Author Topic: Match Preview: Crystal Palace vs Liverpool - Sunday March 6th Ko 1.30pm  (Read 26738 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night

Our matches with this lot tend to go from one extreme to the other. One game we tear them a new arse, then next they beat us. Palace annoys us more than a dose of the shits, and they have proven to be a big pain in the arse for many years for many reasons.

They have every reason to want to stick it to us, given that the most memorable meeting most will remember would be a midweek match in 1989 held on a balmy Tuesday evening, having been promoted for the first time for the best part of a decade, Palace were  well and truly battered by Liverpool 9 goals to nil. 8 different scorers including John Aldridge who played his last game for the club that night, Aldridge famously threw his jersey into the Kop at the end of the game.

All Time Head 2 Head

It was quite remarkable that several months later Palace would overturn Liverpool in an FA Cup Semi Final, Liverpool were firm favourites to win a league and FA cup double but wilted in the face of London Bombings that came in the shape of set pieces and balls pumped into the box that our defence couldn’t deal with, not much has changed then. Liverpool twice lead the match which ended up in extra time but the current Palace manager Alan Pardew settled a dramatic tie with the winner in a 4-3 thriller.

Palace did a surprise double over us in the 1991-2 season and in the first season of Premier league football we decided we would dish out another savage beating, Liverpool were under the stewardship of Graeme Souness, it wasn’t all sunshine and roses believe me but one late November weekend gave a glimpse into how things were supposed to be under our former captain, the return from injury of John Barnes blended well with a very youthful Liverpool side on the day that ran out 5-0 winners, the pick of the bunch came with a 35 yard screamer from Mike Marsh, but just a few days later Palace showed just what a thorn in our side they could be.

Recent Meetings

Marsh was again on the scoresheet but this time it was only good enough to take the game to a replay in a league cup tie with the match ending 1-1. Palace would go on to win the replay 2-1 only two weeks after their 5-0 drubbing, a thorn in our side? Well ironically enough the winning goal was scored by Andy Thorn. 

It would be a while before they got one over us again, having been relegated the same season (1992-3) Palace would return after one season out of the top flight but would end up going down again, not helped by Liverpool trouncing the Londoners 6-1 on the opening day of the season, for good measure Liverpool’s league cup success that year saw us win both semi-final legs against Palace when the two sides met again.

The next notable fixtures came in another successful league cup campaign in 2001, again it was one extreme to the other, with Michael Owen missing several chances Palace won the first leg 2-1 with striker Clinton Morrison gloating in the press after about his goal and what he would have done if presented with Owen’s missed chances, all that came back to haunt him in the second leg, where Palace lost 5-0!

Premiership Form Guide

But to continue the theme, Palace would gain revenge in years to come, an FA cup win at Anfield in 2003 was followed by a league cup success over us in 2005, it would be nearly 8 years before Palace came near us again and during the 2013/4 season Liverpool went top of the table after both matches against Palace but the circumstances were very much different.

The first fixture at Anfield saw Liverpool out of sight by half time with goals from Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard which resulted in a 3-1 win, but although Palace didn’t defeat us in the return game, the draw they achieved that night was one of the most costly in our history.

Liverpool went into the night level on points with Man City at the top of the league but with each team having just two matches left, however City’s goal difference was 9 better off than Liverpool’s, having scored almost 100 league goals already that season Liverpool knew a big haul was needed if they were to have any chance of nullifying City’s advantage. Liverpool threw caution to the wind and found themselves 3-0 up inside the hour mark, it could have been double. Desperate to make up the goal difference Liverpool went for broke and proceeded to lose it all. The score remained 3-0 with 11 minutes remaining but from there a wickedly deflected shot from Damien Delaney turned the tide and two further goals from substitute Dwight Gayle meant the game ended 3-3. Although Liverpool would point to the defeat to Chelsea prior to this as the day the tide turned against them in the title race there is no doubt that this was the final nail in the coffin and any chance Liverpool had of winning the league was realistically gone on that fateful Monday night.

Palace have continued to haunt us ever since, the same fixture the following season saw them win 3-1, and just for badness they ruined the last home game of Steven Gerrard’s Liverpool career, the Liverpool captain got an emotional send-off but Palace spoiled the party by coming from behind to win 3-1 again although to be fair Liverpool’s display didn’t warrant one point never mind three.

Palace’s winning streak was raised to 3 earlier in the season, shortly into Jurgen Klopp’s reign, Yannick Bolasie, a constant menace in our most recent games with Palace, scored the opener and though Philippe Coutinho equalized, Palace won the match thanks to a late goal from boyhood Liverpool fan Scott Dann.

Current Injuries

This means going into this game, Liverpool have won only three out of the last 11 matches with this lot, although Palace’s recent form has been quite alarming. The Londoners started the season well, climbing as high as 2nd in the league and hovering around the top 6 in the first half of the season but since Christmas, Palace have not won any of their 11 league games and have lost 4 in a row at Selhurst Park, whilst on Tuesday they were denied their first win of the year in the league when former red Fabio Borini equalised in a 2-2 draw at Sunderland.

Ones to watch:
Connor Wickham: 4 goals in his last 2 games

Emmanuel Adebayor: recent signing with just one goal so far but has scored against us in the past for both Arsenal and Spurs.

Yannick Bolasie: pace has troubled us in recent seasons, perhaps no coincidence his recent injury coincided with his teams loss of form

Martin Kelly: former right back with a point to prove against us, recently returned from injury with a goal at Spurs

Scott Dann: joint highest league scorer for them despite being a centre back, will cause aerial problems, match winner at Anfield.

Liverpool will see this as a poisonous fixture but given the form guide there will never be a better time to play Palace, Liverpool’s win over Man City not only saw them recover well after losing the league cup final to the same team but it gave Jurgen Klopp some food for thought in terms of team selection. Daniel Sturridge and Phillipe Coutinho are likely to return but the trio of Roberto Firmino, Adam Lallana and James Milner won’t make that an easy decision, all 3 registered a goal and assist on Wednesday. The result also lifted Liverpool to within 6 points of the top 4.

Liverpool’s injury crisis is starting to lighten up, Martin Skrtel was an unused sub on Wednesday, but may have to bide his time after Kolo Toure and the returning Dejan Lovren helped Liverpool to a clean sheet against City whilst Jon Flanagan should get the nod over Alberto Moreno with perhaps the only question there is which side will they line up on given Clyne operated at left back and Flanagan right back against Man City.

Given the fillip of the Man City win on Wednesday maybe it’s time we dished out one of them beatings to Palace again, lord knows it’s been a while.

Boom!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wB94Z4Ke3e4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wB94Z4Ke3e4?fs=1</a>
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
We should win this at a stroll.

So I'm predicting a 1-0 loss and a scrappy game :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Please beat these. I'd love nothing more then to see Klopp hold his hand up right in front of Pardews face. Smug twat.

It would also be nice to see them in a relegation scrap too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Nice write up, thanks.

Klopp has some interesting decisions to make for this game regarding Sakho, Toure, Moreno, Coutinho, Origi and Sturridge. Good problems to have..
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Boom!
Great write up that HR, appreciate that, I especially liked the pictures ::) ;) ;D 8) :wave

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
I want to see a Liverpool team annihilate a Pardew team in my lifetime.

So there.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!

A snide, niggley team just like their manager.

i REALLY WANT US TO STICK IT TO THIS BUNCH OF MUPPETS.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
It's weird seeing so many fans so desperate to beat Palace, such is the hold they have over us.

A win here would be immensely satisfying. Going to be very hard though.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great write up Hellrazor, a really good read!

For the game just win, that's all that matters- don't care how. These are our bogey team the last few seasons, and it worries me that they have been shite recently but will turn up and do a number on us again. If we play with the same intensity as vs City we should have enough if we take our chances.

I think we have to look at playing the same team that started last night- maybe a change of Sakho/ Lucas in for Toure if he is struggling to play twice in the time period and they have recovered. It will be a strong bench with Coutinho and Sturridge fresh to come on in the second half as the game opens up, hopefully we can get an early goal and play on the counter against them. 

A lot of the teams above us have difficult fixtures too this weekend, with West Ham at Everton, Chelsea vs Stoke, Arsenal vs Tottenham and United with a tough match at West Brom. Its a real chance to make up some ground and get momentum going for some important games coming up.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I want to see a Liverpool team annihilate a Pardew team in my lifetime.

So there.

Wasn;t he in charge when we beat newcastle away? Few years ago under Rodgers, Coutinho and Sturridge were great that day.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Wasn;t he in charge when we beat newcastle away? Few years ago under Rodgers, Coutinho and Sturridge were great that day.
Also he was in charge in 2006 when West Ham came within seconds of winning the FA Cup only for Gerrard to scuff that shot in. More heartbreaking than a hammering I bet.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
We'll fucking have these on sunday.

The 3-4 in 1990 & their shitty arsed spitting & horrible little twats mouthing offf across the segregation fences in the holte end still pisses me off today.

4-1 to the redmen & watch pardew wince.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
I cant abide them and especially not that mutant Alan Pardew.

For the last few seasons I have nothing but bad memories of that team, I want us to demolish them more than anything.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
Thanks for the writeup.

Crystal fucking Palace then. The bane of our existence for the last couple of seasons. They've been in terrible form recently, haven't won in 11 matches but they're always up for it when we're in town. Let's hope the City performance has given us some much needed confidence and we can register back to back wins, our league campaign isn't dead and buried yet especially with teams dropping points left, right and centre.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice write up HR.. Time for Yanick Messi and Wilfred Ronaldo to step forward, I mean that's how recent meetings have panned out. Time for a change, play with the same desire and commitment and we can win. Again we find ourselves within touching distance of fourth place, long shot yes, but I hope we fight till the end and not go out with a whimper. Studge and Phil rested and ready to return, Lallana to keep his place I hope. Just hope Sturridge leads the line and looks to run in behind rather than drop off into a area that Phil, Bob and Lallana like to occupy. Come on you reds!
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Can't stand Palace, for obvious reasons. Hope we dick them.

Offline fingermouse

• Legacy Fan
As the boss says, there's no time to be tired at this stage of the season but I'm sure he'll carefully manage the squad from here on in, with one eye on the Europa. Maybe start with skrtel instead of kolo and I think its still too soon to be starting Flanno every week. It'll be a tough game for our fullbacks whoever starts. The press might not be so evident vs palace as they're probably happy to sit in and try to hit us on the break. I guess we'll see if we really have turned a corner in terms of defending set plays against this lot. Just want to wipe that stupid smirk off Pardews grid.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Will be interesting who starts the match.  Lallana has probably played himself into the starting 11 after that performance against City and Firmino came off early so you'd assume he'll be in.  Might go with Firmino up top with Milner, Coutinho and Lallana behind and have Sturridge and Origi available off the bench.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Still fuming at the 4-3.
Want us to smash these every time we play them.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
Will be interesting who starts the match.  Lallana has probably played himself into the starting 11 after that performance against City and Firmino came off early so you'd assume he'll be in.  Might go with Firmino up top with Milner, Coutinho and Lallana behind and have Sturridge and Origi available off the bench.
Not a bad shout at all, Firmino does seem to be very productive up top thus far. Bring Sturridge and Origi on against tired legs and we should be comfortable.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
We'll win this. They struggle at home and we should have beaten them at home too.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
I fucking hate them and Pardew. They haven't won a game in 11 matches, hope to God they don't turn the corner against us.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Not the game for Full Backs to be caught 50 yards up the pitch after possession has been surrendered cheaply. Same defence as last night? Questions up front and midfield but nice to have options.

Beat them, we owe them badly and important to keep that momentum going.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've had a bad record going there in previous years. Can even remember back to 2005 when they got relegated, and we still lost 1-0 a few weeks before the end of the season (albeit we were playing a weakened team for obvious other reasons).

Hope we beat them

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
We've had a bad record going there in previous years. Can even remember back to 2005 when they got relegated, and we still lost 1-0 a few weeks before the end of the season (albeit we were playing a weakened team for obvious other reasons).

Hope we beat them

Before that I remember losing to them around Christmas time in Kenny's first stint.

Sublime or ridiculous against this lot with barely any middle ground. Let's hope for one of our away spectaculars on Sunday.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This will be my first away game. Can't wait for it. Hopefully we can smash the fuckers. We owe them one.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
If the players have come through yesterday unscathed and feel they have the legs for Sunday Klopp might opt for an unchanged side bar Sturridge coming in for Firmino but I suspect a couple might struggle given the short turn around on top of the 120mins played on Sunday.
I suspect that Cafu will be rested/put back in the cotton wool box and we'll see Moreno come back in. I don't want to play scapegoats so I'll simply say that if Cafu isn't risked I'd prefer Smith to come in.
Give his advancing years :lickin, I think we might see Toure back to the bench and one of Lucas or Sakho coming into the back four, which one will be very much dependant on who's the fitter, I suspect Lucas.
Can, Henderson and Milner ran their fucking socks off, surely all three can't do it again can they? Maybe Klopp will fancy a tactical switch here?
I suspect....

--------------------Mignolet

Clyne---------Lucas---------Lovren-------Moreno

------------Henderson---------Can

Sturridge--------Lallana-------------Phil

----------------------Origi

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Where's caulker lately?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Where's caulker lately?

Had completely forgotten we had him. :D

Last night was out first League game in a while, cup tied in the League Cup, is he out of Europe too? Or has he just had an injury?

Or now Origi and Sturridge for again are his chances now restricted?!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hope we fucking batter them!

Absolutely detest Pardew.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity

The 3-4 in 1990 & their shitty arsed spitting & horrible little twats mouthing offf across the segregation fences in the holte end still pisses me off today.

Still fuming at the 4-3.
Want us to smash these every time we play them.

Agree wholly with these 2 posts. That game still rankles with me nearly 30 years after it happened. In parallel universe  we win that game and the course of English football is a lot different over the last 26 years.

In this universe, let us just win on Sunday and get some momentum going for the last 3rd of the season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Need to start compounding good results with good results

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Need to start compounding good results with good results

9-0 for our last two League Games is a decent start!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
9-0 for our last two League Games is a decent start!
Let's ignore what happened in between :P

The form Palace are in, this match probably rests on to what extent we turn up. Bolasie is back though, and he transforms the way they play.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

The form Palace are in, this match probably rests on to what extent we turn up. Bolasie is back though, and he transforms the way they play.

Wickham is a big strong lad and scored four in his last two as well.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals

That's just fucking typical. Best get Flanno to do a job on him in the first minute.

Offline Alanslad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Great O/P

I dislike Pardew as much as I dislike Fat Sam, lets twat these twats. A repeat of the performance v City is definitely needed here

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
These f##kers  are deserving some payback.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Hate, hate, hate playing Palace. Hope we can finally put an end to the horrible hold they've had over us recently.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
2014 is all I'll ever remember when it comes to Palace. Suarez in tears and Stevie giving him a hug. I'd love a repeat of Wednesdays performance, Palace are due a smashing from us.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close