Author Topic: Mamadou Sakho asked for ban, say UEFA - (Update - Cleared)  (Read 55774 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Mamadou Sakho asked for ban, say UEFA
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:38 pm »
If this was cut and dried, it would have been done by now. You wouldn't have a ban run out with no resolution. That just shows that UEFA doesn't know what to do.

There is very little doubt they screwed up somewhere and now are grasping at straws....

None of that follows. It's your spin on the situation, whereas the likelihood is that there are legal discussions between UEFA and Sakho's legal team. This is a potentially complex issue that could set precedents for anti-doping policies within UEFA's area of influence and potentially for anti-doping worldwide. The list is WADA's not UEFA's so I have no doubt that WADA will be involved in the discussions.

You may not be interested in the chemistry but it's a fundamental issue for anti-doping bodies who are constantly trying to deal with new doping methods and ways to circumvent the rules. If this allows a loophole then the dopers (and they are out there) will use it to their advantage.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2016, 06:02:07 pm »
Completely agree with this.

I’m struggling to understand how there is any ambiguity around whether Higenamine is a beta-2 receptor agonist. There are in vitro beta-2 assays that can be utilised to understand the pharmacologically activity of Higenamine. Whether it is a beta-2 agonist or not should be relatively easy to define. I can’t see this being the reason why this is any ambiguity around it usage.

Whether Higenamine has performance enhancing properties is probably ill-defined through a lack of evidence. And this is where some of the ambiguity may be coming from.

My understanding is the debate is about the delivery method and whether Higenamine in tablet form acts as a beta-2 agonist in humans. There are plenty of drugs that work at molecular level but don't have a viable delivery method in humans. A good example are drugs that work at a molecular level for IPAH but simply don't have a viable delivery method at the moment.

WADA have cautioned against use of Higenamine and placed it on the advisory list. Whilst they can show in theory that Higenamine could possibly aid performance, without a viable delivery method and without proof that it is performance enhancing in humans they would open themselves to huge legal problems.

The other problem is that Higenamine is a naturally occurring product used in Asian cookery so they would presumably have to set a limit for the amount of Higenamine that is allowed in a sample.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline An Ex-Pessimistic Monkey Spanker

• As optimistic as his last post and climax. Statistical and analytical studies of Actual Or Potential Girlfriends reveal.......probably fuck all......we're sure he'd gopher one though.....thinks this profile belongs to him.
  • Anny Roader
  • I love whining about my profile being tweaked!
    • Statistician Mother Ship
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2016, 02:26:37 am »
None of that follows. It's your spin on the situation, whereas the likelihood is that there are legal discussions between UEFA and Sakho's legal team.

I'm sure there are. Because UEFA screwed up. If they had their ducks in a row, there wouldn't be any need for discussions or negotiation or whatever wrangling is taking place.

As for it being "spin", all I can say is I'm well educated in organizational behavior as well as behavioral science in general.

UEFA is not acting at all as an organization with the courage of its conviction. They're acting quite like an organization in a pickle and trying to deal with their quandary.

The Sharapova case was different totally. She admitted she took the substance, just didn't know it was banned even though it was on the list. She was provisionally banned (wasn't allowed to expire) and then very expectedly given a ban. 

Here Sakho was suspended then now he's not but he effectively still is under sanction because the case hasn't been resolved yet, which means UEFA isn't able to resolve it because they've messed something up. So they're hedging by allowing the ban to expire but not clearing him.
Battling Hodgson-esque Stone Agers since 2016!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:23 am »
My understanding is the debate is about the delivery method and whether Higenamine in tablet form acts as a beta-2 agonist in humans. There are plenty of drugs that work at molecular level but don't have a viable delivery method in humans. A good example are drugs that work at a molecular level for IPAH but simply don't have a viable delivery method at the moment.

WADA have cautioned against use of Higenamine and placed it on the advisory list. Whilst they can show in theory that Higenamine could possibly aid performance, without a viable delivery method and without proof that it is performance enhancing in humans they would open themselves to huge legal problems.

The other problem is that Higenamine is a naturally occurring product used in Asian cookery so they would presumably have to set a limit for the amount of Higenamine that is allowed in a sample.

They're all good points Al. As I said earlier, I don't know much about this molecule, but a cursory search didn't suggest that there was any data available for studies at human beta-2 adrenergic receptors, which could mean that this molecule has never been tested at human beta 2 receptors. If that is the case, then Sakho's legal team may have a point in saying that this molecule couldn't be considered as a human beta 2 agonist in the current absence of data.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:40:12 am by jooneyisdagloomy »
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:47 am »

Thanks for the explanation and further information. The main premise seems to be that there is a lack of data and evidence to link Higenamine to displaying performance enhancing properties.

If Higenamine is the substance in his case then I'd assume this lack of clinical evidence is the basis of Sakho's argument against a ban. Given WADA have cautioned against the use of the substance and placed it on it's advisory list you've got to think Sakho has been naive in the extreme to get himself in this situation. And I'm being kind calling him naive.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
Are we there yet ?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:01 am »
As for it being "spin", all I can say is I'm well educated in organizational behavior as well as behavioral science in general.
Errrr...........you couldn't have learned much cos you've shown little else than a tedious superiority complex on this site, in every thread you've posted in, and attempted to paint yourself as an expert on. well, everything. I have no doubt that you are educated......but you clearly are not capable of implementing effectively whatever learning you claim to have derived from previously said disciplines. Try another website. Or planet.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2016, 02:31:24 pm »
This is getting ridiculous, we have to wait roughly another three weeks to find out about a possible ban for sakho.

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2016, 03:09:55 pm »
Incompetence at its peak
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2016, 03:14:33 pm »
Incompetence at its peak

That's a bit harsh - Sakho took something he shouldn't have but it was probably an error, not incompetence.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2016, 03:16:26 pm »
That's a bit harsh - Sakho took something he shouldn't have but it was probably an error, not incompetence.

I thought the latest was he took something that wasn't on the list, so it wasn't banned?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2016, 04:10:15 pm »
This is crazy, why does it take this long to sort this out? Are the UEFA chaps all busy watching the Euros? :)

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 02:25:08 am »
I thought the latest was he took something that wasn't on the list, so it wasn't banned?

The rest of the thread is educational on this, particularly the contributions from Alan and Al. My summary is that what he took was covered on the list, but his legal team's argument is that it shouldn't be.

I imagine the threat of being sued means UEFA are very keen to take all the time needed to come to the right decision.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2016, 02:37:28 am »
This is crazy, why does it take this long to sort this out? Are the UEFA chaps all busy watching the Euros? :)

Most likely

Offline WanderingRed

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2016, 10:06:54 am »
From what I can gather Sakho questioned whether the substance should have been on the banned list and UEFA must have agreed to some extent as they launched their own investigation into the substance which is ongoing.

The ban wasn't extended as UEFA decided to start this investigation into the substance. The reason why it is taking so long to close the case if they want the findings of their investigation.

I'd imagine if they find that it should be banned then Sakho would be suspended again.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2016, 11:03:16 am »

Well they're probably all getting drunk on champagne in the director's boxes...

I'd imagine if they find that it should be banned then Sakho would be suspended again.

Perhaps.  The length of the investigation suggests, to me at least, that even if they decide the substance is correctly banned there was enough ambiguity at the time that they decide not to extend Sakho's punishment - but that in future with the situation clarified a player would be punished accordingly.

On the other hand, banned is banned.  If he's knowingly taken something that was on the banned list they might still decide to make an example of him.  UEFA is so incompetent it's hard to judge how the situation will pan out.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 04:15:01 pm »
Oh I'm not sure about that..

Ambiguity isn't ever considered to be their fault.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »
Any updates on when the next proceedings will take place? If he gets a suspension will it be served from the time he began the voluntary suspension? In that case hopefully he only gets 6 months and misses only a few months of the start of the season..
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »
Any updates on when the next proceedings will take place? If he gets a suspension will it be served from the time he began the voluntary suspension? In that case hopefully he only gets 6 months and misses only a few months of the start of the season..

Start of July at some point apparently. And it's likely it would be back dated to the date he started the initial ban, but who knows with UEFA.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 1, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2016/07/01/sakho-is-brilliant-mama-opens-school-for-people-with-disabilities-in-senegal/?utm_content=buffer66a23&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Mamadou Sakho could be forgiven for feeling sorry for himself this summer.

Our centre-back was provisionally banned after taking a fat burner last season, missing the culmination of our campaign (including a Europa League Final…) and Euro 2016 with France as a result.

Instead of holidaying in exotic destinations like his counterparts do, and separating himself from the outside world, Sakho’s engaged himself in countless charity work instead.

SEE MORE:
Mamadou Sakho UEFA ban update; hearing date named

Today, he unveiled the opening of his school for children with disabilities in Senegal – the country where his parents are from.

Since arriving at Liverpool, he’s taken part in countless community run activities, and does so with a smile on his face. He’s a tremendous ambassador for our club and the game; and we truly hope his lawyers can successfully argue the substance he ingested shouldn’t have been on the banned list in the first place.

UEFA will let Sakho know his fate soon.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #101 on: July 1, 2016, 06:40:21 pm »
well, whenever they are ready, no rush like.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 1, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »
well, whenever they are ready, no rush like.

Taking the piss now really.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 1, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »
This is an utter fucking disgrace. Pre season starts tomorrow, the season next month and we still dont know if we'll need another CB or not! And more importantly the player himself hasn't got a clue whats going on!

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 1, 2016, 07:01:39 pm »
Can he start pre season as not suspended?

Although guess none of this time now will be included in any future ban apart from the month Uefa granted him.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 1, 2016, 07:04:47 pm »
A fucking joke how blasé UEFA are being about a young lad's career. Leaving him in limbo like this, the club should press hard on the issue.

It's been really heart-warming stuff seeing him help out those less fortunate though, top bloke.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 5, 2016, 11:51:47 am »
Sakho <3
YNWA.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 5, 2016, 11:59:26 am »
Has Sakho returned to pre-season training? He is still posting pictures of his charity work and I don't think I've seen any pictures of him in training.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 5, 2016, 12:07:11 pm »
Has Sakho returned to pre-season training? He is still posting pictures of his charity work and I don't think I've seen any pictures of him in training.

he already has. Pictures has been posted on his social media. My guess is there wont be any official photos of him till the issue with uefa is sorted out.

No reason for Uefa bigwigs to delay their coke and orgy party in france for such a trivial matter. :P

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 5, 2016, 12:12:42 pm »
he already has. Pictures has been posted on his social media. My guess is there wont be any official photos of him till the issue with uefa is sorted out.

No reason for Uefa bigwigs to delay their coke and orgy party in france for such a trivial matter. :P

I haven't seen any on his Instagram page, I'm not on twitter so I have not seen if he has posted any on there, can't see any on Facebook either. A bit odd but as you say the club may have taken certain measures to keep him out of the pictures. 

(Just seen he has posted a pic inside the changing room at Melwood)
« Last Edit: July 5, 2016, 12:17:24 pm by Ratboy3G »
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #110 on: July 6, 2016, 02:45:47 am »
If (Fowler forbid) he received a ban, would this be backdated to the start of/to include the original 1 month ban? 

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #111 on: July 6, 2016, 06:49:45 am »
If (Fowler forbid) he received a ban, would this be backdated to the start of/to include the original 1 month ban? 
It would be.

This will be why he hasn't returned to training..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 6, 2016, 07:44:27 am »
I'm quite sure Sakho was includede in the pictures from pre season training. He is there.

I am not sure how they will backdate it. If he is guilty they are likely to include the one month ban, but it is far from sure that the summer will be included. It should be, seeing as he was almost certain to be included in the French squad.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #113 on: July 6, 2016, 09:12:15 am »
I don't care what anyone says, I believe this has been handled badly by UEFA.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #114 on: July 6, 2016, 09:13:32 am »
I don't care what anyone says, I believe this has been handled badly by UEFA.

That's just a given really, it is UEFA after all.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 6, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »
Easy to blame Uefa but not sure they have done much wrong. Whatever the result tomorrow seems its a complicated issue & will be sorted only a few months since the positive test. Its very unfortunate he was missed a final for us & a home Euros but he took the risk going against the very clear school like guidelines provided by the governing body.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #116 on: July 6, 2016, 12:21:50 pm »
Easy to blame Uefa but not sure they have done much wrong. Whatever the result tomorrow seems its a complicated issue & will be sorted only a few months since the positive test. Its very unfortunate he was missed a final for us & a home Euros but he took the risk going against the very clear school like guidelines provided by the governing body.

I think it's hard to say either way (that Sakho went against those guidelines, or that UEFA have done anything wrong) at the moment given we know practically nothing.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 6, 2016, 12:28:19 pm »
He's going to get hit for a year isn't he, and in cases like these do the players always not use the clubs lawyer's?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #118 on: July 6, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
He's going to get hit for a year isn't he, and in cases like these do the players always not use the clubs lawyer's?

No the issue is between the player and UEFA, so they'll use their own. Although they will likely be in contact with the clubs over certain issues.

Plus I doubt the club's lawyers specialise in dealing with such issues, so better getting a specialist on board.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 6, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »
He'll get a ban but shouldn't be bad. 6 months i reckon. Would have probably been a year. But he's missed a lot of games already because of it which should be taken into account.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker