Author Topic: Individual Player Topics  (Read 65986 times)

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Individual Player Topics
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2014, 12:55:50 am »
Finishing second last season, while fantastic, certainly seems to have detached a large number of posters here from anything approaching reasonable expectations. It's incredibly disappointing how negative the atmosphere on this board has been lately, especially for those of us with memories longer than 12 months and who don't undeservedly take success and victories simply for granted. This has been bad in general but worse in individual player threads where I have been genuinely amazed by some of the rubbish spouted and I am ashamed at some of the abuse given to our players by some so called fans for the slightest mistake. Sadly, because in principle I think it's great to be able to discuss the merits and performances of our individual players, while the atmosphere here is as bizarrely toxic as it is, I fear the locks are the right way to go. I habitually come on here after each game and win or lose it's been a huge downer every single time so far this season in that the atmosphere has been far more negative than what I felt watching the match, and that's a terrible shame as it takes the joy out of being part of this community.

Have people forgotten that a mere 4 short years ago we were owned by H&G and managed by Hodgson!? A couple of unfortunate defeats is nothing...

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2014, 01:14:40 am »
Individual player topics generate discussion. A lot of that discussion was not up to par. We shall see how things pan out; on current evidence, the solution to a whole lot of poor-level discussion has brought with it a lot less discussion, period.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2014, 05:02:51 am »
Individual player topics generate discussion. A lot of that discussion was not up to par. We shall see how things pan out; on current evidence, the solution to a whole lot of poor-level discussion has brought with it a lot less discussion, period.
That is not necessarily a bad thing. And you do realise there's an international break on, right?

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2014, 05:30:44 am »
I'm not a fan of this, but I'm willing to give it a try  ;)

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2014, 06:15:31 am »
Great decision. Completely agree with cutting off avenues for the inane crap being posted in player threads. You know the usual suspects, the wade into threads and stink the place out with their pigheaded bullcrap.

Redcafe actually has a half decent system of vetting posters that goes some way towards weeding out the trolls, wums and 15 year old kids. You join the forum and are confined to one section for your 'probation'. Your contributions to the forum over a period of time will decide whether you get access to the main forum. Only posters who are willing to make a genuine effort are let in so it kind of works.

Phuk yoo

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2014, 06:31:28 am »
That is not necessarily a bad thing. And you do realise there's an international break on, right?

Of course. I did not say it was necessarily a bad thing, btw. :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »
Very smart revenue driver this, it's got the hand of Ayre all over it.

40,000 + registered RAWK users who, with one stroke of the administrators return button, have now regained literally hundreds of hours in their personal and working lives. Unfortunately continued and prolonged exposure to the bile and nonsense that became ubiquitous in certain threads have left many of us shamefully addicted to it.

Yeah sure it's ok to check in here periodically and look for the gems from Roy, Wooly, L6 & Macca, but thats like your Christmas dinner or your birthday, right? Special occasion stuff. Where's the daily scran??

Straight on to the 'back pages' of the online nationals - two clicks later and you're checking out Kelly Brook in a swimsuit or Prince bloody George in a stylish new camo outfit.

Don't tell me there's not some referral link money here - I'm not having it.....I see what you're doing and its the devils work this lads.

Seriously though - good shout.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »
I write this in full awareness of the slippery slope logical fallacy but RAWK's inexorable journey towards an LFC site where nobody can discuss LFC continues. The garnish has indeed eaten the steak.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:25 pm »
I write this in full awareness of the slippery slope logical fallacy but RAWK's inexorable journey towards an LFC site where nobody can discuss LFC continues. The garnish has indeed eaten the steak.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »
Can't disagre with the reasoning behind this - good move.

Loosely related issue, and one I've raised before, a 'Former Players Board' within the Reds forum would be welcomed by at least me - seems a shame to lose updates within the General Sport section.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »
Loosely related issue, and one I've raised before, a 'Former Players Board' within the Reds forum would be welcomed by at least me - seems a shame to lose updates within the General Sport section.

Like this one?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2014, 05:12:40 pm »
Can't disagre with the reasoning behind this - good move.

I like the idea. If its a goer would you help trawl through gen sport and find links to threads that could be moved across?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2014, 05:20:03 pm »
Think Jack means including more recent departees...

Yep, that's right.  I like the history board but somehow it doesn't quite seem the place for updates on Xabi's time at Real and Bayern, or Sami's management career, and so on.

Whereas I feel as though the General Sport section puts too much distance between us and our former players...

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2014, 05:31:01 pm »
I like the idea. If its a goer would you help trawl through gen sport and find links to threads that could be moved across?

Yep, of course.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
.......People are going to disagree with each other and it is going to lead arguments which is the point of a football forum......

Is it? Not for me. For me a forum is a place for the discussion between people of like interests. Arguments are only a symptom of forums. Discussion is the key. People should be able to discuss a topic even if they disagree. Arguing is what ruins a forum.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

Is it? Not for me. For me a forum is a place for the discussion between people of like interests. Arguments are only a symptom of forums. Discussion is the key. People should be able to discuss a topic even if they disagree. Arguing is what ruins a forum.
Hallelujah

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:25 pm »
I can see the idea here, I really can.

However, already I've found occasions where there isn't a suitable thread to discuss something about a player.

For example, Sturridge wins the player of the month, does that get a new thread?  If it does, then won't that become deaf cot the Sturridge thread. 
Imagine if Skrtel bites a player on international duty (unlikely I know) where does that go?

Maybe these issues will solve themselves and new types of thread will evolve, but I can't help but think there just won't be threads to discuss some relevant issues.

Still, let's give it a try
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
We're expecting that relevant threads will be created by users and it will happen naturally.
As for player of the month, how's that a discussion point other than people just saying well done, good news, well deserved etc?

Players will be discussed, we want them to be, but something had to give and that something was specific player threads.

Remember too that registration is closed and that this is only a trial. It might well be that we allow them back in a while.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2014, 12:31:31 am »

However, already I've found occasions where there isn't a suitable thread to discuss something about a player.
Although it hasn't happened, probably because people are terrified that if they open a thread they'll wake up in the middle of the night in the dark with Michael & Hinesy just standing looking at them menacingly, we expected more threads to emerge about player matters. So the example of Sturridge wining player of the month would be topical.  A thread would be created, it would include everything about how he's achieved it with both agreements and disagreements. Then it would either become irrelevant and fade in to obscurity or more likely it would descend in to the circular crap and get locked having had its 15 days of glory in the quiet world of RAWK. Then we'd start again accordingly.

However, the said thread would be observed more closely by the Mods, we'd delete some of the random posts that maybe you wouldn't even notice in a typical 40-post per page player thread that accumulates 50 or more pages of irrelevance.

I think that will be how it works. There are of course many other examples of why a thread could start, but if they are crap it will be locked and the OP warned - and that's not being heavy handed, it to prevent attention seekers and banal threads.

So the message is, find something good to discuss or click about somewhere else.

Hope that helps mate, as James says it very early days and we, the Mods, honestly haven't got a template for the ideal outcome for discussing players. But what was clear is that they were unfollowable and too far opinionated.

BTW, I still think Lovren should have got motm 3 times this season although apparently "he's just not good enough" :D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:33:48 am by John C »

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 05:38:15 am »
How are we meant to follow loaned players like Origi?  Can we at least unlock that thread?
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2014, 06:32:56 am »

So, unless this has been primarily the effect of the international break (a very plausible explanation that I am not discounting), exactly how much actual proper discussion has taken place in the main forum since 'the change' (TM: GrkStav)?  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2014, 09:10:57 am »
Just wanted to say the main forum is so much more readable after the player threads were locked. Great decision and I hope we never go back.

Sick and tired reading exaggerated bollocks about X player not good enough and Y player being an incarnation of Pele.

Good fucking riddance.
Phuk yoo

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2014, 11:35:51 am »
Just wanted to say the main forum is so much more readable after the player threads were locked. Great decision and I hope we never go back.

Sick and tired reading exaggerated bollocks about X player not good enough and Y player being an incarnation of Pele.

Good fucking riddance.
Mostly agree.  Most forums don't have many player threads.  Would like a thread for the captain though
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:52 am »
Would like a thread for the captain though
I'd like one too, but I fear it would descend into the usual arguments very quickly.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2014, 11:46:59 am »
Could we not just have one with the sole purpose of heaping praise on him? Kind of like a RAWK Stevie G shrine where any naysayers are flogged with soggy echos??  ;D

It is 11 years since he wrested the arm band from big Sami and he is dead handsome and boss at footy.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2014, 11:52:05 am »
Could we not just have one with the sole purpose of heaping praise on him? Kind of like a RAWK Stevie G shrine where any naysayers are flogged with soggy echos??  ;D

It is 11 years since he wrested the arm band from big Sami and he is dead handsome and boss at footy.

We did.
Guess how it went though.
 :D

I even started a thread discussing the merits of the position he plays and whether Brendan sees it as a crucial role. Even asked numerous times not to make it about Gerrard.
Guess how it went though.
 :D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:12 am »
I'd like one too, but I fear it would descend into the usual arguments very quickly.

But that's debate! Is debate, arguing, agreeing, questioning, praising and critising? Yes, seems RAWK just wants posts to suit the 'no negativity' theme illustrated by mods.

'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »
But that's debate! Is debate, arguing, agreeing, questioning, praising and critising? Yes, seems RAWK just wants posts to suit the 'no negativity' theme illustrated by mods.
Not in the slightest. Some of the most tiresome posts in player threads are by those who can see no wrong in a player and refuse to accept any criticism of the player. Seriously, you're dead wrong on that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »

Debate is about making cogent well argued points and allow for proper rebuttal from people holding opposite views. Thats not what is happening in a majority of player threads. Instead we get an endless carousel of bullshit from posters who want to make sure the whole of RAWK knows that Skrtel is wank or Gerrard is past it. Then we get more posters coming into the thread and rebutting those views with equally senseless arguments.

Phuk yoo

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:37 pm »
We are a right shower of bastards when we lose !!!!!! It applies online too!
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
Myself, I just think this is overkill. Who ever heard of a football discussion forum without any topics for individual players, even your bona fide club legend of a captain? Can't really join the chorus of grateful applause for this, sorry fellas.

Even if you had to wade through some shite, it's unarguably more convenient to find something specific to a player in their own thread they currently had running, rather than a general squad position one, with multiple players as well as countless tangential topics inevitably being discussed by our hundreds to thousands of active members at any one time. Easier to make a mental note of and then recall seeing that boss highlights video or magic goal gif or whatever posted in the thread dedicated to the footballer in question, than one of probably several midfield/attack related threads. If you go to a general gif place to look for it, that's a full page of gifs loading on every one you check.

And what of being able to discuss individual Liverpool players from the past, and current players of other teams? The Lionel Messi thread, the recent George Best and Tommy Smith ones, all interesting and not congested at all. Much better to take a zero-tolerance policy with the culprits supposedly ruining the forum for everyone - maybe you should just take on a few more mods who will happily read through individual player threads and weed out the crap?

Plus, sharp posters putting raging idiots in their place is half the fun of this forum anyway.  ;D

Actually think this is a good idea.
A sub forum perhaps for individual player threads, treat it like a transfer window forum.
Could be a proving ground for new mods, and posters alike.
Keep the 'positional' threads on the main board.

Not sure if it's workable ? But perhaps worth a go.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2014, 02:57:07 pm »
I just want to chime in and maybe make a difference in any final decision be it a return or a new idea.

I've found myself wanting to see what the fanbase thought of particular players on international duty (ie Coutinho playing on a sandy pitch, general performances) and while it has long since become circular arguments, the first reactions on Sterling with England. More importantly, RAWK used to be a great filter for at least somewhat reliable news like the value of Sterling's new contract.

As of now not much new threads concerning specific news about specific players have sprouted up, and from what I've seen, the various midfield, defence, attack threads are barely used for player discussion and instead are about formation and team selection. Not a fan so far, but if more people end up starting relevant threads it could provide that platform for discussion (and news) that I feel is missing right now. It could be that most are reluctant to start threads themselves and nobody ends up doing anything.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:16 pm »
How are we meant to follow loaned players like Origi?  Can we at least unlock that thread?

There should be a loan watch thread similar to the youth thread. Is that an option? Funny, I always thought there was one.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:28 pm »

The Origi topic was left deliberately unlocked for that reason. I'll have a nose.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »
There's been plenty of discussion about the Sterling situation, plskikme. It's been in the Hodgosaurus thread.

On people being worried about creating new threads - well why not a well written topic about injuries to our players sustained on international duty, with historic and current examples, sport science debates etc? You're very welcome to post one up.

Also don't forget there's been an international break on so it's a bit quiet anyway.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2014, 03:04:02 pm »
The Origi topic was left deliberately unlocked for that reason. I'll have a nose.

That was locked because people were talking crap about other players. It has been cleaned up and unlocked.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »
This was the salacious jezebel of sites when there were player threads, and I appreciate the cleanup work needed then. Look at the current hot topics this week though, how to get from Dover to Anfield and where to watch the game in Blackpool. I have had to start injecting speed directly in to my eyeball to liven up the read. How about just banning the incessantly negative posters, and limiting posting rights for newbies?
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »
i've suggested a players thread like the one we have for the Youth/Reserve's but no feedback for it.

Is that a no go mods? it would be easier to control the shite as that will get posted as well. As it will be confined to one single thread.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2014, 07:13:09 am »
i've suggested a players thread like the one we have for the Youth/Reserve's but no feedback for it.

Is that a no go mods? it would be easier to control the shite as that will get posted as well. As it will be confined to one single thread.

It will be one helluva thread to moderate though. It will expand at an exponential rate and there will be hundreds of active micro conversations and tussles between posters in the thread, about half dozen or more players. Imagine trying to glean any nuggets in a sea of crap, which that thread certainly will be.

And it will keep getting bumped to the top because it will the most active thread in the main forum, with the least worthwhile 'contributions'.

Phuk yoo