Author Topic: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm  (Read 203499 times)

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm
« Reply #280 on: April 8, 2014, 12:28:27 pm »
I think they will start with Navas and give instuctions to run at Flanno all game.  I thought Flanno struggled against Diame in the first half and City would have seen that.

yeah but when Flanno snaps Navas in half in the first 5 minutes he won't fancy it anymore!

Offline Davo-g

• Kemlynite
« Reply #281 on: April 8, 2014, 12:33:55 pm »
The Champions League Semi-finals in 2005 and 2007 were my StEtienne moments. The atmoshphere in both games got us over the line (literally in 2005). We need that now. If we have anything that compares to those glorious Spring evenings then we will win the game. Get the flares out, get the flags out, sing, scream and suck that ball into the Kop net. . . Is it really only Tuesday today....

Offline XabiAlonsosBeard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: April 8, 2014, 12:36:55 pm »
On the targeting Flanagan issue, I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to shift Johnson over to left back for this game, or if Navas starts the game giving Flanagan a lot of trouble.

Presuming Johnson starts at right back, I think a similar blitzing in the first 20 mins of the Arsenal game could be crucial, even match winning. Just fly out the blocks with the crowd right behind us.

I think City are definitely weaker down their left side, with Kolarov and Demichelis. For that first 20 mins blitz, if it comes off, I'd play a lopsided front 3, overloading on out right. Sterling out wide, Sturridge right of centre, Suarez in a similar position but a bit deeper, Johnson overlapping and Henderson targeting the left side of their defence with late runs.

See if that gives us any joy for the first 15-20 mins, then maybe convert to a more balanced formation.
Justice for the 96.

Loves a missed penalty!

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #283 on: April 8, 2014, 12:37:48 pm »
The Champions League Semi-finals in 2005 and 2007 were my StEtienne moments. The atmoshphere in both games got us over the line (literally in 2005). We need that now. If we have anything that compares to those glorious Spring evenings then we will win the game. Get the flares out, get the flags out, sing, scream and suck that ball into the Kop net. . . Is it really only Tuesday today....

Yup only Tuesday... wish we was playing Saturday!

Offline fcsantos

• Main Stander
  • Believer
« Reply #284 on: April 8, 2014, 12:42:41 pm »
What a disappointing OP!  Didn't get me pumped as the usual scribes do, fell asleep after seeing sleeping and sleep in the same sentence,  who decides on the OP scribe??

Anyway, fuck it, this(along with the next 5) could all be the biggest games we've had in some of our lifetimes, makes dream!

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #285 on: April 8, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »
What a disappointing OP!  Didn't get me pumped as the usual scribes do, fell asleep after seeing sleeping and sleep in the same sentence,  who decides on the OP scribe??

Anyway, fuck it, this(along with the next 5) could all be the biggest games we've had in some of our lifetimes, makes dream!

:wanker

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #286 on: April 8, 2014, 01:03:22 pm »
I'd add to that by saying when they don't push very high, their next line is very much the 18 yard line. You see it time and time again this season that the 18 yard line is very much where they stop, and they catch a lot of teams offside that way.

I actually think this works in our favour. If I've spotted it, Brendan's spotted it, and the ball that we seem to excel at playing is at runners from deep into the space behind. Suarez and Sturridge could find space in a pocket, so I'm confident we can catch them out this way, particularly if we isolate Demichelis with any of our SSS.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: April 8, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »
I think City will setup like this: -

Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichellis, Kolarov, Garcia, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Navas, Dzeko.

I think because of the threat of Zabaleta we may go for a 4-3-3 as per the setup against Arsenal and Everton at home. Maybe play Sterling on the left to help Flanagan and keep Zabaleta pinned back?

Also I think maybe go with Suarez on the right side with Sturridge up front? Kompany usually plays on the right side of central defence so by playing Suarez off the right wing (like he has done in some games already) maybe he can stay away from their best centreback and exploit the space and uncertainty on Demichellis and Kolarov's side, which is easily the weakest side of Man City's defence.
Clichy isn't injured & neither is Nasri. I'm certain they will start.

Offline Calftownred.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: April 8, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
It seems to me that Pellegrini has the following choices to make:

LB - Kolarov or Clichy
LM - Navas or Milner OR play Silva on the left and bring Garcia into the middle and move Toure forward

Looking at how City lined up in their 10 big games this season: Chelsea (H&A), Arsenal (H&A), Barca (H&A), United (haha) (H&A), Bayern (H) and us (H).

Clichy has played in 6 of the 10 big games compared to Kolarov's 5. Crucially, though, Kolarov has only played in one of the four away matches (vs Barcelona). Clichy played recently away to Arsenal, though Kolarov has selected last weekend vs Southampton. Personally think they'll go with Clichy to add more pace to their backline to deal with SASAS.

Navas has played 7/10 with 2/4 aways (United and Arsenal). Milner has played 1/10 (away to Barca) and Garica has also played 1/10 (away to Chelsea). Clearly in away matches Pellegrini can look to match the opposition's 5 in midfield with a more defensive minded midfielder in Milner or Garcia, so this one is a real toss up.

Toure (10/10 games), Fernandinho (9/10), Nasri and Silva (both 8/10) will surely all start.

Think they'll line up:

Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichilis, Clichy; Fernandinho, Toure; Navas, Silva, Nasri; Dzeko (assuming Aguero isn't fully fit)

Would prefer to see Kolarov as we could exploit their left side of him and Demichelis with our pace.

3-1 to the Reds  :wave

Make us dream

Offline Norse Red

• Kopite
  • Forever Red!
« Reply #289 on: April 8, 2014, 01:06:14 pm »
There is no doubt they are going to attack down the left side near Flanagan, as City will think he is the “weak spot” on our team. I just hope the lad is up for the big task. He really need some good help from his teammates in this game. Navas/Zabaletta  vs Flanagan. I would be worried a year ago, but this season Flanagan has shown that he can battle with the bigboys, so I think he will have a good game.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 01:08:18 pm by Norse Red »

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 8, 2014, 01:09:21 pm »

What would you have written?

Offline Jamesy

• Anny Roader
  • Auld Arse
« Reply #291 on: April 8, 2014, 01:10:15 pm »

Very positive and well thought out post there mate :/
I've got your name written here in a rose tattoo.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: April 8, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »
Demichelis will start alongside Kompany?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #293 on: April 8, 2014, 01:13:10 pm »
Clichy isn't injured & neither is Nasri. I'm certain they will start.
Nasri is pretty much on form for them too.

Offline SimplyRed91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: April 8, 2014, 01:13:10 pm »
This can't come quick enough. I, like a few others I've seen, am strangely very calm about this. Much calmer than I was to the build up of the WHU game. I think it's because were not expected to win the league and I'm already happy as fuck about our season, so now I'm just enjoying what's to come.

On the other hand come Sunday I'll probably be shitting my kecks

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: April 8, 2014, 01:13:32 pm »
Demichelis will start alongside Kompany?
You could check the thread?  :butt

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #296 on: April 8, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »
If I were Pellegrini I'd be telling my players to run at Gerrard at every single opportunity. Getting him booked will be their main secondary aim other than securing a win or draw I'd imagine. We'd do the same if Kompany or Toure were one booking away from missing 2 games in the run-in (sadly they're not).

Missing Gerrard against Norwich and Chelsea is a big loss based on how he's played in the last 3 months, even though we'd have good cover from Lucas. He just keeps the opposition defenders and midfielders second guessing if they should track runs or not, which is hugely beneficial against any sort of team.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: April 8, 2014, 01:17:35 pm »
You could check the thread?  :butt

Ok,so he is most likely to start.
Suarez,Sturridge or Sterling should be looking to get in one vs one situations against him.
If they will play with a high line it will be easier to do that.
I think we can score 2-3 goals against them.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 8, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »
Lucas is a must for me. Silva, Nasri, Toure & Dzeko dropping off will be too much for Gerrard without help. Sterling gives tactical flexibility of switching between systems. Coutinho & Allen dropped. Agger for Sakho. Henderson left side (pace of Navas), Lucas right side (Nasri,Silva) & Gerrard as is.

Awaits PoP to crush my armchair expertise analysis.  :wave
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 01:34:06 pm by Livo.85 »

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: April 8, 2014, 01:26:45 pm »
Ok,so he is most likely to start.
Suarez,Sturridge or Sterling should be looking to get in one vs one situations against him.
If they will play with a high line it will be easier to do that.
I think we can score 2-3 goals against them.
:thumbup

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #300 on: April 8, 2014, 01:30:01 pm »

You write something then smartarse.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: April 8, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
3-0 win with a hattrick of Gerrard penalties please. The collective meltdown of opposition fans would be a magnificent sight.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #302 on: April 8, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »
You write something then smartarse.

Hahahahahaha!!! Some people eh.... maybe we all ask him to do the next un!

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: April 8, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »
I just can't see us not winning this. Pellegrini's defensive tactics play to our attackers strengths. Even against Barca they went for it & lost Demichellis as a result. Only then have I really seen them defend compactly. Maybe I need my memory jogged?

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #304 on: April 8, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »
Lucas is a must for me. Silva, Nasri, Toure & Dzeko dropping off will be too much for Gerrard without help. Sterling gives tactical flexibility of switching between systems. Coutinho & Allen dropped. Agger for Sakho. Henderson left side (pace of Navas), Lucas right side (Nasri,Silva) & Gerrard as is.

If we go for three conventional midfielders it seems awful risky to go for the virtually untested central midfield pairing of Lucas and Henderson in our most important game so far.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #305 on: April 8, 2014, 01:43:59 pm »
I just can't see us not winning this. Pellegrini's defensive tactics play to our attackers strengths. Even against Barca they went for it & lost Demichellis as a result. Only then have I really seen them defend compactly. Maybe I need my memory jogged?
To be fair, that is one of the only times I can remember Pellegrini trying to stop the opposition rather than the aggressive attacking approach we normally see.

I don't think it worked very well that time.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 8, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »
To be fair, that is one of the only times I can remember Pellegrini trying to stop the opposition rather than the aggressive attacking approach we normally see.

I don't think it worked very well that time.
Yep your right. Got my games mixed up.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #307 on: April 8, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »
3-0 win with a hattrick of Gerrard penalties please. The collective meltdown of opposition fans would be a magnificent sight.
I'd prefer if we score a goal that is 10 yards offside to make up for the combined linesman error from the Silva and Sterling blunderfucks...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #308 on: April 8, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »
We're going to win 4 or 5-1  :wave

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #309 on: April 8, 2014, 01:54:16 pm »

I think that is setting our formation based on what City might do to us. It seems reactive rather than proactive. We have the best team in the league. We have the best attack in the league. Let's line up in a way that maximizes our potential and not respond to what City might throw at us. I am not saying we should not plan for how they might line up, but we need to have a bit of arrogance to say we will play it to our style and with our formation.

I am not saying a midfield three of Lucas, Stevie and Henderson is not right (I actually think it is reasonable). But I think Brendan mindset has always been to play our best lineup to attack the team and not necessarily with a mindset of how to stop them.

"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #310 on: April 8, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »
I hope people realise just how big this game is.

Scratch under the surface and there are many a similarity to a certain match that took place in 2005. Liverpool, playing at Anfield, having overcome some severe tests to get there, taking on a team in blue, a club bankrolled by some of the richest people on the planet. Liverpool, the supposed underdog. That Champions League semi final second leg at home to Chelsea in 2005 didn't win us the title we later went on to claim, but it certainly will be looked back on almost equally as fondly a night. If we go on to win the Premier League in 2014, I'm convinced we would need to have beaten Manchester City en route, and if that so happens then we will be looking back on that game as the biggest one on the way to our success, just like the Chelsea game in '05.

It will be super, duper difficult. City have lost one league game since November 10th, that coming at the hands of Chelsea back in February. They won the League Cup and were knocked out of two other competitions that exposed certain shortcomings, but their league form for the best part of five months has been nothing short of sensational. They won't be looking forward to visiting Anfield though, you can bet on that. For all their consistency in that period, we are the undisputed form team of 2014. 12 wins and two draws in the league since the turn of the year, a sequence of nine consecutive wins coming in to this one. A number of their players, notably Nasri and Kompany, have suggested we are the best team they have played this season. Yaya Toure has mentioned a couple of times in the past how tough he finds it to play Liverpool. And yet, while those Liverpool teams (albeit a similar or the same bunch of players) presented a real challenge to City, the 2014 Liverpool is even better. Preceding this year we could only win one way, and that was by playing teams off the park. Now we have more in our locker. We can still do that, or we can beat you when playing below par, we can beat you coming from behind, we can beat you in the face of adversity with bad decisions going against us. So what's it going to be? Because if City want to win this match then they sure as hell are going to need to earn it.

Aguero, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Silva - all world class players, but Suarez, Gerrard, Skrtel and Coutinho have been their match or more since 2014 rolled around. Negredo, Nasri, Fernandinho, Hart - all very good players in their own right, but then we have Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson and Mignolet all in top form themselves. The only area City have been stronger than Liverpool in during our mammoth run has been fullback, with Zabaleta and to a lesser extent Kolarov impressing, but does the latter have the desire of Jon Flanagan to get the job done this Sunday, and if Glen Johnson is on form then he's every bit the player Zabaleta is.

But that's all individual kerfuffle. Fact is, we're a team, and a fucking good one at that. City boast a tad more flair but you would be hard pressed to tell their players want this title more than Liverpool. Yes, the City bench is full of top internationals, whereas ours is rather weak in comparison, but do they have a morale-boosting beaming smiling Iago Aspas as cheerleader? No, they do not. There is an insane drive in our ranks at the moment reminiscent of that shown in phases of the 2005 Champions League run, and see where that got us.

I'm not downplaying Manchester City. They are a brilliant side, managed by a likeable guy in Pellegrini who has taken them up a notch this season. They rip teams apart when playing well and they win plenty of games when they're not. But they are beatable, and I think their kryptonite is our strength. We've outplayed them to varying extents the three occasions in which we've met them under Rodgers - both 2-2 draws last season, which we gifted them late points due to idiocy, and in the 2-1 reverse this campaign where we were undone by bad decisions from the officials and erratic finishing from ourselves. But the point is they struggle against teams with relentless levels of energy. Southampton are the nearest thing to us in that respect, albeit with lesser quality players, and they have really given City some games over the last year. City beat teams that sit off them because they have the guile to get through two banks of four, but get in their faces (in a strategized way, of course) and they may be prone to crumble from time to time.

I suspect Aguero will start despite his injury layoff. Feels like his return has been held back with this game in mind. Might not get the full 90, mind. I think Pellegrini will abandon the 4-2-2-2 they have so often utilised this season, instead opting for a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 type formation with Toure, Fernandinho, Silva and Nasri potentially joined by one of Javi Garcia or Navas in place of a second striker. Interestingly they drafted in Lescott for Demichelis when we met on Boxing Day, presumably under the impression he was better suited to dealing with Suarez, but Demichelis has been earning better reviews of late so I think he will start this one for them. SAS need to isolate him whenever possible.

They score lots of well worked team goals. I've noticed they are particularly fond of the cutback from wide areas, with the likes of Toure and Aguero knowing where to place themselves, so we'll have to be wary of that. Kolarov cooks a mean delivery from wide, mind, so we need to try and stem that tide; his crosses are very dangerous.

Rodgers has some big calls to make. Sakho and Lucas came in from the cold at West Ham on Sunday and performed admirably. But Agger may be back, and Coutinho has been especially good in games at Anfield. Allen was due to start against the Hammers, but I'm not so sure we'll him from the getgo in a home game where the onus is on us. Sterling deserves to keep his place, he's been great and also gave Kolarov a torrid time in December. Whatever the team, I'll have confidence in us being able to get the job done. We have 14 top players and 11 will be picked.

The Hillsborough anniversary looms. Gerrard is old enough and experienced enough to channel his emotions to work positively, I think, and hopefully Flanagan can do likewise.

A win on Sunday would be a perfect tribute to the 96. It would also put us in the driver's seat as far as the Premier League title race goes.

Over to you, Tricky Reds. Get it done, by hook or by crook.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: April 8, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »
Do we go hell for leather at City with Coutinho in the number 10 role? Or d we go a bit more cautious with Lucas or Allen in as part of a midfield 3?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: April 8, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »
If Allen's fit, he'll play.

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: April 8, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
We're going to win 4 or 5-1  :wave

I hope 5-1. I am fine with the exact manner we destroyed Arsenal. Score five past them and then let them score a pen as a consolation. :P

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #314 on: April 8, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »
One player who I think is going to be vital for us is Sturridge.  He had a bit of an off game against the Hammers but he needs to be sharper in front of goal.  Suarez is going to be the menace he always is but Sturridge will need to be clinical as I don't think we'll get many opportunities, especially if Kompany and Fernandinho are playing.

I think the key difference will also be the atmosphere.  We need to bring the 12th man and scare them before they've walked out of the tunnel.  This will be something that none of them would've experienced, even the manager. 

I'm almost certain that, whilst Sturridge has been a little off in the last two games, against City he will come alive again, as he did in the previous game last season. If, as I suspect, we put Suarez on one of their full backs, then Sturridge will have Kompany on him.

This may render him slightly ineffective as a direct threat, but would allow Sterling to get at Demichelis who will not be able to live with his pace. If Kompany goes across to cover his partner, then it opens up for Dan or Luis to exploit the space.

Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #315 on: April 8, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »
If Allen's fit, he'll play.
I'm assuming it was only a knock vs West Ham as he still made the bench.

Personally I would go with Coutinho as the attacking midfielder and look to hit them on the counter like we did Arsenal and Everton. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #316 on: April 8, 2014, 02:08:09 pm »
One of Sturridge's best games in a red shirt was the Man City away fixture last season.  He was superb.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: April 8, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »
Get Hart in the Kop end first half and he'll be cacking it big style..That wall of noise descending on him could be a big factor

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: April 8, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »
Each game we play now is a thousand times bigger than Istanbul, whether it's City or Norwich.  Win this and I think our rivals will capitulate/collapse.

That's how big it is.

As Neil Atkinson said today, let's give them a true wall of noise; like nothing even our greatest European nights have summoned.  We'll show them what true spirit is.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: April 8, 2014, 02:12:51 pm »
It goes without saying, this is an absolute must win. A draw won't be good enough, for me.

I know there are games for them to slip up after this (Everton and Palace away being the two). But if it ended up a draw between us two, the problem is they would need to lose one of those games OR draw both of them, for us to overtake them (if we were to win all of our games of course).

The GD is in their favor, so that's what we'll be requiring if we shared the points on Sunday. That is asking a lot, in my opinion. Two draws in both those games - nope can't see that. Or a loss and a win in those two games - again that is asking a lot. To be asking them to lose at this stage of the season to either of those two, is just wishing for too much. One draw and one win is something i see as very likely out of those two fixtures, but then that would mean they would win the title on GD.

It'll be very much out of our hands, if it's a draw.

WIN!
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 02:14:29 pm by Hayer »