Author Topic: Javier Mascherano - Guilty as Charged?  (Read 23221 times)

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
Javier Mascherano - Guilty as Charged?
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:29:23 am »
Liverpool and Argentina’s 23 year old centre midfielder stands accused;

Accused by some of his own side’s supporters of naivety.

Accused by the bandwagon-jumping lynch mob in the English mass media of, variously, cynical ignorance, verbal incontinence and slack-jawed stupidity.

Accused by referee Steve Bennett of dissent and refusal to leave the field of play.

Accused by the Football Association of Improper conduct because of this, and now facing an extension of, we’re told, two games to the automatic one match ban served in today’s Merseyside derby victory.

It is difficult in the midst of a sanctimonious feeding frenzy to maintain some perspective; perhaps the facts would help. Javier Mascherano was sent off for two yellow cards. The first was for a moderately bad challenge, similar to the one Paul Scholes wasn’t booked for early in the same game and arguably not a lot worse than several of the fouls Rio Ferdinand committed and was unpunished for. Certainly not in the same league as the high, studs up leg-breaker that Ashley Cole perpetrated which started all of this.

In other words, it was a reasonable booking.

Later in the half Fernando Torres (victim of the aforementioned ‘treatment’ administered by Rio Ferdinand) decided enough was enough and had the temerity to ask Mr. Bennett why he was failing in his duty of care to, as Mr. Ferdinand’s manager put it so succinctly just two weeks and one agenda earlier, ‘protect skilful players.’ He asked him. He didn’t run over to him waving his fists. He didn’t push his nose in his face. He didn’t appear to swear, rant or even dissent in a prolonged way. He merely and understandably got fed up with the robust approach and requested and explanation as to why there had been no yellow card.

He got his answer – the requested yellow card was brandished, but in his direction.

At this point Mascherano, who had, admittedly, been contesting decisions (not especially aggressively) throughout the half, clearly felt a very keen sense of injustice. He had been booked for a fairly heavy challenge, but when his centre forward asked why the same censure did not apply to the opponents, Torres, rather than the perpetrator of the challenge, was booked; Mascherano’s frustration was obvious and understandable, and he ran over to ask Mr Bennett, and I quote, ‘what’s going on?’ His body language – palms turned upwards, smiling – was questioning, supplicant, sarcastic at absolute worst. His question and tone seemed reasonable. He certainly did not repeat the ugly, contemptuous body language of Ashley Cole, and he certainly was not as disrespectful to the referee as Messrs Ferguson and Queiroz were a mere fortnight earlier.

But, he did question the decision, showing ‘dissent by word or action.’ So, by the letter of the law, he did deserve a yellow, and therefore, a red card.

So why all the fuss?

The reason why Mascherano was affronted by the red card, and many supporters bemused by it is that the ‘letter of the law’ as regards to the dissent rule has never been applied in any team sport. Clearly players of all codes show, ‘by word or action,’ disagreement with refereeing decisions. Every appeal for a throw in or corner, offside shout, raising of the eyebrows, sideways glance should, by the letter of the law, result in a yellow card. All sports clearly have a tacit agreement between officials, players and governing bodies that a level of dissent is tolerable.

In Rugby Union this level is not much at all. In Association football, it is a shed load.

Or it has been.

Javier Mascherano’s level of dissent was not worse than the level of dissent erstwhile England captain John Terry and his regular representative committee of team mates have engaged in, with few cautions, again and again in virtually every game they have played this season. Nowhere near as aggressive as often seen practised and unpunished by Wayne Rooney. Nowhere near as scornful as Ashley Cole turning his back on Mike Riley.

The really interesting thing is that none of the baying hounds of the press appear to disagree with this assessment. They just seem to believe that, since Ashley Cole’s puerile disdain for authority everyone realised that ‘things are different now.’

No rule change or directive, you understand. No communiqué from the FA Premier League to suggest that the tacit level of acceptable dissent had been changed. No letter from the chair of the Professional Game Match Officials Board. No Phone call, fax, official announcement. Crucially no official sanction for Ashley Cole. Just a vague ‘respect’ campaign and a lot of coverage in the mass media, especially Sky Sports News.

Apparently Mascherano ‘should have realized’ that there had the kind of ‘change of climate’ that gets Al Gore animated enough to make dull movies.

And clearly they were right. The media does indeed drive and communicate the agenda rather than the Football Association and it is at liberty to decide which are the important issues facing football at any particular time.

This perhaps explains the apparent and somewhat troubling inconsistencies like, for example, protection of skilful players from physical treatment (players like Christiano Ronaldo or, oh I don’t know, Jose Reyes) is most important one week, but why an unprotected skilful player’s frustration is disgraceful a couple of weeks later. It explains why ‘simulation’ was, not too long ago, the most pernicious evil facing humanity and a continental scourge on a par with rabies, yet can now be waved on by a referee who is subsequently lauded as a hero for dealing with dissent.

It explains why the FA and the referees it employs are inexplicably inconsistent, and why certain clubs and managers seem to be treated better than others by officials and official bodies. The media matters far too much and some people are better at manipulating it to suit their purposes.

So before I answer the question of whether I believe the Liverpool midfielder to be guilty I feel there are more eminent people who should stand accused.

Mr. Ferguson is guilty of rank hypocrisy for demanding protection for his skilful players then employing a more than robust approach to Liverpool’s. In fairness, though, he’s just doing his job to the best of his ability, unlike the other parties I accuse.

Steve Bennett is guilty of narcissism. I say that because I believe the motivation for making such a momentous and controversial decision was not a desire to alter, in the long term, the level of tolerable dissent, or to increase the respect for match officials – if I believed that I would applaud him. If he continues to consistently punish that level of dissent, if, when the 'respect' wind stops blowing, he has the courage to send off a John Terry or a Wayne Rooney in similar circumstances, I will change my mind. I just don’t think he will. I believe he sniffed this week’s zeitgeist and wanted to be publicly lionized as the man who stood up to the horrible, greedy, spoilt, disrespectful little children that the media tell us footballers are. When a referee is more bothered about his own image than fairness or consistency he becomes a liability. Bennett, to me, is just such a referee.

Worst of all, though, are the FA. They are guilty of spinelessness for failing to provide any sort of leadership and allowing themselves to be dictated to by the media. It has been patently obvious that dissent has been an issue in football for many years. Manchester United themselves have a long history of very aggressive dissent, although in more recent years have been eclipsed by other clubs. Chelsea’s level of dissent, and, in particular, Terry and Cole’s, has, this season alone, led to at least two referees being bullied into poor decisions and subsequent suspensions (Rob Styles and Mike Riley). They have also had at least two club fines for failing to control their players (These fines were always going to be very effective; apparently their multi-billionaire owner was irate with his playing staff as he had set aside the fine money for the redecoration of the guest bedroom on his third yacht)

Having repeatedly failed to attempt to deal with this obvious problem in the game, and, despite ample opportunity, refusing to effectively sanction the worst offenders, the FA have jumped on a media bandwagon and chosen to make an example of a young, foreign player and a club with no track record of this sort of behaviour. This is cowardice, abdication of responsibility and scapegoating of the worst kind.

So is Javier Mascherano guilty of dissent and improper conduct? Yes, this week, maybe next. Definitely not two weeks ago and probably not in two weeks time.

Naivety, stupidity, madness? Undoubtedly. Not because he didn’t understand the mood of the media, because, quite frankly, without an official communication, he shouldn’t have to. No, he was foolish to think he would be treated even-handedly by that ref, on that ground, with that FA.

Guilty as charged.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:51:42 am by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline El Torres gol

• Anny Roader
  • Rest In Peace The 96 YNWA
Re: Javier Mascherano - Guilty as Charged?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:22 am »
Great article
How the media in this country are so influential is a disaster in the making.
Brucie, Brucie what's the score?......................Brucie, what's the score?

Offline reds88

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:28 am »

The Premier League and FA haven't shown consistency and courage against the antics of Ferguson, Mourinho and their teams before.  What happened to the latest investigation against Ferguson? 

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:48 am »
The Premier League and FA haven't shown consistency and courage against the antics of Ferguson, Mourinho and their teams before.  What happened to the latest investigation against Ferguson? 
two wrong dont make it right , and mascherano was an idiot , look at howard webb today a stronger referee who would have warned masch off but mr bennett we all know what this referee is all about so masch should have been clever instead of being a total dope .

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:50 am »
Well put...

Can we have him go with Masch to his personal hearing..;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:35 am »
Well put...

I'm sure I can get the day off if they ask!
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline slyweezle

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:47 am »
On a side note, does anyone have any updates on the FA's decision of whether to punish Masch further than the 1 match ban? Cant seem to find anything on this.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:05:11 am »
On a side note, does anyone have any updates on the FA's decision of whether to punish Masch further than the 1 match ban? Cant seem to find anything on this.
He has apologised and pleaded guilty, but requested a personal hearing. He is going to get his comeuppance on Thursday.

Offline Matts

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:11:16 am »
Guys, his sneding off was laughable, however the charge relates to his actions after his sending off. By and large, thats where he stuffed up
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:26:52 am »
Guys, his sneding off was laughable, however the charge relates to his actions after his sending off. By and large, thats where he stuffed up

It does, but dodgy sending offs have always been followed by a bit more dissent and, until the recent media frenzy, noone had additional disciplinary for what Masch did last week.

My issue with the whole thing is that the FA have moved the goalposts without any sort of official communication, and everyone seems to think that's ok because the 'mood' was different that week- is it therefore acceptable for the media to dictate the agenda to officals and official bodies or can players expect these officials and bodies to communicate directly with them/their clubs if something has changed in the way games are to be refereed?

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:35:21 am »
fa are shithouses. the lot of 'em

the fa?

shit 'em.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:54 am »
Mascherano is boss.....definately GUILTY :wave
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:12 am »
Red, quite possibly one of the best posts I've ever read on the raging hypocrisy festering away underneath the skin of our national game. Puts so-called writers and journalists to shame. It's actually made me seeth with anger and indignation, and would love for the club to take this particular bull(shit) by the horns and deconstruct the entire farce in a similar way. sadly however, they'll just plea-bargain against an extension to his 1-game ban.

p.s. Knowing your employer as I do, I would love to see an equally damning indictment on those particular failings and those similarly responsible ;)
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:56 am »
He has apologised and pleaded guilty, but requested a personal hearing. He is going to get his comeuppance on Thursday.
Sadly the predetermined nature of that 'comeuppance' line is no joke. Foregone conclusion. The sanctimonious old farts cannot back down now, the disgraceful media campaign pillorying Masch has tried, judged and sentenced him. And we will just bend over and accept it.

:no
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:05:49 am »
p.s. Knowing your employer as I do, I would love to see an equally damning indictment on those particular failings and those similarly responsible ;)
I don't think my pc has enough memory!

Offline Matts

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 03:33:07 am »
Red, I understand what you are saying and yes Masc has been hounded. Its all been over the top, only problem for us is that he's left the FA with very little other choice. They might think tht his sending off was a joke and with the media up roar going round at the moment they have to set an example, or atleast be seen to be doing something..

I love Masch, but it was stupid of him to keep going, shrugging off team mates and all that, glad he stood up for himself and Torres, though
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 05:31:41 am »
Good article. Can masch produce it in his hearing?
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Shabado

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:21:05 am »
In fairness, Masch's extra 2 game ban is for not leaving the field of play, which is fair enough.

He'd have a lot more sympathy all around (and he still has a bit) if he'd just shook his head and walked off.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:23 am »
In fairness, Masch's extra 2 game ban is for not leaving the field of play, which is fair enough.

He'd have a lot more sympathy all around (and he still has a bit) if he'd just shook his head and walked off.

What extra 2-game ban? As far as I know, he has accepted the charge for not leaving the field, but they haven't decided how many game will be his punishment.  If he misses more than Arsenal, it will be a fucking joke.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 07:08:47 am »
great post couldn't agree more,well all apart from Al Gore being dull ;D
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline CheesyRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 07:22:05 am »
The thing I hate most about this whole situation is how the FA will never criticise their referees.  There must be a long list of capable, experienced refs out there who would kill to work in the premier league, yet when one of them makes a huge mess of things the FA just brushes it under the carpet and blames the players that got fucked over.

If Masch can get fined and banned from the game for a period, why the hell arent Refs?  The FA seem to treat them like they're important but they are EASILY replaceable, and its not like its that hard a job anyway.

Its like a corrupt boys club where you only get a break from your pals..and liverpool..being the honest, honourable club, dont play the politics and mindgames well enough to get treated nicely.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:06 am »
Will I do think that referees need to be more respected and better treated, it is very unfortunate - and leaves a feeling of unfairness - that the punishment would befall a player and a club not known for constantly hassling referees. As you say, it seems a bit hypocrite. Were I a defense lawyer I would show pictures of Chelsea or United players hounding a referee and then show Mascherano's dismissal straight after. While it would not excuse him of refusing to leave the field, it certainly lends strength to his claim that he could not believe he was being dismissed, and for what. One would hope that the FA takes this into consideration.

there should also be some more room for the referee to make a decision. He can today choose either a free kick or a freekick with a yellow (or red) card. A more sliding scale would be good, with perhaps the option of moving the ball 10 meters forward for dissent, or sinbins like they have in rugby.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:01:54 am by suede lady »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 08:11:20 am »
Great post. The people saying Masch should have done this or that are missing the point. The referee was responding to media pressure and he shouldn't have. It's fucking scandalous that the referee, the person who is meant to be the independent and unbiassed arbitrator should behave like that.

There was plenty of worse dissent yesterday - one Everton player (can't remember who) was so vehement in his dissent towards the linesman, that the lino had to wipe the spit off his face!...  Yellow card?... of course not. Simulation?.. Yakubu's dive was so obvious it was embarrassing...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 08:16:47 am »
I said this before.

If Bennett now needs to book EVERYONE that talks to him.
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 08:25:29 am »
Two wrongs don't make a right so he'll get a ban for being silly after being sent off but the double standards dealt out to us are annoying. We're the cleanest team in the Premiership and were getting hung out to dry for John Terry, Wayne Rooney, et al.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:44 am »
... with the media up roar going round at the moment they have to set an example, or atleast be seen to be doing something..
That is the whole point of the article, though. The FA should do something because it is the right thing to do, not because of the media uproar. And then apply it as consistently as they can until such time as they officially communicate a change in law or interpretation.

What you are saying is tantamount to allowing the media to decide what goes in football. Given the fact that certain clubs are good at manipulating the media this is pretty dangerous. It also opens the door for Italian style corruption.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:29 am »
First time I'v ever stood up and applauded a post.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:47 am »
The FA are guilty of Match-fixing.

That is the simple truth.

Ferguson asked for the refeee BY NAME (Twice) and the FA Provided the referee for the game that Ferguson asked for.

It's as simple as that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 09:28:54 am »
Well put...

my thoughts as well
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:33 am »

Ferguson asked for the refeee BY NAME (Twice) and the FA Provided the referee for the game that Ferguson asked for.

It's as simple as that.

I think that sums up my thoughts on this subject.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 09:53:47 am »
Can't disagree with a very good post.

The only thing I would say was that Masch didn't do himself any good by repeatedly telling the ref to fuck off after the first booking. I would imagine Bennett had his card marked after that. Happens all the time I know, but if someone was telling me to f. off then I would be lying in wait for the next incident.

The FA/PL need to do something to make the rules more consistent....but they won't.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 09:56:12 am »
Liverpool and Argentina’s 23 year old centre midfielder stands accused;

Accused by some of his own side’s supporters of naivety.

Accused by the bandwagon-jumping lynch mob in the English mass media of, variously, cynical ignorance, verbal incontinence and slack-jawed stupidity.

Accused by referee Steve Bennett of dissent and refusal to leave the field of play.

..edit..

Naivety, stupidity, madness? Undoubtedly. Not because he didn’t understand the mood of the media, because, quite frankly, without an official communication, he shouldn’t have to. No, he was foolish to think he would be treated even-handedly by that ref, on that ground, with that FA.

Guilty as charged.

Thank you for this excellently written work. Allegedly Brian Barwick is a Reds fan, why not forward it to him and wait and see if his enormous vacuous head will take any of it in, as we never seem to have anyone batting for us within that debauched gravy train called the FA. Football Association? Pardon me, but I can think of much better euphemisms.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 10:14:01 am »
Well written and excellent post. Clarifies and distills the issue very well indeed.
Yep.

Offline Calixta

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:35 am »
I agree. Consistency is the key. Decisions made in real time are never perfect...perhaps for both Masch and Bennett in this case, although like everyone else, I think the red card was uncalled for and was influenced by the media at the time because although Mascherano did go over, it seemed he was just asking the question - not that the ref was ever going to change the booking though. Not leaving the field of play is another matter though.
...chase this light with me...

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 10:43:28 am »

It's as simple as that.
Didn't know that, VERY shocking to find that to be the case.  They should NEVER bow to this sort of demand, but have never seen this subject raised with the media???  :wanker

Good post btw, only thing he's done "wrong" was not to sprint down the tunnel after his red like an olympic 100m runner as some would like him to do  ::)
SoS #364

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56:11 am »

It's as simple as that.

Premier League are responsible for picking the refs not the FA, Tubby Barwick is a buffon but this is nothing to do with him.

Whisky Nose gets away with this sort of shit all the time, look at their game against the noses last year howard (who was transferred in the January window thus a nose not Utd player) wasn't selected because of a 'gentlemans agreement' between Whisky Nose and Moyes, can someone explain how this is not 'third party influence' over player selection?

The media do nothing about it becuase they know any critiscism will see them effectively banned from Utd, as the BBC are.

I have often thought Rafa should be this ruthless with more idiotic end of the press that plague us
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:02:41 am by Camina Camina »
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 12:18:53 pm »

It does, but dodgy sending offs have always been followed by a bit more dissent and, until the recent media frenzy, noone had additional disciplinary for what Masch did last week.

I think the last player to have a ban extended for not leaving the pitch was Patrick Viera. The venue - OT. The ref - Steve Bennet. Think it was when he didn't touch horseface who rolled round like the cheating twat he is.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:01 pm »
I think the last player to have a ban extended for not leaving the pitch was Patrick Viera. The venue - OT. The ref - Steve Bennet. Think it was when he didn't touch horseface who rolled round like the cheating twat he is.
Don't know if that's true, but the point is well made. I can't believe that the feeling with many appears to be 'he didn't leave the pitch so he's getting his just desserts' as if it's the norm. Players often argue and moan when sent off, but they are almost never sanctioned for it.

This is just another example of media driven goalpost shifting. At least Bennett's was a snap decision (although I do think he premeditatedly decided he was going to go all medieval on dissent) but this is the FA, in the cold light of day, behaving transparently inconsistently because of a week of Sky Sports News and Daily Mail outrage.

What annoys me more than anything is our own fans falling for the media brainwash and accepting he has it coming.

Offline TK

• Main Stander
  • JFT96 YNWA
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 12:39:39 pm »
fuck about - quality thread la.

Well written indeed.

For me, we need to also shed a thought for Liverpool's discipline record on the whole and not just this isolated incident, cause thats exactly what it is - an isolated incident largely fueled by a very poor 90 mins from a ref. So bad that people have been led to believe that corruption is rife. I think this is our first red of the season - im sure we had very few last season, on the whole we are NOT a dirty team. We dont harness the ref, we dont play dirty, we dont try and influence the game with war of words - we just get on with it.

I think the FA do need to clamp down, anything within the whole football world should respect the rules and the custodians of the "beautiful"   game.

But this should not come at the expense of any player or any team, as again this will fuel further speculation of possible "fixing"

The Fa need to review all matches where teams \ players \ managers have all gone to far, off and on the pitch. Every club, every game, every incident needs reviewing, use that as the basis for a better more respectful environment for both the players and the officials.

There also needs to be a review of this, an independent board of people consisting of people who know the game and have no bias - independent.

The next step should be a review of the rules and technology. Perhaps more in line with Rugy - if you mouth off - you get penalised 10 yards, 3rd ref to make a call. This doesnt detract from sports who use a third "touch line" judge to make calls - in fact the opposite - it adds to the atmosphere and gives people more time at games and more value for money.

I think there is far too much money in the game now for the rules to be absolutely water tight and consistent - ensuring that no one player, team or manager gets any benefit - or at the very least no argument for corruption. OFC there will be human error, and always that small element of chance, but if there are more refs, more rotation (hate that word) and technology - no one can point the finger, no one gets "the run of the green" and its opens up the playing field.

My two pence.

Offline watyeonaboot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 12:42:01 pm »
Possibly a longer post than a dissertation but it's obvious Masch was made an example of. It really pisses me off that other players were swearing their heads off at the weekend and nothing happened to them. Let's have some consistency.

As for anyone slagging off Rafa fuck off and support Chelsea you horrible c*nts