Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
News and Current Affairs / Re: Labour Thread * No Gaza *
« Last post by Kenny's Jacket on Today at 11:40:18 am »
However, the plans do not include nationalisation of privately owned freight or rolling stock companies, which trade unions have called for but which would cost billions.

The Boozer / Re: *Post a pic of your latest purchase*
« Last post by ChaChaMooMoo on Today at 11:39:53 am »
Can I borrow your sword Rob?

Is that what she asked?
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by cissesbeard on Today at 11:39:49 am »
we'll never know what would've happened if klopp had left his announcement til the end of the season but maybe the players used up too much emotional energy and thats why they look flat.
god knows
but we start games so sluggishly and have for ages. too many games being 1 down early on and having to chase.
also i wonder if we should sometimes change formation to give the opposition something different to think about, sometimes maybe go to 4 in midfield to get more control?
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: PL: Eve 2 vs 0 Liverpool Bran 27’ Lewin 58’
« Last post by Fromola on Today at 11:38:09 am »
That's 5 of our last 7 we haven't scored at Goodison. The others were all 0-0.

We usually shit the bed there, but we probably created more good chances last night than the other games.

Different story with Jota in there, fresh from a goal the other day and even Gakpo. Nunez and Salah was like playing with 9.
We’ve challenged for the title until 4 games from the end of the season (legitimately - we’re at >+1 xg/90 over the season) with one of the worst injury crisis I can remember
Most of our squad are pre or early peak age

Its an incredible inheritance for the new manager

This.

From people fawning over this squad, to wholesale changes needed within weeks is utterly bonkers. But show how fans’ opinions change like the wind I suppose!

Despite the collective break down this past month, this is still a great squad for a coach to take on. There will be some changes, and no doubt 2 or 3 players may well want out anyway, but Slot comes in here not needing to make whoelsale changes, that’s part of what makes it such an attractive job for any new coach.
It was 5c at 6:30 this morning, December mornings can be warmer than this ffs :no

Grim. It's May next week too. The forecast for a weeks time "appears" better, but they mostly use 5y averages for anything after 5 days  (the Met office just give a general feel of UK weather as a whole). So that's why whenever the weather is colder in the summer, it always looks like it is going to get better if you look ahead a week.
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by rob1966 on Today at 11:36:35 am »
That is the problem, no one cries about it until it affects them. Every other fan base will say the same thing *it doesnt matter when city win it so I hope they win it every season until we are good again” “it hurts more when a proper club wins it because it shows up our failures “

Everything working into city’s hands.

Thing is and none of them see it, it affects every club and has been doing so for over a decade. They got relegated in 96 and took until 99/00 to get back, they then either flirted with relegation or finsihed mid table. Since the financil doping started, Utd have missed out on titles, you have now missed a title, they probably cost you CL when you needed it, Everton missed out on CL football, Spurs have and will this season, clubs got relegated that wouldn't have if the doped up Man City weren't there - if affects them all and they cannot see it.
News and Current Affairs / Re: Labour Thread * No Gaza *
« Last post by Red Beret on Today at 11:36:08 am »
You make really good points, in large I agree with them and the long term goal would be cheaper prices completely which would bring a lot of goodwill to Labour if they implemented it but you've also said it'll be 2035 for the service to be anywhere near where it should be. It could be done quicker if the funding is there to do it quicker and the short term pain of higher prices could lead to quicker relief with lower prices. We could invest and cut ticket prices if the service is renationalised you're right but we could also invest a hell of a lot more quickly by either not cutting ticket prices that much or keeping them as they are now.

From the Guardian:

Labour will fully nationalise the train network within five years of coming to power, with a pledge to guarantee the cheapest fares as part of “the biggest reform of our railways for a generation”.

One of Labour’s first major acts in government will bring all passenger rail into national ownership under Great British Railways as contracts with private operators expire, a plan endorsed by the architect of the Conservatives’ own rail plan.

Labour will announce it plans to cut waste and claw back shareholder dividends, saving £2.2bn. It will establish a watchdog, the Passenger Standards Authority, to scrutinise the new system. Passengers will be offered best-price ticket guarantees, automatic delay repay and digital season tickets across the network.

In a speech on Thursday, the shadow transport secretary, Louise Haigh, will say renationalisation “is not going to be easy and it will take hard graft, but it will be my mission to get us to the right destination and to deliver for the Great British passenger”.

Labour insiders hailed the announcement as the moment the party would begin to champion its more radical proposals in the run-up to an election campaign, after a number of U-turns including over green investment.

“It is passengers who pay the price, through being stranded because of cancellations, through being unable to work as they travel because there’s no internet, through overcrowded and unpleasant trains,” Haigh will say.

“And they also pay through the nose to prop up this failing system, with huge amounts wasted every year through today’s inefficient and fragmented rail network, and even more money leaking out to pay shareholder dividends.”

However, the plans do not include nationalisation of privately owned freight or rolling stock companies, which trade unions have called for but which would cost billions.

The party will argue that the public ownership plans will cost nothing in compensation to operators, who would transfer ownership once contracts expire, and save significant sums on bureaucracy and dividends to private operators.

Labour's priority is cutting costs for customers. Rolling stock is out of their control, so it's all about cutting the bureaucracy and removing the burden of dividends. As I said, the rail network itself is already in government hands, so the priority is freeing up resources to make the network integrated, usuable, and affordable. :)

Buying the rolling stock is undoubtedly a long term aim, but Labour can accomplish this by getting the economy back on its feet. It need not rely on money saved solely by renationalising the railways. Short term is going to be about getting prices down.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)
« Last post by Clint Eastwood on Today at 11:35:51 am »
Van Dijk: “Arne Slot is one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment”.

“With the way he plays, the philosophy he has, he can be a Liverpool coach”.

“But I read and hear that it is far from complete. We shall see. We will focus on that next season, still a long way off”.

I don’t know when or where he said that but apparently he did. Pretty much confirms it all. Anyway, “one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment” isn’t much of an endorsement :D
Yeah, there's plenty to be positive about this season, but I'm really not here for the "we'd all have taken this position at the start of the season" shouts to be honest. Dropping points in one or two games during the run-in like in 18-19 and 22-23 is a shrug shoulders, take plenty of pride moment. The way we have capitulated in the past month against some very average teams certainly isn't.
While I try to look at the more positive side to things, you have a point that really shouldn't be dismissed. The lack of drive, ideas and fight recently has been alarming. Particularly when you consider that our worst performances have been against our biggest traditional rivals, who are both currently in their worst states for many years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10