Author Topic: Premier League 2013/2014. Potentially the biggest in a long time.....  (Read 10231 times)

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Re: Premier League 2013/2014. Potentially the biggest in a long time.....
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 07:28:27 pm »
We need to shore things up a bit at the back and I'm a bit concerned that we're 'building from the front' rather than the other way around, so I'm not getting too carried away at the moment. I'm of course as hopeful as ever though.
Defend from the front. Always been a fan of that to be honest. We should be looking at keeping the ball a lot more up the field than at the back. One of the major problems I see in teams is giving the ball away too cheaply in the wrong areas, thus putting the defence under immediate pressure. We done way too much defending last year.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 07:53:09 pm »
At the moment City and Chelsea are just spending ridiculous amounts making what would be a very open season not as open, I think those two will claim the top 2 places. And then maybe just because of the change of manager United could finish lower but won't drop out of the top 4.

We've still got to compete with Arsenal and Spurs. It's a shame when you're naturally positive about it and then it slaps you in the face and you feel gutted for ages come half the season!

Neither have spent ridiculous amounts at all this summer (so far), hell, City have basically said they can't afford Cavani. Let's keep in mind that City have been spending ridiculous amounts for ages and they hardly ran away with it last season.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 08:07:03 am »
I personally think 2011/2012 was the biggest in the long time. A record spending, our rivals selling key players and yet, we delivered nothing.

This time around, of course it is because there is ambiguity everywhere but I still feel we missed our biggest chance few years back.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:46 am »
But did they increase the squad size for each club?

Or are both the players and commentators gaining weight....?
Everyone thinks we're getting bigger, but we've just started shopping in Primark. They're American sizes.

Its still the same.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
Yeah? And you're a dick!
Why thank you, you're too kind.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
I understand the point the OP is making, as there are going to be a lot of "boom or bust" situations in the league this season, but surely it's impossible to really even have this discussion until we have a little more clarity on player movement?

As someone has said, United could finish top or sixth or anywhere in between, realistically.  Well, top and fourth, anyway, if you want to really be realistic.  But if they get Cronaldo and Alcantara, then even Moyes couldn't possibly get that squad to finish lower than second.  And if they lose Rooney and only bring in someone like Fellaini, then you could see it easily being worse.  The same goes for double for Arsenal: if they really do splash the cash and buy a top striker and a DM, they could challenge for the title.  If it's yet another case of raising expectations only to dash them by signing a 17 year-old French winger, then they could drop out of the top 4 altogether.

I just think this whole conversation is about 6 weeks early.  Let's let the transfer dust settle just a bit before we start to rhapsodise about this team or that one falling off.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »
I'm optimistic. Lots of changes going on around the league, and at least the overall quality will be much better than last season. Hoping for top 4.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
We will be top of the league on Christmas Day, that fixture list this side of Christmas looks very tasty to get there while all the unknown variables around us will give early points away. Our new signings will flourish immediately and gain in confidence from the opening games.

I will drag this post up on Christmas Day as a little gift to you all.

Offline Biff9184

• Main Stander
  • whos Bigger than liverpool?
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »
We will be top of the league on Christmas Day, that fixture list this side of Christmas looks very tasty to get there while all the unknown variables around us will give early points away. Our new signings will flourish immediately and gain in confidence from the opening games.

I just hope were in the top 4 come xmas day. December looks a tough month tho m8.
you cant call yourselves Liverpool players with your heads down

Offline Liver-Land

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »

And to you as well!

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »

Go on lad, predict the second half of the season.

Give me the lotto numbers while yer at it!  ;D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:34 pm »
Haha, well in mate. Merry Christmas!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »
Since 2009 this is our best chance of finishing in the top 4 and would be a shame if we missed out on. Not sure the next season things will be going the same.

Merry Christmas all!  :hally
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

Well batted!

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2013, 03:20:25 pm »

Merry Christmas and top marks!!  ;D
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2013, 05:43:10 pm »
Is it me or do our second round of fixtures look tougher than the first.

Almost every game is iffy because we've got the weaker teams away now. There are obviously no guarantees we'll take 3 points off the big teams at anfield, and there's now a lot of pressure to win those games.

In the first half, at least we had norwich, fulham, palace, west ham, west brom, stoke, all at home. Bankers.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline Dalglish1892

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2013, 05:55:12 pm »

Almost every game is iffy because we've got the weaker teams away now. There are obviously no guarantees we'll take 3 points off the big teams at anfield, and there's now a lot of pressure to win those games.

In the first half, at least we had norwich, fulham, palace, west ham, west brom, stoke, all at home. Bankers.

Looking back at some of your previous predictions regarding how things would go this year (as pointed out by the illustrious POP in the Better team? thread) I'm glad you think things will be more difficult. Keep up your form of getting things spectacuarly wrong and we'll run away with the league.

For what it's worth I don't think it's an issue at all. We'll get at least the same amount of points as we have this half of the season.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2013, 06:07:10 pm »
Looking back at some of your previous predictions regarding how things would go this year (as pointed out by the illustrious POP in the Better team? thread) I'm glad you think things will be more difficult. Keep up your form of getting things spectacuarly wrong and we'll run away with the league.

For what it's worth I don't think it's an issue at all. We'll get at least the same amount of points as we have this half of the season.

Yeah we all saw it coming that we'd be top of the league at Xmas. I can't even remember what I predicted for us this year but it certainly wasn't top 1-3, and many reasonable people would have agreed.

I haven't actually made a prediction in my post now. I was evaluating the difficulty of our fixtures based on the assumption by many that our second round of fixtures are easier than the 1st.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »
I do agree the second half of the season will be a massive, massive test.

The pressure is up tenfold, we're facing injuries and there's less "easy" games. It's going to feel like every game is a final and it's going to be nervy as fuck, you can't expect to go to away games and just win every game, and the big boys at Anfield won't be as easy as some think.

Still think we can do it, especially if we add in january and United/Spurs don't go into title winning form
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
The way some of you shit it every game we play it's a surprise we haven't been in the relegation zone.

Offline Dalglish1892

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
[quoteor=Kop10 link=topic=306719.msg12284120#msg12284120 date=1387994830]
Yeah we all saw it coming that we'd be top of the league at Xmas. I can't even remember what I predicted for us this year but it certainly wasn't top 1-3, and many reasonable people would have agreed.

I haven't actually made a prediction in my post now. I was evaluating the difficulty of our fixtures based on the assumption by many that our second round of fixtures are easier than the 1st.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's exactly what i said - we all thought we'd be top at christmas. I actually would have been pleased with Fifth this year. Regardless, your analysis of various situations/projections have also been proven to be entirely incorrect in many instances, relating not only to us but other teams, over the course of this season. Like I said, let's hope your analysis that the next half of the season is more difficult follows that trend.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:21:04 pm by Dalglish1892 »

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »
Since 2009 this is our best chance of finishing in the top 4 and would be a shame if we missed out on. Not sure the next season things will be going the same.

Merry Christmas all!  :hally

Mate, it's our best chance of challenging for the title as well. We sit top at Christmas, why not have bigger ambitions? If we're still just a few points off first place come the New Year with so many of our hard away fixtures out of the way, then that can only be a good thing.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2013, 06:24:47 pm »
Yeah, that's exactly what i said - we all thought we'd be top at christmas. I actually would have been pleased with Fifth this year. Regardless, your analysis of various situations/projections have also been proven to be entirely incorrec, in many instances, relating not only to us but other teams, over the course of this season. Like I said, let's hope your analysis that the next half of the season is more difficult follows that trend.

At least I have the cahoonas to put forward some analysis and predictions. I don't need to justify my posts or how I support to you or anyone. This season has been a unique season in that nobody would have predicted the randomness of it all - unless you were being wildly optimistic - which PoP usually is.

As I tend to be in the overly cautious camp, I hope to wrong many times over this season, and I happily revise my views as is appropriate and give credit where it's due.

Offline Dalglish1892

• Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
The way some of you shit it every game we play it's a surprise we haven't been in the relegation zone.

It's ridiculous. I'm far from the most optimistic fan out there but some of the shite on here is embarassing. The post above yours for instance,  whilst positive in a sense the constant caveats about other teams is tedious. If Spurs and United embark on a run of title-winning form? What is there to suggest this will happen?  United's two game winning streak, Spurs appointing Tim Sherwood? The way some people go on in here City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, United and Everton will go on to win every game in the second half of the season.

Like it or not, for the first time in years our destiny is in our own hands at this point. No more relying on teams to drop points so we can close a six point gap to fourth, to suffer a poor run of form, for teams to have an off day when we face them. That's for other teams to worry about at this moment in time. Remember how demoralising that false hope was and be glad we are causing others to embrace it.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2013, 06:32:59 pm »

This.

We have our harder aways done this year. The reverse happens next year. The pessimists among us feel next half season is harder than the first; optimists among us feel the next half season will be easier.

So it is.

Maybe we need a pessimist board and an optimist board.

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »

Remember how well we did away from home last season against the lesser sides?? Ie: Newcastle, Wigan, Fulham.... with devastating counter-attacking football! I think we can replicate that in the second half of the season (Sturridge's return will be important - with his power and pace on the counter) and we'll see a great improvement in away form. Home games will be tougher, but I'd rather face the top teams with the backing of the home support, rather than at away grounds. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:42:21 pm by Liverbird27 »

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 07:16:12 am »
I'm enjoying looking back at how far United have fallen so quickly.

I basically said that the worst they could realistically finish was fourth, and in fact it looks like that would be the absolute best they could realistically achieve this season.  The strange thing is, back in June fourth would have been a major failure for them, but such has been the power of the Moyes that he's managed to downgrade expectations to the point where fourth would now be a major success.

Fair play to Liver Lad, that is some predicting skills he's shown there.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:38 am »
This.

We have our harder aways done this year. The reverse happens next year. The pessimists among us feel next half season is harder than the first; optimists among us feel the next half season will be easier.

So it is.

Maybe we need a pessimist board and an optimist board.
I can't decide if I think next year is easier or harder! Based on our away form in the first half of hte season though, I think we are more likely to drop points we shouldn't than take all three from the tough home games...

That said, I think we've seen us turn the corner on that front.  Starting with six points and + 5 goal difference to finish off 2013 :)
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2013, 07:38:32 am »
Remember how well we did away from home last season against the lesser sides?? Ie: Newcastle, Wigan, Fulham.... with devastating counter-attacking football! I think we can replicate that in the second half of the season (Sturridge's return will be important - with his power and pace on the counter) and we'll see a great improvement in away form. Home games will be tougher, but I'd rather face the top teams with the backing of the home support, rather than at away grounds.

Yes - with both Suarez & Sturridge in the line-up we can be a counter-attacking nightmare for a lot of mid/low table clubs.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2013, 07:43:35 am »
Yes - with both Suarez & Sturridge in the line-up we can be a counter-attacking nightmare for a lot of mid/low table clubs.
Sterling won't hurt that either, with a little more composure in front of goal.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:50 am »
Sterling won't hurt that either, with a little more composure in front of goal.

Yup I agree - but the bold part above is the key for me. A successful counter-attacking strategy has to go with high conversion accuracy. Something where Sturridge scores over Sterling - at least as of now that is.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2013, 07:55:18 am »
Yup I agree - but the bold part above is the key for me. A successful counter-attacking strategy has to go with high conversion accuracy. Something where Sturridge scores over Sterling - at least as of now that is.
Definitely.  At least we know that he's got the pace to hurt teams though.  Signs are good that he's pushing for that next level as he's made a few defenders look slow in the last few games.  The confidence he's showing recently is the key for me.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »
Outside the top four I know, but Hull 2-0 united, 12 mins.

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »
Liverland, what a call. All credit to you. As to the second half of the season, it is the same teams again. , with roughly half the games at home. We tend to kick on well in second halves of the season usually as well. The state of the red mancs only adds to the pleasure of the season.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"