Author Topic: Southampton vs. Liverpool EFL Cup semi-final first leg, 11.01.17, 19:45 KO  (Read 23121 times)

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Re: Southampton vs. Liverpool EFL Cup semi-final first leg, 11.01.17, 19:45 KO
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »
Over two legs I think we will progress. Would be great to wrap it up tomorrow though.

Be interesting to see us without Mane and still without a few of our other starters.

Feeling confident. 0-3 at least.

It's like you've never seen us play a two legged semi final before ;D

We never ever make it easy for ourselves.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2017, 12:53:15 am »
Give him 45 mins then.

Take him off at half time.

What's the point? We have Sturridge and Origi who want and need games, use them. Bring him on when they'll be more tired, giving him an easier surrounding to settle back into. Hopefully 30 mins or so, meaning he can start at Old Trafford.

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:01 am »
Just a side thought to all of the lineup posts... I wonder if these will ever get over Lovren and the like leaving them. Its sad to hear them boo him (and they've even done the same for Clyne, Lallana, Lambert and others at times) every touch of the ball. If it happens hope he takes it as a spur on rather than negatively.

A bit of "We love you Lovren, we do" ad finitum from the away lads would do nicely!

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2017, 02:26:29 am »
He did well... against a League Two side that barely got out of their own half. If Milner is fit, he starts. He's pretty much better at everything as well. Defending, positioning, tackling, crossing, taking set pieces, shooting, going forward.

If Milner is fit he definitely starts.  If he's not 100% then I'd be ok with Moreno for this game.  Milner is one of the most important players in the team right now. 

Offline A Dick

• Main Stander
  • How come Cafu is wearing Flanno's shirt?
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:32 am »
Will be interesting to see what team Klopp puts out with Sunday on the horizon. I'd actually happily see us play quite a fringe squad because there's a second leg and the Man U game is HUGE but I reckon he'll go more or less full strength. See no need to risk Milner or Hendo who have both had knocks nor to start Coutinho either. The other interesting thing this month is going to be who replaces Mane... Lallana is so much better at centre mid than out on the wing so I'm expecting Firmino to move out wide and Studge/Origi to play up front most of the time but we could be about to see a fair bit of Ejaria this month. Hope so! I'd like to see him go for the following:

Karius
Clyne
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno
Can
Wijnaldum
Lallana
Ejaria
Firmino
Origi

Sturridge and Coutinho to come on around 60 minutes whatever the score and ease them back before starting them both vs Manure!

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2017, 08:10:10 am »
Will be interesting to see what team Klopp puts out with Sunday on the horizon. I'd actually happily see us play quite a fringe squad because there's a second leg and the Man U game is HUGE but I reckon he'll go more or less full strength. See no need to risk Milner or Hendo who have both had knocks nor to start Coutinho either. The other interesting thing this month is going to be who replaces Mane... Lallana is so much better at centre mid than out on the wing so I'm expecting Firmino to move out wide and Studge/Origi to play up front most of the time but we could be about to see a fair bit of Ejaria this month. Hope so! I'd like to see him go for the following:

Karius
Clyne
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno
Can
Wijnaldum
Lallana
Ejaria
Firmino
Origi

Sturridge and Coutinho to come on around 60 minutes whatever the score and ease them back before starting them both vs Manure!

60 is early for Klopp seems to leave his subs until 70/80 mins. Last time time up in Southampton he probably left it too late to bring on Sturridge.
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2017, 08:15:12 am »
I just keep thinking we have the Mancs on Sunday...... so they get an extra 24 hours rest AND who will be injured tonight and not face them!!!! They're such spawny cnuts you just know it's going to happen!!!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
As I said in the Man U pre match thread I think the diamond would suit us more often than not now with Mane injured.  Especially away from home.  At home we might need more width, so 4-3-3 could be persisted with.  But in these next two games, I personally would go with the diamond formation, as I feel it suits our players available the best.

For tonight I'd go:

Karius

Clyne Lovren Klavan Milner

Stewart

Can Wijnaldum

Lallana

Sturridge Origi

Would bring on Firmino after 60 minutes, but would look to start him vs Man U, with the striker he comes on for.

Hopefully give Coutinho 30 - 45 mins in the second half, if he can.  As would like to see him start vs Man U.

Last season Sturridge and Origi did the business in a diamond formation vs Southampton.  I think they can do it again.

Not sure whether Henderson is fit or not.  So went with Stewart.  Hopefully he can start vs Man U.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:07 am »
I thought Mane was away with Senegal playing in the African Cup of Nations rather than being injured?

I'd applaud Jurgen Klopp if he played a similar side to what he put out on Sunday to be honest. A cup semi-final for the boys would surely do them the world of good?

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2017, 09:27:12 am »
A diamond makes sense to me as well - it suits many of our players, perhaps Sturridge the most - but I think we've only started one game (Southampton last season as you mention) with that formation under Klopp. It's clear that he prefers a bit more width. I think mostly from a defensive point of view, both Mane and Coutinho/Firmino work hard to protect their fullback when needed.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:34 am »
We scored the most league goals in 2016 playing 433, why are people so obsessed with us playing a diamond?

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:57 am »
I don't think anyone is obsessed about it, I'm not anyway, but in the absence of Mane and perhaps Coutinho we don't have any attacker that prefer playing wide over being central. I also feel a two with Origi and Sturridge suit both players better than starting by themselves, especially if we don't have the speed and creativity of Mane and Coutinho available.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:23 am »
We scored the most league goals in 2016 playing 433, why are people so obsessed with us playing a diamond?

I am not obsessed with any formation.

It is about playing the one that suits your players the most.

4-3-3 has been great.  Doesn't mean others can't be just as good or even better, as last season vs Southampton showed.

I'm not saying we have to go with a diamond either.  I'm just saying it would be my preference.  Can certainly see why Klopp would stick with 4-3-3 if he does, as that has been doing the business for most of the season.

We haven't only played 4-3-3 in 2016 though.  We've seen 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 as well.  I don't think Klopp limits himself to a certain formation, he's pragmatic and will change it if it will suit us more.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
I am not obsessed with any formation.

It is about playing the one that suits your players the most.

4-3-3 has been great.  Doesn't mean others can't be just as good or even better, as last season vs Southampton showed.

I'm not saying we have to go with a diamond either.  I'm just saying it would be my preference.  Can certainly see why Klopp would stick with 4-3-3 if he does, as that has been doing the business for most of the season.

We haven't only played 4-3-3 in 2016 though.  We've seen 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 as well.  I don't think Klopp limits himself to a certain formation, he's pragmatic and will change it if it will suit us more.

Wasn't specifically talking about you. Just find it funny how Klopp has barely played the diamond formation but so many people want us to do it even though we score plenty of goals the way we set up this season. Not a big deal anyway, just an observation

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:49 am »
Wasn't specifically talking about you. Just find it funny how Klopp has barely played the diamond formation but so many people want us to do it even though we score plenty of goals the way we set up this season. Not a big deal anyway, just an observation

OK.

I personally do think it brings the best out of Sturridge though.  Which is a big reason to play it.  As he get freedom to roam more.  If he drifts wide, we still have a body in the box. 

Our results playing the diamond formation, under Rodgers and Klopp (when he has used it) - have been very impressive.

If Mane was here and we had a fully fit Coutinho - I'd be saying go 4-3-3.  But without those two I'd rather see us go with a diamond, than play two of Lallana, Sturridge, Origi or Firmino wide in a front three out of positions.  The strikers are best central and Lallana has been a revelation deeper in CM.  That's my reasoning.

I think we'd score loads of goals under Klopp, regardless of which formation we play under Klopp though.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:27 am »
The constant diamond obsession because it worked three years ago is quite funny I must admit, but in fairness did we not use it against Spurs earlier in this competition?

Personally I don't think you could ever use Firmino as a 10 in that system. Lallana is best suited, followed by Wijnaldum then Coutinho.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:20:41 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2017, 10:19:26 am »
The constant idea that there's a diamond obsession is funnier  ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2017, 10:19:37 am »
OK.

I personally do think it brings the best out of Sturridge though.  Which is a big reason to play it.  As he get freedom to roam more.  If he drifts wide, we still have a body in the box. 

Our results playing the diamond formation, under Rodgers and Klopp (when he has used it) - have been very impressive.

If Mane was here and we had a fully fit Coutinho - I'd be saying go 4-3-3.  But without those two I'd rather see us go with a diamond, than play two of Lallana, Sturridge, Origi or Firmino wide in a front three out of positions.  The strikers are best central and Lallana has been a revelation deeper in CM.  That's my reasoning.

I think we'd score loads of goals under Klopp, regardless of which formation we play under Klopp though.

Yeah that's fair enough. Guess we'll find out later what Klopp decides to do, and hopefully whatever he decides results in us scoring 6 again  ;D

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:58 am »
The constant diamond obsession because it worked three years ago is quite funny I must admit

It also worked two years ago and last season when used.

It's not just because it worked when Suarez was here.  It has worked since.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
I would expect to see Lovren, Klavan, Milner and possibly Wijnaldum come back in. I thought Ejaria and Ojo did alright the other day considering Plymouth parked the double-decker and it was a bit of a flat game. I'd play those two with Sturridge perhaps starting, with maybe one of Lallana or Firmino also coming in.

We have a huge game on the weekend, not just who we are facing but the context of it. We have the home leg of this tie next week and even if we have to turn around a 2-0 deficit I'd fancy us to progress. A mixture of some senior players and some younger players should see us at the very least be competitive.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:18 am »
I would expect to see Lovren, Klavan, Milner and possibly Wijnaldum come back in. I thought Ejaria and Ojo did alright the other day considering Plymouth parked the double-decker and it was a bit of a flat game. I'd play those two with Sturridge perhaps starting, with maybe one of Lallana or Firmino also coming in.

We have a huge game on the weekend, not just who we are facing but the context of it. We have the home leg of this tie next week and even if we have to turn around a 2-0 deficit I'd fancy us to progress. A mixture of some senior players and some younger players should see us at the very least be competitive.

But united match is not til Sunday
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:26 am »
It also worked two years ago and last season when used.

It's not just because it worked when Suarez was here.  It has worked since.

Yes and like every other formation it has also failed to work a la West Ham away in 14/15.

It's not some magical formation that people claim it to be. It has strengths and weaknesses like every other formation; our collapse at Palace, for example, largely came about because we had no one protecting Glen Johnson against Bolasie's constant counter-attacks.

Equally, it helped produce some scintillating football at Old Trafford with Sterling causing havoc between the lines.

Personally, I think it has merits for tonight's game, but like I say, I think you'd have to choose from 2 of Origi, Firmino and Sturridge against a decent side like Southampton. So it only makes sense if Hendo, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Can are all fit to play.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:42:01 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:58 am »
We can go full strength as the Mancs game is not till late on Sunday so plenty of recovery time.

I doubt Hendo and Matip will be ready for tonight but hopefully fit enough for the bench.

Offline Roger Federer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
It's not some magical formation that people claim it to be.
Who has said anything even close to this? It's merely been suggested as an alternative now that Mane is away, most even then know that we are more likely to continue playing 4-3-3.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:43 am »
But united match is not til Sunday

In a 'normal' month it wouldn't be an issue. But we are chocker this month with games and we need to use the squad carefully.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2017, 11:19:20 am »

I think people like the idea of Sturridge and Origi playing together too, and either Lallana or Coutinho in a more 'natural' position.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2017, 11:21:20 am »
It's not some magical formation that people claim it to be.

If you could point to me where someone has suggested this in the topic, then I'd be grateful.  Thanks.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:02 am »
If you could point to me where someone has suggested this in the topic, then I'd be grateful.  Thanks.

It's called hyperbole in relation to your post where you said it has worked since Suarez without acknowledging when it hasn't.

Selective memory.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2017, 11:26:35 am »
It's called hyperbole in relation to your post where you said it has worked since Suarez without acknowledging when it hasn't.

Selective memory.

Not really.

You were suggesting it only worked three years ago.  I rightly, pointed out that it is not the case.

I haven't suggested it is a magic formula or will 100% work or doesn't have weaknesses.

You've turned the conversation sour, sadly.  I think it should be an option, if you disagree - that's fine.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:42 am »
Not really.

You were suggesting it only worked three years ago.  I rightly, pointed out that it is not the case.

I haven't suggested it is a magic formula or will 100% work or doesn't have weaknesses.

You've turned the conversation sour, sadly.  I think it should be an option, if you disagree - that's fine.

If you read my posts properly rather than isolating certain sentences, you'll see that I agree it's an option if all four of our midfielders are available.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2017, 11:40:48 am »
A draw would be an acceptable result for me.
Believer

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:56 am »
If you read my posts properly rather than isolating certain sentences, you'll see that I agree it's an option if all four of our midfielders are available.

I read them properly, but I didn't see the need for you to suggest people were suggesting it is the "magical formation that people claim it to be.".

Statements like that, not only are they wrong, they just try and cause arguments.

Anyway that's the last I'll say on the subject, I think it is a good option - you seem to agree.  That should be that.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:13 am »
Reading on the Southampton forum, someone said the best way to beat us is to attack our defence. Up there with "score more goals and we'll win"  ;D

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:17 am »
In a 'normal' month it wouldn't be an issue. But we are chocker this month with games and we need to use the squad carefully.

Assuming we play the kids again in FA Cup, we have plenty of recovery time between all other matches of EFL Cup and Premier League, to be honest.
We play S'oton tonight - 11th, Scums 15th, Swansea 21st, S'oton 2nd leg - 25th, Chelsea 31st, Hull 4th of Feb.

And considering we have a few 1st team players coming back from injuries who are more rested, I think the first team, bar any tactical change, are more than capable of coping with those fixtures, including tonight's match.

In fact I think it would be nice to go full strength tonight (Phil coming on from the bench) and use this match as kind of a momentum builder for Sunday (I think we will twat them  ;D), as the last time we played against those scums after a longer break, bloody internationals, we didnt quite find the rhythm to break the triple-decker of The Paranoid One.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:48:53 am by Jetmir M. »

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:23 am »
I don't even want a diamond, I just want to see Sturridge and Origi upfront, how it happens, I don't care. But they complement each other very well yet rarely play at the same time.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2017, 11:57:44 am »
Reading on the Southampton forum, someone said the best way to beat us is to attack our defence. Up there with "score more goals and we'll win"  ;D

That's an Everton type comment. Southampton don't want to go full Everton!  ;D

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:35 pm »
Just a side thought to all of the lineup posts... I wonder if these will ever get over Lovren and the like leaving them. Its sad to hear them boo him (and they've even done the same for Clyne, Lallana, Lambert and others at times) every touch of the ball. If it happens hope he takes it as a spur on rather than negatively.

A bit of "We love you Lovren, we do" ad finitum from the away lads would do nicely!
They don't like the players who leave them acrimoniously like Lovren and Lallana did. Thought they'd have softened on Lallana by now considering how much he'd done for them, but still. Don't think they ever booed Lambert, and Clyne just gets a few rumbles. Not much different from the way we treat Sterling to be honest. Although with Sterling he obviously lets it get to him, so encourages it even more.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2017, 01:17:55 pm »
They don't like the players who leave them acrimoniously like Lovren and Lallana did. Thought they'd have softened on Lallana by now considering how much he'd done for them, but still. Don't think they ever booed Lambert, and Clyne just gets a few rumbles. Not much different from the way we treat Sterling to be honest. Although with Sterling he obviously lets it get to him, so encourages it even more.

I would be pretty pissed off if a bigger club kept on buying our best players. As you say, not as if sterling has been given an easy ride of it at Anfield
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
I would be pretty pissed off if a bigger club kept on buying our best players. As you say, not as if sterling has been given an easy ride of it at Anfield
Especially when those players go on to play well at their new club.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »

Unfortunately it has got to Lovren in the past. Maybe because his departure was a bit more acrimonious than the others. Didn't he threaten to go on strike to get his move?