Author Topic: 12 Extremely disappointing facts about popular music  (Read 4290 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: 12 Extremely disappointing facts about popular music
« Reply #40 on: December 9, 2011, 02:22:11 am »
Alter Bridge is no Creed trust me, better music and better vocalist (Slash thinks he's the best in the biz right now). AB III was one of the best albums released in 2010.
I like slash as a person, seems like a good fella, as for his music, again not for me. We have very different tastes in music, we'll leave it at that.

You'll grow out of it mate, it doesn't really matter. There's plenty of great music being made today, just like it was in the past you have to scratch the surface a bit.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 9, 2011, 02:39:33 am »
I like slash as a person, seems like a good fella, as for his music, again not for me. We have very different tastes in music, we'll leave it at that.
FYI, Alter Bridge's music is way different from Slash, again a tip from me, if you like Rock music, just listen to their AB III album and tell me whether you liked it or not.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #42 on: December 9, 2011, 08:52:52 am »
Even though I'm 21, I believe all modern music is shite. My iPod is full of 70's and 80's music simply because it's so much better. I'm not into any of this modern dance crap, Rap, R&B etc either.

Makes me sick seeing these teenage girls going crazy over one direction, justin beiber or some shite like that.

That list makes depressing reading
Missing out on the best of the 60's and 90's is a shame as well.

As has been mentioned many times already, its what endures that means something.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #43 on: December 9, 2011, 11:45:13 am »
FYI, Alter Bridge's music is way different from Slash, again a tip from me, if you like Rock music, just listen to their AB III album and tell me whether you liked it or not.
Jesus Christ you're persistent! You most pull some fit birds.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 9, 2011, 11:46:58 am »
Jesus Christ you're persistent! You most pull some fit birds.
I'm the bestest ;D
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 9, 2011, 11:58:49 am »
There's plenty of good modern music about, you just have to find it  ;)
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 9, 2011, 01:16:10 pm »
There's plenty of good modern music about, you just have to find it  ;)

Exactly.  Loads of cracking bands making some cracking music about. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #47 on: December 9, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »
This means nothing to me.

Ahhh.... Vienna
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #48 on: December 9, 2011, 01:41:14 pm »
Not especially depressing. As others have pointed out there has always been crap in the singles charts. The album, Bridge Over Troubled Water spent years in the album charts - who gives a fuck how it did as a single?

Here's a few gems that topped the charts in the 70s:

Wandrin' Star - Lee Marvin
All Kinds of Everything - Dana
Back Home - England Wold Cup Squad
Yellow River - Christie
Grandad - Clive Dunn
Knock Three Times - Tony Orlando and Dawn
Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle of the Road
Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West) - Benny Hill
I'd Like to Teach The World To Sing - The New Seekers
Son of My Father - Chicory Tip
Amazing Grace - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
Puppy Love - Donny Osmond
How Can I Be Sure - David Cassidy
Mouldy Old Dough - Lieutenant Pigeon
Clair - Gilbert O'Sullivan
Long Haired Lover from Liverpool - Jimmy Osmond...

And that's just the first three years of the decade.

The singles charts have always represented the lowest common denominator. Over in the album charts at the same time these were the records topping the charts:

Bridge Over Troubled Water (A total of 33 weeks at number 1 in 1970 and 1971)
Let It Be - The Beatles
Led Zeppelin II
Self Portrait - Bob Dylan
A Question of Balance - The Moody Blues
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin III
New Morning - Bob Dylan
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - The Moody Blues
Who's Next - The Who
Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
Imagine - John Lennon
Harvest - Neil Young
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #49 on: December 9, 2011, 01:47:06 pm »
And there isn't even any Stevie, Marvin Gaye our Boss in that list, never mind The Clash our Bob Marley.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 9, 2011, 01:57:09 pm »
The Clash never had a number one until the bloody Levi jeans advert, chart positions mean fuck all at the end of the day.

As long as you like what you are listening to, does anything else really matter?

Offline Nut/ella

• do!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 9, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »
Who the fuck is Kesha?  :o

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #52 on: December 9, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »
Not especially depressing. As others have pointed out there has always been crap in the singles charts. The album, Bridge Over Troubled Water spent years in the album charts - who gives a fuck how it did as a single?

Here's a few gems that topped the charts in the 70s:

Wandrin' Star - Lee Marvin
All Kinds of Everything - Dana
Back Home - England Wold Cup Squad
Yellow River - Christie
Grandad - Clive Dunn
Knock Three Times - Tony Orlando and Dawn
Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle of the Road
Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West) - Benny Hill
I'd Like to Teach The World To Sing - The New Seekers
Son of My Father - Chicory Tip
Amazing Grace - Royal Scots Dragoon Guards
Puppy Love - Donny Osmond
How Can I Be Sure - David Cassidy
Mouldy Old Dough - Lieutenant Pigeon
Clair - Gilbert O'Sullivan
Long Haired Lover from Liverpool - Jimmy Osmond...

And that's just the first three years of the decade.

Definitely.

Last summer out of curiosity, I listened to music for a few days that had either topped or been a giant hit on the UK charts during the Seventies. As well as the stuff you've mentioned, there was also plenty of saccharine crap that I came across like this...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/43-n0fSafMo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/43-n0fSafMo</a>

and this released a month before London Calling...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1PZFaRYmzn8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1PZFaRYmzn8</a>

and this...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rsXJcIODLtQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rsXJcIODLtQ</a>

*shudder*

To put it into perspective at either end of the spectrum, the latter was #1 the same year The Jam had two #1 singles (Going Underground/Start!), Blondie hit #1 three times (Atomic, Call Me, Tide is High) and David Bowie got his first #1 (Ashes to Ashes).

The Clash never had a number one until the bloody Levi jeans advert, chart positions mean fuck all at the end of the day.

As long as you like what you are listening to, does anything else really matter?

Indeed. Loads of great artists never had a number 1. I find the UK singles charts in particular are magnets for novelty tracks and fads.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: December 9, 2011, 05:44:58 pm »
Alter Bridge is no Creed trust me, better music and better vocalist (Slash thinks he's the best in the biz right now). AB III was one of the best albums released in 2010.
Indeed, saw them at Wembley Arena last week, they were awesome
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.