Author Topic: Danny Ings  (Read 87710 times)

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Danny Ings
« Reply #480 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:51 am »
10-plus goals in the league, 15-plus across all competitions

That's a realistic target for him this season. I think a split of 15 for Benteke and 10 each for Sturridge and Ings is reasonable for the league. Right now that sounds easy. But we're talking 35 goals from three players. So basically, one of them has to score every game. Then it's not so easy anymore. Makes it easy to track if we're doing OK or not.

Still think 10+ in the league is a fair target for Ings.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:13 pm »
Considering probable game time, don't think he will get 10 in the league but in all comps he could. Wouldn't be getting your hopes up after what Balo, Lambert, Borini and to some extent Studge put up last season. It's hard to see him outscoring all of those 4 combined especially as he isn't a 1st choice striker.

Im sure people expected 7-10 goals from Lambo, 10-15 from Balo and 3-5 from Borini. Got nowhere near that. So a decent estimate for Ings would be 7 considering he don't flop.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:30:51 pm by penga »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #482 on: July 27, 2015, 04:38:02 pm »
17 is the golden number for Benteke.

Those who know, knows.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:37 pm »
20 all competitions. I have a feeling he will have a good Europa League.
Seen us win everything

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2015, 04:46:57 pm »

He's not a 1 in 2 striker, that would mean he'd be starting or playing in at least 40 matches this season, which I just can't see, unless Sturridge stays on the injury table.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #485 on: July 27, 2015, 04:47:40 pm »

20 games more likely. So unless he's a 1 in 1 striker I don't see it being anywhere near that.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #486 on: July 27, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »
20 games more likely. So unless he's a 1 in 1 striker I don't see it being anywhere near that.
Hell get more than 20 games surely. With all the competitions, Sturridge being injured, and Origi settling in, hell play more than 20.
Seen us win everything

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »
Hell get more than 20 games surely. With all the competitions, Sturridge being injured, and Origi settling in, hell play more than 20.

Depends if we play 2 strikers or not, which I doubt we will.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2015, 04:58:44 pm »

He'll play more than 20, but how many minutes will he get?

A lot of those games could be a few mins here and there off the bench to replace Benteke.

All that said though, I think he'll do well here.  Has a fantastic attitude and workrate.

I'd be delighted with 10ish goals in all comps from him.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2015, 05:23:29 pm »
Think he can be Bellamy 2.0

And I am happy with that.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:34 pm »
I think 10+ goals most are touting on here is pretty ambitious when he's likely not going to start for us.

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:32 pm »
5-10 goals which would be a fine return for a 3rd choice striker.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: July 27, 2015, 09:06:39 pm »
I think 10+ goals most are touting on here is pretty ambitious when he's likely not going to start for us.

We need to be ambitious. Looking at his stats, he's at 0.33 goas/game
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52481

He'd need to play in 30 games to get 10 goals. I think that's probably more games than we can expect (only talking about league games). Means Ings needs to up his goalscoring a bit. But I think we need to set that kind of target for him. He'll be second pick for about half the season.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #493 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:29 pm »

He'd need to play in 30 games to get 10 goals. I think that's probably more games than we can expect (only talking about league games). Means Ings needs to up his goalscoring a bit. But I think we need to set that kind of target for him. He'll be second pick for about half the season.
*Reply saying that he'll score more playing for us than he ever could for Burnley*

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:13 pm »

That's .33 a game while playing 90 minutes most of the time as well, which won't happen here. You'd hope he at least improves his per-minute rate, since he'll be playing as a sub a lot, and strikers tend to thrive as subs. 10 in the league does seem quite ambitious to me though, unless he makes a big impression early and earns more minutes than I expect. 10+ in all competitions, say averaging around .4-.45 per 90 minutes, seems more realistic to me.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:32 pm »
That's .33 a game while playing 90 minutes most of the time as well, which won't happen here. You'd hope he at least improves his per-minute rate, since he'll be playing as a sub a lot, and strikers tend to thrive as subs. 10 in the league does seem quite ambitious to me though, unless he makes a big impression early and earns more minutes than I expect. 10+ in all competitions, say averaging around .4-.45 per 90 minutes, seems more realistic to me.

Still think we'll need a split of something like 15-10-10 from Benteke, Sturridge and Ings. For this, I assume Sturridge will play about half the season and Ings is likely to be third pick. The assumption there is Ings will get to play in around 20-25 league games. If he ends up playing less, naturally, we need to expect fewer goals. And the 10 is a rough target. Say he gets 25 games and ends up on 8, I'd say that's OK. If he get 25 games and scores 5, it's below expectations. Something like that.

Your suggestion, that he gets 0.4 goals/90 mins, is another good measurement.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:43 pm »
Say he gets 25 games and ends up on 8, I'd say that's OK. If he get 25 games and scores 5, it's below expectations. Something like that.
There is also a difference if he`s gonna score some goals to break deadlocks or garbage goals in routs. If it`s just the latter then it won`t matter if he scores more of those.

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:57 pm »
I have a feeling he'll become our first proper super-sub in some time. His tenacity and smart running is perfect for the latter stages of games, and his finishing seems good enough to bury maybe one chance in three. That'll do nicely. We need a game changer up front. 5-7 goals after 60 minutes would be ideal.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:05:01 pm by wemmick »

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2015, 11:41:40 pm »
I'd be very happy if he gets 10 in all competitions. He's our 3rd choice forward and we've got plenty of young attacking talent that will want to get in on that playing time.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:38 am »
How much did we end up paying for him in the end?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #500 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:50 am »
I'd be very happy if he gets 10 in all competitions. He's our 3rd choice forward and we've got plenty of young attacking talent that will want to get in on that playing time.
Considering that he will likely feature quite a bit in the cups and maybe in the EL, I'd expect him to hit 15 at least.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #501 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:18 am »
Yeah, unless we bomb out of Europe again as we seem to have made into a habit, I'd expect 15 or so.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:48 am »
How much did we end up paying for him in the end?

we have to wait for the tribunal for that. the fee isnt set yet.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #503 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:36 am »
If he gets 8 - 10 in the league, with Origi adding 4 or 5 and Benteke (hopefully)15, that's about 25 more goals than their predecessors managed last season.

......and add a certain Mr. Sturridge's contribution and we could be expecting 35+ more than last season's rather limp effort.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2015, 03:02:42 am »
For me what matters is if the goals he gets are important. If he comes on late in a game when we need to turn a draw into a win and gets a goal, I'd swap that for a hat trick in a 5-0 win.
The nature of a third striker like this is that they offer something when needed. This is why I always thought Hernandez at United was worth in weight in gold as a super sub.  If Ings can be that guy, then he'll be very important for us.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2015, 03:19:56 am »
I guess for me it is how he copes with not being the main man. Lambert came with a pedigree for being a proven goalscorer, but making the step up to a big club where there is added expectation, without getting the minutes he would normally get, the goals did dry up.

Ings should get a lot more game time than Lambert did for us, but I don't see him scoring as many goals as people think he will. 5-7 goals in the league, and maybe 10 in all comps seems achievable.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:13 am »
I honestly don't expect Ings to play much in the Premier League at the start. I think he'll see a lot of time in the six Europa League group fixtures  and that will be seen as something of a platform for future League involvement. It's basically what happened to Harry Kane last year. I'm not making comparisons there, but its a smart way to get a young player to prove himself without having to perhaps sacrifice quality if the step is too big too early. Although Ings had a good season at Burnley, it's still a different animal making the jump to a club fighting at the opposite end of the table. I think he will prove to be better than Borini or Lambert sooner rather than later, but some patience I think is required before he is ready to contribute consistently in the league.

Before even entertaining the idea of a healthy and consistently available Sturridge, I think Benteke is without a doubt the main man, and I think if the formation choice calls for two up front that it will be Firmino partnering alongside rather than Ings or Origi. It would take an injury to Benteke to get him involved, I think.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline YNWA4Life

• Kemlynite
« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:14 am »
He's not a 1 in 2 striker, that would mean he'd be starting or playing in at least 40 matches this season, which I just can't see, unless Sturridge stays on the injury table.

I like Ings, has the potential to surpass Benteke. He's not a 1 in 2 striker, but definitely has that potential. Not next season but within 2-3.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #508 on: July 28, 2015, 04:58:49 am »
I like Ings, has the potential to surpass Benteke. He's not a 1 in 2 striker, but definitely has that potential. Not next season but within 2-3.
Hi, what potential is that - in goals? in height of jump? in facial hair? in tatoo?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: July 28, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »
Still he will be useful if we want a goal in the last minutes of the game. We know he will press like mad and when teams park the bus like they usually do, he will most likely be in the penalty box making a nuisance of himself.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2015, 01:38:30 pm »
The nature of a third striker like this is that they offer something when needed. This is why I always thought Hernandez at United was worth in weight in gold as a super sub.  If Ings can be that guy, then he'll be very important for us.

Clearly his worth was small. :P

Offline PrideofBelfast

• Main Stander
« Reply #511 on: July 28, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
Yeh Hernandez I thought would've been a great addition but that transfer didn't seem to materialise. Lambert failed to impact when brought on and worried Ings, if used in such a manner, will also but cannot see another use for him bar the Europa League etc (which i have stated before i would like us to big gun it and progress safely)
In Brendan we trust!

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:42 pm »
I’ll stick my neck out and say he’ll pretty much be out favour by the end of the season like Lambert, Borini and Balotelli last season, but obviously hope he proves me wrong.

Yes he works hard but unless he has the capacity improve dramatically by working with better players I just don’t see how he will make an impact even as squad player. Technically average and not a particularly lethal finisher. Both he and William Carvalho were 23 year olds playing in the Euro U21 championship. While Carvalho stood out like a sore thumb as someone playing below their level, Ings just looked dog average.

I do wonder if he wasn’t available on a cut price deal would we have bought him in or even someone else. With us seemingly favouring a 4-3-3 with the occasionally diamond, and having Benteke, Sturridge and Origi as front line strikers and Firmino a very good second striker, I think he (or any other 4th placed striker for that matter) will struggle to make more than 10 starts in all competitions.

I think he’ll get about 5 goals in all completions, mainly from the bench.

Offline Kaiserred2012

• Main Stander
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »
People forget that Ings is a young striker, yeah he may have been at Burnley blah blah blah, In my opinion he wants to come here and work his arse off, he's a million miles better than Lambert, give the fella a break, he knows he's not gonna be first choice, think he will do really well, player for the team, comes across as he will give his all no matter what. get on his side and stop being so negative! he knows he's got to work hard....not many players around who show passion, this lad does.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:31 pm »
I’ll stick my neck out and say he’ll pretty much be out favour by the end of the season like Lambert, Borini and Balotelli last season, but obviously hope he proves me wrong.

Yes he works hard but unless he has the capacity improve dramatically by working with better players I just don’t see how he will make an impact even as squad player. Technically average and not a particularly lethal finisher. Both he and William Carvalho were 23 year olds playing in the Euro U21 championship. While Carvalho stood out like a sore thumb as someone playing below their level, Ings just looked dog average.

I do wonder if he wasn’t available on a cut price deal would we have bought him in or even someone else. With us seemingly favouring a 4-3-3 with the occasionally diamond, and having Benteke, Sturridge and Origi as front line strikers and Firmino a very good second striker, I think he (or any other 4th placed striker for that matter) will struggle to make more than 10 starts in all competitions.

I like Ings, and generally like the signing, but this isn't at all crazy. He's certainly not a Carvalho (or a Harry Kane). There's a good chance he flops completely.

That said, I think there's a good (but smaller) chance he's worth £25m in two years' time as well.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:39 pm »
Think he can be Bellamy 2.0

And I am happy with that.

Bellamy was a 1 in 3 striker most seasons (which surprised me as I thought he was a lot more prolific) Ings will do very well if he replicates that. I think Bellamy was more skilful and certainly quicker than Ings is.

Oddly, I think Ings will be at his best against big sides when we need everyone to put a shift in defensively. I see him as a poor man's Kuyt.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:32 am »
People forget that Ings is a young striker, yeah he may have been at Burnley blah blah blah, In my opinion he wants to come here and work his arse off, he's a million miles better than Lambert, give the fella a break, he knows he's not gonna be first choice, think he will do really well, player for the team, comes across as he will give his all no matter what. get on his side and stop being so negative! he knows he's got to work hard....not many players around who show passion, this lad does.

Pretty much agree with this. Personally, I love the lad's attitude. If only more players could demonstrate his attitude.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2015, 03:06:08 am »
I just hope he doesn't become our next Borini......lots of effort but no real end results.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2015, 04:48:45 am »

Carvalho comparison is absurd. All he did was trot out and pass the ball to his multitude of exceptional attacking players. Ings got nothing in the way of service there. How can they even be compared? I completely disagree with your assessment of how Ings' season will turn out.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:14 am »

A good striker won't stand out if his service is non-existant.

A central-midfielder will stand out as they're at the centre of all play. It helps that his team was much better.