Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118225 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #760 on: October 17, 2016, 04:56:42 pm »
no two of the same model are ever exactly the same

also, this is mad, but it is totally true.

Also true of valve amps - I read that Neil Young had about 40 versions of his Fender Deluxe, and still preferred the original one he fell in love with.

I'd always advocate for valve amps btw, it's nice to have the FX of modelling and that and it's great on a budget, but a good valve amp will have a better overall tone, and you can always add FX later - but you can't add in the superior valve tone...I'm currently rocking a Fender Excelsior:

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #761 on: October 21, 2016, 11:38:25 am »
Cheers for the advice, will have a look around now I have some names :)

Offline sidlfc90

• Main Stander
  • Believer!!
« Reply #762 on: January 20, 2017, 09:30:45 am »
Anyone on here used any foot pedals? Need a bit of advice on the deluxe memory man and if it is worth buying?

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #763 on: January 20, 2017, 11:02:52 am »
I tend to use multi effects. Using a Boss GT100 right now. Never really got into dedicated pedals bar a Jim Dunlop Wah and a YJM pre amp pedal many years ago.

Have you googled it?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:13 pm »
Anyone on here used any foot pedals? Need a bit of advice on the deluxe memory man and if it is worth buying?
No effects panel for me.
I love the old pedal.
Chorus, Distortion and Fuzz box.

Don't have any anymore.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: January 20, 2017, 05:01:01 pm »
literally lived with a g1next for 6 years, does the job.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: January 20, 2017, 07:25:04 pm »

I've had some good Electro Harmonix stuff over the years, never that particular one though.

Separate pedals for me, although I think multi fx have got a lot better than when I used to have the old Zoom ones in the late 90s. My mates got one of those huge black Boss ones and its decent.

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #767 on: January 25, 2017, 02:18:55 pm »
I've used a line6 M13 virtual stompbox for a number of years and love it (bizarrely plugged into an old fender Blues Junior valve amp).

But My go to guitar now is my James Tyler Variax so what do I know  ;)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #768 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:33 am »
Currently addicted to buying guitar tab books on eBay ;D

I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #769 on: June 27, 2017, 01:14:01 pm »
Hiya.

:lmao I don't know why this tickled me.

Get an Ibanez. Nice flat neck, easy for spreading your fingers about a bit.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:54 pm »
:lmao I don't know why this tickled me.

Get an Ibanez. Nice flat neck, easy for spreading your fingers about a bit.

Ibanez make good guitars, nice low action and pretty good build quality but I've no idea if they do cheap versions.

Personally I'd be going for the Squier as opposed to the Epiphone, but that's my own preference as I always preferred Strats to Les Pauls, they just seemed more user friendly to me if that makes sense - a comfortable, versatile guitar and I love the shape. Both are classics though, even if you get the cheaper versions. Some people reckon the Les Pauls have a better tone, but I never noticed that myself.

I should probably add that it's been about 10 years since I bought a guitar so things may well have moved on a bit, and I was never an expert in any case. You have, however, made me think about playing again myself - I've got a lovely Guild Westerly acoustic that just sits there on its stand looking at me accusingly cos I never pick it up and it's a crying shame. I might even have to dig the Strat out of the attic, but I'm not sure how much I fancy antagonising the neighbours just yet...

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: June 27, 2017, 02:47:35 pm »
You're in the same situation as me, neighbours wise - have a look at one of these for £40:

Amazing tone and gain options and only you gets to hear it :)

That looks fucking awesome, I may have to invest. £40 quid, you say? Sound. Does it really sound like an AC30 like some of the reviews I quickly scanned were saying? Mad, if so.

Cheers man, I wasn't even aware such things existed, that's how out of the guitar loop (snarf) I am.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #772 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:45 pm »

Hiya.

Have decided to get back into guitar after about 20 years of not playing one at all

Any other suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

I took a similar break years ago and I'm soo glad I got back into it.

My thoughts are around setting up your guitar. In the old days you had to go to luthier to get set up properly. Nowadays there are so many guides on YouTube you can actually afford to save quite a bit (eg squier et al) and still have a nice sounding, easy playing  instrument.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #773 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »
Is rocksmith the Xbox game where you plug your guitar into your console? I was always interested in that. I swear by songsterr to be honest, breaks any song down and you can repeat sections and slow down etc.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #774 on: October 5, 2017, 10:55:09 pm »
Have one of these badboys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFdJdboE5rM

Anyhow, standard shit - but is there a way to just have all output through headphones?

Like... if there is - I don't know how to, but I hope that someone does.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #775 on: October 6, 2017, 05:56:10 am »

Possibly, but it depends on what you're after and the results may not be quite what you expect.

A quick look at the specs here says it has some line outputs for direct injection into a PA system but what's not clear is how hot these are.

It's possible that they may provide enough signal level to drive a pair of higher impedance headphones directly but...a lot will depend on where those line outputs are in the circuit schematic as they may bypass significant parts of the circuitry.

Find the schematic and it would make it easier but you may find that it's a dry signal that's output to the line outs, ie no reverb/chorus and possibly no tone shaping and also the output may well be controlled by the master volume meaning that even though you've got headphones plugged in, the main speakers are still driven, which will defeat the whole idea.

You'll just have to try it to find out.

If the line levels are independent of the master out but not hot enough to drive headphones, you could instead connect a headphone or even a hifi amp amplifier to them to drive your headphones, but it seems a bit like overkill when you may as well get something like an old Korg Pandora that will be fine for practice and that will drive headphones with ease and if you instead want sublime quality, assuming you have a piezo pickup get a Fishman buffer or a Little Labs multi z instead to drive a hifi amp from your guitar or whatever. Not be cheap though...

I'm assuming this is because you want to retain the piezo & magnetic pickup combination of controls and tone shaping and effects this amp gives you?

Depending on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron, you could also simply try inserting a switching jack on the output panel that disconnects the internal loudspeakers and then provides a direct connection for headphones or via a headphone volume pot. I'd suggest putting a limiting fuse in the circuit for the headphones and also remember to keep the master volume turned right down.

The power amp part will likely be fine, I expect it's a pretty standard Mosfet design that are pretty forgiving and generally indestructable unless you go full on and directly short the outputs in which case it will probably just go into thermal overload shutdown mode and spring back into life after cooling back down but I'm not promising this, it's nothing to do with me if it goes horribly wrong...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #776 on: October 8, 2017, 12:21:46 am »
Possibly, but it depends on what you're after and the results may not be quite what you expect.

A quick look at the specs here says it has some line outputs for direct injection into a PA system but what's not clear is how hot these are.

It's possible that they may provide enough signal level to drive a pair of higher impedance headphones directly but...a lot will depend on where those line outputs are in the circuit schematic as they may bypass significant parts of the circuitry.

Find the schematic and it would make it easier but you may find that it's a dry signal that's output to the line outs, ie no reverb/chorus and possibly no tone shaping and also the output may well be controlled by the master volume meaning that even though you've got headphones plugged in, the main speakers are still driven, which will defeat the whole idea.

You'll just have to try it to find out.

If the line levels are independent of the master out but not hot enough to drive headphones, you could instead connect a headphone or even a hifi amp amplifier to them to drive your headphones, but it seems a bit like overkill when you may as well get something like an old Korg Pandora that will be fine for practice and that will drive headphones with ease and if you instead want sublime quality, assuming you have a piezo pickup get a Fishman buffer or a Little Labs multi z instead to drive a hifi amp from your guitar or whatever. Not be cheap though...

I'm assuming this is because you want to retain the piezo & magnetic pickup combination of controls and tone shaping and effects this amp gives you?

Depending on how comfortable you are with a soldering iron, you could also simply try inserting a switching jack on the output panel that disconnects the internal loudspeakers and then provides a direct connection for headphones or via a headphone volume pot. I'd suggest putting a limiting fuse in the circuit for the headphones and also remember to keep the master volume turned right down.

The power amp part will likely be fine, I expect it's a pretty standard Mosfet design that are pretty forgiving and generally indestructable unless you go full on and directly short the outputs in which case it will probably just go into thermal overload shutdown mode and spring back into life after cooling back down but I'm not promising this, it's nothing to do with me if it goes horribly wrong...

Wow! That is a reply.  :) Ta lar.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #777 on: October 8, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »
Right - one more thing...

I also have a shifty little MG30DFX - you know, the one that everyone has?

Anyhow - I am thinking of messing around with the OD channel on acoustic - would I be able to send the signal to that from the acoustic amp?

In theory it would be sound - right?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #778 on: October 8, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »
Still after 'Amplug Classic'... AC30 style one on ebay at £5.. at the mo...  8)   ... i had this one, really good.. :wave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-Amplug-AC30-/192326753868?hash=item2cc7915e4c:g:1F0AAOSwVfxZ1-II

Ends -  (13 Oct, 2017 21:06:57 BST)

Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #779 on: October 8, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
I've got that one too, use it with my Rick :)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #780 on: October 8, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »

You could try plugging the emulated line out and headphones socket on the MG30 front panel to the effects return jacks on the rear of the AS80.
Keep the volumes at 0 to start with and then slowly turn them up and experiment.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #781 on: October 9, 2017, 12:17:51 am »

As an aside, if you are really interested in 'acoustic' amplifiers, you might set your sights on one of these....

They are not cheap, and it's just the pre-amp, but they are something else, studio quality stuff.

Failing that, I can personally recommend for live work or just faffing about either this or this.

Either are pretty good and specifically designed for peizo/magnetic pickup combinations and a lot cheaper though a tad obscure, few were manufactured and also as people who have them (like myself) just don't want to sell them. From personal experience they seem to work very well with Fishman piezo's.

But they are just pre's and you do need a power amp section though that's easily solved with something like an old HH VX300 through a pair of 12" or 15" horns and something like an old Lexicon mpx-1 for effects. Industrial strength stuff with bags of headroom, you could do the Albert Hall and you won't look back...

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #782 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OG__SwkV3wg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OG__SwkV3wg</a>
Kill the humourless

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #783 on: October 21, 2017, 12:05:28 pm »
That's a really excellent video, thanks Jambutty!
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #784 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:19 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/13lEg

Right - can anyone help?  :no
Continually on 11,420.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #785 on: October 24, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/13lEg

Right - can anyone help?  :no

You need a new jack socket.

It's a very easy 5 minutes max fix if you're ok with a soldering iron, if not, take it to someone who is.

Get yourself a new 1/4" (6.35mm) mono jack socket, should be no more than £3, like this..

Neutric ones generally seem to be the more robust in construction and materials used.

Now, detach the remains of that old one from the jack plate by removing the locking nut ( from your photo it looks like you might have to carefully grip the remains with pliers on one side to do that), then unsolder the white and black wires from the remains of the socket.

On the new socket, now solder the black wire on the guitar to the shield tab on the socket and the white wire to the tip tab, ie the tip tab being the one that has that big springy bit attached, the shield being the other one.

Now re-attach new socket to jack plate, gently tighten the locking nut and then screw the jack plate back onto the guitar body.

Plug in to amp, switch on, volume up to max and and then twang loudly.

Personally, I tend to use stereo jack sockets on my guitars, like this...

I only ever wire the shield and the tip as with a normal mono socket, but the extra spring contact connection for the middle ring on a stereo jack actually provides a bit more support and positive connection to ordinary mono guitar lead jack plugs when in use/abuse.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: November 17, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
Quote from: Lfsea link=topic=168494.msg15704704#msg15704704 date=1510927087

[b
Can anyone recommend a good starting point with regards to books? [/b]A quick Amazon search yields 1000s of results and would prefer someone's real life recommendation.
Will try and document my progress as much as possible on here.
;D ... Let the pain begin..  :lmao  I've been playing 30+ years, live gigs, studio stuff etc.. no doubt you'll get different advice but anyway...

Books, get books with them ring spines so they stay open on any page  ;).. you'll need a chord bible or easy chords to start with (ebay).. maybe 3- chord song book, buskers book.
youtube is the best option to learn as you can see, hear and pause rewind stuff.. look for easy guitar,beginners,3 chord songs,easy classics
try to pick some songs you know well..5,6 or 7 and rotate learning them as you'll be pissed off trying one that don't sound right and give up..
i'd of got a classical guitar first as the strings are kinder to your fingers and wide fret board... if poss.. learn with somebody else as well, even get 1 or 2 lessons..  :wave

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #787 on: November 18, 2017, 01:02:31 am »
I really am dying to learn the guitar but I've a fear of going into the music shop to buy one as I've no idea what to look for or how much to pay or what else I need. I'm also left handed so I'm not sure if that changes everything or not.

I don't want to be a professional or anything but I'd like to see if I could learn to play some contemporary music and some classics. Planning on teaching myself through YouTube. Really don't know much about it though and a Google search returns 1000s of results, each with different opinions.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:16 am »
So after life getting in the way of fun - as per - I've finally got myself a guitar. A 2009 Epiphone Les Paul Standard (sunburst finish obvs).

Can anyone recommend a good starting point with regards to books? A quick Amazon search yields 1000s of results and would prefer someone's real life recommendation.

Will try and document my progress as much as possible on here.
to be honest, fuck books, i've been going online for 4 months (had some experience before but then A levels, a wrist injury then uni got in the way) and maybe that's not the best way but go to JustinGuitar.com ... he's got a great course to follow for both beginners and then more advanced guys.

I really am dying to learn the guitar but I've a fear of going into the music shop to buy one as I've no idea what to look for or how much to pay or what else I need. I'm also left handed so I'm not sure if that changes everything or not.

I don't want to be a professional or anything but I'd like to see if I could learn to play some contemporary music and some classics. Planning on teaching myself through YouTube. Really don't know much about it though and a Google search returns 1000s of results, each with different opinions.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

just go for the standard fender stratocaster. (if you plan on learning some rock type songs). Acoustic guitar is fine if you're not planning to do insane solos or if you just want songs that just need the open chords. Thousands of songs can be done in the acoustic.

What I will say is I started (properly again, I don't count that time I tried years ago), on the acoustic. It's a lot lot easier to goi from acoustic to electric guitar if that means anything. If you can master barres on acoustic for example then you're set on electric.

Not an expert btw, but JustinGuitar was recommended a lot when i was looking up guidance online, and i can't say a bad word about the guy
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #789 on: November 18, 2017, 07:04:02 pm »

just go for the standard fender stratocaster. (if you plan on learning some rock type songs). Acoustic guitar is fine if you're not planning to do insane solos or if you just want songs that just need the open chords. Thousands of songs can be done in the acoustic.

What I will say is I started (properly again, I don't count that time I tried years ago), on the acoustic. It's a lot lot easier to goi from acoustic to electric guitar if that means anything. If you can master barres on acoustic for example then you're set on electric.

Not an expert btw, but JustinGuitar was recommended a lot when i was looking up guidance online, and i can't say a bad word about the guy

Sorry but didn't even know you can't play some songs on some guitars. I would like one that sort of covers all bases if that's possible! I will look into acoustic, don't need anything powered really.

I've heard of Justin guitar and will give it a shot if I ever buy this guitar. Cheers for the reply.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »
Just want to add a bit more for those wanting to learn guitar...  8)
Crucial to learning to play is keep the guitar 'in tune'.. being able to 'Tune' your guitar is a must (and a pain at first)
an out of tune guitar & just learning can put you off completely, a good cheap tuner is a 'Snark guitar tuner' (check ebay)
i still advice a Classical guitar first (nylon strings) easier on your fingers and strings wont snap so easy .. also wider fretboard.
check ebay with closest to your postcode first (cheaper to pick up & haggle price)
just thought i'd say..  :wave

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #791 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »
Anyone got any advise on Barre chords?

I've been playing about 6-7 months now and I'm ok at open chords but after trying to avoid them for as long as possible I've now been practising barre chords (mostly F) for the last couple of months. I'm at a stage where I can play it ok but when going from open chord to a barre chord I'm about half a beat off so my first strum sounds a bit dead.

I see some people can form the barre chord shape with their fingers and press them on the wires but can't seem to do that, I form the E shape with my first three fingers and when they're in position I barre with my other finger.

I'm now playing other barre chords and it's really frustrating me.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: November 19, 2017, 10:24:17 pm »
Anyone got any advise on Barre chords?

I've been playing about 6-7 months now and I'm ok at open chords but after trying to avoid them for as long as possible I've now been practising barre chords (mostly F) for the last couple of months. I'm at a stage where I can play it ok but when going from open chord to a barre chord I'm about half a beat off so my first strum sounds a bit dead.

I see some people can form the barre chord shape with their fingers and press them on the wires but can't seem to do that, I form the E shape with my first three fingers and when they're in position I barre with my other finger.

I'm now playing other barre chords and it's really frustrating me.
What type of guitar do you play acoustic or electric. am thinking of the action, how far are the strings off the fretboard, shouldn't be a problem with F though but will be hard as you move up the fretboard if action is bad.
I wouldn't worry about speed, just practice changing to the barred chord and play each note in the chord to see if no notes are dud, move your fingers over if necessary and keep repeating. most important thing is for the whole chord to be clear with no dud notes. speed up when you consistently play chords cleanly. I would do this learning any new chords. speed will come when you change with ease and that means getting the basics right first.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline cg82

• Top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top poster
  • Main Stander
« Reply #793 on: November 20, 2017, 01:02:36 pm »
Seen a few mentions for JustinGuitar on youtube. Another good one is AndyGuitar.

I tried teaching myself about 12 years ago just from a book. Total nightmare and gave up after about 3 months as I couldn't afford lessons. Started again about a year ago after my son started taking lessons in school and I picked up a bit from him and realised it wasnt as hard as I'd thought - plus it's so much easier learning off youtube as opposed to a book. Stuggling with barre chords myself at the minute (mainly the B string which keeps sinking into one of the wrinkles on my finger, Ive tried adjusting the finger position to no avail), am thinking theres too much action on the strings - can this be adjusted?? (It's a semi-acoustic guitar made by Westfield. Left Handed).

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: November 20, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »
Seen a few mentions for JustinGuitar on youtube. Another good one is AndyGuitar.

I tried teaching myself about 12 years ago just from a book. Total nightmare and gave up after about 3 months as I couldn't afford lessons. Started again about a year ago after my son started taking lessons in school and I picked up a bit from him and realised it wasnt as hard as I'd thought - plus it's so much easier learning off youtube as opposed to a book. Stuggling with barre chords myself at the minute (mainly the B string which keeps sinking into one of the wrinkles on my finger, Ive tried adjusting the finger position to no avail), am thinking theres too much action on the strings - can this be adjusted?? (It's a semi-acoustic guitar made by Westfield. Left Handed).
Yes. few things you can do to lower the action. if you are ever buying a decent guitar always insist on a free set up, ive never had a problem getting this but all depends on the price of the guitar.
I strongly advise any learner to get the guitar set up. high strings digging into your fingers makes learning far hard and far more painful.probably the biggest reason why so many people pack in.
2 things you can try. theres a truss rod to adjust the arm, this will straighten the arm out and lower the strings, it should be at the end of the neck inside the sound hole but could be at the top of the neck by the tuners.
Turn the screw clockwise one full turn at first and leave it for at least a day as it will take time for the neck to straighten up and lower the strings. if you hear fret buzz then the strings are touching frets and you have turn back half a turn, if no fret buzz then turn again half a turn, keep doing it till you hear fret buzz and turn back half a turn, it's as low as you will get it using the truss rod..
Another thing to do is to lower the bridge but be careful. don't saw down the grooves where strings sit, it may ruin the intonation. best to take the bridge out and sand the bottom down making sure it remains level. don't try and do it in one try, scrawl little line at the bottom of the bridge with a stanley knife as a marker so you don't go too low. as I say a spare bridge is cheap enough and if you mess up just do it again.
The next option is for the experts. the nut at the end of the neck by the tuners. the grooves where the strings sit can be filed down but the problem is intonation and filing down to low and getting fret buzz or dud sounding string hitting first fret. get it wrong and the guitar will be out of tune when you play. repair will be needed.
If the guitar is a decent guitar then I would take it down to a good guitar shop and ask for a basic set up. just tell them the problems the action.the option to polish frets is a bit expensive and maybe for when you've been playing a lot longer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:47:28 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #795 on: November 20, 2017, 02:23:49 pm »
What type of guitar do you play acoustic or electric. am thinking of the action, how far are the strings off the fretboard, shouldn't be a problem with F though but will be hard as you move up the fretboard if action is bad.
I wouldn't worry about speed, just practice changing to the barred chord and play each note in the chord to see if no notes are dud, move your fingers over if necessary and keep repeating. most important thing is for the whole chord to be clear with no dud notes. speed up when you consistently play chords cleanly. I would do this learning any new chords. speed will come when you change with ease and that means getting the basics right first.
Thanks for the advice. I'm playing acoustic at the moment, I work for a company who make electric guitar speakers but I've always preferred the sound of acoustic instruments. We have a few guitarists here and I took my guitar in for them to check over and they said the action was fine so I'm happy to go with their opinion.

I try to practise barre chords by just strumming down and switching between chords but I get bored of that pretty quick. I’ve found the best way for me to learn a new chord is to practise a song as it keeps my interest when you begin to recognise the tune.

That's similar to my story, I tried a few years ago and couldn't get on with learning from a book but today there's so much stuff on Youtube.

One of the best people I came across was Andy Guitar, he has all sorts of lessons from beginner to intermediate and he taught me everything to begin with. I've now kinda moved on a bit from his lessons but they're really good.

He has a few good lessons on barre chords, in one of them he teaches you to use the side of the index finger to barre with which helps prevents the strings going into the wrinkles in your hand, worth a watch.

https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:35:11 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:18 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I'm playing acoustic at the moment, I work for a company who make electric guitar speakers but I've always preferred the sound of acoustic instruments. We have a few guitarists here and I took my guitar in for them to check over and they said the action was fine so I'm happy to go with their opinion.

I try to practise barre chords by just strumming down and switching between chords but I get bored of that pretty quick. I’ve found the best way for me to learn a new chord is to practise a song as it keeps my interest when you begin to recognise the tune. That's similar to my story, I tried a few years ago and couldn't get on with learning from a book but today there's so much stuff on Youtube.

One of the best people I came across was Andy Guitar, he has all sorts of lessons from beginner to intermediate and he taught me everything to begin with. I've now kinda moved on a bit from his lessons but they're really good.

He has a few good lessons on barre chords, in one of them he teaches you to use the side of the index finger to barre with which helps prevents the strings going into the wrinkles in your hand, worth a watch.

https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/
Great, spot on playing songs you like, it's the incentive to keep playing. ive taught a few people over the years and that's one of the first questions I ask. what songs do you like etc. look for the easy songs and give them those songs to learn.
I started playing in the early 60s. not many books to learn from those days but lucky enough to have a older brother to teach me and tune guitar so far easy for me. every book to learn those days seemed to have, She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes. long haired wannabe rockers having to learn all these crap awful songs in the hope of learning to play the guitar. :) no wonder sho many packed in after a few weeks.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: November 20, 2017, 04:10:39 pm »

oh man, this was a killer for me when i was learning it, i thought i was fucked because i couldn't manoeuvre my finger to stop it happening. Just goota use the side of your finger, rather than the front of it.

It's a common probem though
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #798 on: November 20, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »

Tune down to Open D or C for a few weeks to both get the hang of barring and until you try lowering the action - also try silk and steel strings too; this will not only help you get to grips with barres, but will also help with lead (being less taut) and sounds beautiful; work your way up to standard tuning. Also, could try pissing on your fingers - no shit, the delta blues guitarists used to piss on their hands to firm their pads up.

Everyone has their own ways - I always teach new beginners the basics though open tunings first, then work up to standard; seems a bit counter-intuitive to some who learn through other means.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:35 pm »
Tune down to Open D or C for a few weeks to both get the hang of barring and until you try lowering the action - also try silk and steel strings too; this will not only help you get to grips with barres, but will also help with lead (being less taut) and sounds beautiful; work your way up to standard tuning. Also, could try pissing on your fingers - no shit, the delta blues guitarists used to piss on their hands to firm their pads up.

Everyone has their own ways - I always teach new beginners the basics though open tunings first, then work up to standard; seems a bit counter-intuitive to some who learn through other means.

That's a really interesting idea.

I guess my problem with that would be that the fingerings for open D are pretty much completely different to standard tunings so it might seem a bit weird to learn a whole other set of fingerings first - although, as you say, it would certainly get you used to the barres across the fretboard.

Going all the way down to C would make the strings really nice and slack and easy to push down though!

So long as you get there in the end it doesn't really matter.

I am so glad I learned to play. I've been concentrating on piano recently but I got the acoustic out for a little play the other day and it was awesome fun. Just having our floors done and it sounded brilliant in an empty room, loads of reverb, or as a producer I once worked with called it 'talent compensator', ha.