Author Topic: Round Table: Liverpool 2 Manchester City 1  (Read 3550 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Round Table: Liverpool 2 Manchester City 1
« on: March 3, 2015, 05:46:28 pm »
Twenty seconds into the game Joe Allen produced a sublime first touch to control a tricky pass and take it beyond the lurking Yaya Toure. It was the first of many from the Welsh midfielder and it symbolised the gulf in class, on the day, between the two players. Almost everything that Yaya did came to naught; almost everything Allen did got the Liverpool machine rolling forward and with purpose. Eventually Allen produced a wayward pass. I think it was in the 83rd minute. He scampered after it, determined to make amends and a second or two later Liverpool emerged with the ball again. It was no wonder that after the game Allen came in for special praise from Brendan Rodgers.

The praise contained a subtle criticism. Not of Allen, but of those who can’t seem to appreciate him. Like Lucas Leiva before him Joe has often failed to win accolades because he does things neatly and quickly, not demonstrably or thunderously. Sunday may have been his best game in Red, but it continued a theme that he’s been steadily developing for two and a half seasons now. I can’t think of anyone in the first-team squad (apart from maybe Lucas himself) who is so calm under pressure. Allen has that priceless gift of being able to explore options when in possession and change his mind at the very last moment so as to maximise the chances of the next Liverpool player on the ball. He does this not only because he has a clear mind but also because he possesses a brilliant array of little feints. I have a feeling that if you asked Coutinho who was the most skilful player in the Liverpool team he might say ‘Joe Allen’. Finally, check out his pass on 20 minutes to release Moreno on the left. A bit of top spin to get it beyond the first City player and then the right amount of deceleration to lay it up for the wing back. I haven’t seen that kind of shape put on the ball since Alonso left.   

This was the third successive defeat of opponents above us in the league. Two of the vanquished are now below us as we continue to climb up the ladder. Who is to say that we won’t be sitting above Man City come May? There was nothing fluky about that win on Sunday. We were more organised than they were and had more flair. We were also, miraculously (given the jolly to Turkey and back), fitter and more up for the fight.

City’s best five minutes were the first five when they pressed us back towards the Kop. I have to admit that I thought we were in for a long and grim afternoon. But then Yaya took a shot that was so sliced it ended up behind him and the Reds seemed to take heart. The pressure was ramped up, Anfield went noisy and there began a period of Liverpool domination that feautured one of the best off-side goals I’ve seen and ended with a well-deserved lead, courtesy of a collectors’ item – a Jordan Henderson curler that didn’t end up bothering Row R of the Anfield Road End.  It was, in fact, a gorgeous shot – and the type of goal we weren’t scoring from that position last season. It looks like some serious work has been done on the training ground since January. First Coutinho learns to shoot, now Hendo. We know Jordon Ibe can smack the ball as if he has life-long grudge against it. Is Raheem Sterling next? Goals will come from these lads.

For a while it looked like we were in the hunt for an immediate second goal. Sterling whipped past Mangala as the concrete began to dry round the big man. His cross was inviting but it needed Lambert or another poacher to read the situation and finish it off. Then City responded by fashioning an excellent team goal, pretty much as they’d done at the same end last season. Silva remains the king of finding space in the last third.

After that it became a bit of a slugging match. You have a go, we’ll have a go. At one point, towards the end of the first half, Sterling went shoulder to shoulder with Company leaving the big man in a heap. Again, another little psychological victory for the Reds.

Can and Markovic both struggled to create anything on the right. Can didn’t seem to fully recover his composure following his first encounter with the ball – which popped up off the crap pitch and left him looking at the incriminating spot for a full 5 seconds. Markovic meanwhile ran into the brilliant Zabaleta. The boy is still trying to find his feet at Anfield and remains, at best, an intriguing prospect.  There were a few times against City when he looked timid I thought.   

If we shaded the first half, we dominated the second. Rodgers brought our defence closer to the midfield and Silva was denied any space at all until the very end. Lovren got better and ended by making some attractive little forward runs on the left and firing in angled passes to Coutinho. And Coutinho and Lallana began to cause mayhem. Both players possess the wonderful gift of turning sharply on the ball. Both instinctively want to face towards goal. Both possess extraordinary balance. Both work their fucking socks off. They are still learning to play together but, should they both remain fit, we’ll be certain of seeing fireworks in the last few months of the season as their understanding increases. They will, I’m pretty certain, destroy Manchester United’s ragged midfield. 

Again the winner came from five minutes of brilliant Liverpool pressure. City could neither keep the ball not get out of their own half. It must be a mind fuck trying to deal with Coutinho, especially, in that mood. The shot was even better than the ones he produced against Southampton and Bolton. Joe Hart’s a good keeper but he was miles away from the ball.

Both Sturridge for us and Aguero for them might have scored in the last five minutes. Neither hit the target. We sang You’ll Never Walk Alone and the Liverpool players left the pitch with a well-merited superiority complex.

On to Burnley.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round Table: Liverpool 2 Manchester City 1
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2015, 07:46:52 pm »
I think most (all?) of us would probably have been pretty happy with a draw and a decent performance before the game. The win against Southampton had taken the pressure off and made this game less crucial to pick up all three points in. Either way we were close to fourth - had we not won, we'd have been four points off, which even with just 11 games to go, is hardly a season-ending gap at all, especially seeing as we have to play both Arsenal and Man United in the remaining games (and both of them look like they could slip up at any point in any game).

Yet it was testament to our performance that had we not got the second goal we'd probably have been a bit disappointed afterwards that we didn't get all three points. We didn't really look like we were in trouble for most of the game; as you mentioned Yorky, City got out the blocks quicker and looked decent early on but they were always going to have little spells where they pushed us back. I always thought we would hurt them when we got possession - for me, the result would be down to whether we took our chances and whether we could stop them pushing us back for long periods (where we struggle more).

There is a reason we perform well against City under Rodgers - they're very poor at controlling space at times and they force themselves into poor trade offs because of their indiscipline in midfield. Toure is appalling at tracking back and he always leaves his midfield partner with a lot of space to cover, hence they will often briefly swap sides depending on where the opponent attacked on a particular counter (with the deepest midfielder being the one who has to cover). One of Pellegrini's main jobs when he came in should have been to find a better balance and structure than Mancini did to make them more solid between the lines and on defensive transitions and he hasn't really done that well enough. They play a more aggressive defensive line now, I guess partly to cope with that, but that gives them other problems. As such, a team that can take the game to them will often get their reward for doing so and we did this very well.

Rodgers got the team spot on - we needed energy and the ability to use the huge spaces behind their midfield and we had this in abundance. It hardly needs saying again how good Coutinho was but Moreno and Sterling with his movement (though he looked a bit over-focused on the ball, if that makes any sense at all ???) backed him up well to cause Zabaleta and Kompany lots of problems on that left hand side. Watching the first half again we could have been even more aggressive on that side in terms of running at Zabaleta but either way we were creating dangerous situations on that side and both of our goals did end up coming from there.

Towards the end of the first half we were looking a bit too open between the lines - obviously their goal came from Silva getting into that space and he was playing more narrow as the half went on. Dzeko was pulling over to the left more but it was hardly like he was playing LW so while they were a bit unstable at defending their left flank, they were overloading us behind our midfield. We needed to tighten up in that area.

And that was one of the things I was so impressed with in the second half - Allen and Henderson both had excellent games but particularly in the second half, they denied City space well in front of our defence which freed up our attack further. It's not easy to cover those spaces in there - it wasn't just a matter of sitting deep and shifting across; quite often it was one covering the other when the other had to break the line to close down Toure or Fernandinho in midfield. That requires good intelligence and a lot of hard work but both of them, especially Allen, were very good in that regards. It also forced City to have to attack the channels more and more, which, with a back five, was easier for us to cover.

It really was unreal how easy it was to play through the City lines - while this isn't an inherent weakness of 4-4-2 necessarily, when it's played badly and without compactness, you can take advantage of it through the middle and we constantly had 4v2 or 4v3 situations in midfield. Even when didn't have this numerical superiority, we had positional superiority because our two no.10s were still finding space behind their midfield. Lovren played two or three good passes through the lines and there was always the sense that we had control of that area. Pellegrini's decision to bring on Milner helped them a bit but it still didn't really deal with the problem - their two CMs were still leaving huge spaces behind them. It really highlights another benefit of the change in shape Rodgers made - there are many teams in England who are just not good at all at shutting off space and being compact from front to back and playing two no.10s in those little channels, backed up by Henderson moving forward and Sterling dropping off can cause so many problems for teams, not least a team who is as structurally open as City are.

The work rate overall was superb. There wasn't a single player who didn't contribute anything - Sterling despite not being at his best was still a nuisance for their defenders, Markovic was still quietly solid despite not having that much influence on the game. Lovren had his best game in a red shirt, especially in the second half where I thought he played very well. To see that intensity in our game was genuinely wonderful because for too much of this season we didn't have that. Even since the change to 3-4-3, there have been games where we haven't come near having that same intensity in our game (as Rodgers might phrase it) as we did last season but we did on Sunday and even on a bad day, that is a hard-working, energetic lineup of players. City looked very slow and cumbersome compared to us and I thought that was great to see. Rodgers is very good at setting a team up to be aggressive and quick and we've always looked at our best under him when we play like that. Some people love the individual flair players and I like that too but personally I also really love to watch a team press and close down together (or at least in fours and fives). There's just a certain aesthetic appeal about watching a group of players in harmony closing down the opposition, hunting the ball the ball together and suffocating opponents high up the pitch. It brings you back to our great run last season when we did exactly that, game after game. It was good to see elements of that on Sunday.

Onwards and upwards.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2015, 07:49:48 pm »
John ye nob.

;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »
John ye nob.

;D
:lmao
I haven't got a fucking clue how I created two threads from one!

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2015, 11:09:31 pm »
I couldn't believe Joe Allen didn't get singled out for special praise on Match of the Day. Maybe because they watch edited highlights on a TV screen and don't see the complete picture  ::).

Totally agree with the OP on the performance of Allen. In the pub afterwards, almost all of us called him MOTM.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2015, 11:53:10 pm »
I couldn't believe Joe Allen didn't get singled out for special praise on Match of the Day. Maybe because they watch edited highlights on a TV screen and don't see the complete picture  ::).

Totally agree with the OP on the performance of Allen. In the pub afterwards, almost all of us called him MOTM.

It's the type of player he is. He'll be more appreciated by his team-mates than anyone else - especially those who only watch highlights.   His lack of height and physicality has meant he's had to adapt his game and skill-set, which has actually benefitted his game.  I was gutted when Lucas was injured recently, but Allen could be a key player in our last 11 games.  He was important in the title charge in the latter half of last season; I think he played most away games in that period?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2015, 11:58:24 pm »
you know things are going well when the Round Table is back  ;D ;)

royhendo

« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2015, 06:30:47 am »
Wonderful :)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »
Allen struggled against Besikitas making a few passes that went wildly astray and I imagined his confidence might have been effected not to mention the 120 minutes he played. I just didn't expect such a fantastic performance from him against City but it was so good that even those around me who scapegoat him, had to begrudgingly admit how well he played.
I love Silva, I love Aguero, two players who show what's possible on a football pitch but Sunday was no masterclass from them because we took the initiative, not saying they were ineffective, I had my heart in my mouth when Aguero beat Mignolet and hit the post but this was a match where we were in control. It was lovely to watch. If Joe Allen had his best game for Liverpool there should also be a mention for Lallana, the way he runs reminds me of McDermott. I love his little lay offs and the way he enables others into the game, moving into space making himself available, the qualities of a true Liverpool player but you can see his confidence growing. The finish on the first offside goal was a thing of beauty and deserved a goal for it's audacity. Keep them together and ward off the Iberian sirens and this set off players can be as good as any, the future is bright.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2015, 02:04:05 pm »
That's a great read Yorky, thanks for the write up.

I'm glad you started with Allen too. He really was superb. Aggressive, refused to yield an inch and made the most of his technique to get the better of Yaya and Fernandinho. The little feints, body positioning and twists and turns were great. He really got us on the front foot as it felt like it was mainly his passes that were finding their way through to Coutinho and Lallana.

Silva is such a watchable player too. I find it hard to dislike this City side (especially when they're so accomodating to us!). We just always seem to have good games with them. Since Rodgers too over we've had

H 2-2
A 2-2
A 1-2
H 3-2
A 1-3
H 2-1

It's a gambler's dream!
« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 02:05:46 pm by C(r)osby Bill »

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »
I love the round table  - it really helps my understanding of the match.  Thanks guys.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2015, 02:15:04 pm »
I love the round table  - it really helps my understanding of the match.  Thanks guys.

Chalk it down, thanks Yorky and Lanky, I love the Lucas - Joe Allen player, behind all the good stuff and in the way of the bad stuff.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2015, 05:51:46 pm »

The praise contained a subtle criticism. Not of Allen, but of those who can’t seem to appreciate him. Like Lucas Leiva before him Joe has often failed to win accolades because he does things neatly and quickly, not demonstrably or thunderously. Sunday may have been his best game in Red, but it continued a theme that he’s been steadily developing for two and a half seasons now. I can’t think of anyone in the first-team squad (apart from maybe Lucas himself) who is so calm under pressure. Allen has that priceless gift of being able to explore options when in possession and change his mind at the very last moment so as to maximise the chances of the next Liverpool player on the ball. He does this not only because he has a clear mind but also because he possesses a brilliant array of little feints.

Thought that too. Rodgers was right to have a little dig. As much at our own support, as at assorted commentators and analysts.

Good read that. Cheers.

Just one point, wasn't Markovic up against Kolarov? Zabaleta was being caned by Coutinho on the other side of the pitch!
« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 05:55:39 pm by saoirse08 »
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »
Yeah, thanks Yorky, keep them coming mate.