Author Topic: LFC v Association Sportive de Saint Etienne 1977  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
LFC v Association Sportive de Saint Etienne 1977
« on: March 4, 2015, 10:35:55 pm »
Monday was the 38th anniversary of our legendary European Cup quarter final encounter - first leg at the Stade de Geoffroy Guichard, the return being on the 16th March 1977.

1st leg
1st half <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJYEaOjLpJQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iJYEaOjLpJQ</a>
2nd half <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zvTKhoiBK_I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zvTKhoiBK_I</a>

2nd leg
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u5vBKpWj-2Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u5vBKpWj-2Q</a>

You may recall the semi was a more straightforward affair and the rest as they say was history! Tweeters might want to have a look at @ASSEmemories - theres boss photo on their account of Cally getting stuck in!

Allez les Rouges!  :scarf

« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 10:37:28 pm by Dam Sodd »
Cool down and play

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
Re: LFC v Association Sportive de Saint Etienne 1977
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2015, 10:41:00 pm »
Quality cheers for this. I solid 16 years before I was born so I need to give them a watch.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline wolves76

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2015, 11:18:25 pm »
Hope no one minds me once more plugging my 76-77 season review which includes highlights from both these games....and many others  :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Fkids2vvw

Offline ant

• Legacy Fan
  • Spread the faith - YNWA !!!
    • OLSC - France
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2015, 12:00:34 am »
there are rumers of a pre season friendly in 2017 to celebrate 40 years since the teams met in 1977.
www.liverpoolfrance.com - The home of Liverpool fans in France.

Get down to 1 of our 2 pubs in Paris, Lush Bar or Kop Bar, for all the Red's games on the tele :
http://www.liverpoolfrance.com/ou-voir-les-reds/

TRADE COUNT WHEN WE HAD A TICKET EXCHANGE : 24

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2015, 12:09:23 am »
Second leg was my first visit to Anfield. With me dad, I was 9, got a late extra ticket from one of his mates. Annie road end. He sat me on one of the barriers. Spent half the game just staring around in wonder!
Still remember the unbelievable reaction to Faircloughs winner.

The next game I went to was a home league game against Middlesborough which was always going to be a bit of a step down!!

Offline Kopendscorer

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2015, 12:49:51 am »
Well this is just Gold, and thank you for posting. My grandfather won a competition in the Daily Mirror for an all expenses paid trip to European game of choice for 2. He was 77 at the time and gave it to his 2 eldest grandsons. I was 18 and my cousin a few years older. We had been to games together before but nothing like this. We were put up at a Manchester airport hotel the night before and flew to Lyon in the morning. To a hotel there and then the train to St Etienne for the game. Some of the funniest things I've ever seen happened on route and I'm not sure how long the statute of limitations applies in Europe, so most is best left unsaid. We just happened to be on the same organised trip as my cousins mates and Ronnie Yeats. We had fab seats in the stands on the halfway line and I clearly remember watching a sort of Agincourt in reverse as bottles (not arrows thankfully, but almost as bad) rained down on the Liverpool fans in the end were we were given tickets. No segregation in those days lads and lasses, just constant mayhem. A narrow defeat was OK and back on the train to Lyon. For years afterwards shouts were directed at me in the Kop from some of the lads on the trip ' Have you sobered up yet?' and such like. A lifelong friendship with my cousin was forged, which is what my grandfather wanted, and lasts to this day. Whenever we meet at family do's etc it's always, 'What about St Etienne' and we relive again the best of days. We were both at Anfield of course for the second leg, with that unforgettable night on the Kop, but if anybody ever wonders which is the greatest football club in the world, well, you shouldn't wonder. It's right before your eyes.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2015, 01:04:58 am »
You should write that one up on here  (use aliases if you have to :D )

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2015, 04:31:31 am »
Nice replies, thanks. A friendly in 2017 eh, wonder if they'd make it 2 legs? :)
Cool down and play

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2015, 07:27:11 am »
Another pic courtesy of @ASSEmemories
Cool down and play

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2015, 08:08:15 am »

Nice one .

Didn't know the full games existed . Only ever watched the highlights .

I was locked out night that so never saw the game , so be nice to catch it all.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2015, 08:50:22 am »
I will always stand by my view ,the record books show Liverpool became European Champions in Rome on 25th May 1977....but the truth is we won it this night.....

I was 16 and in my last year of school.....cue wavey image and magical music....

Needless to say the game was the topic of conversation....not forgetting the blues had their League cup final replay in Sheffield the same night!!!

I was still in school in Skem and everyone decided these were must see games and with the blues travelling to Sheffield and our game being the biggest of our young red lives sagging* school was a must!! ( bunking for the youngsters)

One of my best mates Mick was a blue and had a ticket for their game and wanted to go into town early to buy some new trainees ( Dunlop Green Flash!!) and his train tckt was for 3pm ....so we set of early for town and arranged to meet others by the ground later , ...as soon as we hit town around 11 we knew something was 'on'....Green, Red and Blues where everywhere...loads of St,Etienne around..I recall one open top car driving around town with all the french  lads wearing mad green wigs and waving flags....anyhoo once Mick got his trainers and dumped the old ones, I set off to get  a swap for my scarf. I had brought along a tatty red one with a big plastic circle Liverpool badge on the bottom, we bumped into some French fellas who all had these really cool green ziz zag 'allez le verts' ones ( which were the scarf to get) ...I offered to swap mine and to be honest I think this old guy shit him self and swapped with me...proud as punch we then done what any self respecting school boy of the day would do...we went to the pub!!

We ended in in Cases Street ( when it was  a street and full of pubs) the place was bouncing and we got chatting to a French guy who was from Breast ( yes we giggled ...hey I was 16!) and was working in air traffic control in Ayr...he had lost his mates and on his own , so we palled up and he bought our ale all afternoon....town was buzzing and our bar bouncing and Mick just turned around and said fuck it...something special is gonna happen tonite at Anfield I will go to your game

Pubs shut at 3 in those days so we headed for Anfield , got there around 4:30 and it was heaving...where the garage is now on lower Breck Road used to be wasteland and there was a a French camper van parked up and they where having a barbi...with crates of stubby bottles laid out ..I approached one lad decked in green wig , scarf and a green flag draped over his shoulders...I done the international 'beer drinking gesture' pointed to the stack of ale and said "you!..me?...drink beer?" to which he replied " fuck off lar!.. I was here first!!" ;D

I think we got in the ground about 5:30..right in the middle of the kop.its was bedlam for hours and I lost my mate Mick but met up later...theres not much to say about the match cos its well documented...but I will tell you this, the records show we won the European Cup in Rome on the 25 May 1977....but I knew and so did the 60,000 in the ground that when Fairclough slid that ball into the back of the net....the journey  Shankly had set us on was over.. who he told us we where,....well that moment arrived...at that moment we knew we were  THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE ! ( fuck me theres tears in my eyes as I type that and I havent had a drink...yet!!)

theres load more I could add,,,but two last things...one, I apologies to the bloke whose 2 pints on mild I 'mineswept' fromt the bar of the Albert straight after the game..it was heaving .I was gasping....The only time Ive done it in my life!.....and this, walking back to get the Bus my Blue mate Mick let out a "aaaggh fucking Hell!!!" I assumed Everton must of lost..but he said look , pointing to his feet....his brand new white green flash were destroyed!!
« Last Edit: March 5, 2015, 08:55:50 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
I will always stand by my view ,the record books show Liverpool became European Champions in Rome on 25th May 1977....but the truth is we won it this night.....
Boss tale that. I wasn't boozing age in 77 (10) so both nights sat next to the radio listening to the commentary in full kit with my LFC sports bag that had that seasons team foto on one side. To try and compensate for not being at the match to watch the action, every time the commentator said a players name I looked at his picture on my bag praying for him to do something good. Guess our prayers were answered!
Am going to watch the first leg footage now, first thing I notice is there's no Tommy Smith or Kevin Keegan in the starting 11...

Cool down and play

Offline Wigan Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: March 5, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
Brilliant. My dad always says this was his greatest ever night on the Kop.

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2015, 08:08:46 pm »
Small bit before my time, but what's great is even just hearing great stories from these nights from parents/grandparents and in a sense it feels like you were part of the great moments you never even saw.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 5, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
Seeing that incredible Kop surge forward after goals in those days. Must have been stupendous to experience live.  :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Kopendscorer

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: March 5, 2015, 09:50:00 pm »
I told my story of the trip to St Etienne earlier in the thread, but forgot to mention a lovely postscript. A few months ago I got to meet and chat to Kevin Keegan. I mentioned the game of course, as well as the Bruges UEFA cup final at Anfield, and Wolves away. He laughed and said' Dya mean the goal where I put a cross in and the wind got hold of it?'. 'That's the one' I said. He was great to chat to, very friendly. A true hero of our great club.     

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #16 on: March 5, 2015, 10:13:31 pm »
I told my story of the trip to St Etienne earlier in the thread, but forgot to mention a lovely postscript. A few months ago I got to meet and chat to Kevin Keegan. I mentioned the game of course, as well as the Bruges UEFA cup final at Anfield, and Wolves away. He laughed and said' Dya mean the goal where I put a cross in and the wind got hold of it?'. 'That's the one' I said. He was great to chat to, very friendly. A true hero of our great club.     

great story nice one! He was a proper dynamo
Cool down and play

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2015, 10:23:48 pm »
Was locked out of this one,got a lift home in car,got through the tunnel & Keegan had scored,listened to the rest of the match on the radio  in the Cheshire Yeoman,don't think it was live on the telly cos the Blueshite were playing Villa in league cup final  replay at Old Trafford at least they got beat 3-2....at least I got in for the Zurich semi final & hopped on board the train to Rome but that's another story !!!!!!

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 5, 2015, 10:25:57 pm »
bunked off school early got in the kop queue about 5, not even a ticket game,
70p pay in ha ha. brilliant.
the echo said  15.000 locked out

Online storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: March 6, 2015, 09:36:34 pm »
I've tried so hard to explain the atmosphere and context of this game to my sons and nephew over the years. I don't think they quite get it. For example, they can't get their head round the fact that you could roll up (very early) to pay in when everyone knew it would be a lock out.

I don't quite believe the previous posters who said that if we put "Les Verts" out, we'd as good as won it. I suspect that the fact we drew Zurich in the semi final slants this (they were average at best). Borussia Moenchengladbach in the final were no pushovers whatsoever.

I was 16 and still at school in Birkenhead. Three of us (one was an Evertonian) went from school. I have no recollection of being in a uniform although definitely Gary (the blue) was. My memory is far from great but I recall the green wigs, the sea of green in the Anny Road, and the swaying and noise from the Kop. I was quite glad that we were near the back. Prior to this I'd spent too much of my "apprenticeship" as a Liverpool fan battling against he big blokes in the middle when (being vertically challenged) I couldn't see anything and got impaled on the barriers!

My one overriding memory is Fairclaough's goal. I won't pretend that in that mass of bodies, I actually saw it cross the goal line but I just knew as he went through, he'd score :-)

We went home on the ferry to Woodside (that's in Birkenhead for you non locals). I recall someone telling me Everton v. Villa was 1-1 (I seem to recall it went to extra time).

Best ever. Put Chelsea 2005, good that it was, in the shade.   
« Last Edit: March 6, 2015, 09:38:11 pm by storkfoot »

Online storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: March 6, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »

70p pay in ha ha. brilliant.
the echo said  15.000 locked out

Was it 70p? I thought it was a quid but I'm probably wrong. However I do recall they put the price up to Ł1.50 for the Zurich game. I boycotted the game for that reason (the attendance was 6000 below capacity).

Maybe, some things never really change?

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 6, 2015, 09:48:34 pm »
St Etienne, the game when you could scream as loud as you liked and you couldn't hear your own voice, it was that loud.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 7, 2015, 02:56:53 am »
THE defining Kop experience.  13 years old. Its still magical now.

Some people say the Chelsea Semi was better. Not for me. Maybe because I was just a kid and it was all just so, I dont know, big? No Sky bollocks and all that. It was really quite special.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #23 on: March 7, 2015, 10:29:51 am »
Credit to Boy's pen on that day  ;)
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #24 on: March 7, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »
Great OP and thread. I remember the game well.

Les Verts have always been my favourite French team since that night!

A few years ago I met David Fairclough at the huge shopping mall in Calais after our win away against Anderlecht. There was a cardboard cut out of Djibril Cisse outside a sports shop and this guy with ginger thinning hair was taking a photo of his lad beside the cut out. I tapped his shoulder and offered to take a photo of them both (days before selfies were the thing to do.) It turned out to be "Super Sub". I took the photo and we chatted for about ten minutes and the St Etienne game. He is a really nice and humble fella.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2015, 01:16:06 pm by Chavasse1917 »
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Offline josh96

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: March 7, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
Well this is just Gold, and thank you for posting. My grandfather won a competition in the Daily Mirror for an all expenses paid trip to European game of choice for 2. He was 77 at the time and gave it to his 2 eldest grandsons. I was 18 and my cousin a few years older. We had been to games together before but nothing like this. We were put up at a Manchester airport hotel the night before and flew to Lyon in the morning. To a hotel there and then the train to St Etienne for the game. Some of the funniest things I've ever seen happened on route and I'm not sure how long the statute of limitations applies in Europe, so most is best left unsaid. We just happened to be on the same organised trip as my cousins mates and Ronnie Yeats. We had fab seats in the stands on the halfway line and I clearly remember watching a sort of Agincourt in reverse as bottles (not arrows thankfully, but almost as bad) rained down on the Liverpool fans in the end were we were given tickets. No segregation in those days lads and lasses, just constant mayhem. A narrow defeat was OK and back on the train to Lyon. For years afterwards shouts were directed at me in the Kop from some of the lads on the trip ' Have you sobered up yet?' and such like. A lifelong friendship with my cousin was forged, which is what my grandfather wanted, and lasts to this day. Whenever we meet at family do's etc it's always, 'What about St Etienne' and we relive again the best of days. We were both at Anfield of course for the second leg, with that unforgettable night on the Kop, but if anybody ever wonders which is the greatest football club in the world, well, you shouldn't wonder. It's right before your eyes.

I was in the away end, like you said no segregation, we all stuck together and just pushed our way in to behind goal it was kicking off every 5 mins.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #26 on: March 7, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »
Really great stuff in here. I really felt the pangs of nostalgia reading over these accounts, too. I was glued to the radio listening. I was 8 and was allowed to stay up to see the ITV highlights and Gerald Sinstadt immaculate commentary.

Can't believe me ma let me stay up at that age. Think she realised how important it was that I actually saw the game, even in its highlighted form.

Wonderful memories. 
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 8, 2015, 01:11:37 pm »
It was the greatest atmosphere ever. It was one of the greatest nights to ever be a part of.

I remember listening to Rogan Taylor on the radio after the match. He said that when Fairclough scored, he instinctively looked at the Kop and it was like a scene from an Heroniymus Bosch painting. Little bit high brow I thought, I really had no idea what he was talking about.

Few years later I'm looking at a Heroniymus Bosch painting at a museum in Bruges. I hunted it out especially. You know, Rogan was right, it was if old Bosch had painted the occupants of the Kop, as one big seething mass, the moment the ball hit the back of the net.

History and culture.

Offline Defendant

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2015, 02:04:24 pm »
Watching a shot land in the kop is like watching coral move in water. Amazing.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 07:14:33 am »
at 1:10.32 Heighway wins the ball with a strong and fair shoulder charge and the ref gives a free kick - someone throws their big stackie shoe on :D

a real treat to watch. Thanks for putting it up on here.

royhendo

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:29 am »
Marvellous :)

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 11:00:10 pm »
From Peter Hooton's Liverpool - A nostalgic look at a century of the club
Cool down and play

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:46 pm »
Greatest night Anfield's ever seen....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 11:53:23 pm »
at 1:10.32 Heighway wins the ball with a strong and fair shoulder charge and the ref gives a free kick - someone throws their big stackie shoe on :D

a real treat to watch. Thanks for putting it up on here.

haha just seen this
Cool down and play

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:30 am »
Greatest atmosphere ever,and what a superb team St Etienne were,unforgettable night.

Offline MotownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:18 am »
Brilliant. My dad always says this was his greatest ever night on the Kop.
Your Dad is spot on, FC Bruge was pretty good as well

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »
A banner from Saint Etienne's game today: "25 years of lies...justice for the 96" :)

Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 11:38:50 pm »
A banner from Saint Etienne's game today: "25 years of lies...justice for the 96" :)

boss that....hats off to our French cousins
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 02:25:34 am »

I was watching a rerun of the game to see how Origi was getting on and to see that was heartening. I couldn't help but contrast that banner with some of the bile that was sung in the away end in our last home match, great respect to the Saint Etienne fans for that.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 10:39:29 am »
Classy that    :thumbup