: December 31, 2011, 12:10:41 am »
His post game interview makes me believe this although he constantly seems to mention how much we would have deserved more of our recent performances. Which is good, cause it shows how much he wants it at any cost. But I hope it doesn´t make him tend to believe that it´s really all about luck that was missing. Cause the quality of Gerrards finish today showed that it´s not.

kenny played with utter class and unlike most of his the players at his standard he knew it wasnt just about him

the guy can spot talent, just look at the way we are playing for a start

100 mill is it we spent is it

but they all been bought with a bigger plan in mind

maybe im giving kenny too much credit, but ive watched win him 4 titles and then basically retire for 20 years

there's a saying form is temporary class is ........
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:12:24 am by masterbaker »

Offline locultom

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #571 on: December 31, 2011, 12:11:48 am »
Interesting game and a good three points. We were woeful for the first 25 minutes with the ball but worked a way into it.

Spearing was by far the best of the central trio throughout- why he hasn't got more game time is a mystery to me as he does the simple things well, has positional discipline and can tackle. I thought it was a toss up between Adam and Henderson for who would come off and I am guessing that Henderson's fresher legs kept him in the picture - it certainly wasn't his tackling which is non-existent. Felt these two were both poor which showed in Newcastle's ball retention and periods of dominance. Henderson looked livelier when Gerrard showed him the way.

Skrtel continues to perform as one of the best center-backs in the league and his clearance was awesome. Thought Agger, whilst great on the ball, was a bit sloppy and lacking in aggression and concentration on a couple of occasions and Johnson looked a bit leggy which he is prone to do at times. Enrique was reliable quality as ever.

Downing and Bellamy mixed it up well and Bellamy in particular was smart and sharp all round the pitch. I thought he showed some drive and leadership in his play that was lacking in us tonight in other areas until Gerrard came on who was fantastic.

Just leaves Carroll. Got to be honest, I thought he was fairly poor, laboured and predictable. He movement in the box is no where near good enough and even with the greatest delivery in the world, static strikers are easy to defend against.

Enjoyed it though.
No-one wants to stay in the Travelodge by choice. It's always a last resort. No-ones thinking, Id love to stay in a room so blandly anonymous that it looks like the burial chamber of the king of an ancient civilisation which valued above all bland anonymity.

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: December 31, 2011, 12:12:14 am »

Other end of the pitch to the NUFC fans though.
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: December 31, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
Did anyone else notice the over the top ridiculous comments being made from Sky about Andy Carroll?

At one point, Martin Tyler actually said something along the lines of "there's nobody better in the Premier League at heading balls than Andy Carroll" and Geoff Shreeves asked Kenny in the interview if it was a Carroll assist from the free kick. There was a lot of love in for Carroll tonight from Sky when normally they're quite quick to point out his flaws and poor goal scoring record for us. It seemed a bit fishy, to me.

I thought Carroll was abysmal today. The only good thing he did, I thought, was get himself in front of the Newcastle defender to head the ball that hit the bar. His positioning was terrible and he was very quick to berate everyone about not picking him out. I've said before that he just stands in the box more often than not waiting for the ball to land on his head and people shot me down saying that he's only had brief cameos so can't be judged fairly. Well the past two games have shown his lack of movement in the box isn't helping himself compared to someone like Torres who moved brilliantly for the ball in the box or even Hernandez. At Newcastle, he won a lot more headers but he just doesn't seem to throw his weight around for us and doesn't show much willingness to get in front of the defender to meet a cross.

He didn't even celebrate the second goal and third goal and looked utterly dejected when everyone else was celebrating. He showed more desire than I've seen at other times this season but I think that's more down to the fact that he played against his boyhood club. It looked promising when Gerrard came on because he was able to find him better than anyone else has managed to do and I can see him improving with more of Gerrard's delivery, but it's really concerning when nearly a year on, we're still arguing about him.

Ive just watched the match again on the telly and don't get where you are getting this from?

Second goal Carroll goes over to Bellamy, pats him on the back and says something to him, third goal, far from looking dejected he runs over and joins in with the other players congratulating Gerrard.

He may not have gone over the top because we were beating his boyhood team, but to say he didn't join in the celebrations is far from the truth.

He also had two clear cut goal scoring opportunities which, given a bit more confidence he probably would have put away.  Don't think we can criticise the lad too much tonight.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #574 on: December 31, 2011, 12:13:04 am »
Other end of the pitch to the NUFC fans though.
Fucking top lad that Andy, respect
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: December 31, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
I thought Spearing was MOM myself.
No, he wasn't mate, he dd brilliantly but too often the game either passed him by or he struggled to keep tracking.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:19 am »
kenny played with utter class and unlike most of his the players at his standard he knew it wasnt just about him

the guy can spot talent, just look at the way we are playing for a start

100 mill is it we spent is it

but they all been bought with a bigger plan in mind

maybe im giving kenny too much credit, but ive watched win him 4 titles and then basically retire for 20 years

there's a saying form is temporary class is ........

I agree. But the class isn´t there yet when it comes to a lot of our players which where coming in, but as you said, hopefully there is a bigger plan there... Cause the way he wants us to play football, I agree 100% here, shows top class.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:16:48 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline stiffnuts

• rustytool
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:26 am »
we are a work in progress, does anyone really believe thats kenny thinks we dont need more quality

this is a guy that signed beardsley , houghton and barnes

when he had an unlimited cheque book at blackburn he also signed mark atkins and stuart ripley

the blackburn fans went wahhh>?

building blocks, the guy knows how to build a team

and now he's building a squads cuz players now are to lazy to play twice in a week

so in my opinion the likes of downing and adam, good players as they are.

have been signed to be upgraded upon next season, would you sign if you thought you were a squad player?

I agree with you entirely hes bedding in the players who are very much an upgrade on what we had but not in the "world class" bracket. Very good foundations who will provide much needed competition something that has been lacking for many years!

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:42 am »
Ive just watched the match again on the telly and don't get where you are getting this from?

Second goal Carroll goes over to Bellamy, pats him on the back and says something to him, third goal, far from looking dejected he runs over and joins in with the other players congratulating Gerrard.

He may not have gone over the top because we were beating his boyhood team, but to say he didn't join in the celebrations is far from the truth.

He also had two clear cut goal scoring opportunities which, given a bit more confidence he probably would have put away.  Don't think we can criticise the lad too much tonight.

I seem to recall him walking over to the players looking really pissed off when they were celebrating the goal. I'll have to watch again but I'm pretty certain that Carroll just strolled over and I think Skrtel gave him a pat on the back to what seemed to be an attempt to lift his spirits.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: December 31, 2011, 12:15:11 am »
2 teams on that pitch tonight, the one without Gerrard was pretty clueless and wouldn't have won - the one with Gerrard looked a completely different side and should have scored 5 or 6.
 Anyone saying Carroll played well must be on crack, and I like the big fella. Should have had 5 in the last 2 games but ended up with none.
 Bellamy, Spearing, Skrtel and Enrique were boss as usual...Adam and Henderson were massively disappointing again.

Agree although Bellamy is not getting much credit after having scored 2 goals.   I felt bad for Carroll.  He looks completely shot of confidence but as others have said, if Gerrard can start providing decent service, who knows!.  We might be writing him off too soon. 
I do think it's becoming clear that Downing isn't going to provide him the type of service he needs.  He also needs to get into the box faster.  When he comes deep, it seems to take him an eternity to get back up there.

We had out mandatory chance off the cross-bar, post again.  Should do an office pool to see what our tally is at the end for the season. 

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:55 am »
Another game goes by and i ask again, what does andy carroll add to our team?

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #581 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:31 am »
I seem to recall him walking over to the players looking really pissed off when they were celebrating the goal. I'll have to watch again but I'm pretty certain that Carroll just strolled over and I think Skrtel gave him a pat on the back to what seemed to be an attempt to lift his spirits.
Fuckin 'ell Matt, let it go!  :)
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2011, 12:21:47 am »
Fuckin 'ell Matt, let it go!  :)

Yes boss  ;D

Yay, we won!

Offline stiffnuts

• rustytool
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #583 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:20 am »

sadly I think his team mates dont trust with the ball, in fact its blatently obvious that his teams would rather feed the ball to someone. Gerrard did bring out the best in him but really the signs are nit good at the moment.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:34 am »
Give him a bit of time playing games with Stevie on the park, giving him the service he needs and then ask the question.

Not too long ago people were asking what Lucas brought to the side, and some even questioned whether Gerrard was worth his salary - now few would like to see a team with either of them missing.

"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #585 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:46 am »
Once again though, we went one behind to a side who had not had a shot on goal, it was another kick in the teeth on top of previous games and I thought the lads responded pretty well.

Re Carroll you could also say that over the two games with a bit of luck he could have had 4 or 5 and if Gerrard stays fit goals will come. He showed the rest of them how to cross a ball.

Carroll has never relied upon service from the bye line nor a flat ball, a lot of his goals last year were balls from barton from 30 yards out from the goal line.

It should also be noted that as well as Gerrard (still our best by some distance) not playing for an hour, we were also without Suarez (best forward) and Lucas (best working midfield player) as well as a good slice of confidence, momentum and luck.

The boys did well today and should have been playing 10 men max for an hour.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: December 31, 2011, 12:22:54 am »
I like the look of that young Gerrard. Hopefully we'll see more of him.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:31 am »
I don't think you'll get a logical answer to that, other than.. He's 22, so be patient.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #588 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:42 am »
Am I one of the few who thought Carroll was half decent tonight. I thought he had a few nice touches tonight and held up the ball well. He's only 22 at the end if the day. I think he will come good. We looked far more assured and solid than we have the last few games. Hopefully we'll play we did tonight against city and we'll come out with a result

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: December 31, 2011, 12:24:26 am »
sadly I think his team mates dont trust with the ball, in fact its blatently obvious that his teams would rather feed the ball to someone. Gerrard did bring out the best in him but really the signs are nit good at the moment.
Carroll was signed for the ball being crossed into the box like Gerrard was doing when he murdered the centre half and hit the bar.

A few more crosses like that and a few goals and you'll see a different lad.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #590 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:01 am »
Went to the match. Happy with the win.

:)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #591 on: December 31, 2011, 12:25:22 am »
Also was this not the first game we had won from 1-0 behind for some time?

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #592 on: December 31, 2011, 12:27:17 am »
Bellamy was immense tonight and the cameo from Gerrard showed us just what weve been missing.
Cant wait to see a fully fit Gerrard and Suarez in the same side.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:52 am »
Carroll's main problem was that before Gerrard came on there was nobody within about 20 yards of the lad whenever he got the ball.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #594 on: December 31, 2011, 12:29:27 am »
Great free kick from Bellamy, cracking clearance from Martin Skrtel and Steven Gerrard stole the show.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #595 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:54 am »
@optaLenin Every game we have won at Anfield this season, Andy Carroll has played. #winning

Offline AnyGivenSunday

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:56 am »
3 points.  Job done.  That is the crux of the matter.

Nevertheless, I agree with other who say that Andy Carroll didn't have a particularly good game, however there was enough there to show promise - particularly the potential for Carroll getting on the end of crosses from deep (in this game they came from Gerrard).  I really want to see him do well as he undoubtedly has the  potential to become a unique weapon for us and I hope to see him start the game against City to see if he can use the few bright moments in his performance tonight as a platform to build from.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: December 31, 2011, 12:33:04 am »
@optaLenin Every game we have won at Anfield this season, Andy Carroll has played. #winning

Correlation does not equal causality.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:03 am »
Correlation does not equal causality.

I prefer Holby.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: December 31, 2011, 12:35:00 am »
Just saw that cabaye on spearing tackle, fucking HORRIBLE twat, could of easily broke his leg.