Author Topic: Classic Games for under £4 (Xbox mainly, but join in PC and PS3 owners  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
I rejoined the console fraternity towards the back end 2008 purely and simply to see what this 'Call of Duty Modern Warfare' fuss was about. The last time I had owned a console was when I had the N64 and PS1 working in tandem playing games like Super Mario, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and the original Gran Turismo. It’s fair to say that once I came back, it permanently changed the way I now spend my leisure time. Being a complete noob, I was torn several new assholes as experienced COD'ists took advantage of my inability to reload a gun, complete lack of understanding of map points, inability to build a killstreak of 3 and worst of all, the combination of shiteness and addiction - meaning I wouldn't stop playing even though I kept getting pummelled!

It was the start of my love affair with the Xbox360, and I've not looked back since. It did strike me earlier this year however, that the only games I was playing were COD and Footy games (PES mainly although latterly FIFA) and that there were a world of games out there with graphics and gameplay that could still amaze me, yet may still be anywhere from 1 - 6 years old.

I then decided to explore the world of the cheap classic game, using Ebay as the main retail point, and only ever bidding a maximum of £4 (combining purchase price and postage) for any games I could find.

It's opened up my eyes to some absolutely great games out there, all available for less than a pack of fags. Now most experienced gamers will have already played these games, but if there are guys out there like me, who joined the whole console generation a bit late, this thread could prove useful. For example, Assassins Creed 2 was a game I picked up for £3 and enjoyed so much that I went out and bought Brotherhood for nearly full price.

Of course you get some duffers, but that's half the fun, and when it only costs you a bit of small change, you really don't lose anything selling it on again. I should say, I don’t really watch any games forums (RAWK’s the only one I have time for), and I don’t read game magazines so for me it’s a mixture of pot luck, intuition and word of mouth that leads me to the hidden gems – hence this thread.

Since I started, these are the games I’ve bought, played and loved for under £4

Ashes Cricket 2009 – strangely addictive and good fun if you’re a cricket fan.
Quantum of Solace – brilliant game for £2.50! Felt like a Goldeneye flashback.
Bioshock 2 – hadn’t played Bioshock so knew nothing about this until I played it. AWESOME game. I went out and bought the original Bioshock straight after but haven’t got round to playing it yet.
Assassins Creed 2 – bit of an easy one, but like I said, I didn’t even know about it.
Batman Arkham’s Asylum – Wow. What a bargain.

And just bought this weekend but not played yet
Crackdown   £2.75
Tom Clancy’s Endwar   £3.60
Far Cry 2   £3.69

So the purpose of this thread is to not only highlight which games you’ve bought for less than £4 (not a fiver, that’s too easy!) and loved, but to highlight which older games you’ve played that the likes of me could look out for and buy.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
Got these on Steam:

Team Fortress 2:  Free.
Terraria:  think minecraft in 2d.  A good little indie game, I think it was under a fiver.
May contain irony.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
great thread mate!! didn't know you could find such bargains on ebay!!

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorrow
Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
If anything you overpaid for Far Cry 2 :P

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
quantum of solace was epic!

crackdown is brilliant as well, but the second one was shit :(

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
yeah I picked up Batman, what a game, didnt expect it to be that good
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
If anything you overpaid for Far Cry 2 :P

Balls! Ah well, like I said, there's bound to be some duffers.

I just got PG4 for £2.10 and Don King's Prizefighter for a quid so I think I need to stop this latest splurge. I've got more than enough until all the big games come out again in November.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Speedy Gonzalez

• is really rather very slow actually
  • Kopite
  • El Pistolero
Age Of Empires 2 PC I dont know the price but you could get it from amazon for about £1 or less.
★★★★★ Kings of Europe ★★★★★

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Got these on Steam:

Team Fortress 2:  Free.
Terraria:  think minecraft in 2d.  A good little indie game, I think it was under a fiver.

Team Fortress 2 is free ?  That's a superb game, I used to play that non-stop, even bought the crappy PS3 Orange Box version. 

Offline binge

• Kopite
Re: Classic Games for under £4 (Xbox mainly, but join in PC and PS3 owners
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Platinum (PS3) (Preowned) - £2.98 @ Game with delivery

http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Racing/~r347417/Gran-Turismo-5-Prologue-Platinum-Preowned/
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 09:38:40 pm by binge »

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: Classic Games for under £4 (Xbox mainly, but join in PC and PS3 owners
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »
Steam Sales:

Hearts of Iron 3 for £3.74
 Europa Universalis 3 'Complete' for £2.49
 Europa Universalis Rome Gold for £1.74

Grand real time strategy games set in ww2, medieval and ancient eras respectively. I got all 3, and love all 3.