Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3471692 times)

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #37600 on: January 24, 2015, 08:50:10 pm »
the soundtrack to nightcrawler is bizarre. you have a scene where the main character is moving a body and the sountrack sounds like an american college film when someones been called up to the american football team. good film otherwise
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37601 on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:27 pm »
the soundtrack to nightcrawler is bizarre. you have a scene where the main character is moving a body and the sountrack sounds like an american college film when someones been called up to the american football team. good film otherwise

I think I read the director said the songs meant to reflect Lou's thoughts at the time
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #37602 on: January 24, 2015, 11:05:36 pm »
Another recommendation for The Hunt.  Suberbly acted (especially by Mikkelsen) and very moving, I thought.  Quite frightening how easily things can unravel as the result of such an accusation.

Watched this last night and have to agree with the above - Mikkelsen's performance was perfect.  Great film.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37603 on: January 25, 2015, 12:31:20 am »
Just watched fury. Solid war film, nice to see the change in direction away from glorification. The film was a bit chaotic in the latter stages but it was an engaging watch.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #37604 on: January 25, 2015, 04:52:43 am »
Saw "The Babadook". Not really sure what the hell I just watched. Is it an allegory about grief? About the strains of motherhood? Is it just a crazy Australian horror movie? What was that ending?? I was suitably creeped out and confused all at the same time.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #37605 on: January 25, 2015, 07:48:48 am »
Saw "The Babadook". Not really sure what the hell I just watched. Is it an allegory about grief? About the strains of motherhood? Is it just a crazy Australian horror movie? What was that ending?? I was suitably creeped out and confused all at the same time.

It's about a woman with sexual depression.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #37606 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:25 am »
For some reason could not watch Interstellar but had a watch last night.

That was awesome

9/10
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #37607 on: January 25, 2015, 10:41:23 am »
Taken 3 - Absolute shite of the highest order. In fact worse than that!

Oh and Everly wasn't much better!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #37608 on: January 25, 2015, 11:38:15 am »
Whiplash was amazing. Definitely think going to see it over American Sniper was the right call.

JK Simmons is gonna walk best supporting actor.

Spoiler
Oh and I doubt there'll be a better or more enthralling action sequence this year than that drum solo
[close]

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #37609 on: January 25, 2015, 12:00:45 pm »
If you're into Herzog, the superb Aquirre, Wrath of God featuring Kinski at his nutty best is on Film4 tonight at 11.15.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #37610 on: January 25, 2015, 01:46:34 pm »
A Most Wanted Man

Was ok... not great.
Not particularly engrossing, entertaining or a particularly great story.
PSH was great in his role but nobody else really grabbed me and the film just didn't really do anything for me.
I enjoy slow burners and subtle movies and  thought I'd really enjoy this... as I said, it was ok.

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37611 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:52 pm »
Saw 'Her' last night and it's probably the best recent flick I've seen in the past year or so (along with Whiplash).
Mesmerizing performances from Phoenix and Johansson and it's a movie that really leaves you thinking about nature of certain things we take for granted.
Also the flavour of this not so distant future, the way it was depicted is just superb. Excellent use of colour throughout the film.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #37612 on: January 25, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »
Taken 3 - Absolute shite of the highest order . . .

Ever seen a film sooo bad that you couldn't help but watch it all the way through?
Basket Case 2 was on the other night - what the fuck did I do to myself.   :(

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #37613 on: January 25, 2015, 07:15:47 pm »
Did anyone else wanted Winter Sleep to never end?

Beautiful film.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:50:25 pm by greyfade »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37614 on: January 25, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »
If you're into Herzog, the superb Aquirre, Wrath of God featuring Kinski at his nutty best is on Film4 tonight at 11.15.

Great film, along with Fitzcarraldo.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #37615 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:40 pm »

Or go and see the Penguins of Madagascar..... Which he also features in...

No really, he does, it's great!
Although, this for me is a defining herzog moment as he gets shot during an interview.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXqc8TQ15w
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37616 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:11 pm »
Watched Taken 3.

Awful yawn fest and a waste of a 104 minutes and no suprise it was bad when Luc Besson wrote the script, and the actress who plays his daughter is over 30 in real life and through the trilogy she's been playing a teenager,awful casting on her part when you look at it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37617 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »
For some reason could not watch Interstellar but had a watch last night.

That was awesome

9/10

Likewise, bit of a head scratcher but was enthralling.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #37618 on: January 25, 2015, 07:33:29 pm »
John Wank, as I shall now call it, is wick. Which is now what I call wank.

0.000000000001/10
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #37619 on: January 25, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »

An amazing movie, and worth watching for the final scene alone. Two absolute geniuses, at the peak of form.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37620 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:49 pm »
The making of that movie is fantastic viewing too,watching Kinski having meltdowns is hypnotic viewing.

Aguirre was the first of five collaborations between Herzog and the volatile Kinski. The director and the actor had differing views as to how the role should be played, and they clashed throughout the film's production, while Kinski's tantrums terrorized both the crew and the local natives who assisted the production
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #37621 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:47 pm »
John Wank, as I shall now call it, is wick. Which is now what I call wank.

that reminds me...I'll have to dig some of my old Wickers World videos out
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #37622 on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:26 pm »
Hurt Locker: Boss, best war films in ages. Everything about it was just spot on.
9/10
Zodiac: Fincher at his best, much better than Gone Girl and maybe even Fight Club and Se7en
9/10
The Wicker Man:  :o. When Cage started punching all the women  ;D. Just an awful film, but I knew that before I watched it  :butt
2/10
Taken 3: Dreadful, shite, woeful, piss poor. Can't blame Neeson for taking the money and running though
4/10

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37623 on: January 26, 2015, 01:22:50 am »
Just watched fury. Solid war film, nice to see the change in direction away from glorification. The film was a bit chaotic in the latter stages but it was an engaging watch.
I thought it was the opposite. It glorified the American war effort, whilst it turned the SS Waffen and German troops in general into idiot cartoon character cannon fodder. The last act of the film being the most obvious example of that. As if that scenario would have played out the way it did in the actual war.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37624 on: January 26, 2015, 02:29:41 am »
I thought it was the opposite. It glorified the American war effort, whilst it turned the SS Waffen and German troops in general into idiot cartoon character cannon fodder. The last act of the film being the most obvious example of that. As if that scenario would have played out the way it did in the actual war.
Does the American war effort need glorifying? They're trying to oust the Nazis after all. The soldiers themselves ... they were not glorified (until the end like you said). When Pitt
Spoiler
forces him to shoot the SS troop, and then shoots him himself after he refuses .... yeah you don't see stuff like that too much
[close]
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #37625 on: January 26, 2015, 03:48:25 am »
Does the American war effort need glorifying? They're trying to oust the Nazis after all. The soldiers themselves ... they were not glorified (until the end like you said). When Pitt
Spoiler
forces him to shoot the SS troop, and then shoots him himself after he refuses .... yeah you don't see stuff like that too much
[close]

Pretty well trodden ground really. Band of Brothers did it 13 years ago.

And the last scene was, whatever you think of the politics, just a weeeee bit too long. Like about 20 minutes too long.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #37626 on: January 26, 2015, 05:04:49 am »
Whiplash...

Spoiler
Whiplash was a good watch, but either I 'didn't get it', or my general dislike of drumming has tainted the enjoyment from my initial viewing. Perhaps it is a mixture of both, but I don't mind admitting that. Either way, I'm going to bang that old drum of, 'I didn't like the ending', which probably points back to my first point. Okay, it started and ended with a similar motif and perhaps there's a mood or tone there that simply passed me by with regards to how the film closed. Nonetheless, I couldn't tell you what I was expecting, as the emotional rhythm of the film was like Jazz in itself and with no real big ass ending, I'm wondering if there is something thematic that I'm missing that someone may point out to me. Or did it just end on a perfect note? I'm not sure; however, dramatically it was peaking at that point and I really wanted and ending that I could relate to, but again, I'll refer to my first point. I'm fairly sure that there is something that I'm missing, as I'm not inherently a 'pro-bow-tie' film lover with a taste for standardization in film structure; yet saying all that, I would like to see where the story leads and would probably give a second instalment a watch if there was ever to be one. I'll mark that one down to duality though.

The plot was interesting and poignant at times and I thought you never knew which way the story was going to go, which again, may be something to do with the theme of the film though, not sure. The performances all round where great and the nature of the lead, lead the way, really well; his confidence growing and growing alongside J.K Simmons' characters'  angst was nice to see. It's funny, there is an Acting tutor at LIPA who is a much more watered down version of J.K Simmons' character and whilst he doesn't go to the same extremities, he has a very similar method, albeit in a different discipline; more often than not though, you would see the ill-effects of this negative reinforcement method in the vast majority of students. Still however, there could be a Lawrence Olivier just waiting around the corner. Which casts a rather interesting question about the ethos of this film. It felt, almost, Dead Poets Society, but on steroids, wearing a blue hat and I do genuinely think that this film opens up an interesting message within that whole philosophy of pedagogy.

At the end of the day though, it's a film and while it's always good to talk, it is sometime good to remember that.
[close]
Dunno, I'll give it another watch though, perhaps consecutive viewings will, y'know. Grip me more. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:09:42 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37627 on: January 26, 2015, 05:14:28 am »
Spoiler
The teacher was talking about how he coaches musicians to get the maximum potential out of them, yet he's never had one that made it to the big time after all those years. At the ending, after that ridiculous solo, it's implied that he's finally coached a star and that the drummer is going to be one of the grears
[close]
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37628 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:30 am »
If Whiplash didn't grip you from start to finish and the performances weren't mesmerising, then there's not a lot you can do - there's nothing to "get" really and I doubt you're "missing" any plot points or underlying meaning.
It is what it is.

I found it gripping, thrilling and an incredible experience. A pretty flawless and perfect film.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #37629 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:39 am »
If Whiplash didn't grip you from start to finish and the performances weren't mesmerising, then there's not a lot you can do - there's nothing to "get" really and I doubt you're "missing" any plot points or underlying meaning.
It is what it is.

I found it gripping, thrilling and an incredible experience. A pretty flawless and perfect film.

Ditto......the film's all about the emotional ride.......if you didn't get on it, no amount of analysis or intellectualising will unearth anything for you
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #37630 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:07 am »

Ditto......the film's all about the emotional ride.......if you didn't get on it, no amount of analysis or intellectualising will unearth anything for you

It is what it is.

It takes all kinds.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37631 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:51 am »
Whiplash...

Spoiler
Whiplash was a good watch, but either I 'didn't get it', or my general dislike of drumming has tainted the enjoyment from my initial viewing. Perhaps it is a mixture of both, but I don't mind admitting that. Either way, I'm going to bang that old drum of, 'I didn't like the ending', which probably points back to my first point. Okay, it started and ended with a similar motif and perhaps there's a mood or tone there that simply passed me by with regards to how the film closed. Nonetheless, I couldn't tell you what I was expecting, as the emotional rhythm of the film was like Jazz in itself and with no real big ass ending, I'm wondering if there is something thematic that I'm missing that someone may point out to me. Or did it just end on a perfect note? I'm not sure; however, dramatically it was peaking at that point and I really wanted and ending that I could relate to, but again, I'll refer to my first point. I'm fairly sure that there is something that I'm missing, as I'm not inherently a 'pro-bow-tie' film lover with a taste for standardization in film structure; yet saying all that, I would like to see where the story leads and would probably give a second instalment a watch if there was ever to be one. I'll mark that one down to duality though.

The plot was interesting and poignant at times and I thought you never knew which way the story was going to go, which again, may be something to do with the theme of the film though, not sure. The performances all round where great and the nature of the lead, lead the way, really well; his confidence growing and growing alongside J.K Simmons' characters'  angst was nice to see. It's funny, there is an Acting tutor at LIPA who is a much more watered down version of J.K Simmons' character and whilst he doesn't go to the same extremities, he has a very similar method, albeit in a different discipline; more often than not though, you would see the ill-effects of this negative reinforcement method in the vast majority of students. Still however, there could be a Lawrence Olivier just waiting around the corner. Which casts a rather interesting question about the ethos of this film. It felt, almost, Dead Poets Society, but on steroids, wearing a blue hat and I do genuinely think that this film opens up an interesting message within that whole philosophy of pedagogy.

At the end of the day though, it's a film and while it's always good to talk, it is sometime good to remember that.
[close]
Dunno, I'll give it another watch though, perhaps consecutive viewings will, y'know. Grip me more. 

Spoiler
I thought the ending was one of its strongest points, and was pleasantly surprised with how it played out.

I was expecting the usual Hollywood preachy ending, where the instructor would eventually see the error of his ways, and redeem himself as a nice guy. And the pupil would realize there was more to life and that other things were important too, and he'd reunite with his girlfriend and blah blah blah...

But instead, we get both perspectives. We hear about the musician who commits suicide, which paints the instructor in quite a bad light. Throughout the movie, he's mostly seen as the antagonist.
Then we get to hear where the instructor was coming from, and the audience is left to decide for itself whether his methods were valid or not.
That kind of ambiguity is all too rare in Hollywood movies these days.
And on a dramatic level, I thought it was played out really well, with the music left having the last word, as it were.
[close]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37632 on: January 26, 2015, 02:27:13 pm »
my general dislike of drumming

What the fuck man?

Rhythm is life!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37633 on: January 26, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »
Loved Starred Up, good acting and a very solid movie.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #37634 on: January 26, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »
Going through a few foreign classics, and picked up a not well known American film called Terminator 2 - Judgement Day, a real head scratcher, there were a few moments that were genuinely like someone parodying the film within the film, I'd like to see a remake with the campiness and cheese taken out.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #37635 on: January 26, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

Honestly mate, it's a brilliant watch and the kid is a cracking actor. As bad as his character seems, you can't help rooting for him.

Really enjoyed that film mate, thanks for the suggestion :wave
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #37636 on: January 26, 2015, 05:10:24 pm »
Watched Mulholland Drive for the first time. Once you understand it (some of it) you understand some of the genius of it. Will watch it again though.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #37637 on: January 26, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »
Watched The Judge last night, cracking film.

Spoiler
2 things.

1. Mid way through Duvall gets asked Who is the best judge he has seen/worked with by Downey. I piped up to my mrs. At the end of the film he will say its him...low and behold and 2. Follows on from that as he then tells him (when they are out fishing) that his brother could have been someone, in reference to his baseball career. I thought that tied in brilliantly with the rest of the film Duvalls character was a hard ass towards Downey. So he have him something (said he was the best), but then reminded him he had fucked up, and then died.
[close]
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37638 on: January 26, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »
What the fuck man?

Rhythm is life!

...And life is Rhythm

8)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37639 on: January 26, 2015, 05:23:45 pm »
It takes all kinds.

It does indeed mate, would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

8)