Author Topic: Rogue One - 2 Siths, 1 Saber  (Read 30041 times)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rogue One spoiler friendly discussion
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2016, 09:21:29 pm »
Presumably he climbs a ladder of some sort.  If it was good enough for the Titanic it's good enough for Yavin 4.

Plus, did anybody notice how the planet Vader is on is the only one that doesn't get a namecheck?  Presumably it's Mustafar, but we don't actually know for certain.

I listened to the empire magazine spoiler podcast (they released it too soon and have pulled it now) and they said it was Mustafar.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »
It was mustafar. They didn't show it on the screen because they didn't want to giveaway who was there.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2016, 09:27:54 pm »
I mean, if I could live just about anywhere in the galaxy, it would definitely be on the planet I'd lost three limbs and got burnt to a crisp.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2016, 09:29:40 pm »
It was mustafar. They didn't show it on the screen because they didn't want to giveaway who was there.

Not sure if I'd want to live in the place I lost an arm and two legs, got burnt pretty badly, and murdered my wife and unborn child.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »
Not sure if I'd want to live in the place I lost an arm and two legs, got burnt pretty badly, and murdered my wife and unborn child.

Apparently the Emp told him to live there. Something about focusing his hate.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
But how does he actually get into that crow's nest thingy in the first place? That's what I've always wondered.
Reckon is descends like the viewing platforms for the pod racing in episode 1

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was Mustafar, and that Vader was there to focus his hate.  But we knew he was in the film so imo it would just have built the anticipation of his introduction.  Compared to the bombshell of seeing Tarkin, Vader becomes a very satisfying bonus.

I've said this before, but coming out from seeing Force Awakens I was so disappointed.  I really wanted to want to see it again, but there just wasn't enough there for me to go back.  With Rogue One though, I'm desperate to see it again.  I've already seen it in IMAX 3D now, so I'm quite happy to go for the cheap seats!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »
What are the odds Kylo Ren ends up visiting it in Episode 8 or 9?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »

small.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2016, 10:06:32 pm »

He's clearly already been to Endor so he's probably already been to Mustafar as well.  Emo wannabe that he is.... :P

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2016, 10:40:12 pm »
I didn't miss the opening crawl but I actually think they should've also removed 'a long time ago...' at the beginning, and not played the original music at the end, just so that it was a completely distinct film. Anyway that's nitpicking.

On the subject of the music, it's actually pretty good. When I saw TFA the first time, the music didn't stand out because I was trying to take everything in, but after a few listens to the soundtrack it's actually superb. It's similar with R1 - although it's not quite up there with a John Williams soundtrack, it's not bad at all. A few tracks here:

Jyn's Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

Krennic's / Imperial music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C2wCcuKmLI

The Jedha ambush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHz1i6CPGHM

The music from the Vader scene at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEzKRngCyY

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2016, 09:12:19 am »
Considering the guy had barely a month to compose the score I think it's a job well done.

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2016, 09:45:15 am »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2016, 02:36:34 pm »
I didn't miss the opening crawl but I actually think they should've also removed 'a long time ago...' at the beginning, and not played the original music at the end, just so that it was a completely distinct film. Anyway that's nitpicking.

On the subject of the music, it's actually pretty good. When I saw TFA the first time, the music didn't stand out because I was trying to take everything in, but after a few listens to the soundtrack it's actually superb. It's similar with R1 - although it's not quite up there with a John Williams soundtrack, it's not bad at all. A few tracks here:

Jyn's Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

Krennic's / Imperial music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C2wCcuKmLI

The Jedha ambush:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHz1i6CPGHM

The music from the Vader scene at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEzKRngCyY

Said at the time, and am surprised at the reaction since, but I actually thought the score was very good. Felt like it was keeping in theme with the main films, but set itself aside. For what its worth, I probably enjoyed the score more than TFA's, which for me at least was a little too subtle and the only really memorable parts were when it was bringing in the main force theme again, like the scene in the snow with Rey.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
He's clearly already been to Endor so he's probably already been to Mustafar as well.  Emo wannabe that he is.... :P

what makes you think he's been to endor? the helmet?

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »

a pretty cool video of Alan Tudyk working on the real-time motion capture process for K2S0:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAjvIIkB8I

and a video on the CGI Tarkin and Leia:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-KJGLRmt0w

and a video on the additions to the Star Wars 'timeline' and how it verges with Star Wars (1977):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJESi00NL0

a new featurette - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story "Locations" Featurette

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzY8Mi4G04g?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yzY8Mi4G04g?fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:01:45 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:54 pm »
what makes you think he's been to endor? the helmet?

I can't remember where I read it - might have been on here actually  ;D - but it was something about the Director saying yes, Vader's helmet, but also that the tray Kylo Ren puts his helmet in when first confronting Rey in the interrogation chamber is full of Vader's ashes.

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2016, 10:48:43 pm »
“The backstory is, that that table has the ashes of the enemies he’s killed,” Abrams says.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:40 pm »
“The backstory is, that that table has the ashes of the enemies he’s killed,” Abrams says.

So he had somebody drag Max Von Sydow's body onto his shuttle with the express purpose of cremating him and dumping his remains in that tray?  ???

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2016, 10:54:34 pm »
So he had somebody drag Max Von Sydow's body onto his shuttle with the express purpose of cremating him and dumping his remains in that tray?  ???

That wasn't exactly his first ever kill.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2016, 11:05:08 pm »
That wasn't exactly his first ever kill.

Well you said "enemies".  Plus the quote implies it's an ongoing thing, not just his early kills. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2016, 11:08:25 pm »
If you want to over analyse it to that point then fine.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2016, 11:21:11 pm »
Saw it earlier. It was shite.

Bored the balls clean off me for the better part of 2 hours, and when the action kicked in at the end, it just felt like "Oh, I've seen this before!"

I'm also a big advocate of CGI work in films when it's done right, but fuck me, they made Peter Cushing into a cartoon in this. Horrible stuff. Pulls you right out of the film. Shame, because some of the other visuals in the film were very well done, but that's all the complement I can give it: it was well done. I won't be back for more.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2016, 01:06:49 am »
Basically this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kc2kFk5M9x4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kc2kFk5M9x4</a>

Except the Darth Vader going apeshit scene was amazing, and I believe the scope of the Universe is much bigger if anyone is brave enough to take it on. Not much evidence of that two movies in though.
:D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2016, 11:29:04 am »
If you want to over analyse it to that point then fine.

Easy does it mate, it's Christmas!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2016, 03:05:08 pm »
Great movie, even if some characters were underdeveloped.

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »
Does it dovetail into ANH as perfectly as people said though? Vader chases the Tantive IV, boards it and says to Leia 'several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies...'.

But they weren't. They were handed through the door. Plus the whole denial of Leia and Captain Antilles seems slightly off to me now, Vader literally just saw them blast away!

Unless you could arguably say that Leia didn't know Vader had just seen their ship blast away so thus denies anything and says they are on a diplomatic mission.

I suppose it works, but to me NOW Vader would be like 'I JUST saw you blast away with the plans so don't deny it love'.

😊

The whole 'character development' criticism I don't get. Cassian and Jyn get it, as for everyone else, how much do you know about any of the characters either side of Tom Hanks and Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan? Nothing. Its not a criticism for me and Baze and Chirutt etc. Nothing wrong with and character development in this movie at all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:20:34 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2016, 04:12:42 pm »
SPR is a great example of a good movie with good characters that didn't need sequels and prequels to make them interesting, yes.

How much do you know about each character though? Not a lot. If development is gaining an insight into their motivations then it's only really Baze that gets none. Chirrut, Cassian, Jyn all get that.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2016, 04:31:04 pm »
Does it dovetail into ANH as perfectly as people said though? Vader chases the Tantive IV, boards it and says to Leia 'several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies...'.

But they weren't. They were handed through the door. Plus the whole denial of Leia and Captain Antilles seems slightly off to me now, Vader literally just saw them blast away!

Unless you could arguably say that Leia didn't know Vader had just seen their ship blast away so thus denies anything and says they are on a diplomatic mission.

I suppose it works, but to me NOW Vader would be like 'I JUST saw you blast away with the plans so don't deny it love'.

😊

The whole 'character development' criticism I don't get. Cassian and Jyn get it, as for everyone else, how much do you know about any of the characters either side of Tom Hanks and Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan? Nothing. Its not a criticism for me and Baze and Chirutt etc. Nothing wrong with and character development in this movie at all.
Well, we don't know how long it is between Vader seeing them blast off and catching them, although I agree it's likely to be hours at most. There are two ways I rationalise Antilles saying they're on a diplomatic mission. One, he's hoping that Vader didn't see them. Or two, he's essentially the bloke who gets pulled over for drinking driving, but is denying he's drunk anything as he vomits on the coppers shoes.

But yes, it's fairly shoe-horned in there!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2016, 04:43:06 pm »
Denying they're rebels is obvious, you dont just come out and admit it. The plans were beamed aboard a ship, obviously Vader doesnt have a log of exactly where it went and if it was downloaded to a disk or anything.

His reaction is actually more believable to me now, "you are part of the Rebel alliance and a traitor! Take her away!" He knows its not on a diplomatic mission because he just saw them flee a battle.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »
It's not about underdevelopment of characters. It's just that the characters were boring. They lacked any kind of trait that made them either likeable or watchable. The Chinese guy with the staff had potential when he first showed up, but he quickly became very annoying with his - for some strange reason - attempt at levity throughout. Forest Whitaker  was horrendous as always. Pointless character, and atrocious acting by him. Honestly, I was rooting for them all to die. I got my wish in the end.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »
Basically this.

Except the Darth Vader going apeshit scene was amazing, and I believe the scope of the Universe is much bigger if anyone is brave enough to take it on. Not much evidence of that two movies in though.
I watched part of this review before seeing the film, making sure to skip the spoilers. I normally do agree with RLM with their opinions, so to hear them pan it, it came as a bit of a surprise, because from what I was seeing in trailers, the film looked like it would be my cup of tea with it's more serious tone. I was thinking "they've got this wrong" and hoping they had. It wasn't like I went in with a preconceived notion of what to expect. Unfortunately, though, as usual, they hit the nail on the head. That review is exactly the impression I took coming out of the cinema. When you find yourself openly talking and joking about certain parts of a film in the middle of a cinema to keep yourself entertained, and then wondering how long left there is to go...not a good sign. It never is.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »
Each to their own I suppose.  I was absolutely riveted for the entire movie.  I found the characters engaging; at no point did I feel the film was sagging or lacked punch.  It was entertaining, it was traumatic.  That scene where Cassian is manipulating the grabbers to search for the plans I could feel the skin crawling up the back of my neck.  Even though I KNEW they would find them I was still thinking to myself, "the stormtroopers could be through that fecking door any second".

I knew far in advance what the cost of this mission would be, but I was still captivated by it.  I suspended my disbelief and I can't wait to see it again.

I mean Vader... fucking Vader at the end.  The most badass, exciting and harrowing thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars film.  He's pissed, yet he's toying with them.  He could have sent the stormtroopers in, but he wants the exercise.  He's just a fucking machine.

Vader probably sends the troopers in at the start of ANH deliberately; he could do it himself, but he would probably have killed everybody in his anger, and he needs prisoners to interrogate.  Easier to send a horde of stormtroopers in, 'cause their aim is so bad there'll almost certainly be somebody left alive.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
I agree. I always find their reviews overbearing, overly serious and smug. But each to their own.

On the Vader slaughter scene, it was everything the prequels weren't. Somehow Lucas took Darth Vader from what should have been this kind of behaviour and character to someone who chops someone's head off then goes 'I shouldn't have done that'. He may as well have said 'oops' before it.

Loved it. One of my all time favorite moments in any Star Wars movie is how offhand he deflects Han Solo's blaster bolts then grabs his gun. Effortless use of the Force. And this was the same. Pinning that soldier to the ceiling then slaughtering him was fantastic.

I think there are a lot of things people are nitpicking about this movie that could be levelled at any of the movies. I don't understand why people thought it was so awful? I thought it was fantastic myself.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:16:02 pm by Paul JH »

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2016, 06:49:56 pm »
I agree. I always find their reviews overbearing, overly serious and smug. But each to their own.

On the Vader slaughter scene, it was everything the prequels weren't. Somehow Lucas took Darth Vader from what should have been this kind of behaviour and character to someone who chops someone's head off then goes 'I shouldn't have done that'. He may as well have said 'oops' before it.

Loved it. One of my all time favorite moments in any Star Wars movie is how offhand he deflects Han Solo's blaster bolts then grabs his gun. Effortless use of the Force. And this was the same. Pinning that soldier to the ceiling then slaughtering him was fantastic.

I think there are a lot of things people are nitpicking about this movie that could be levelled at any of the movies. I don't understand why people thought it was so awful? I thought it was fantastic myself.

I don't believe anyone found it down right awful. I went with a group of 10 people and none of us were particularly enamored, but still enjoyed it for what it was.

For me it was a serviceable flick set in the Star Wars Universe. It felt a bit by the numbers at times, and the characters simply weren't memorable, interesting or flushed out enough. Though there are some stellar moments in it, fan service or not.

It honestly felt like it had a lot of editing and reshoots, evidenced by the large amount of footage in the trailers not found in the actual film. Which honestly puts me at unease when you think about Episode VIII and the issues with production that has had.

If we're going to have a thousand Star Wars movies I'd rather everyone was hands off an let directors etc. take some risks. You might get some drab that doesn't work but you'll get some classics too. The gentrification of Marvel films done me in a long time ago.
:D

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2016, 06:54:34 pm »
Seen it today. Awesome.

The CGI with Leia was amazing. Didn't expect it at all. Vader's cameo was brilliant as well. James Earl Jones voice obviously gotten even deeper since the originals though haha.

The fact they all died was genuinely saddening as well as they had made you care about the characters. Particularly Jyn and Cassien
Believe

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2016, 06:58:00 pm »
How much do you know about each character though? Not a lot. If development is gaining an insight into their motivations then it's only really Baze that gets none. Chirrut, Cassian, Jyn all get that.

That's a weird thing to ask though. They're likable characters in a movie that made an impression on the movie goer. Jyn wasn't that. Cassian wasn't that. Sheldonrobot was just annoying. I liked Donnie Yen and his buddy. Whitaker was just awful and he's one of the best actors in the history of the franchise
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »
That's a weird thing to ask though. They're likable characters in a movie that made an impression on the movie goer. Jyn wasn't that. Cassian wasn't that. Sheldonrobot was just annoying. I liked Donnie Yen and his buddy. Whitaker was just awful and he's one of the best actors in the history of the franchise
Maybe by name, but he's shite in most things he's in. I still can't believe how he actually got away with his performance in The Crying Game. That should have been a career killer.