Author Topic: We've got a right back called Steve Finnan  (Read 11837 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
We've got a right back called Steve Finnan
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:30:09 am »
…when he plays we’re always winnin’

When signed by Gerard Houllier in the summer of 2003, Steve Finnan was heralded as the best right back in the Premier League. Unfortunately in his first season Steve was unlucky with injuries and suffered from indifferent form which led many Reds fans doubtful whether he was capable to play at right back. Since then, however, Finnan has been an almost ever present in the side, making the right back position his own and has been a model of consistency, taking back his heralded title of “best right back in the league.” When Rafael Benitez joined the club in the summer of 2004, Finnan’s position was in doubt through the signing of Josemi for 2m from Malaga. After seeing off Josemi in the battle for right back, Finnan then found himself up against Jan Kromkamp, who arrived at the club in January 06 from Villareal, in a swap deal for the aforementioned Josemi. Many journalists questioned whether it would be the end of Finnan’s Liverpool career, but Steve kept up his consistent good form and saw the Kromkamp went out the Anfield doors this summer, making him the undisputed champion of the Liverpool right back spot.

This leaves a problem though, Finnan is the only “solid” option at right back, he’ll be an ever present in the side unless he gets injured (touch wood) an with Rafa failing to sign cover, or a possible replacement, in the summer it leaves us short of options in that particular area. We all know the versatility of Jamie Carragher in defence, being able to play all along the back four is impressive, but Carra should only play in central defence where he is at his best – although he’d be adequate cover. The other option in the current first team is our very own right winger/central midfielder/left winger/holding role midfield/second striker/in the whole midfielder and captain Steven Gerrard. Gerrard started his career in the team at right back but progressed into probably the best central midfielder in the world, however he kept Serginho at bay in a little known game in Istanbul back in 2005 sometime (I’m not quite sure) and could certainly do a job. I’m sure we’d all prefer both Carra and Gerrard to play in their best positions all the time, but if needs must they are two emergency solutions.

What other solutions do we have at the club? Lee Peltier played at right back in some pre season games and did pretty well, but the 19 year old reserves regular’s favoured position is central midfield. Would he need to adapt to play at right back for a regular first team place? More importantly, can he? Because of his excellent form during last season for the reserves, Peltier was given a contract extension until 2008, so maybe we’ll see him feature in a few Carling Cup games this year to get a better idea of the lad. Another option within the ranks of the reserve team moved up to Melwood from the Academy this summer. Having captained the youth team to FA Youth Cup success last season, 18 year old Stephen Darby caught the eye during the Youth Cup run last season with some promising performances at right back, defending solidly and getting forward as much as possible, but is probably a few years away from challenging for a first team squad place regularly.

This leaves Rafa with the only other option, to look outside of the club for back up for Finnan – or even a possible replacement. During the summer we were linked with two players, firstly the Brazilian right back Daniel Alves from Primera Liga side Sevilla. Alves has been tracked by Benitez for a few years, and in the past has had clubs like Barcelona after his services, and we were reported to be close to his signature this summer but Sevilla’s price tag of 12 million Euro’s was just a little too much for us. His performance during the UEFA Cup final last season against Middlesborough did him no harm, his excellance on the attack his undoubted but like all Brazilians he can be a little suspect on the defensive side of his game. With the failure to sign him this summer it leaves the option for us to sign Alves in January with the little extra cash we may have then, however from reports coming from Spain it is now believed Real Madrid are his first choices.

Another player who we came within a Stephen Warnock of signing was Lucas Neill, a late deadline day swoop was on the cards, however Blackburn wanted a player in return for their inspirational skipper. Neill wouldn’t have been a popular signing with the fans, many still holding grudges after he broke Jamie Carragher’s leg a few years ago, and with many agreeing the he can be a dirty bastard at times. Barcelona were reported in many tabloids of having an interest in Neill after his excellent performances for Guus Hiddink’s Australia during the World Cup at centre back and Neill’s versatility was most certainly what attracted Rafa to him. The Aussie can play all across the back for, and whilst certainly having a vicious tackle in his armoury he’s quite a competent full back when going forward. It was certain the Neill was never going to replace any of the back four immediately, and at £2 million it was a snip for a defensive cover for the back four, however much to the relief of many reds fans across the World the deal never came to fruition as Rafa wanted to keep hold of Warnock.

Two years from now we have the possibility of bringing back a player who left the club this summer. Antonio Barragan came to the club in summer of 2005 from Sevilla for a fee of £240,000, a promising young right back who was one of the brightest prospects Spain had to offer. Barragan played in a few first team matches before getting injured during his debut season and impressed going forward and certainly looked like one for the future, however first team opportunites decreased as he struggled with injuries during his first season. This summer saw Barragan move back to Spain, joining Deportivo La Coruna after failing to settle on Merseyside, also giving him the chance of some much needed first team action. However the deal with Deportivo included a clause which allowed us to buy Barragan back in two years time if we wanted to for a set fee.

For me though the solution lies in England, in the Premier League. In fact, not far from Liverpool itself, just a little journey down the East Lancs road into Manchester where you’ll see 18 year old Micah Richards of Manchester City play every other week. Having impressed me with his defensive abilities during last season when he broke into the City side, it was whilst watching Match of the Day on Saturday night where I realised just how good he is now, and how good he could be with the right manager guiding him. It was a pacey, powerful run forward in the first half of Saturday’s game where Richards burst into the West Ham penalty area only to narrowly miss from his shot. Strong and powerful in defence, Richards is also quick and uses all his attributes whilst going forward. At 18 Richards is just a rough gem, and under the stewardship of Rafael Benitez he could be polished into the finest right back in England, possibly Europe, he’s a future England international and the way he plays suggests he’s going to become much, much better than what he is now. At the moment Richards would be good cover if Finnan was ever out with injury, and would be an excellent option when Finnan eventually retires, at 30 Finnan possibly has another 3 or 4 good years left in him and with Richards in the squad learning off him and Rafa he’d be the perfect replacement. The stumbling block however may be Manchester City’s price tag, if they’re prepared to let their young starlet go at all. All young British talent is over priced, Richards would probably cost us around 5 or 6 million now which may be the reason why Rafa decides to look elsewhere.

Where will Rafa look? As usual with Rafael Benitez nobody quite knows, but when the January transfer window opens you can be sure that we’ll be linked with every right back under the sun.

© Welshred 2006
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:56:51 pm by Rushian »

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: We've got a right back called Steve Finnan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:51:22 am »
Nice post.

I beleive Rafa said after the Neill saga that Paletta could also play right back.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 11:05:27 am »
Micah Richards is a good player and a fantastic prospect.  I would love to see him at the club but the problem is the same with every top English player; the fee (as you have mentioned).

You can bet that if he were to become available that Chelsea and Man Utd would become interested and the fee would rise to a ridiculous level.  I believe Chelsea have already had a bid turned down.

For me the solution is still Daniel Alves. 

I think in your post you have undermined his defensive ability.  He is a superb defender, did you not see the European Super Cup Final?  He marked Ronaldinho out of the game with an aggressive, high energy approach.  He got tight to him and stopped him turning to run at the defence, which is when he does damage. 

I really do hope that we will be able to get him, even for £12M, as I feel he is super player who can offer so much to the squad.

My only fear is that with the likes of Real Madrid involved the fee will rise above £12M and we will not go for him.

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 11:11:54 am »
Cicinho has done his cruciate and is out for the season. I reckon that will put paid to our chances of getting Alves as Real will do whatever it takes to get him in January and we cannot compete with them financially.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline cheongster

• Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 11:13:02 am »
As much as i love Finnan, i think Alves brings a better attacking play and balance to a team which Stevie has to play inside right.  Unless Stevie plays himself wide right, if not, we clearly lack attacking down the right.
"She always says: ‘I am strong and I'm proud and I'm Scouse'. She knows what this club means to the supporters — and why they're special."   Rafa on her daughter Dec 06.

Offline Fivealive

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 12:08:46 pm »
I watched Micah on Saturday and thought exactly the same,”

Strong and powerful in defence, Richards is also quick and uses all his attributes whilst going forward. At 18 Richards is just a rough gem, and under the stewardship of Rafael Benitez he could be polished into the finest right back in England, possibly Europe, he’s a future England international and the way he plays suggests he’s going to become much, much better than what he is now.”

Looks like a very very good prospect it would have to be a choice between Richards and Alves, it looks as though Alves favours a move to Real and if they come calling it would seem that we would loose the race.

I also saw Micah play us in the youth cup final against us and although this was in a different context he still looked brilliant.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:16:55 pm »
So City have both Richards and Onuoha as bright defensive prospects right?
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 12:18:03 pm »
I think we need, first and foremost, an RB who is defensively absolutely sound. We now have an excellent RM in Pennant and SG if need be.  I am not interested in another RB who is so busy going forward that they leave a gap at the back. As much as I love to watch us attack, our 19th title will be built on clean sheets, that has to be the foundation and the priority.

Alves looks good in defence as well as attack but he doesn't look that good in the air. And most of the attacks we will face, in the English game, are high balls and corners so that has to be a strength in whoever is brought in.   
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline hoffman

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 01:28:29 pm »
Richard's long term future is in the middle of the park - he's quick, with a good touch, and at 18 is already built like Sol Campbell. You'd be wasting his power and physique if you left him out at right back

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 02:13:33 pm »
I watched Match of the day on Saturday & thought to myself wonder if any numpty on RAWK would log on & write that we should sign him.

Thanks for not letting me down  :wave

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 02:35:40 pm »
I watched Match of the day on Saturday & thought to myself wonder if any numpty on RAWK would log on & write that we should sign him.

Thanks for not letting me down  :wave

Numpty how? I've thought about it for a long time, and it's not just Richards I've talked about. I've looked at the reserves, the academy and other options outside the club, I just believe that Richards would probably be the best. If that makes me a numpty then that makes you an idiot. Read the post fully before slating it, and try to come up with some other criticism :wanker

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 02:43:37 pm »
He only has one season left on his contract. Rumours are doing the rounds the he won't sign a new deal at Manchester City. If he was a free agent he'd only cost around £5million in compo and sigining on fee.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 03:13:02 pm »
Numpty how? I've thought about it for a long time, and it's not just Richards I've talked about. I've looked at the reserves, the academy and other options outside the club, I just believe that Richards would probably be the best. If that makes me a numpty then that makes you an idiot. Read the post fully before slating it, and try to come up with some other criticism :wanker

I read your original post, for me it would have had a lot more credibility if it had been posted, the day after the Transfer window closed, as opposed to a couple of days after he appeared to have a good game, against a piss poor west ham team.

I won't be long till chelsea sign him  :P

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 03:16:36 pm »
I read your original post, for me it would have had a lot more credibility if it had been posted, the day after the Transfer window closed, as opposed to a couple of days after he appeared to have a good game, against a piss poor west ham team.

I won't be long till chelsea sign him  :P

Probably would have, but let's give it another twist shall we? It came the same time as Jamie Carragher had to play right back against Spurs and Finnan was pushed up into the right midfield slot showing our lack of cover there. The thread came to me Saturday night, I don't write many articles, in fact this is my second and both of them have come as brainwaves and not pre thought out or anything. I did a little research yesterday so I could right the article this morning, which is what I did and if I'm going to be called a numpty then I'll probably not bother writing another one again.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 03:39:15 pm »
Being called a numpty is hardly the worst thing in the world is it? I'm a grown man & can handle being called an idiot by you.

I'm only letting you know what I thought on saturday night. Yes he looked a good player, but I'd like him to play like that all season before we consider signing him.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

I'm only letting you know what I thought on saturday night. Yes he looked a good player, but I'd like him to play like that all season before we consider signing him.

He played like that for most of last season too, when he originally came into the City team because of injury and performed so well that he kept the original right back (Chinese bloke, can't remember his name) out of the team. I'm not saying he's a brilliant player now, he's a good player, but under Rafa he could become the best right back in the world

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:20 pm »
He played like that for most of last season too, when he originally came into the City team because of injury and performed so well that he kept the original right back (Chinese bloke, can't remember his name) out of the team. I'm not saying he's a brilliant player now, he's a good player, but under Rafa he could become the best right back in the world

Think you may be getting ahead of yourself with the 'could become the right back in the world' talk - good prospect undoubtly but has a lot to learn before even been considered a solid player mines a world class prospect
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 04:01:33 pm »
Think you may be getting ahead of yourself with the 'could become the right back in the world' talk - good prospect undoubtly but has a lot to learn before even been considered a solid player mines a world class prospect

Agree with that, he might well become a class player but he could quite easily become the next Dean Richards, Richard Wright, Kieron Dyer, Chris Perry, Ben Thatcher, Stephen Hughes .....I could go on but these are some of the names being touted as must have players when Houllier first arrived with his foreign legion. I'm sure there's some foreign kid out there who's just as good at probably a third of the price.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 04:40:23 pm »
Glen Johnson!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 04:52:58 pm »

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 05:02:12 pm »
who knows what swoop Rafa The Gaffa will pull off in the next transfer window?? he is very unpredictable with his signings and i think that Richards would be a good signing as he is young and already full of power and pace and hes built like a brick shit house!!

Offline BigV

• Legacy Fan
  • Fight on!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 06:25:18 pm »
I think we need, first and foremost, an RB who is defensively absolutely sound. We now have an excellent RM in Pennant and SG if need be.  I am not interested in another RB who is so busy going forward that they leave a gap at the back. As much as I love to watch us attack, our 19th title will be built on clean sheets, that has to be the foundation and the priority.

Alves looks good in defence as well as attack but he doesn't look that good in the air. And most of the attacks we will face, in the English game, are high balls and corners so that has to be a strength in whoever is brought in.   

Full-backs need to be able to do both, being purely defensive or not being able to defend at all is as bad as each other.  In fact, to get the best out of any wide midfielder, they need a good full-back, someone who is comfortable with the ball and can bring it forward, offer an outlet either side of the midfielder and is able to get the ball into the danger area, as well as being able to hold the back line and cover the centre-backs.  When you look at the best full-backs of recent times, they had that allround ability, Thuram, Maldini, Cafu, Cole etc. Finnan himself is pretty competent allround, I wouldn't personally say he's the best in the league, but he's up there. 

I think Alves shoudl remain our top priority although he will be expensive.  Richards too is a good prospect, as is Gilbert who's just been loaned out from Arsenal.  We do need an extra man there, it's really thin and hopefully when the window opens, we'll see someone arrive.

Offline Saracen Salcano

• Would like an identity
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 06:27:13 pm »
He's so low key sometimes i think Steve Finnan doesnt exist.
COBRA KAI NEVER DIES

Offline CalvinMalteseRed

• The lighter way to enjoy football
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 06:28:43 pm »
Which other positions does he play in? I haven't seen much of him, but know he's got the strength of an ox. Exciting prospect, at his age, you cannot predict how he will improve, but the strength he has is not of a player of his age. He can go on to be as good as Carra, or reach the level of players like Francis Jeffers.
OH CAMPIONE
THE ONE AND ONLY
WE'RE LIVERPOOL....

THEY SAY OUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED, WE'RE NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE
BUT SCOUSERS RULE THE COUNTRY LIKE WE'VE ALWAYS DONE BEFORE...

Shankly built a football team that shook the spion Kop!
We've conquered all of Europe and we're never gonna stop!

JFT96
Free Michael Shields!
Don't buy the s*n

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 06:35:21 pm »
Which other positions does he play in? I haven't seen much of him, but know he's got the strength of an ox. Exciting prospect, at his age, you cannot predict how he will improve, but the strength he has is not of a player of his age. He can go on to be as good as Carra, or reach the level of players like Francis Jeffers.

I think he can play at centre back as well, but Pearce is playing him at right back and he seems to be effective there for City. Like you say he's as strong as an ox for a 19 year old, he's also pacey and a competant tackler and passer. Don't think he'd improve to the likes of guaranteed first choice England internation at the likes of Man City though and would need a top manager and coach like Rafa and Pako Ayesteran to finely polish him into one of the very best. I think he has the potential, although interesting that you do mention Jeffers.

Offline BigV

• Legacy Fan
  • Fight on!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »

He can play at centre-back, on the wing or in central midfield.  He's got the potential to be someone special and he looks like he's got that drive in his personality too.  He reminds me of Kolo Toure more than anyone else.

I would prefer Alves who's better on the ball and has a bit more experience but wouldnt be disappointed if we got Richards.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 06:44:56 pm »
Thought the Valencia RB - Miguel - looked excellent last night against Barca..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 06:45:32 pm »
Thought the Valencia RB - Miguel - looked excellent last night against Barca..

He is excellent as well, not just last night.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 06:46:51 pm »
He is excellent as well, not just last night.

Unlikely to be sold to us though, unless relations between Rafa and the Valencia board have improved with the signing of Morientes for them? How old is he? What are his qualities?

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 06:48:18 pm »
i'd love him here. long term, i reckon he'll either be a centre half or a centre mid. he's so strong and dominant already even at 18, and he's not half bad on the ball.

seems like a bit of a big time charlie though.

Online Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 06:58:28 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of Alves, but my understanding is that he can play both RB and RM. That kind of solution would be the best thing for us at the moment. It's either that or a promising young RB. The reason I want us to go for a RB/RM is that we only have Pennant who is a natural RM. Both Gerrard and Garcia can play there too, but a RB/RM would be the ideal thing for us.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline The Jackal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 06:59:45 pm »
Unlikely to be sold to us though, unless relations between Rafa and the Valencia board have improved with the signing of Morientes for them? How old is he? What are his qualities?

He's 26 according to Skysports.

Only seen him in that one game, but it was an excellent display. Has pace and power, strong in the tackle and comfortable on the ball. his positioning seems sound, and he appears to know when to join the attack and when to stay. Basically seems to have everything you would want in a RB...

As I say though, that's only 1 opinion from 1 game..

Given his apparent quality, not sure how willing he would be to 'share' RB duties with Finnan though...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 07:01:54 pm by The Jackal »

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 07:15:14 pm »
Miguel is a quality right back and he is very good going forward, he got his international breaktrough during the Euro 2004 when he replaced Paulo Ferreira after their first match of the tournament when Scolari made a few changes to their back four because of some personal mistakes in the first match.

Our Benfica friends could certainly fill us in, but I`m not sure if they will say many nice things about him because of the way he left the club.

Here is his profile from the World Cup 2006, where he was first choice for the Portugal team on RB.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/187204_MIGUEL.html

and here is a goal for Valencia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72uhZoSRA3w
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline The Jackal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 07:22:04 pm »
Very well taken goal - yes, I didn't realise he was the same Miguel who plays for Portugal.. he is a very good player.

Doubt Valencia would consider selling as apparently they only signed him last year...

Offline ivardj

• Boys Pen
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 08:33:48 pm »
Aren't we starting silly season a little early? We do lack cover at right back, but starting to speculate on who and when and what this early is a little, erm, speculative, don't you think?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:06 pm »
Nice piece, mate. That Richards is a great player, but can't see anyone prising him away just yet.

I thought Kromkamp was excellent in his two appearances at right back last year (see the RAWK threads on Charlton and Man City games), so was surprised he left - although his form this season was shaky, as it was for PSV the other week.

I wonder if we'll go back in for Lucas Neill. He's a tough bastard, and a winner, but is certainly not better than Finnan. Does Rafa go for someone who's happy to stay as cover, or look to improve on Finnan, whose consistency is pretty legendary?

Offline Fred Madison

• Jazz saxophonist, now masquerading as a mechanic after probably murdering his wife.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 09:10:59 pm »
I think Rafa would surely be in for a player more polyvalent than Finnan, but excellent/natural at the right-back-position. Both Neill and Alves would do, although I'd prefer the Brazilian.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »

I look forward to the return of Barragan.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
I'm going to be called a numpty then I'll probably not bother writing another one again.
Please do - I enjoyed it very much

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 10:19:23 pm »
Please do - I enjoyed it very much

Simple minds ;)

Am quite honoured that it found it's way into opinion though :D Must have been a slip of the mouse from the delete button ;)

Aren't we starting silly season a little early? We do lack cover at right back, but starting to speculate on who and when and what this early is a little, erm, speculative, don't you think?

Fantastic first post, I must applaud, silly season would probably be me going

"We gota sign Mica Richards from Man C cos he iz klass like." Instead of a well thought out article. Now shwsh
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:24:27 pm by Welshred »