Author Topic: Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (New book out now)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (New book out now)
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:57:51 am »
This is a new poetry book, out now available through Amazon etc,all proceeds will go towards Liverpool's Alder Hey Children's Hospital.

Many thanks to John Aldridge and Brian Reade for writing 2 of the introductions.

The narrative is what's provided on Amazon, but Steve Kelly also provided the Foreword, Steve lost his younger brother Michael at Hillsborough,Steve has been an active and vocal campaigner for Justice ever since.

Carol May,PA to the Headteacher at St Margaret Mary's Catholic Primary School also kindly wrote a lovely intro for the book on behalf of her school.

The 6 beautiful colour illustrations in the book  where drawn by pupils of All Saints Catholic Primary in Anfield.

It's great to have these 2 schools involved, the future is in good hands when it comes to remembering the respecting all the victims of the Hillsborough disaster (including those who lost their lives who are not part of the recognised 96)

Book Narrative...

In 2016 after a new 2 inquest into the Hillsborough disaster, a verdict was returned that the 96 victims where 'unlawfully killed' and that the Liverpool fans played no part in the events leading up the deaths of their fellow supporters.

This verdict came after over 2 decades of corruption, lies and cover ups from parts of the establishment who attempted to withhold the truth behind the worst sporting disaster in British history.

This book takes an in depth look into the organisations and individuals behind the lies and corruption that surrounded this tragic event.

Daily Mirror columnist Brian Reade and ex Liverpool player John Aldridge provide the introductions for this publication.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:17:41 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Re: Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (New book out now)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:54:14 am »
Congratulations Mike.

Glad you finally managed to nab Aldo, presumably from the petrol station meeting mentioned in the Asda thread!

Using illustrations from the kiddies is a great idea.

Link to Amazon page
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:13:40 am by Red Raw »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:35:00 pm »
Cheers mate and thanks for time and effort you put into sorting out the images, in the end copyright got in the way of using them, but the advice and stuff I took on board meant I knew a lot more about the images I could use (haha legally or not!)

DPI v PPI 300/600 resolution etc etc, tougher than any poem to write!

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:03:39 am »
Brilliant, Mike ... many congrats to you and all involved. Phil.
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:15:49 am »
Brilliant, Mike ... many congrats to you and all involved. Phil.

Thanks very much, stuff like this is not on the sort of scale you've constantly come up with, but just my little contribution in the best way I know how.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2017, 01:06:16 pm »
This is from the new book, there are 3 parts to this poem. There are also other poems in the book that highlight the risk the authorities took with the lives of innocent people in a Stadium not fit to hold the game. The ground was hit with a 6 year ban from hosting semi final games after Spurs fans had a near miss in the Leppings Lane in 1981. In 87, there was still problems at that end, and I went in 88 those problems where still evident, but nobody took any notice, they still chose to gamble....bastards.

Russian Roulette (part 1)

In 1981 the cylinder was spun.
No shot was fired from that gun.
One chance gone, five remain.
Russian Roulette, a perilous game.

Now a stadium ban, a 6 year break.
Ample time for changes to make.
But the gun’s still loaded in ’88.
A pointed weapon, now down to fate.

The trigger squeezed, chamber blank.
Lady Luck once more to thank.
No smoking gun again to be seen.
But luck running out that’ll only mean.

Ever since that first cylinder spin.
Chances of survival were getting slim.
In ‘89 the gun took aim once more.
Innocent fans the target again for sure.

If you're interested in football, poetry or above all justice check the book out on Amazo, and raise a few quid for Alder Hey in the process....cheers!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 06:02:16 pm »
Went with Justice Campaigner Steve Kelly to St Margaret Mary's school today to look around the wonderful garden the pupils there helped create.

Steve lost his younger brother at Hillsborough and has been one of the leaders of the campaign for truth and justice, he wrote the Foreword for this new book.

Lovely place that Garden, little quiet area included to reflect, say a prayer maybe. That's Steve in the picture and the school PA to Headteacher, Carol May who invited us today, and wrote an intro to the book.

I took that photo of Steve and Carol, not much good is it, so I've added one from last Summer and the poem that I wrote at the time.

The Garden
(St Margaret Mary's Junior School)

Today, in the warm July sunshine.
I visited an old junior school of mine.
Within its grounds I stood before.
A  tribute plaque at a gardens door.

A plaque carved from darkened stone.
For the 96 who never came home.
In this garden I saw love and care .
A garden to reflect, to say a prayer.

A place of peace, somewhere to go.
To watch the flowers sway and blow.
Natural beauty in full bloom and view.
A garden that shows children care too.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:08:19 pm by mikeb58 »