Author Topic: Preview: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30  (Read 35506 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Preview: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:05:11 pm »
Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30

I think we'll get the result here we all wanted at Southampton. But maybe it's too late to affect our European chances.

The important thing, I suppose, will be for the players to maintain their concentration and not to ease up now that there appears to be less to play for. Villa, remember, are in a relegation scrap and will have spent the best part of two weeks aching to get back in the ring after an exhilarating home victory against fellow strugglers QPR.  Villa Park ought to be rocking...at least until we stick the first one in.

I don't know why I'm so confident. In the home game v Villa I watched in expectation, with the rest of Anfield, as we passed the ball around in their half for the first 20 minutes. Several decent chances slipped by before the Brummies, with virtually their first attack, stole a goal with a speculative Benteke shot before constructing a second of exquisite simplicity. Benteke then helped himself to a second early in the second half and that was that. In some ways it's been the major theme of the season - leaking goals and losing points to teams which, on paper, look blunt or one dimensional in attack. Perhaps the Villa game, more than any other, showcased what many of our supporters believe to be our achilles heel - the soft centre. Outnumbered or outpowered in central midfield, with our centre backs too far away from each other and our full-backs too far up the field, it is argued that we are especially vulnerable to players like Benteke who possess the physical attributes to survive the first challenge and then turn on the ball.

We'll see. I can't imagine Brendan Rodgers will tolerate a repeat of what happened last time when the Liverpool defence appeared to decide it was pointless even putting a challenge in on Benteke.

Who'll play? If we were a normal team then Luis Suarez would be rested for this one. Two big fixtures in South America and then an intercontinental flight would simply rule him out of the starting line up. And maybe Brendan will be tempted by fresher legs (and even by the opportunity to test Coutinho in the centre of the pitch*). But then Suarez is not an ordinary player and the one thing that Liverpool are still competing for is the golden boot for the Uruguayan. Suarez will start (and get that early goal I was talking about). The time to rest him is when the game is put to bed.

That will be some time around the 65 minute mark.

Villa are a young team and playing under enormous pressure before an agitated crowd. Even coming off the triumph over QPR it's clear that they are brittle - they have been all season. Last time we played them Lucas Leiva was not properly match fit. Now he is. Last time we played them Stuart Downing was afraid to touch the ball. Now he seems to have conquered that phobia. We ought to have too much for them. I predict this will be more like Wigan than Southampton. Let's get the three points and see where we stand at the end of the weekend.

*Plus if he did that 'the Liverpool Family' would be convulsed with weeping kiddies convinced that Rodgers was preparing for Luis's summer exit.   

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:00:18 am by The 5th Benitle »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:54 am »
Good stuff Yorky, cheers. I think we're going to go on a decent winning streak starting on Sunday. It'll be good to see if Brendan has learnt from his mistakes against Lambert's sides (I think Norwich beat Swansea a couple of times previously too?) I just think we'll sort out the mistakes and attitude problems we had against Southampton, maybe play Henderson instead of Sturridge to give us more of a backbone? Every time I've seen Villa play, their defence has been shambolic, and if you can believe it, they're worse at set pieces than us. I fancy us for good 2-1 or 3-1 win.

Anyway, on another point, I hope Villa stay up. I’ve always had a soft spot for Villa, mostly because they had three Scousers in their European Cup winning team from back in the day in Jimmy Rimmer, Peter Withe and Kenny Swain. That was two more than we had in 84, with little fat arse on the ground Sammy Lee being the flag bearer for the Scouse nation. Kenny Swain’s mam and dad lived in our street when I was a nipper, and when he’d come to see them, he’d always come out for a little knockabout with us urchins. Also if I remember rightly, up until I was a teen, they were the answer to the trivia question “Which team has won the most FA Cups?” But if them staying up is at the cost of three points to us, I'd want them down in a heartbeat.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: Preview: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:02:37 am »
Great stuff as ever Yorky, thank you.

I'm still smarting from the home game against Villa, this is a great chance for revenge and I'm confident. I always am against Villa, I think it's because I associate the fixture with exquisite Fowler hattricks.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
Enjoy: there's plenty of time to read this smashing preview.
Yep.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:47:00 pm »
Welcome back my old friend.  International breaks are shite.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »
Lovely preview Yorky. Alas I will miss this one due to family wedding abroad.

Bloody families - always get in the way of footie. Take em to them game, they have their hot dogs and coke with HP sauce, support the opposition and go away with a win.

It wasn't supposed to be like that in Dec 2012 but it was. I hope we annihilate them as revenge is a dish best served cold. Said member of family mentioned above is a Villa fan and his sister has just got engaged to a Liverpool fan. Good lass  ;D They are both going to the game so I hope my experience of our home match against the Villa is reversed!
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:05:19 pm »
Villa game at home was one of the lowest parts of the season for me, if we'd got the early goal I think it would've turned into a similar game to the Norwich match. That said, seen a lot of Villa this season and they've got one very good half in them as a team. They've played great football in some games but seem to have a half of woe in almost every game (WBA game was a prime example, they were brilliant in the first half, poor in the second).

However, sorry not to be postive but I don't see us getting anything out of this game (hope to fuck I'm wrong). Firstly, they have the best offensive header of a ball in the league (on his game not one team has coped with him yet) - and we know how woeful we are against high balls/crosses/corners into the box. They have genuine pace going forward and some slick passing, plus they're prepared to press high and hard, flooding the opposition defence.

In short, they have all the ingredients of a team that can exploit our shortcomings this season.

On a postive note, they're not clever at the back themselves and we certainly have the players to hurt them (presuming a fit squad).

If we're to get anything out of this game we're gonna have to take our chances when they come (unlike we did in the home game) as I'm certain they will score and more than one goal imo.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:42 pm »
Good OP

Hate international breaks, looking forward to next weekend's football.

Regardless of the result earlier in the season, it's a very winnable game if we approach it in the right way. I don't think Villa are as bad as people say they are but they can struggle with their defensive organisation and coordination. If you have good mobility in attack (which we do), there is space to take advantage of.

Don't think I would start Suarez. If we need him, bring him on later on against tiring legs but I would start him on the bench.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

royhendo

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:11:07 pm »
Ta mate! The result and performance seems to run in indirect proportion to the level of expectation, so a low scoring win or a draw for me based on that non-scientific outlook.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
Don't think I would start Suarez. If we need him, bring him on later on against tiring legs but I would start him on the bench.

I agree don't start him but he's worth bringing on even if we don't need him, as such. If we get to the halftime or the sixtieth minute or whatever and we desperately need his spark then, yeah, bring him on. But even if we're coasting 5-0, bring him on for the last ten or fifteen minutes. Easily our biggest threat. Keep Villa on their toes right to the last.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
Nice OP, I agree that I think Suarez will start considering the golden boot race. Not sure about Sturridge, though.

Think it might be a good opportunity to mix up the midfield a little. Maybe give Jonjo or Henderson a start seeing as Allen is out.

I think a front three of Sturridge, Suarez, and Coutinho, with Hendo, Gerrard, and Lucas in the midfield would be a decent side to field. Although I doubt he'll bench Downing.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:47 pm »
Carra to play and pull that defense together, we were absolutely shocking against Southampton so the whole team needs to play well and be up fo the match and give the fans something back after that. Europe really shouldn't really be out of grasp but the table would tell us that. other teams above us will drop points between now and the end of the season, so Brendan needs to hit it home to our players that all our games now are a must win.

Was really optimistic before the last time we played Villa and we got twatted by them. hendo will be back in the team so that should stem there midfield,  weimann and benteke can cause us big problems if we play like last week

think if we score first we will twat them at least 3-0
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:27:18 pm »
Optimistic Yorky. I like it.

That * is a good point but I have also noticed that Luis has his worst games when he has a rest.

Soton away after 6 days rest, West Brom home after 8 days rest were not up to the level he has shown this season. He thrives on playing and although he has a long flight back I expect him to start and play well.

The key moment for me will be when the team is announced. Will we go with four attackers for a third game or will Hendo get a start. I'm hoping proud dad Pepe is back.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »
After the Southampton game, i'm not as optimistic about this one. But i think if we score first we'll beat them 3 or 4 nil. Would definitely start Henderson in midfield. I can't see Suarez being on the bench for this, can only see him starting. Come on Redmen ;D

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »
I'm confident

I'm worried. Every time we get confident, things go wrong and we concede 3 goals...

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
I've done a preview of the game here;

http://roryfitz9.webnode.com/news/aston-villa-away-sunday-march-31st-2013-/

Includes in-game screen shots of some of Villa's play;

'This is Agbonlahor's headed goal against QPR. Look at how close they get to Benteke for a flick or knock down. Its an example of another successful cross and this is against QPR with Christopher Samba playing. It could and probably should be a tactic vs us given the simplicity of Schneiderlin's goal against us.'

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
Great opening post.

It,s been, what feels like an eternity since the Southampton debacle. Looking forward to this game. Hopefully a turnaround of the result at Anfield. I,m sure/hopeful the players have a major point to prove after the last game. And they also owe Villa one as well.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:35 pm »
Don't think I could bear losing to these again. I have an irrational dislike of Villa fans, even though I don't hate their players or team, and think their manager's decent. I do think Carra needs to start over Skrtel, and I hope Pepe and Lucas are fully fit and raring because we'll need them to be in top form.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »
Keep an eye out for our mascot on Sunday, one of the bravest little men going. I'd be over the moon to see the reds winning 3 points for him.

@Battling_joshua: @SilverFX_Sports @bham_childrens yeyyyyy it's great #thankyou so much 😄👍⚽ #6sleeps #joshuabattlingcancer

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26:40 pm »
They will probably try much the same as they did against us at Anfield, thus I'd say it's crucial we score first so they can't easily play on the counter. I think we need a controlling the midfield performance, like our wins against QPR, Wigan etc..

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
They will probably try much the same as they did against us at Anfield, thus I'd say it's crucial we score first so they can't easily play on the counter. I think we need a controlling the midfield performance, like our wins against QPR, Wigan etc..

I agree and I think Henderson needs to come in. Villa are generally poor in retaining possession so if we can win the midfield and dominate there, then we can build from a good platform rather than Southampton where we lost midfield battle.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:32 pm »
Keep an eye out for our mascot on Sunday, one of the bravest little men going. I'd be over the moon to see the reds winning 3 points for him.

@Battling_joshua: @SilverFX_Sports @bham_childrens yeyyyyy it's great #thankyou so much 😄👍⚽ #6sleeps #joshuabattlingcancer

Puts everything into perspective.. I've watched his progress and this kid has been through hell! Bless him, and I'm sure the boys wont let him down.

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »
Great OP..

Personally think Shelvey deserves a start in midfield for this..

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:50 pm »
apparently lee mason is the ref.

it's all about cutting the supply line off to benteke. do that and we should win the game. hopefully johnson gets his arse back into gear after a few dodgy displays recently. one of coutinho/ suarez/downing/sturridge has to be left out for henderson.

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:07 pm »
apparently lee mason is the ref.

it's all about cutting the supply line off to benteke. do that and we should win the game. hopefully johnson gets his arse back into gear after a few dodgy displays recently. one of coutinho/ suarez/downing/sturridge has to be left out for henderson.
i'd personally let Downing have a rest he kinda hid vs Southampton and avoided most of the criticism.. no doubt he's improved but Hendo/Shelvey deserve a chance back in the side..

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:54 am »
Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30

I think we'll get the result here we all wanted at Southampton. 

I've given up on guessing which Liverpool side will turn up. Granted things have been getting better but just when you think we will go on a winning run, half of the team decides not to bother turning up.
#JFT97

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:28 am »
I’m dumbfounded why would we rest anyone? After the last time we played them I wont be happy unless we slaughter them 10-0. I seriously want to rip out their Jugular & shit down their esophagus & have them cowering in the corner crying with the fear of God thrust upon them about their inevitable relegation.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 01:59:20 am »
Great OP..

Personally think Shelvey deserves a start in midfield for this..
Based on what? Henderson is the only player who should be coming in imo.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:24 am »
Hopefully Carra plays, if he does we have a chance. Benteke will out muscle him no doubt, but Jamie has the routine to cope with that. We play Skrtel and Agger and it will be another comedy performance from our defense.

I just want us to play some brilliant stuff, and avoid embarrassment of seeing our defenders getting bullied by a relegation side. I'm in no shape to comment any further as I'm too fucking pissed by our shithouse defenders, except Carra, 35 and still showing those fucking pansies how it's done. Legend.

As for the rest of the team, I want to see First Sturridge hat trick!
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:08 am »
i think we'll win well in this game because I wont be able to watch it
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 08:43:40 am »
Finally a game after what seems like an eternity.

Cant wait for kickoff. Will be on vacation with mates for Easter. But I guess with one more red in the group, we wont have a problem heading to a restaurant to catch the game during lunch.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:41 am »
Hope we fuckin batter these!

Their win at Anfield left me the most deflated and annoyed this whole season, they were there to be beaten and we let them escape with 3 points.

It won't be easy....they are in a relegation dogfight and are on the back of some decent results. We need to knock the wind out them early, and just keep on getting at them on the counter with the pace of sturridge and the genius of Suarez.

Play like the better team we are and we'll win. Show any signs of weakness to this young Villa team and they'll take any chance they get
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:24 am »
3 in the middle and we'll win this. Carragher should probably walk back into the first eleven and it's close between Coutinho and Downing.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:16 am »
I'd say it was likely Hendo was rested last night on the instruction of Brendan. Himself, Stevie and Lucas will all start.

Offline andy jay

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 09:42:47 am »
Villa away always one of my favourites. Was my first ever Friday night away game in 1984, back when the BBC started showing live games. That was the end of my scouting career (boy scouts, not football scouting) and remember being directly in line with the second goal of Rushie's hat-trick and knowing it was in as soon as he hit it. Great wee compilation of it here, also featuring Gary Lineker before he had any media training. How the fuck he ever got that gig is beyond me - what secrets did he know? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdUAGQXIr0
we have dreams and songs to sing

Offline andy jay

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 09:44:48 am »
Feeling less optimistic this year though - Villa tails are up with recent wins, and after they did us at Anfield they'll be confident. Could go the way of the Albion...a double double for Midlands clubs? Please don't let it be so St Brendan...
we have dreams and songs to sing

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:43 am »
can see the lads that didint travel to internationals - Carra, Countinho, Downing, Enrique and Lucas defo starting this one..

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:39 am »
Come On Redmen!
Need to control the midfield here to avoid our defenders getting bullied again.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 10:27:30 am »
Personally I'd be tempted to go three at the back with Wisdom, Carra and Agger. Johnson and Enrique wing-backs, Lucas, Gerrard and Hendo in midfield with Sturridge and Suarez up top.

Definitely need three in the centre of the park, and makes sense for it to be Stevie, Lucas and Hendo. Considering we'll go four at the back, I'd expect Suarez/Downing plus either Coutinho or Sturridge.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:54 am »
Carragher has given his best performances this season after a respite and with Skrtel's form under scrutiny I think Carra should be a nailed on starter. Hes had plenty of rest and will be the freshest of all our defenders. We need to start from the back and him and Agger are the first names for me. Throw in Lucas and Henderson in the middle with Downing and Coutinho on either side of Gerrard should give us a strong midfield.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....