Author Topic: 100 Players Who Shook The Kop Returns  (Read 16285 times)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 100 Players Who Shook The Kop Returns
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:26 am »
I always feel so worried about any polls like this that they'll be too dominated by recent players. I think that it's pointless having this as a public vote, it should be a panel of writers, sports historians, and club legends from the coaching side.

The original wasn't dominated by recent players, though. I think this one might be a little more, but perhaps justifiably, given the relative quality of players under Rafa.

In the original, the pattern of the top 10, top 20, top 50 is fairly even - roughly speaking, Paisley's sides are most represented, then Shankly's, then Dalglish's 80's side, then 'current'; with Evans' era just coming ahead of anything pre-Shankly. Only a quarter of the top 25 are remotely 'recent'; 60% are from the late Shankly/Paisley era. Of course it's pretty much inevitable, that pre-Shankly players are going to be sparse. While I take Wooltonian's point, I'm not sure it's even 'unfair' particularly: the players being selected are those that took Liverpool from one of the good clubs in English football, to the undisputed best.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2013, 01:46:19 pm »
While I take Wooltonian's point, I'm not sure it's even 'unfair' particularly: the players being selected are those that took Liverpool from one of the good clubs in English football, to the undisputed best.
Much as I respect what Wooltonian and others are saying, I'd have to agree with this.

Also, all the names in my top 10 I've either witnessed do their thing in their prime with my own two eyes, or else I've been indoctrinated into worshipping as a kid through videos, books, and the tele. Tragically, I never got to see Dalglish play in the flesh, but I sure as hell knew his name and face since I was about 7 (mainly thanks to my uncle determinedly trying to claim my soul for the red half with countless LFC annuals and VHS vids at birthdays & Christmasses)... before I was even that into footy!! Same with Souness and Hansen.

When football finally did get its claws well & truly into me, I had an inherited Kenny poster up on my bedroom wall alongside the likes of Fowler, McManaman and Redknapp, years after he'd retired. But I only really discovered older greats like Crazy Horse and Tommy Smith when I started developing my own interest in looking into LFC's history (particularly the Shankly era) for myself as a teen, so the personal connection there is just not so immediate and keenly felt. And it makes perfect sense, 'cause that just wasn't my generation; I had my own.

I'm certain that enough older generations of voters - and voters of all ages who want to show their appreciation for past legends - will ensure that greats from at least the 1920s-early'60s get a half-decent look in. Polls like this are always gona be strongly influenced by very personal affections, and in a way that's the only really honest way to approach it, to go with your heart. I mean, as per my rankings earlier, Luis Garcia really has no right to appear ahead of the likes of Liddell, Hunt and St John - but he kinda does for me! And anyway, it's only a bit of fun  ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:56 pm »
1   Kenny Dalglish
2   Billy Liddell
3   Roger Hunt
4   Ray Kennedy
5   Elisha Scott
6   Kevin Keegan
7   Ian Rush
8   Alan Hansen
9   Phil Neal
10 John Barnes
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Island-Red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
Steven Gerrard
Kenny
Barnes
Rush
Keegan
Souness
Emlyn Hughes
Alan Hansen
Billy Liddell
Fernando Torres

Lots of winners medals and a newcomer to the league goalscoring record. Liddell is me trusting the oldtimers but for the most part I thought "who has the medals?"

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »
Le Tallec
Pennant
Diao
Gonzalez
Cheyrou
Nunez
Adam
Voronin
Kvarme
Josemi

Biscan
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:25 pm »
I'm going to wait until they do another one next season.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:34 pm »
This is a mind bending thread so so many great players, legends.

Grobelear

Hanson      Carragher        Hyypia       Thompson

Barnes        Gerrard           Alonso        McManaman

Dalglish         Fowler

No intention that I picked 5 Scouser's in this squad.
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »
1 Kenny Dalglish
2 Ian Rush
3 Steven Gerrard
4 Billy Liddell
5 Emlyn Hughes
6 John Barnes
7 Robbie Fowler
8 Alan Hansen
9 Roger Hunt
10 Jamie Carragher
11 Sami Hyypia
12 Graeme Souness
13 Bruce Grobbelaar
14 Fernando Torres
15 Pepe Reina
16 Kevin Keegan
17 Jan Molby
18 Jerzy Dudek
19 Luis Suarez
20 Alan Kennedy
21 Xabi Alonso
22 Ian Callaghan
23 Javier Mascherano
24 Michael Owen
25 Peter Beardsley

There's 25 I had a bit of a think about.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #128 on: February 1, 2013, 10:31:32 am »
I've chosen players who I've seen in the flesh from the days on a milk crate in the old Kopites upto modern day best

1. Steven Gerrard
2. Kenny Dalglish
3. Emlyn Hughes
4. Ian Rush
5. Graeme Souness
6. John Barnes
7. Ian Callaghan
8. Ray Kennedy
9. Alan Hansen
10. Jamie Carragher

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #129 on: February 1, 2013, 10:59:05 am »

Callaghan

At last !

I was foaming at the mouth trying to find his name . It took three pages , three pages for someone to mention him.

Well Done!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Styf

• Lyttle Fyngers
  • Anny Roader
  • You can't buy atmosphere
« Reply #130 on: February 3, 2013, 10:29:58 pm »
I couldn't dream of having him in my top 10, but in terms of shooking The Kop I think it's quite odd we can't vote on Carroll. I would presume if The Kop didn't get shaken with his record breaking transfer on deadline day, then it did in his league-start-debut-at-Anfield against Man City or what about his last minute winner in the FA Cup semi finale at Wembley against Everton? He wasn't a success but you can't say he didn't shook The Kop.
BOUNCEBACKABILITY

Offline cester-the-red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #131 on: February 3, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
I couldn't dream of having him in my top 10, but in terms of shooking The Kop I think it's quite odd we can't vote on Carroll. I would presume if The Kop didn't get shaken with his record breaking transfer on deadline day, then it did in his league-start-debut-at-Anfield against Man City or what about his last minute winner in the FA Cup semi finale at Wembley against Everton? He wasn't a success but you can't say he didn't shook The Kop.

Molby and Razor shook the Kop but I see your point!

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #132 on: February 3, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »
Mascherano, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel perhaps getting in on it?

I'd agree with Suarez being on it, but I fear he'll jump stupidly high on it. He shouldn't be more than 50th yet.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #133 on: February 5, 2013, 02:40:58 am »
Mascherano, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel perhaps getting in on it?

I'd agree with Suarez being on it, but I fear he'll jump stupidly high on it. He shouldn't be more than 50th yet.

And yet people are putting Torres in their top 10
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #134 on: February 5, 2013, 10:24:22 am »
I'd personally have zero problem with Luis ending up somewhere in the top 20, in fact I positively encourage it - there may have been many before him more deserving of those places at this relatively early stage in his Liverpool career, but this is the 2013-edition poll, and Suarez is far & away the most gifted and exhilirating talent we've seen in the shirt for quite some time. Rather than being a nonsense, it's perfectly natural for him to be right up there for this one, like Carra and Garcia were last time; no one can seriously argue that Jamie is one of the 7 best players in our history - I mean, it's pushing it to have him in our top 5 centre backs!! Gerrard shot right in at number 2 with the majority of his best years, performance-wise, still to come (obvs, "world-class local lad captains Reds to European Cup victory" might just have had some marginal influence on the voting in 2006) ;D

If El Ninny finishes in the upper reaches, then that frankly just looks a bit pathetic, however awesome he was in his brief prime for us. And by rights Owen should have obliterated any chance of his featuring in the top 20 again - there are character qualities other than footballing ability to be taken into account for these things. Michael should have been an immortal LFC legend, but he himself ensured he won't be. And least Lawrenson revealed his true cunt form after he retired!
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »
Going through it now before the kick off. Danny Murphy scored some absolute belters - and yet probably the one I remember most was the penalty against United.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du