Author Topic: Error: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged  (Read 11241 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Error: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
« on: January 4, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Hey all, Just downloaded a rather large file and i have got the below error... Which is a pain in the arse with files this size.
Anyway, i have downloaded the file a few times, still the same error.. so the file itself must be damaged.
I have tried to repair the file from within WinRar but with no success..
So, do ye know of any solutions? perhaps burning to dvd with its error correction?
or the painfull task of hunting down this particular part 12 rar file elsewhere online... (i did that successfully for part 8 which had the same error)

Error: "!   .......part12.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
Re: Error: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2011, 07:04:25 am »
Hey all, Just downloaded a rather large file and i have got the below error... Which is a pain in the arse with files this size.
Anyway, i have downloaded the file a few times, still the same error.. so the file itself must be damaged.
I have tried to repair the file from within WinRar but with no success..
So, do ye know of any solutions? perhaps burning to dvd with its error correction?
or the painfull task of hunting down this particular part 12 rar file elsewhere online... (i did that successfully for part 8 which had the same error)

Error: "!   .......part12.rar: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

Not an expert on this,

but
1.is there any chance you missed a part or that you downloaded part 12 from a different site? 
2.maybe you could try using a different unzipper like 7zip (although I doubt it would do anything different).
3.  If it's a particularly large file, then sometimes if you're internet connection isn't the best, then the download can time out (I don't think thats the specific term), and only download part of it.
4.Maybe you could  try contacting the person who made the zip, and tell them.

None of these suggestions may help you though

Sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 07:11:43 am by PJG »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2011, 07:05:55 am »
Clear your cache and try to make sure your internet connection isn't timing out.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2011, 07:13:09 am »
Clear your cache and try to make sure your internet connection isn't timing out.

Does clearing your cache really improve internet connection?  No wonder all my downloads never work.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 07:18:36 am by PJG »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2011, 07:31:36 am »
No but sometimes you go to download a file and it'll pull the cached version instead.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2011, 08:47:01 am »
ill give it a go, was actually thinking of this when i had turned off my pc last night..
It is possible that the first download of part 12 stored in the cache with errors, then subsequent downloads are referencing this screwed version..

To recap on what i had done..
1. tried re-downloading it from same site
2. tried re-downloading from a different site
3. repeated steps 1 + 2 without using the download manager i was using.
4. tried to error correct from within win rar
5. rebooted pc to start from a clean slate.

thanks lads, if ye have any more suggestions keep em coming.

Not an expert on this,

but
1.is there any chance you missed a part or that you downloaded part 12 from a different site? 
2.maybe you could try using a different unzipper like 7zip (although I doubt it would do anything different).
3.  If it's a particularly large file, then sometimes if you're internet connection isn't the best, then the download can time out (I don't think thats the specific term), and only download part of it.
4.Maybe you could  try contacting the person who made the zip, and tell them.

None of these suggestions may help you though

Sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance
1. all options covered
2. possibly, was considering trying it on a mac or linux based OS.. will give that a go later
3. i tried multiple times, so this wouldn't be it
4. maybe :)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »
Does the split archive have any par files? If so you can use something like quickpar to do a repair.

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »
did you download it from a torrent? if so you can force a recheck of the download in your torrent client and it will find the "faulty" part and re-download it.  I have this issue with some tv shows occasionally, it can be frustrating, not sure why it does it, but it is easily fixable.

oh and you do need to stop seeding the torrent before you can check it.
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2011, 06:14:14 am »
No par files...

I downloaded from rapidshare, not torrents.

I cleared cache and so forth, same issue..

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2011, 06:20:57 am »
No par files...

I downloaded from rapidshare, not torrents.

I cleared cache and so forth, same issue..

Do you have a limit on your rapidshare account?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2011, 07:05:59 am »
Do you have a limit on your rapidshare account?
nope.. there is no problem downloading the file. I can only imagine at this stage that the particular file is damaged... But thats where im stuck, is a damaged file repairable... I could change OS's, but i dont think that would make a difference, as it is still WinRar trying to extract.. I could be wrong.. My other option is using an alternative to WinRar

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2011, 06:26:30 am »
It sounds like part 12 is corrupt or you don't have the correct part 12.

If it's a video or audio file and you don't mind skipping a bit, you can tell WinRAR to ignore any corrupt parts and extract the file anyway.  Then when you watch the video, some bits will be blank, or you can skip through the video in your player until some good parts are found and continue watching.

If possible, I would report it to the original uploader that their part 12 is corrupt.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi