Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 830272 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #4120 on: September 18, 2023, 01:37:25 pm »

Thank you,

Siberia with King's Fish Supper Bar (and good people)

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #4121 on: November 25, 2023, 07:00:17 pm »

St Margaret's Church, West Derby Road and Belmont Road, back in the day.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4122 on: November 25, 2023, 07:32:59 pm »
I see they're demolishing an old building on Duke Street, by the corner of Slater Street. I know it's only a stonework facade for a brick building, but bloody hell - you know what's going up in it's place.

I think this is it, found the location on google. I don't the whole building has been taken, but it boggles my mind the lack of foresight being shown by developers.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4123 on: November 26, 2023, 01:01:24 am »

St Margaret's Church, West Derby Road and Belmont Road, back in the day.

Is that the Belmont pub on the left?
We are Liverpool!

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: November 26, 2023, 09:19:15 am »
Is that the Belmont pub on the left?

Yes it is , a new church was built on the old site

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4125 on: November 26, 2023, 07:24:07 pm »

For about 6 years I used to get off the 27 bus every weekday at The Belmont , before legging round the corner to get the 18 on West Derby rd.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4126 on: December 4, 2023, 09:55:55 pm »

I used to play 5 a side just opposite The Belmont. Is Chant still the landlord?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: December 5, 2023, 04:51:39 pm »
I see they're demolishing an old building on Duke Street, by the corner of Slater Street. I know it's only a stonework facade for a brick building, but bloody hell - you know what's going up in it's place.

I think this is it, found the location on google. I don't the whole building has been taken, but it boggles my mind the lack of foresight being shown by developers.

That's criminal, another one through the back door, what we really need is shit buildings being created to house more hen party hotels to replace history. Will also impact on Wolstenhome Square at the back although the loss at the back is less of a problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:85_-_89_Duke_Street_1.jpg

« Last Edit: December 5, 2023, 04:56:57 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: December 5, 2023, 08:18:22 pm »

That's criminal, another one through the back door, what we really need is shit buildings being created to house more hen party hotels to replace history. Will also impact on Wolstenhome Square at the back although the loss at the back is less of a problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:85_-_89_Duke_Street_1.jpg

It's utterly disgusting, mate. At least keep the frontage ffs. It looks lovely!

On a lighter note, I was trawling the internet for pictures of the Garden Festival site from 1984, and I took a screen cap of Googlemaps for a Then and Now comparison. I forgot just how huge the original site was. The current festival gardens only occupy around a third of the original site.

You can see the Britannia Pub on Otterspool Promenade in both pictures. Riverside Drive didn't even exist back then, but you can clearly see its eventual route.

Popcorn's Art

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #4129 on: December 6, 2023, 07:47:40 am »

Was this Tetley Walkers offices in the past? My mum worked there and as a kid I used to get all Manner of breweriana from there.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: December 6, 2023, 02:05:29 pm »
Well, more hotel rooms, fine for match weekends (for us) and booze parties. Trouble is that every time you knock a decent looking building down you marginally decrease the numbers who come for the way the city looks. It leads to a city full of hotels, like Leeds.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4131 on: December 6, 2023, 06:28:56 pm »

Was this Tetley Walkers offices in the past? My mum worked there and as a kid I used to get all Manner of breweriana from there.

I don't know unfortunately. I'm sure someone on here does though!

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4132 on: December 6, 2023, 10:52:41 pm »
I don't know unfortunately. I'm sure someone on here does though!

Pretty sure it’s the old Tetley building.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2052856-transport-to-retail-group-disposes-of-former-liverpool-headquarters

When I worked for Merseyside CC in the 1970s I used to visit there to take witness statements detailing the accuracy and provision of price lists in pubs when we caught one of their dodgy licence holders either actively overcharging or hiding the price list so they could overcharge.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4133 on: December 21, 2023, 07:22:55 am »
I know it's the echo site, but photos hoe the City of Liverpool looked like in 1983

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/tour-liverpool-1983-how-city-28321137
#Sausages

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4134 on: December 23, 2023, 09:25:43 pm »
I know it's the echo site, but photos hoe the City of Liverpool looked like in 1983

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/tour-liverpool-1983-how-city-28321137
Some crackers in there.
Nice swan.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #4135 on: January 30, 2024, 01:48:32 pm »
Just found out great Granddad was the architect behind the design or renovation of the following:

Liverpool School Board Offices, Liverpool; Liverpool Churches: — St. Dunstan's (Earle Road), St. John's (Walton), St. Benedict's (Everton); Lancashire Churches: — St. Ambrose's (Leyland), All Saints' (Rainford), St. John's (Hindley Green) St. Paul's (Wharton) St. Francis (Cherry Tree); Cheshire Churches: — Emanuel (New Brighton) St. Columba's (Egremont), St. Mark's (New Ferry), St. Stephen's (Prenton). Village hails: — Knotty Ash (Liverpool), and Melton (Yorks). St. Peter's Hall, Rockferry (Cheshire); Burton Wood Hall (Lancs). Schools In Liverpool: — Laurence Road, Anfield Road, Beaufort Street. Mersey Park Schools, Birkenhead; John Street Schools, Ellesmere Port; Heathfield Road Schools, Ellesmere Port; domestic work and church restoration [Source: Who's Who in Architecture 1926]

His brother designed and created the Vyrnwy dam.
Kill the humourless