Author Topic: Gerrard: Saga Concluded. Where Now for the Midfield?  (Read 10042 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Gerrard: Saga Concluded. Where Now for the Midfield?
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:58:51 pm »
So he's staying, and staying for good. Thank God. For a start, I can (happily) stop writing about the hoopla surrounding Steven Gerrard, and hopefully stick to him sticking his foot in, and sticking the ball in the net.

But where does that leave Liverpool? Better or worse off?

Like most Reds, I've had my doubts about Gerrard these past 13 months: torn between the unique qualities he offers and the sour-faced, troubled soul who seemed unsure if he still wanted to represent the only club who should ever matter to him.

He was in danger of doing more harm than good; as it was, 2004/05 was too heavily overshadowed by the Gerrard Circus (similar to the Gerry Cottle version, only with less dancing elephants), and it could not be allowed to happen again this coming season.

But his admission last week was all I wanted to hear; in fact, it went beyond what I was expecting. It was utterly unequivocal. In his usual way, he was open and honest,  and left absolutely no room for backtracking.

The key wasn't that he merely stay, but that he wanted to stay –– and play for the club with every ounce of passion. As I said before, I'd rather be shot of him than have to watch a player so talented going through the motions.

"I'd also like it known there are no clauses in that contract. This won't be happening again next summer or ever again, so far as I'm concerned. I've committed my long-term future to the club and I want all the speculation to end now."

That's pretty clear.

"I have learnt a hell of a lot from the past few days and more than anything, I have learnt that Liverpool is me –– no-one else –– and that winning things here would mean more to me than winning them anywhere else."

And so is that. He was also right to suggest that Liverpool –– and not another club –– deserve to see the impending 'prime years' of his career.

It seems to have humbled him, unlike last summer, where the issue was left open, and as such, dragged him and the team down. And he needed humbling: he needed to totally re-evaluate his life and his footballing career, and to discover what mattered to him.

The summer of 2004 was about Steven Gerrard deciding not to leave Liverpool; the summer of 2005 has been about him choosing to stay at Liverpool.

The way he pledged his future to the club last week means so much, as he did so knowing what it was like to come close to playing his football elsewhere. If Steven Gerrard could not bring himself to leave this summer, he never will. There was nothing half-hearted about his press statements.

It was the declaration of love to us, the fans, from a man who had recently been only prepared to avoid eye-contact in mumbling "ditto".

Last season took its toll. His form suffered. Still, it's not bad if you can score 13 goals from midfield, with no penalties or direct free-kicks, and lift the European Cup, when having a poor season. 

Future benefits

If the first half in Istanbul was a shocking reminder of how even Alonso and the  alarmingly anaemic Gerrard can be overrun by an awesome attacking side (thankfully, you don't come up against players like those every week!), the second half showed Gerrard at his best: powering forward, and suddenly responsible for two of the Reds' three goals. A legendary defence cracked at his promptings. Then, in injury time, Gerrard was utterly sublime at right-back.

That he played at right-back for the cause was a good sign, from a player who can be excellent on either flank, and who would be by far and away the best right-back in the world, if it wasn't a waste of his talent to leave him there on a regular basis. Doing so to win the European Cup is one thing; to get a result at Wigan is another.

Under Gérard Houllier, Steven Gerrard was still a malleable young player, (relatively) happy to play wherever he was asked to. But we are now talking about an experienced pro who has been at the top of the game for half a decade. Even though his form occasionally suffered when played at right midfield for too many consecutive games in the past, it is a position where he remains hugely effective. I was getting the sense that Benítez would have his work cut out getting him to play anywhere other than centre midfield, and that's never a good situation for a manager.

It's no surprise to hear that the relationship between manager and captain is a little strained, even frosty. There is no outright hostility, but Benítez is someone who was seen as cold and calculating at Valencia –– and that without the barriers of language and culture that exist between Spaniard and Scouser.

Given how much Houllier indulged Gerrard (as was understandable, at the time), it is clear to see how the captain could conclude that his new boss might be 'under-whelmed'. Benítez inherited a more complex character than the one Houllier plucked from the Academy.

Benítez has his favourite players, like any manager: those he likes to pick, and those he picks only when he has to. But he has no favourites. He cares only about the team, not individuals.

Alonso is a player whose style Rafa clearly admires, with a personality the boss cannot speak more highly of, but the Spanish playmaker sat out games last season; Gerrard tended to play whenever fit. Benítez does not appear to indulge players like some other managers, and while some players need the 'arm around the shoulder' approach, Rafa's methods clearly work. He doesn't have to be their best mate.

Gerrard has had to learn that Rafa has his own approach, and that it is not intended to undermine.

I read one report suggest that Benítez prefers the thoughtful approach of Alonso over the hell-for-leather style of Gerrard. But it was presented as a very narrow-minded view –– i.e. Gerrard is flawed and Alonso is perfect.

It's daft, as they are totally different types of players who, together, should form the perfect blend. They can both do things the other cannot. It's like saying you love the wheels of your car, and would be happy to discard the engine. Wheels without an engine are just stationary lumps of rubber, and an engine without wheels can pump its pistons all it wants, but it won't get you anywhere.

Alonso is a different personality to Gerrard: apparently more 'modest' and studious.  Less excitable. Xabi is the son of Periko, a Barcelona player and Spanish international, and as such, will have grown up with ultra-intelligent guidance from his father. He will have learned lessons that other players would not have had to fortune to be privy to.

Much of Gerrard's game is about being the centre of attention, but let's not forget, we relied for a long time on him being the only one to get hold of the ball and damn-well do something positive with it. Often he was left to do it all on his own. While it took Hamann's introduction and Xabi's increasing composure to get a foothold in the Champions League final, it would have meant nothing without Gerrard's cutting edge; and it needed Gerrard's versatility in extra-time.

Now the captain has to adapt his game –– and last season he was trying to do so while under great pressure, much of it internal. His role was altered, and his importance to the team lessened by the arrival of Alonso. Gerrard had become less crucial –– still a key component, of course, but no longer the team's fulcrum. He will adapt to being one of many players capable of winning a game.

Momo Sissoko's arrival will lift a little of the burden on Gerrard in terms of energy and power.

In fact, the Liverpool midfield is starting to look rather phenomenal. While the defence still has a worrying lack of cover, and the strikers, while possessing the quality, have yet to all deliver (I trust they will), the midfield looks simply awesome –– and will look all the stronger if Figo arrives, too.

In Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzales, Luis Garcia, Kewell, Riise, Zenden and Figo (if...if), as well as others like Nunez and Welsh, there is a bit of everything for Rafa to choose from, and no little versatility, should the manager wish to deploy at least half of them in other positions. With that array, it seems Rafa's favoured 4-2-3-1 formation will be the logical way forward.

There are super-quick players; wonderful passers and crossers; box-to-boxers; those with sublime skill on the ball; experience and potential; destructive and creative types; stoppers and scorers. Quite frankly, it puts Manchester United's to shame: and five years ago they were the byword in midfield supremacy. Even Chelsea and Arsenal don't have greater depth in the middle of the park.

Midfield could be the base on which Liverpool's title challenge is based. All the better to have a fully-committed Steven Gerrard as a key part of it.

© Paul Tomkins, 2005

Special news update:
As of tomorrow, Monday 11th July, I will be commencing a new regular 'exclusive' column at www.ynwa.tv, in addition to my current one here. It will start with an extract of "Golden Past, Red Future", focusing on Xabi Alonso.

As part of the union, it will also be the cheapest place to buy "Golden Past, Red Future", with a saving of between £2-£4 –– in that postage will be free to anywhere in the world.

Already in the HJC shop, the book is currently winging its way to various stores on Merseyside –– see www.paultomkins.com for details.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 08:16:16 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard: Saga Concluded. Where Now for the Midfield?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:00:59 pm »
You're writing more pieces than me.

:P

Will read and make more of a comment tomorrow.

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:01:32 pm »
bloody hell!!

have you just written all this now?

cos you've just been on that other thread.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 08:11:39 pm »
bloody hell!!

have you just written all this now?

cos you've just been on that other thread.

I can have more than one window open at any given time!  :D

Offline Not So Xabi

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 08:16:21 pm »
you can write Paul...
ever thought about a book or anything??????

Offline FTW

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 08:18:12 pm »
Top read as usual.  ;D

I think alot of blame was layed at Gerrards door for our first half in the CL final..
Sure he was a spectator, but so was a fair portion of our team, in my eyes.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what systems Rafa goes with, as he has alot of "possibilities" at his disposal.  :)

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 08:29:28 pm »
Another good read Paul, like the book. Like the banner at yesterdays game said "Like the European cup he is ours to keep".
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 08:29:36 pm »
It'll certainly be interesting to see what systems Rafa goes with, as he has alot of "possibilities" at his disposal.  :)

I didn't realise how many good midfielders we had until I listed them - although two tend to double as 'second striker', and one as a left back.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 08:30:24 pm »
Good read  :)

IMO Gerrard has to lose the attitude,either that or Rafa has to beat it out of him. There's no point having a player who has his head up his arse and arrogance that will demoralise the team. A certain swagger is acceptable i think.

Also, evidence from the european cup final. Away from home Hamann has to play behind Xabi and Gerrard to offer protection. At home we will be more attacking but this tactic i think will be used alot as Benitez likes 1 up top.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 08:33:30 pm »
i'd like to see us go with a 4-2-3-1 for most games, and a 4-4-2 at home wehn we get the lower teams comimg to defend.

so, depending on who rafa goes with, as we'll have plenty of options in all positions.

sissoko   alonso

garcia/figo    gerrard    zenden/riise

cisse

Offline LES

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 08:48:18 pm »
With the players we have brought in this season and still more to come the different midfields we can put out for different teams and type of games are endless, feel confident we will get a top 3 finish this year.

Offline Squidge

• Is it on Sky?...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 08:53:39 pm »
cracking read  :wellin
Monkey monkey do

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 08:58:06 pm »
Once again Paul excellent article. Wiith all the articles you've written here you could make another book. :P
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 08:58:38 pm »
Great article. Our midfield has lots of possibilites for sure.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 09:01:23 pm »
Once again Paul excellent article. Wiith all the articles you've written here you could make another book. :P

Well, the Gerrard saga could be a book in itself.

Anyway, wasn't sure if people were sick of reading about Gerrard, but wanted to conclude my thoughts on the matter.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 09:06:11 pm »
I think people were more tired about the ranting about gerrard, but glad to put that saga to rest so we can move foward.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 09:11:58 pm »
our midfield is what has got me really excited about the coming season. it's an age old truth that midfield is far and away the most crucial element for the team - playing vital roles in both defensive and offensive play.

in terms of playing defensively next season, we've got players who can play right across the midfield and tighten things up / power through "spoiling" teams like blackburn:

left: warnock / riise

centre: sissoko / alonso / gerrard / hamann / welsh

right: gerrard / finnan

offensively, we've also got options for each position:

left: kewell / garcia / zenden (and poss. figo)

centre: garcia / zenden / sissoko / gerrard (and poss. figo)

right: garcia (and poss. figo - presumably stelios if not) + gerrard at a push

add to that the fact that zenden is no slouch defensively (while IMO both kewell and garcia have shown they work hard for the team) and that players like alonso, hamann and riise can all attack competently, and i think we have the makings of a midfield CRAMMED with awesome POSSIBILITIES.

it's true that we're going to need to recruit well in defence, and we'll need players like baros, morientes, cisse and crouch if we sign him, to do their jobs, but if the midfield performs well, then it will become so much easier for the rest of the team. strikers will be presented with easy chances, the goalscoring burden will be shared by the midfield, while the defence will be well protected.

if benitez pulls the figo signing off, then i can really see us playing some sparkling football next season. we saw some signs that benitez was coaxing some "sexy" football from a midfield with fewer attacking options (particularly given kewell's fitness / form). the signs are that next season, it could be far far more of that sort of stuff to come.

i, personally, cannot wait.

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 09:15:08 pm »
PS paul, got my book through on Thursday. It will come in handy for the coach/plane trip when setting off on my hols. ;)
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 09:22:40 pm »
The only concern now is we could have too many midfielders. I reckon we'll use two from Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko and Hamann in the center. It'll be Zenden or Kewell down the left. Garcia or Figo(?) down the right. Gonzalez?

Potter and Welsh will find it extremely difficult to make it. Nunez is most likely off. Riise to play at LB.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 09:23:50 pm »
The only concern now is we could have too many midfielders

you are never satisified  ;)

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 09:29:58 pm »
With a long season ahead for the boys, i think our midfield abundance is a great sign. I also love the fact that several of the boys can play in different positions, which is something that should help buffer any god-forsaken injury plagues should they arise.

Great article, bro.
ooooooooohhh. . .the pedigree of that shot!. . . .

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 09:30:52 pm »
The only concern now is we could have too many midfielders. I reckon we'll use two from Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko and Hamann in the center. It'll be Zenden or Kewell down the left. Garcia or Figo(?) down the right. Gonzalez?

Potter and Welsh will find it extremely difficult to make it. Nunez is most likely off. Riise to play at LB.

you assume a 4-4-2 formation to suggest we have too many, but 4-5-1 is also quite likely to be deployed a lot.

possibly also benitez is now suffering paranoia about injuries in the "rough" premiership?

don't forget too that with supercup / world club cup and the fact that we'll obviously ( :) ) progress all the way in the CL, league and FA cups, then we'll need them all...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 09:32:26 pm »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2005, 09:37:13 pm »

Forgot about Potter. But again, it's up to guys like that to prove they are good enough. Potter and Welsh may need loan spells - could benefit everyone.

PS paul, got my book through on Thursday. It will come in handy for the coach/plane trip when setting off on my hols. ;)

:wave

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2005, 09:41:06 pm »
would feel sorry for welsh having to go out on loan, but potter is a bit younger (isn't he?).

i think this is a big season for welsh - if he doesn't break through a bit this time out, then chances are, he'll not make it at anfield.

woudl be a shame - it's always nice to see young players coming through from the academy.

but as paul says, welsh himself will only deserve to make it if he's genuinely good enough. and if he's genuinely good enough then he'll make the breakthrough.

the signing of sissoko makes me sceptical that benitez sees it happening...

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2005, 09:48:18 pm »
i like welsh, he's a good young player, but it'll be difficult to break through with the likes of gerrard, alonso, and sissoko and hamman now in there. still, i think he'll still play in his fair share of games next season.

it's up to him to prove his worth though.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2005, 09:50:52 pm »
but as paul says, welsh himself will only deserve to make it if he's genuinely good enough. and if he's genuinely good enough then he'll make the breakthrough.

That's the thing. They need games to improve, of course, but they need to have the potential.

I get the feeling that Mellor, Welsh and Potter will all be good Premiership players, but at other clubs. They're clearly all talented, but none appears to have that Gerrard/Owen quality.

There's still time on their side (Potter especially), but none seems truly outstanding - merely very good.

Interesting that Arsenal loanded out Alliadiere, who's 22, but still want him back next season. 22/23 tends to be the make-or-break age.

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2005, 09:56:23 pm »
Nicely written as always paul.

no need to worried about the defense though, im sure thats all in hand, as for up front, well i see a new player comming in also.

midfield (with the notable exception of a quality right winger) we are as strong as anyone in the world right now.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 09:58:30 pm »

Forgot about Potter. But again, it's up to guys like that to prove they are good enough. Potter and Welsh may need loan spells - could benefit everyone.

True, but I am a little concerned we limit their chances. There must be room for a promising player or two in the squad. Could be that we keep Didi for one more year and then expect Welsh (?) to take the 4th CM slot (Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko for the other three). But the years are ticking for JW.

For those who question my promotion of Welsh and Potter - they are not favourite players of mine. But it's not as simple as having the best players or about making sure we have 8 top class midfielders. We need to have space for up and coming young players. We can't ask of them to be ready from the start. It's impossible. So we should prepare the way for a selected few. We need to accept it takes a year or two to get them ready. If we don't, then we'll never get the next Fowler, Owen or Gerrard through the ranks. In the process, we'll have to live with a few who fail to make the grade.
This is not a unique concept. Ferguson has had a few kids in his squad over the years and it did him no harm. Brazil always make room for one young player in their World Cup squads. Ronaldo was the man in 94. Kaka was the choice in 2002.

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2005, 10:00:41 pm »
True, but I am a little concerned we limit their chances. There must be room for a promising player or two in the squad. Could be that we keep Didi for one more year and then expect Welsh (?) to take the 4th CM slot (Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko for the other three). But the years are ticking for JW.

For those who question my promotion of Welsh and Potter - they are not favourite players of mine. But it's not as simple as having the best players or about making sure we have 8 top class midfielders. We need to have space for up and coming young players. We can't ask of them to be ready from the start. It's impossible. So we should prepare the way for a selected few. We need to accept it takes a year or two to get them ready. If we don't, then we'll never get the next Fowler, Owen or Gerrard through the ranks. In the process, we'll have to live with a few who fail to make the grade.
This is not a unique concept. Ferguson has had a few kids in his squad over the years and it did him no harm. Brazil always make room for one young player in their World Cup squads. Ronaldo was the man in 94. Kaka was the choice in 2002.

good post. and i think rafa is trying to do that with welsh, potter and whitbread, who seem to be the chosen three. if anyone is going to break in, it will be one of those. unless there is a plethora of homegrown talent that we don't know about, ready to be unearthed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:04:27 pm by CaptainCarra »

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 10:06:20 pm »
why is everyone so concerned with potter and welsh breaking through? if they are the next owens/fowlers/gerrards then they will push into the team, if not then we shouldnt worry about being to good for them to break through

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 10:08:33 pm »
So we should prepare the way for a selected few. We need to accept it takes a year or two to get them ready. If we don't, then we'll never get the next Fowler, Owen or Gerrard through the ranks. In the process, we'll have to live with a few who fail to make the grade. 

But if they are not good enough, you cannot merely hope for them to exceed their abilities. For example, Sissoko is 20, and has already played a fair few games for Valencia, including their title-winning side.

Now if Welsh isn't better than Sissoko, he can't expect to play. If Welsh develops well, then Sissoko will be edged out.

The thing about the "next" Owen, Fowler or Gerrard is that they were all outstanding players at 18, and ready for the first team. Of course, Carra was less outstanding at that age, and has developed more slowly.

Offline armchair manager

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2005, 10:14:55 pm »
carragher is a good example. he never possesed fantastic ability, but he was a decent solid player and was given his chance and allowed to mature (and make his mistakes) in the team.

if we are going to compare every young player to owen or gerrard, then we will always be disapointed in them.

i do think the current climate, with the leaning towards foreigners, really doesn't give the young british kids a chance, even if they are good enough.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:16:43 pm by CaptainCarra »

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005, 10:21:51 pm »
nice one paul!

one thing though: regarding ynwa.tv- when you say "exclusive" i hope you mean that they've been posted here first?!

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline NeilMac

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2005, 10:39:32 pm »
A great post as always, Paul.

I must admit that I was resigned to the loss of Gerrard and was wondering how the £35m? would be spent. I came to the conclusion that with so many positions needing strengthening, it might not be a bad thing to exchange Gerrard for, say, 3 quality players.

Nonetheless, for several reasons, I am much happier now that he has decided to stay.

The one doubt I have is exactly where he fits into Benitez’s team. We all know that he is greatly gifted player, and it has seemed to me that he is most effective in breaking through from midfield with an energy and power that defences find almost impossible to stop, or in passing the ball with superb accuracy. Clearly, on the evidence from Istanbul, he is an outstanding right back, too.

But, if Alonso is to be the distributor of the ball in midfield and Garcia plays on the right with Zenden/Kewell/Riise on the left, does Gerrard have the capacity to play alongside Alonso? Actually, I’m not doubting his capacity, just questioning the pairing! Do we need a holding midfielder? Is Gerrard that type of player?

No doubt the midfield looks extremely impressive on paper. How do you think Benitez will employ them as an effective unit? Is Gerrard’s great talent, enthusiasm, creativity and inspiration enough to overcome any problems of this sort?

I don’t know. Do you have any thoughts on this?

(I don’t think that Gerrard was as poor in the first half in Istanbul as is generally suggested, neither was the team that bad either!)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005, 10:47:32 pm »
why is everyone so concerned with potter and welsh breaking through? if they are the next owens/fowlers/gerrards then they will push into the team, if not then we shouldnt worry about being to good for them to break through

It's not so much Potter and Welsh as the "system".

to be honest, I think we'll have to accept the kids to become squad players. I know I was the one who mentioned Owen, Fowler and Gerrard, but they are exceptions. If the Academy can supply us with a squad player each year, it's a good outcome.

The problem is there's a fine balance between having too many and too few players. Too many and the kids won't get to play. Too few and the team will suffer.
IMO it's better to have too few than too many. We should gamble a little to keep a smaller squad. That will force players to take a step up. We should actively seek a situation where we get our young players involved. Say a defender, a midfielder and a striker every season. In a squad of say 25 players. Naturally dependent on their quality, but you get the point. After a year, only one of those three is likely to remain, but that's alright. We have ourselves a squad player and two-three others get a chance to impress. 

The benefit of this system is huge. It goes way beyond Welsh's and Potter's futures. We get a smaller squad. That means lower wage costs and it's much easier for us to sell/buy players. Everyone will have a distinct and obvious role. There will always be space (and money) left for an urgent signing, should we need it or should someone unique be available. Players at the Academy will know they get the chance, if they perform.

It's so easy to do the opposite - jam the squad with players, to be on the safe side. Then lay all the burden on the kids to make the grade. It's also easy to defend that policy. We need the quality and can't afford "passengers". But the outcome is likely to be a higher wage budget, a more isolated Academy and unclear roles for some of the players.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2005, 11:39:20 pm »

I can have more than one window open at any given time!  :D
The magic of Mac.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2005, 11:54:05 pm »
judging from the Wrehem match and last year, also that Rafa does like to rotate, the kids will get their chance.

the signings - the versatility, quality (especially if we add Figo) AND quantity - are just, if not more, than I have hoped for.   while another striker would be nice, a centre back is essential and judging from the transfer rumours (keep us going in the close season, don't they  :P) it will be addressed too.

so, next season's gonna interesting (they always are, none more so 2005-06).  the possibilities in the midfield and front.... roll on now!  :D

Offline Bluto-clause

• ave a go hero, first punch is free
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005, 02:41:35 am »
Hands rubbed together untill nearly on fire!
During the week I check the boxes
At the week-end I fill in the blanks
And when I close my eyes at night
I'm the king of all I survey.

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005, 06:50:14 am »
Gerrard will cause more problems this season if the team don't do well. But so what? We knew that anyway.

4-2-3-1 is the most flexible formation there is, it can be definitely be said to be Rafa's favourite formation. And I think are going to see a lot of it next season.

I hope we don't see it as 4-5-1, but rather 4-2-3-1.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/