Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 554874 times)

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #3040 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:36 pm »
Problem is, we are notoriously crap at negiotating transfers in a major tournament year! Need to get targets signed up before the World Cup!

Irrespective of whether you think the club are crap at transfer negotiations...it's best to get transfers sorted early, especially in a WC year.

I have a recurring memory of players who looked like world beaters in a WC and commanded high fees afterwards...only to play like Sunday pub league players [someone will no doubt remember the name of a blonde haired Polish boy who scored a worldy in a WC and was rubbish thereafter].

We don't want to get suckered in the transfer market...
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3041 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:12 pm »
If I can be 'positive' without being shouted down for not keeping my feet on the ground. I don't think I could cope with the nervousness of the final week of the season if we're still in contention.  God knows how, as a player, you'd cope with that final week.  I suppose that's the advantage of having the 'experience' in the team. I'm sure Kenny might have a few pointers should Brendan want them.....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3042 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »
If I can be 'positive' without being shouted down for not keeping my feet on the ground. I don't think I could cope with the nervousness of the final week of the season if we're still in contention.  God knows how, as a player, you'd cope with that final week.  I suppose that's the advantage of having the 'experience' in the team. I'm sure Kenny might have a few pointers should Brendan want them.....

Hey come one...come all if you're being positive.

I for one have had my fill of those who's depressing n negative pessimism is passed off as some sort of insightful 'caution'.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: February 25, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »
If City, Arsenal and Chelsea all drop any points and we don't before we meet City and Chelsea then the league is in our hands!!!

Arsenal almost certainly will drop points. Chelsea and City (and us) are the intangibles. City have been a little uneven though so who knows. Maybe they'll do something dumb.

Like I said before though if we maintain current form I think we're looking at 2nd or 3rd (depending on what City look like). I hope to god we actually go ahead and win the league, absolutely, and I'm right there with it until the moment it's no longer possible. But in the event we miss out, I'm confident we're still going to finish very, very strongly.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #3044 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:21 pm »
If Liverpool are in contention in the final week, noone should be nervous. We play Newcastle at home; their season will be over, some of their support will half want to lose if it means us winning the league over the likes of Chelsea. At best they'll be apathetic. Anfield will be utterly, unprecedentedly electric. We will wipe the floor with them, no disrespect to a  set of fans I have a lot of time for. It will be one of the best days of your life.

And we will have massively overachieved this season before kick off.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

• Kopite
« Reply #3045 on: February 25, 2014, 04:23:10 pm »
If Liverpool are in contention in the final week, noone should be nervous. We play Newcastle at home; their season will be over, some of their support will half want to lose if it means us winning the league over the likes of Chelsea. At best they'll be apathetic. Anfield will be utterly, unprecedentedly electric. We will wipe the floor with them, no disrespect to a  set of fans I have a lot of time for. It will be one of the best days of your life.

I'll be watching it in a sports bar in Aberdeen with a couple of Chelsea & United fan mates of mine...being drunk, rude and happy...no matter what the result.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3046 on: February 25, 2014, 04:24:58 pm »
can we start a "we got the best attack in the worllllld" song yet?

ooohohohohoohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
we got the best attack in the worrrrllllddd
we got daniel sturridge
Luis Suarez
Sterling and phillipe coutinhoooooooooooo

or something like that.

we're closer to the top than 5th at the moment.....gotta take each game as it comes, 11 cup finals left n all that.....but its hard not to get even abit excited! Loving being a red right now
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:29 pm »

Really in a way I think we already have. I mean sure it could all implode and we won't take a single point for the remainder of the season, but really, coming in, how many expected we'd have the best attack in the league and score 70 goals with 11 games to go? Who expected us to be 4 points off first and 6 points ahead of the next team below us? I figured we'd make top 4, sure, but "top 4" meaning fourth, and it was going to be a battle. Instead we're coasting right now.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3048 on: February 25, 2014, 04:27:59 pm »
can we start a "we got the best attack in the worllllld" song yet?

ooohohohohoohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
we got the best attack in the worrrrllllddd
we got daniel sturridge
Luis Suarez
Sterling and phillipe coutinhoooooooooooo

or something like that.

we're closer to the top than 5th at the moment.....gotta take each game as it comes, 11 cup finals left n all that.....but its hard not to get even abit excited! Loving being a red right now

No more songs about Coutinho until people learn to say it properly. If I hear "Cooteenio" ONE more time...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3049 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »
However, it will be a shock to the system, and one that will need to be carefully managed. People slate Arsene for seemingly settling for 4th every year, I think Liverpool will begin to understand how hard that actually was in a league riddled with Oil money and proper European fixtures against the Elite of the continent.

How patronising is this? It wasn't that long ago we were reaching champions league semi's and champions league finals all while not settling for fourth.

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #3050 on: February 25, 2014, 04:33:21 pm »
If we can stay focused on every single match, treat each one like a cup final, and get some players back to help keep energy levels up and to strengthen that defence, then anything is possible. Of course we'll need help, and it's a shame that Arsenal and City are both basically out of the CL, while Chelsea have a pretty easy round right now, but it could happen. I don't even know how I'd react :D I'm just not going to think about it, don't want to get my hopes up. With Liverpool visiting the US, I'm already psyched that I'll probably see the team in person for the first time!
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #3051 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »
Andy Gray's article about going for the Championship as 4th place is sewn up has it attractive qualities.  Most of the press has jumped onto this premature LFC story early in the same way.  However, I struggle with the marketing of this effort.  Here are some things to consider:

1) Liverpool could very well win the title this year
2) Liverpool have not clinched fourth place (nor will they for several weeks if things go perfectly)
3) Liverpool are playing three straight road matches to very difficult places to play (St. Marys, Old Trafford, & Cardiff)
4) The Sunderland fixture will now create a busy end of March (Sunderland & Tottenham at Anfield)
5) Still have some injuries which may affect our next two games

Now, I am optimist by nature, but it is clear that the Media is setting us up for fall.  I would love to pile on the bandwagon and say we are ready for a title challenge.  Absolutely love to.  But, in my mind, it is premature.  If we can gain 7 or 9 points in our next three, then we can say its on, but I am not sure we should get carried away yet. 

Tottenham, Everton, and the Mancs are mostly dead for the fourth spot, but as we know from the Princess Bride:

"Mostly dead is not all dead"  -  Miracleworker Max
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline hwieniawski

• Kopite
« Reply #3052 on: February 25, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
Andy Gray's article about going for the Championship as 4th place is sewn up has it attractive qualities.  Most of the press has jumped onto this premature LFC story early in the same way.  However, I struggle with the marketing of this effort.  Here are some things to consider:

1) Liverpool could very well win the title this year
2) Liverpool have not clinched fourth place (nor will they for several weeks if things go perfectly)
3) Liverpool are playing three straight road matches to very difficult places to play (St. Marys, Old Trafford, & Cardiff)
4) The Sunderland fixture will now create a busy end of March (Sunderland & Tottenham at Anfield)
5) Still have some injuries which may affect our next two games

Now, I am optimist by nature, but it is clear that the Media is setting us up for fall.  I would love to pile on the bandwagon and say we are ready for a title challenge.  Absolutely love to.  But, in my mind, it is premature.  If we can gain 7 or 9 points in our next three, then we can say its on, but I am not sure we should get carried away yet. 

Tottenham, Everton, and the Mancs are mostly dead for the fourth spot, but as we know from the Princess Bride:

"Mostly dead is not all dead"  -  Miracleworker Max

I agree with you on this. Those three matches will be very tough, especially with our god-awful defence. And we all know that our team tends to throw up the occasional disaster, so the key really is how the players can focus and take each match at a time. No Rodgers title talk either please. It's a cliché that we have "11 cup finals" ahead of us,  but that's the way we have to treat it if we're serious about having a chance to win the title. And it won't be easy at all
juve e liverpool amici per sempre

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3053 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:37 pm »
You must only be talking about Paisley and Fagan, because Shanks was forever talking Liverpool up and shouting the odds. Who was it that convinced press and fans alike that Liverpool would hammer Ajax 6-0 in the return leg? Or who handed out boxes of toilet rolls to the opposition as they arrived at Anfield? Or had a sign installed at the pitch entrance saying "This is Anfield", to remind the opposition of just who they were playing (as if they didn't know)?

Nobody is going overboard. It's called "being positive", and it's a natural result of being a part of something that is moving forward. Shankly called it "natural enthusiasm". For the first time in a small while, Liverpool fans are approaching the March fixtures with something to be "naturally enthusiastic" about in the league. We're not sitting at the kids table, looking enviously across at the grown-ups cavorting at the big table. We're part of that group now, and it's in our own hands to stay there for as long as possible. Nobody has said "we've won the league, we just have to play out the games". People are just being positive, excited, and enthusiastic about our chances. Shanks would almost certainly have approved of that.

Paisley / Moran / Fagan / Bennett / Saunders / Evans / Kenny ......Interpret the Liverpool way anyway you like mate or call it something different entirely ....all I'm saying is there'll be just as many - if not more - approaching the run-in cautiously / quietly confident and taking one game at a time - as there will be banging the drum and shouting it from the Internet treetops...and it has fuck all to do with cowards logic.......all that matters is that we're all dreaming of the same end to this season...there's more than one way to remove the fur off a feline
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3054 on: February 25, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
Paisley / Moran / Fagan / Bennett / Saunders / Evans / Kenny ......Interpret the Liverpool way anyway you like mate or call it something different entirely ....all I'm saying is there'll be just as many - if not more - approaching the run-in cautiously / quietly confident and taking one game at a time - as there will be banging the drum and shouting it from the Internet treetops...and it has fuck all to do with cowards logic.......all that matters is that we're all dreaming of the same end to this season...there's more than one way to remove the fur off a feline

I agree, but I think there's three types of people in the conversation, and you're referring to one, I'm referring to another, and Juan Loco was referring to the third set:

The people you are referring to (including yourself) - quietly confident, not too public on our chances, but not dismissing them either; supporting the team whether we win it or not, but naturally cautious about public pronouncements

The people I'm referring to (including me) - publicly confident of a challenge, happy to talk about one, won't be too disappointed if it doesn't come to fruition, but not reserved about talking up how good our team is on its day

The people Juan Loco is referring to (the "cowards logic" people) - people who don't want to talk about any chance of success, who will try to convince all and sundry that the woefully under-performing and under-managed United will win the Champions League thus depriving Liverpool of a CL place, or that Spurs will go on a magical run and kick us out of fourth spot, or that we will lose to all of our "bogey" teams and be scrambling for 4th or 5th on the last day of the season, etc. In other words, the people who don't dare to dream, no matter how they express it - and so consequently try to dampen everyone else's enthusiasm for the season by publicly displaying possible "What if" scenarios that show only negative outcomes for Liverpool.

I don't think the first two sets of people are at loggerheads, and I don't think they are who Juan was referring to. I think he's referring to the third set, who see no hope whatsoever, and want everyone to feel exactly the same. They are the same people in life who spoil the atmosphere at public gatherings - Debbie Downers, in other words. Playing the percentages game in life because it's the easiest way to go about things, and they want to make sure everyone else thinks like they do too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:39:22 pm by PhaseOfPlay »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3055 on: February 25, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »
I agree, but I think there's three types of people in the conversation, and you're referring to one, I'm referring to another, and Juan Loco was referring to the third set:

The people you are referring to (including yourself) - quietly confident, not too public on our chances, but not dismissing them either; supporting the team whether we win it or not, but naturally cautious about public pronouncements

The people I'm referring to (including me) - publicly confident of a challenge, happy to talk about one, won't be too disappointment if it doesn't come to fruition, but not reserved about talking up how good our team is on its day

The people Juan Loco is referring to (the "cowards logic" people) - people who don't want to talk about any chance of success, who will try to convince all and sundry that the woefully under-performing and under-managed United will win the Champions League thus depriving Liverpool of a CL place, or that Spurs will go on a magical run and kick us out of fourth spot, or that we will lose to all of our "bogey" teams and be scrambling for 4th or 5th on the last day of the season, etc. In other words, the people who don't dare to dream, no matter how they express it - and so consequently try to dampen everyone else's enthusiasm for the season by publicly displaying possible "What if" scenarios that show only negative outcomes for Liverpool.

I don't think the first two sets of people are at loggerheads, and I don't think they are who Juan was referring to. I think he's referring to the third set, who see no hope whatsoever, and want everyone to feel exactly the same. They are the same people in life who spoil the atmosphere at public gatherings - Debbie Downers, in other words. Playing the percentages game in life because it's the easiest way to go about things, and they want to make sure everyone else thinks like they do too.

Good response mate

cheers
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #3056 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »
Really in a way I think we already have. I mean sure it could all implode and we won't take a single point for the remainder of the season, but really, coming in, how many expected we'd have the best attack in the league and score 70 goals with 11 games to go? Who expected us to be 4 points off first and 6 points ahead of the next team below us? I figured we'd make top 4, sure, but "top 4" meaning fourth, and it was going to be a battle. Instead we're coasting right now.
Absolutely agree.

My biggest concern with all the positivity is that it becomes unreasonable expectation. Like when a large amount of our support blamed Rafa for not winning the league in 08-9 because we dropped the odd point, rather than giving him massive, massive credit for getting 86 points and going so close.

Brendan has done remarkable things this season. The fact we can have a realistic conversation about winning the title with 11 games to go is utterly incredible from where we were. We are way, way ahead of schedule. However, we all would've taken 4th in 2014-5, so regardless of how close we go this season, it will not represent failure, stagnation etc next. This season should not bring unfair pressure on Rodgers the way Istanbul brought unreasonable pressure on Rafa.

That's not negativity, I'm massively positive and believe we could win the title this season (I think we're 3rd favourites); just a note of realism about how far this squad has to go in its development to regularly compete with the very best, season in, season out whist playing in 2 big competitions.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #3057 on: February 25, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »
Three away games on the bounce, really time to dig in and show our mettle.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #3058 on: February 25, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »
i quote myself

"March will be the deciding Month"

Looks like it now hu?

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #3059 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:48 pm »
I'm starting to believe.
I think we can win every game we play, there is nothing to be afraid of. If we lose one we'll win the next five. 
We can win the whole fcuking thing, its right there for the taking , four points is nothing with the fixtures we have and the amount of 6 pointers other teams have plus CL commitments FA Cup etc.

We have got this close, why not push to win it a few years ahead of schedule

I'm so confident I think we could win the National if we had Sturridge and Sterling as the front and back end, and Luis on top.
Pick eight players to row the Boat race, and enter the London Marathon too! 

I wish they would bring back Superstars so Suarez could beat Kevin Keegan records! 

This is it boys, the business end of the season, and we are in with a shout for the first time in a few years - enjoy it!

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #3060 on: February 25, 2014, 05:33:06 pm »
That Juan Loco post - Wow. Spot on.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3061 on: February 25, 2014, 05:35:26 pm »
Whats the longest winning streak we've had under Brendan in the league. Is it 3 or 4 games? I ask this because we have just won 3 in a row.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

The people I'm referring to (including me) - publicly confident of a challenge, happy to talk about one, won't be too disappointment if it doesn't come to fruition, but not reserved about talking up how good our team is on its day

I know it is a lot to quote but I couldn't help myself.

That is a fantastic summary and spot on.

Offline NGreat

• Kopite
« Reply #3063 on: February 25, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »
Whats the longest winning streak we've had under Brendan in the league. Is it 3 or 4 games? I ask this because we have just won 3 in a row.
4: Norwich, West Ham, Tottenham, and Cardiff in December of last year.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #3064 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:05 pm »

What a great time to better that streak.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3065 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »
If we win our next three games we will win the league.

No doubt about that for me.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #3066 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »

The people I'm referring to (including me) - publicly confident of a challenge, happy to talk about one, won't be too disappointed if it doesn't come to fruition, but not reserved about talking up how good our team is on its day

Brilliance!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: February 25, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »
What a great time to better that streak.

Indeed. That's the next step for this team of ours. To be able to put together an 8, 9, 10 etc... Winning streak. What better time to achieve it then in these last 11 games of this season.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: February 25, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »
Cardiff is a hard place to play in the same way that Hull is a nice place to visit.

They're the worst team in the league.

Offline LFC-Georgia

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3069 on: February 25, 2014, 05:51:43 pm »
2008/09     

P   W   D   L   GF   GA   GD   PTS
3 Liverpool     27    15   10   2   43   20   23   55     

now..

4 Liverpool   27   17   5   5   70   35   35   56

finish in 2008/09
2 Liverpool   38   25   11   2   77   27   50   86

;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:58:27 pm by LFC-Georgia »

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #3070 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:32 pm »
Juan Loco's post is a belter.  Definitely got me believing.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

That's an absolutely fantastic post Juan. Has me believing a bit more.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: February 25, 2014, 06:13:31 pm »
Oh if only Arsenal, City and Chelsea got 10 points out of their next 5 games while we got 13 or even 15 out of our next 5 games..... How wonderful that would be.   ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3073 on: February 25, 2014, 06:15:14 pm »
I know it's a dream at the moment, but winning the league the season Ferguson steps down would be the greatest thing to happen since toast.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: February 25, 2014, 06:26:03 pm »

We had four in a row back in December, that ended with City.

Personally my gut at the moment is saying we'll draw Southampton but I think both United and Cardiff are very beatable. Three on the road is never fun and our away form this year is a little bit disconcerting, but that doesn't mean we can't do it. We just have to knuckle down. Shit, for all I care, we can win all three in the way we won Fulham and Swansea. The winning is the important thing. Performances can be worried about after.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3075 on: February 25, 2014, 06:32:25 pm »
I know it's a dream at the moment, but winning the league the season Ferguson steps down would be the greatest thing to happen since toast.

Could well finish the old git off.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3076 on: February 25, 2014, 06:39:57 pm »
2008/09     

3 Liverpool     27    5   10   2   43   20   23   55     

now..

4 Liverpool   27   17   5   5   70   35   35   56

finish in 2008/09
2 Liverpool   38   25   11   2   77   27   50   86

;)

In 2008 with 11 games to go Liverpool got 10 wins and 1 draw. Fucking heck! That is phenomenal.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:19:16 pm by spider-neil »

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:35 pm »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

Offline greebo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3078 on: February 25, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
LET'S BE HAVING YOU!!!

My Delia moment.

I thank you!!

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #3079 on: February 25, 2014, 07:29:03 pm »
Just out of interest, how many people posting 'it's on', 'believe', 'it's ours to lose' etc etc...have actually seen us win the title?

I saw us win titles between 77 and 90 but that was a different era.  Different things are needed to win it these days.

There's the old arguement "defences or Attacks - which win you titles?"  Hard to say really.

We have the top 2 scorers in the league atm ... 23 and 18 PL goals.  We have scored the most goals too.  The team at the top on Christmas day wins it blah blah ...... But that doesnt always indicate what will eventually happen in the end.

That unwanted record of ours of being the only side to only lose 2 games and NOT win the title still rankles with me.  We turn just 2 of those 11 damn draws into wins and 2009 would have been ours.

At least this time we are going all out to win games no matter what.  Something that I might add them down the road did for 20 years and won a few titles by doing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:31:42 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate