Author Topic: Liverpool v Burnley (h) March 4th 20.00  (Read 46761 times)

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
Liverpool v Burnley (h) March 4th 20.00
« on: March 2, 2015, 04:11:46 pm »
Didn't see a thread on this?

So important to follow up a huge victory against City with a win here. It won't be easy but hopefully a fresh Sturridge can get us 3 points here.

Burnley got a point at Chelsea recently and should not be underestimated. Any type of win here to keep our charge going.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 04:14:11 pm by tommyLFC »
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Burnley (h) March 4th 20.00
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2015, 04:16:12 pm »
Failed to win at Anfield against most of the relegation fighting teams this season: Sunderland, Leicester, Everton, Villa, Hull.

And Burnley have looked decent away against United and Chelsea lately.

No room for error really, need to win this and march forwards
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »
Never an easy game in this league and they have come back to equalise and draw at City and Chelsea. Still should win though.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
They no mugs.

We must win big time.

Yes.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2015, 04:19:59 pm »
Ibe out for this, and likely until the end of March.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »
Feels a bit like the Sunderland game from last year. One we were expected to win but turned out to be a real struggle. I'm sure Ings will have a point to prove and they seem to be playing quite freely even if they're not picking up too many points at the moment.

Think Sturridge will be back starting this one?

Ibe out for this, and likely until the end of March.

Beware the Ibe of March.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »
Dare I say it will be interesting to see Danny Ings....  :-X

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »
I'd play the same team

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2015, 04:29:04 pm »
It's the definition of a trap game.
Must win.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »
My only change would be Sturridge in for Markovic, and then moving Sterling to RWB.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »
Burnley shouldn't be underestimated, for sure, but they still have only won 1 game away all season. They've also score less than a goal per game in general, and concede at a rate of two per game on their travels. Our current score ratio is 2-1, so it has the feel of a 2-1 game altogether, although I think we can make it a 2 goal game in our favour if either our defence is on form, or if Sturridge happens to score a brace (with a midfielder adding the other). It will be interesting to see how Ings performs, given our interest in him, and he'll either work his socks off to impress (and possibly overdo it!), or he'll fail to match the intensity of the game and become isolated. It's likely that Burnley will play a 4-4-1-1 against us, to add numbers in midfield, but it might not be enough, with us having a 4v3 advantage yet again in the middle, which should force them to add a body from elsewhere (creating space where their player leaves - probably wide midfield, so more space for that wingback), or to try and use their advantage out wide (which will mean midfield domination for us):

Dyche is a good coach, so he'll have paid attention to the City game yesterday, and it's possible they'll drop their two central mids off to look after Coutinho and Lallana. If so, then it will be vitally important that we both make the most of set pieces, and that we use Can to run at them from deep and test the keeper with some shots. If they try to play us straight up, though, we should create at least 5 or 6 good chances in the game, and it will be up to the players on the ends of the chances to put them in the net.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2015, 04:37:58 pm »
Lived in Burnley all my life and never like seeing Burnley below Blackburn..... but anyway.

Can't see Burnley doing anyhwere near enough to stop us scoring. Too pesdtrian in defence and they don't usually come to draw. very much like the Tony Mowbray west brom sides. Be surprised if they had enough fire power to score against us.

3 - 0. Sturridge with a brace.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »
We'll twat these c*nts.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2015, 04:38:44 pm »
Don`t see a single reason why we shouldn`t go all offensive and put 3 guys upfront in Sterling, Sturridge and Balo. ( in a similar way Barca set-up with their 3 forwards). They`ll park the bus and all that so it`s time for as many forwards on the pitch as opposed to attacking midfielders.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »
Relatively, one of the easiest games in our fixture list, but we've messed those kinds of games up before.

I agree with this

My only change would be Sturridge in for Markovic, and then moving Sterling to RWB.
Markovic looked a bit unsure of what to do against City and I think Sterling would be a better fit and I'd like to see us have a striker which we looked like we missed against City. While Hendo and Coutinho scored blinders, we could have used more a threat when we were in their penalty area. Sterlin didn't take those chances brilliantly.

I think we'll win comfortably anyway though. Could be in top 4 after this fixture
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 2, 2015, 04:40:25 pm »
Don`t see a single reason why we shouldn`t go all offensive and put 3 guys upfront in Sterling, Sturridge and Balo. ( in a similar way Barca set-up with their 3 forwards). They`ll park the bus and all that so it`s time for as many forwards on the pitch as opposed to attacking midfielders.

We'd have to drop Coutinho and Lallana to accommodate it though.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #16 on: March 2, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »
Failed to win at Anfield against most of the relegation fighting teams this season: Sunderland, Leicester, Everton, Villa, Hull.

And Burnley have looked decent away against United and Chelsea lately.

No room for error really, need to win this and march forwards
We haven't faced any "real" relegation fighting teams recently though. Those matches were in our bedding-in period.
We'll smash these- not because we can, cause Burnley is a tough nut- but because our players have a fighting spirit in them.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 04:42:22 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2015, 04:42:18 pm »
Sturridge instead of Lallana for me. Probably Sakho on the bench.
Would like to see Coutinho Sterling and Sturridge start together. Hasnt happened i believe.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2015, 04:42:21 pm »

We'd have to drop Coutinho and Lallana to accommodate it though.
Only Lallana. Maybe a cheeky return to 433 as a one-off.

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2015, 04:44:23 pm »
For Burnley it's now one win in 13 and two points from their last six league games. That includes fixtures against Crystal Palace, West Brom, Sunderland and Swansea. Not looking good for them.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #20 on: March 2, 2015, 04:44:29 pm »

Beware the Ibe of March.

Well this wins the quote of the thread already.

You've got to say we'll be confident for this, although Burnley have looked good periodically there's a reason they're in a relegation battle. Likewise if we can expose a few weaknesses in Manchester City's 4-4-2 we ought to be able to outplay Burnley.

Difficult to see an argument against changing the starting line-up really - the only possible alteration could be Sturridge in for Sterling but Raheem is playing well at the moment and seems to have a buzzing intensity that Sturridge hasn't quite warmed up to yet (and yes I'm aware of the irony of depriving Sturridge of games because he hasn't played enough games).

Hope to see the Lovren of the second half (and most of the first half tbf) and also hope Allen continues his excellent form.

P.s. Don't you just know Ings will play a blinder, then we'll sign him and he'll be crap?  :P

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 2, 2015, 04:46:55 pm »

The line-up against City:

Mignolet
Can---Skrtel---Lovren
Markovic---Henderson---Allen---Moreno
Lallana---Coutinho
Sterling

In order to get Balotelli AND Sturridge into that line-up, we have to drop two players. Which two are you suggesting we drop? We're not going to play anything other than 3-4-3. That is probably set in stone at this point.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 04:55:35 pm by PhaseOfPlay »

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »
A solid 2-0 would do me just fine and that is my prediction.

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: March 2, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »
We absolutely have to win these types of games to finish 4th or better.  This will certainly be a challenge I don't think we will be able to break down Burnley very easily and if we somehow give up the first goal things will become very difficult.  We need someone to start finishing chances in the box, teams have to respect the shooting ability of our midfield now so hopefully that will force them to step out a bit and create some space for combination play from our attackers.  I could see Lambert or Balotelli having something to say about the result if we have failed to break them down after 65/70 minutes.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2015, 04:52:30 pm »

They didn't park the bus at Bridge, Etihad and Old Trafford actually.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
It's a shame Ibe is injured, he could have really destroyed Ben Mee who is awful. Would like to see Sturridge back in to get back scoring if possible. Is there anyone who can cover for Henderson? From the presser it sounds like he wasn't quite right at the weekend and still isn't.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 2, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »
We could cheekily try Coutinho in CM. That obviously won't happen but just for the sheer ambition of it I'd love to see it ;D
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #27 on: March 2, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
In order to get Balotelli AND Sturridge into that line-up, we have to drop two players. Which two are you suggesting we drop? We're not going to play anything other than 3-4-3. That is probably set in stone at this point.

I'd like to see us give Raheem a rest, let's not forget the game time he's had in Istanbul and against City, bring him back fresh for Blackburn. If Sakho's fit, I'd like Rodgers to go with:

Mignolet
Can---Skrtel---Sakho
Balotelli---Coutinho
Sturridge
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #28 on: March 2, 2015, 04:53:54 pm »

Mignolet
Can---Sakho---Lovren
Lallana---Coutinho
Sterling

343 is rightly our default formation right now . But in a game like this it won`t be as effective because Dyche`s game plan in the first game we played them was brilliant. They kicked it long every single time we got close to them and said `No, we are gonna press you, here is the ball` and we struggle to get out of our half in the first half. They won`t allow us to press them this time either.

Emre Can allows us to switch formations during games and Rodgers always took pride in our ability to do that. It wouldn`t be much of a risk to use 433 this one time have two box-to-box midfielders in Coutinho and Henderson both of them making runs into the box, Sturridge on the right cutting inside and shooting ( like he did under A.VB), Mario in the middle as an aerial threat and Raheem from the left cutting inside on his right creating problems for them.

I know it won`t happen but if our game plan is to press them high it won`t work as they won`t allow us to, we might as well try something different and look to get our forwards on the pitch.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 04:55:31 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 2, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »

Mignolet
Can---Sakho---Lovren
Lallana---Coutinho
Sterling

Sakho played against City? No wonder we looked good defensively. He looked a lot paler than he usually does though
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #30 on: March 2, 2015, 04:54:34 pm »
They didn't park the bus at Bridge, Etihad and Old Trafford actually.
We`ll force them to this time around.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 2, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
Sakho played agaianst City? No wonder we looked good defensively. He looked a lot paler than he usually does though

Haha. Freudian slip there :D Not that I dislike Lovren or anything. But Sakho is ace :D Fixed it.

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: March 2, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »

Mignolet
Can---Skrtel---Lovren
Lallana---Coutinho
Sterling

Mignolet
Can---Skrtel---Lovren
Sterling---Henderson---Allen---Moreno
Coutinho
Balotelli-Sturridge

I wouldn't start like that though, same team as we had vs City with Sterling for Markovic, and Sturridge up top.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2015, 05:04:01 pm by MTred406 »

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #33 on: March 2, 2015, 04:56:02 pm »
Tricky games. I saw a table on Red Cafe about teams' home records against bottom half teams this season and ours is 14th !!

1 win = WBA
4 draws = sunderland, hull, leicester, everton
1 loss = villa

We actually have the best H-2-H record of top 7 inside each other, it's these dropped points against the fodder that really cost us early season.

Hope we can put it right, starting on Wednesday

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: March 2, 2015, 04:57:41 pm »
Swap sturridge for markovic and put sterling at rwb. So that leaves is with couthino, lallana snd sturridge up top with Alberto and sterling as the wing backs.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 2, 2015, 05:02:05 pm »
343 is rightly our default formation right now . But in a game like this it won`t be as effective because Dyche`s game plan in the first game we played them was brilliant. They kicked it long every single time we got close to them and said `No, we are gonna press you, here is the ball` and we struggle to get out of our half in the first half. They won`t allow us to press them this time either.

True, but we have Can in for Toure now, so we can move the ball out better. Although they might target Lovren for that, instead.

Emre Can allows us to switch formations during games and Rodgers always took pride in our ability to do that. It wouldn`t be much of a risk to use 433 this one time have two box-to-box midfielders in Coutinho and Henderson both of them making runs into the box, Sturridge on the right cutting inside and shooting ( like he did under A.VB), Mario in the middle as an aerial threat and Raheem from the left cutting inside on his right creating problems for them.

It's a good plan. I just don't think we're going to switch to 4-3-3 just because it's Burnley. I think we will stick with the 3-4-3 and try to dominate the ball again. They may have had a plan to press us in the game at theirs, but they also didn't create a single shot on target from it. So I think with the idea of getting the ball at the back, and using Can to add the numbers in midfield, I think our 3-4-3 will do much of what you're talking about, without having to change too much personnel, if any.

I know it won`t happen but if our game plan is to press them high it won`t work as they won`t allow us to, we might as well try something different and look to get our forwards on the pitch.

I think we'll play the game as it flows. I'm sure Rodgers will change it if you are correct in your assessment. But I don't think Burnley will want to give us that much of the ball at Anfield. I think they'll probably play this one a bit more defensive, with maybe bursts of playing it long like you say, at the beginning and ends of the halves. Otherwise, though, I think we'll have it a bit easier than we did in the first game.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 2, 2015, 05:02:43 pm »

Mignolet
Can---Skrtel---Lovren
Lallana---Coutinho
Sterling

Mignolet and Moreno. A cheeky 3 - 3 - 5 will put all Dyche's planning in disarray.
Macca resplendent!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 2, 2015, 05:03:51 pm »
Mignolet and Moreno. A cheeky 3 - 3 - 5 will put all Dyche's planning in disarray.

It would. But we'd also forfeit the points, possibly, as you have to name a goalkeeper :D Unless we nominate Skrtel :D

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #38 on: March 2, 2015, 05:05:31 pm »
This is precisely the kinda game we usually turn into a monumental struggle. Don't think we'll batter them, but do think our quality will be too much. Maybe a 3-1. Hopefully Sturridge starts.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 2, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »
It would. But we'd also forfeit the points, possibly, as you have to name a goalkeeper :D Unless we nominate Skrtel :D

You and your bleedin' rules! My campaign for goalie-in-and-out needs more top level discussion at the next LMA meeting.
Macca resplendent!