Author Topic: Leicester City  (Read 25595 times)

Offline 6 Euros

• Soon to be worth about a tenner!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Leicester City
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:41:34 pm »
                                                                           Leicester City

Leicester City FC
King Power Stadium

Capacity: 32,500 (all seated)
Address: Filbert Way, Leicester, LE2 7FL
Main Telephone Number: 0844 815 6000
Main Fax No: 0116 247 0585
Ticket Office: 0844 815 5000
Ticket Office Fax No: 0116 229 4404
Club Nickname: The Foxes
Pitch Size: 110 x 76 yards
Year Ground Opened: 2002
Shirt Sponsors: King Power
Kit Manufacturer: Puma
Home Kit Colours: Blue and White
Away Kit Colours: Gold and Navy
Official Web Site: www.lcfc.co.uk

What's The King Power Stadium Like?   

In August 2002 the club moved into its new home, only a stone's throw away from their old Filbert Street ground. Then called the Walkers Stadium, it was renamed the King Power Stadium in 2011, under a sponsorship deal. However some of the home fans refer to it as 'Filbert Way.' The stadium is completely enclosed with all corners being filled with seating. The sides are of a good size, built in the same style and height. The Upton Steel West Stand though on one side of the pitch does contain a row of executive boxes. The team dug outs are also located at the front of this stand. Running around three sides of the stadium, just below the roof, is a transparent perspex strip, which allows more light and facilitates pitch growth. There are also two large video screens located in opposite corners of the stadium.

Like most new stadiums, the King Power Stadium is functional but lacks character. I don't know whether I'm starting to suffer from 'new stadium fatigue' having visited so many in the last few years, but to me it seemed somewhat bland looking both inside and out. Unusually the public address system is also broadcast on the speakers around the outside of the stadium. The King Power Stadium does have one redeeming feature - atmosphere. The acoustics are very good and both sets of supporters can really make some noise, making for an enjoyable visit.

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?   

Away supporters are housed in the North East corner of the stadium, where just over 3,000 fans can be accommodated. The view of the playing action is good (although you are set well back from the pitch) as well as the facilities available. The concourse is comfortable and there is your normal range of hot dogs, burgers and pies available. There are television screens on the concourse showing the game going on within the stadium. My only slight grumble was that the gents toilets are poorly designed. They have a narrow 'zig zag corridor' of an entrance which hindered people coming in or out and didn't help the major traffic flow at half time! On the positive side though, the atmosphere within the stadium was good, with the home fans singing on both sides of the away section. The atmosphere is further boosted by a huge bare chested drummer, who is located at the back of the home section, immediately to the left of the away fans. The stewarding was also pretty relaxed. The teams come out to the Post Horn Gallop tune, reminiscent of fox hunting!

Where To Drink?   

The ground is walkable from the city centre (15-20 minutes), where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Most of the pubs near to the stadium are home fans only. In particular 'The F Bar' should be avoided by visiting supporters, plus the 'Symphony Rooms' located just over the road from the away end. On a brighter note there is the Soaring Eagle Spur Steak and Grill, which has a bar which admits away fans. It also has the added advantage of having BT Sport available. It is located next to the Holiday Inn Express just across the road from the Club Superstore

How To Get By Car & Where To Park

Leave the M1 at Junction 21, or if coming from the Midlands, follow the M69 until the end of the motorway (which meets the M1 at Junction 21). Take the A5460 towards Leicester city centre. Continue on this road, until you go under a railway bridge. Carry on for another 200 yards and turn right at the traffic lights into Upperton Road (sign posted Royal Infirmary) and then right again into Filbert Street for the stadium.
Allow yourself a little extra time to get to the ground as traffic does tend to get quite congested near the stadium.

Recently a number of 'Residents Only Parking' schemes have been implemented on streets off the A5460 Narborough Road and Upperton Road, near to the ground, which means that street parking now has to be found further away from the stadium. You can park on side streets off Narborough Road but located  further back in the direction of the outskirts of Leicester that you will have travelled through, (if approaching from J21 of the M1) but this may then mean a 20+ minute walk to the King Power Stadium.

Alternatively you can park at Leicester Rugby Club (£3) which is a ten minute walk away from the stadium. Dan Willatt a visiting Nottingham Forest fan advises; 'The Police close a number of roads around the stadium for up to 40 minutes after the final whistle to allow fans to disperse. We parked at a car park located in Filbert Street, but in the end in took us well over an hour in queueing traffic to get away from the ground. It may be best to consider parking further away from the stadium if you want a quick exit.' This official car park in Filbert Street has to be pre-booked with the Club and costs £15 per car.

By Train   

The train station in the city centre, is situated around 1.5 miles away and is walkable from the ground. This should take you around 25-30 minutes. Please note that there is normally a heavy Police presence around the station.

A walking route to the stadium is signposted from across the road from the station. Come out of the station entrance and cross the road in front of you. Turn left and then go right along a pathway that runs beside and looks down on the Waterloo Way ring road. Continue straight along this pathway for around half a mile and you will reach a small park on your right (Nelson Mandela Park). You will clearly see behind it 'Welford Road' the impressive looking home of Leicester Tigers Rugby Club and diagonally beyond the ground you should be able to make out the steelwork above the top of the stands of the King Power Stadium. Either walk around the park on your right or walk through it and on reaching the main road on the other side, cross over at the pedestrian crossing and with the rugby ground immediately in front of you turn left. Walk past the rugby ground on your right and continue straight along this road, then taking a right turn into Almond Road. Pass the Counting House pub on your left and at the T-junction turn left into Aylestone Road. Take the next right into Raw Dykes Road and you will reach the stadium and away supporters entrances in front of you.
Remember if travelling by train then you can save on the cost of fares by booking in advance. Visit the the trainline website to see how much you can normally save.

Admission Prices For Away Fans   

Like a number a clubs Leicester categorise matches (A, B & C) whereby the more popular matches cost more to watch. Category A prices are shown below with Category B & C prices in brackets.

Away Fans are housed in the North East Corner:
Adults £40 (B £36) (C £19)
Over 60's/Under 22's £35 (B £32) (C £19)
Under 18's £25 (B £24) (C £12)
Under 12's £10 (B £10) (C £5)
Under 8's £8 (B £8) (C £1)

Programme & Fanzine

Official Programme: £3.
The Fox Fanzine: £2.50.

Record & Average Attendance   

Record Attendance:
At the King Power Stadium
32,188 v Real Madrid
Friendly, July 30th, 2011.

At Filbert Street
47,298 v Tottenham Hotspur,
FA Cup 5th Round, February 18th, 1928.

Average Attendance:
2013-2014: 24,990 (Championship League)
2012-2013: 22,283 (Championship League)
2011-2012: 23,037 (Championship League)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:52:03 pm by 5 Euros »
"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent." Bob Paisley on the Kop

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
Re: Leicester City
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2014, 09:00:13 am »
Parked at Leicester Tigers ground.

Fiver and close but a nightmare getting back onto M1 took about 30-40 mins.

The ground is right next to the old Filbert Street so although its new its in an old ground area which is a pain in the arse travel wise

Offline King Kenny Play

• Legacy Fan
  • "Oh Istanbul is wonderful,oh Istanbul is wonderful
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »
Parked at Leicester Tigers ground.

Fiver and close but a nightmare getting back onto M1 took about 30-40 mins.

The ground is right next to the old Filbert Street so although its new its in an old ground area which is a pain in the arse travel wise
Parked for Free in Street opposite The Huntsman Pub...back on the M1 in 5 mins
"The people who come to watch us play, who love the team and regard it as part of their lives, would never appreciate Liverpool having a huge balance in the bank. They want every asset we possess to be wearing a red shirt."

‘Football is like a piano. You need eight people to carry it, and three people to play the damn thing!’

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2014, 08:30:31 am »
Parked for Free in Street opposite The Huntsman Pub...back on the M1 in 5 mins

Thanks, I'll bare that in mind if they stay up.

Note to anyone: don't park at the rugby ground.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:35:11 am »
For any fans travelling back to London on the train, the last St Pancras service is at 2158. Makes walking back to station in time difficult unless you leave the match early, run/walk fast or pre-book a taxi from slightly further outside the ground. It gets busy right outside with lots of police. Got 1 last season and just made the train.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 07:58:08 pm »
Any recommendations for the ale beforehand?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:30 pm »
The  Counting house pub about 5 mins walk from the ground was decent last season

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:41:27 pm »
Driving to this again.

Parked at the Rugby ground and it was a nightmare last year, any pointers for quick getaway?

Offline wosman

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:44:13 pm »
Swan and Rushes great boozer 10 minute stroll away

As for parking pick a side street off Narborough Road a bit further south from the ground, Narborough road runs straight down to the M1 junction

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »

As for parking pick a side street off Narborough Road a bit further south from the ground, Narborough road runs straight down to the M1 junction

Thanks for this

Offline lfclfclfclfclfc5

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »
Driving to this again.

Parked at the Rugby ground and it was a nightmare last year, any pointers for quick getaway?
I  parked in a car park behind morrisons was ok quite cheap if I remember aswell

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2016, 10:49:16 pm »

Away-friendly?

Offline wosman

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »
Away-friendly?

Yeah, good mix of fans. Went last season and was great. Nice selection of real ale if thats your thing

Offline lfclfclfclfclfc5

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »
Severe traffic jam couple a mile off junction 16 been in it for about 1 hour hardly moved. A500. :no :no :no :no
« Last Edit: February 2, 2016, 03:06:15 pm by lfclfclfclfclfc5 »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Leicester City
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
Will head over to this Swan and Rushes. My mates son plays in goal for the Leicester under 11s so went down their version of Melwood. Helicopter and everything. I'm in a home pub so need to move!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »
Yeah, good mix of fans. Went last season and was great. Nice selection of real ale if thats your thing

Nipped in for one - was vastly more home than away but seemed friendly enough and had loads of ale taps on.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »
Thanks for the Narborough Rd parking tip, at least one positive from the night!
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »
Thanks for the Narborough Rd parking tip, at least one positive from the night!

Was going to say this.

Was on the M1 within minutes

Took me forever last year - tip: do not park at the Rugby ground if you need the M1

Offline wosman

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 03:32:58 pm »
No worries chaps, hoping for a better result next season!

Decent away

Online redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 09:54:14 am »
Weres everyone heading for a beer today pre match

Offline aliverbirduponmychest

• Kopite
  • A team that plays total football.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:30 am »
The Counting House is the nearest pub to the ground. Lets away fans in. Right next to the Morrisons.
SoS membership number 4158
JFT 96

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2018, 06:47:00 am »
Went by car, always found parking a problem at Leicester so parked up at east midlands parkway, then train 2 stops, cheaper than a car park outside the ground, and no traffic issues after the game .
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline AP823

• Kopite
  • Ap Singh - @ApSingh823
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »
Went by car, always found parking a problem at Leicester so parked up at east midlands parkway, then train 2 stops, cheaper than a car park outside the ground, and no traffic issues after the game .

Normally park at a car park behind Counting House pub, but as we were running a little late, parked in a car park off Havelock Street then less than 10 min walk to away end - was handy
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
Rafa Benitez

Offline rednose54

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2018, 08:05:08 am »
Normally park at a car park behind Counting House pub, but as we were running a little late, parked in a car park off Havelock Street then less than 10 min walk to away end - was handy
Thanks for that but I`ll go East midlands again >If Forest were to come up it would be another goer for me as well.

« Last Edit: September 7, 2018, 08:07:26 am by rednose54 »
LIVERPOOL FC SHOULD NOT PLAY A GAME OF FOOTBALL ON THE 15TH APRIL.

NOT THIS YEAR OR ANY YEAR.

Offline Garycarney44

• Kemlynite
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2022, 03:57:49 pm »
Went for the community shield game parked in side street Somerville Road Of Narborough Rd on right hand side heading  in just before the KFC on the left, 15 min walk to stadium, after game and  presentation walked past all the traffic, back to  car two min to M1 back home for 21:15 without any hold up