Author Topic: Cookies and Tracking Cookies  (Read 575 times)

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
Cookies and Tracking Cookies
« on: January 4, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »
I'm not really a computer knowledgeable kjnda guy so can someone explain to me in plain terms what 'Cookies' and 'Tracking Cookies' are? Are the the same thing?

Thanks.  :wave
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cookies and Tracking Cookies
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2013, 10:54:02 pm »
A cookie is a small bit of data that a website can ask your web browser to store.

Next time you visit that website, the data in the cookie is sent back to the website.

A tracking cookie in a cookie where the information is a unique number that is given to you. It is usually given by advertisers.

This lets them tell things like "A user who saw our advert on example.com 20 times last week, and clicked on one of them, has just seen an advert on example.net".

This lets them select adverts to show you based on what they know about you. i.e. adverts that are more likely to interest you.

Some people consider this useful, other people consider it an invasion of their privacy.

I would just ignore them, if you want to block them then go to a search engine and use the phrase:

block third party cookies

cut and paste.....as if i could explain things as well as that.
just block em.

unless you need them
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
Re: Cookies and Tracking Cookies
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »
Cheers for the reply :wave
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.