Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 73065 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2014, 07:32:04 pm »
I'm rather fond of these Satdee evening kick-offs....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
Surely their high pressing will benefit us considering we usually smash teams best when we counter?

Obviously our defence has been slightly shaky but i think if Coutinho has a good game, he will have the opportunity to feed the likes of suarez and sturridge through behind the defence.

Lets just see :)

This works as long as we are happy with the ball under pressure at the back, we will need to pick our passes better but this is where Gerrard can thrive. Southampton press high and push on their fullbacks whilst we sit deep and counter, it will be a very interesting battle.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #322 on: February 26, 2014, 07:35:16 pm »
I'm rather fond of these Satdee evening kick-offs....

I guess the lads will know how Chelsea and Arsenal have faired earlier.....
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Haresy77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »
I'm not approaching this one with as much trepidation as I should. Feels like we are very different side to the one that lost there last year and what happened at Anfield this season was one of those days when we just got it wrong - these seem to be more of a distant memory now but yes I know we can soon be reminded.

Everything suggests that this is the type of game that will suit us. Southampton will fancy it and come at us so we should be able to exploit that. Could be a very similar performance to Totenham although five goals without reply might be a stretch too far.

I think we'll take a 2-0 with Suarez getting back on the score sheet. Would be mad if he went 5 games without a goal - time to get back amongst it Luis!!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:13 pm »
I don't really feel confident for this game. It certainly isn't going to be easy and I think we will need to really be on our game. The danger is that now we are pulling clear of 5th spot then we may be looking at the future and take our eye off this game. We need to be 100% committed to each game and although this is obvious it doesn't happened automatically.

I hope Rodgers is talking about really pushing for top spot with a win at all costs attitude rather than thinking that fourth spot is secured which it clearly isn't.

I'll be relieved after we win this one.
#JFT97

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2014, 08:14:52 pm »
None of the remaining games are going to be easy anyway. Unless the other team decides they are already beaten and gives up. As long as the players do their best, can't ask much more from them

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »
Cliche as it is, they are all cup finals from here on in. That's the mentality we need to adopt.

Just can't afford to take anything for granted at this stage. Leave it all on the pitch so when we look back, we can have no regrets no matter what the outcome is.

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:23 pm »
Interesting to see how Clyne plays. Hope we're looking at him :)
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:42 am »

I'd be delighted with him. Very fine young player, as is Shaw on the other side.

Offline Kalessin

• Boys Pen
  • Red since 69, and of the Liverpool Irish family
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:52 am »
As has been said every game is a cup final from here but Southampton, like Swansea, have a pressing and passing game that I think is a particular challenge for our team.  There's pace and energy all around the pitch and no obvious gaps for counter-attacking thrusts, and - as someone else pointed out - their game will put pressure on our back line ball retention and use.  The fact it's away from home and NOT one of the "big" teams also adds to the equation.  For them it will be a welcome home match as they have been on a run of away games ... not good.

But - there are a few basic things we have in our favour.  Our best players are really good - and they are better than their best players; they will have to deal with Luis, Daniel, Philip, Raheem and Stevie as well as playing their own game.  We have something to play for - and the team HAS shown character (a will to win, a resilience under pressure). 

First goal is critical in a game like this.  If we get it, we can bring them forward and get them to force the game, and create space and opportunity.   If they get it, they can concentrate on possession and we will find it difficult. But I've seen them dominate games and not score, and after a while things open up and they can lose a little shape and belief, so even 0-0 after 50 minutes isn't a bad platform.

They drew against Arsenal and Man City; they lost against Chelsea and Tottenham.  They won away at our place.  They're no mugs, so in the real world a draw wouldn't be a bad result.  But this season, it's win or bust - we'll know by kick-off whether Chelsea, Everton or Arsenal have made up ground, so the pressure is intense.  I am hopeful, nervous, believing, unsure, but we have a chance. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:48:48 am by Kalessin »
‘If Liverpool did not exist, it would have to be invented" Felicien de Myrbach

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2014, 01:25:33 am »

An Arsenal ITK suggested we'd already tied up a deal for around the 16M mark. Pinch of salt stuff, I'd say.

Agree with Melbred. Every game is a cup final from here on in. In my opinion if we can do Southampton and United, I firmly believe we can win the title. Call me crazy, but I wholeheartedly believe it's a possibilty if we can take 6 points from our next two.

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر
« Reply #331 on: February 27, 2014, 01:30:24 am »
An Arsenal ITK suggested we'd already tied up a deal for around the 16M mark. Pinch of salt stuff, I'd say.

Agree with Melbred. Every game is a cup final from here on in. In my opinion if we can do Southampton and United, I firmly believe we can win the title. Call me crazy, but I wholeheartedly believe it's a possibilty if we can take 6 points from our next two.

was that the same arsenal ITK on the man city forum?!
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2014, 01:56:24 am »
Is Gary Mac still available for a contract until the end of the season?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:08 am »
was that the same arsenal ITK on the man city forum?!

Yeah, think it was.

Offline NGreat

• Kopite
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2014, 02:50:44 am »
I doubt he will play. Calum Chambers has been playing ahead of him recently.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2014, 03:15:02 am »
http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/02/splitting-possession-into-offensedefense/

Latest Statsbomb article is a real eye opener. I had no idea possession was calculated as a percentage of passes made. Note that the “defensive” possession of Southampton is the highest in the league – a solid 2.7% above second place Tottenham. I read that as meaning that Southampton is the team that allows opposing teams the least freedom to pass in the league, by a pretty big margin. In fact it’s pretty much a statistical outlier.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #336 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:36 am »
Thursday morning.

I'm nervous already. Come on!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #337 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:37 am »
Is Gary Mac still available for a contract until the end of the season?

I recall John Barnes scoring a long ranger against Southampton when I was younger! I had to sit tight and wait to watch the football ;D. Then I waited, and John Barnes smashed one in from long.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:10:56 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: February 27, 2014, 06:24:55 am »
This game just smells of being massive - a real marker can be laid down in the title run in to tell the rest of them we are here for the long haul. It's the kind of game that prospective champions win.

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2014, 06:59:56 am »
Southampton, really, are we that worried!!!! I know our record is not that good recently against them, but we are Liverpool and should not be scared of them, fuck em, drop either Sterling or Coutinho, play either slightly in front of Hendo, Gerrard and Allen, so they can make a four when defending, but link the attack on quick counters, Sterling proved he could do it last week with that ball for Sturridge's goal
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2014, 07:14:16 am »
Southampton, really, are we that worried!!!! I know our record is not that good recently against them, but we are Liverpool and should not be scared of them, fuck em, drop either Sterling or Coutinho, play either slightly in front of Hendo, Gerrard and Allen, so they can make a four when defending, but link the attack on quick counters, Sterling proved he could do it last week with that ball for Sturridge's goal

Potentially the toughest match left in the schedule to be honest. We've been awful against them and we're playing away. I'm more confident to get 3 points in the Chelsea and City home fixtures.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:49 am »
Later kick off will help imo. We have had some rather sluggish performances with earlier kick offs.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2014, 08:16:36 am »
Later kick off will help imo. We have had some rather sluggish performances with earlier kick offs.

Later kick off put pressure on the team especially if rivals have all picked up results.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #343 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:29 am »
We could win this ( an ITK )  ;)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: February 27, 2014, 08:25:45 am »
Later kick off put pressure on the team especially if rivals have all picked up results.

Hopefully they will drop some
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:19 am »
Like I say every time:

Guys, don't forget, we go into this game with a +1 Daniel Sturridge goal handicap.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:13 am »

Have we?

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:33 am »
Whos the ref for this one?

Hopefully not that bald, manc knobhead thats done us over more than enough times this season

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:10 am »
Whos the ref for this one?

Hopefully not that bald, manc knobhead thats done us over more than enough times this season

Lee Probert.

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2014, 09:24:01 am »
Does anyone know if their back four is pacy? If not I think we will punish them on the counter. With them playing a pressing game, I'm sure BR is gonna set us up for counter attacking play..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2014, 09:27:45 am »
Have we?

Yeah we were positively half asleep when we kicked off against Arsenal the other week.

Offline stststst

• Anny Roader
  • We won it 5 times..
« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2014, 09:36:34 am »
Does anyone know if their back four is pacy? If not I think we will punish them on the counter. With them playing a pressing game, I'm sure BR is gonna set us up for counter attacking play..

Clyne and Shaw have a decent amount of pace mate

I think for pressing and pace reasons I think Suarez Sturridge Sterling is the way to go up top.. People are forgetting Sterling can unlock a defence even when Cout isnt playing, would be a good option to have off the bench if needs be

Offline Adamski LFC

• Kopite
  • Polymath, ... I think not
    • Dash Equestrian
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:27 am »
Clyne and Shaw have a decent amount of pace mate

I think for pressing and pace reasons I think Suarez Sturridge Sterling is the way to go up top.. People are forgetting Sterling can unlock a defence even when Cout isnt playing, would be a good option to have off the bench if needs be

Agree, Coutinho looks like he could do with some bench time being replaced by Allen which in turn gives Gerrard and our back four some protection.  Later in the game we could hook Allen as the game opens up for Coutinho to do some damage alongside Henderson and SASAS.  It will be tough but I firmly believe we can take this one.

Hoping not to embarrass oneself should not be the ultimate aim when posting

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2014, 10:32:31 am »
Yes Allen plays and we take out Coutinho / Sterling.  Agger plays.  Flano LB and Johnson RB. 

Just go at them from the 1st minute.
We won it 6 times

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2014, 10:35:45 am »
ah St Mary's...can only recall one win there, Heskey header, otherwise its been pain after pain, Crouch, Riise og, Southampton away even at the Dell was always a tough fixture for us, remember being 3-0 up and pegged back to 3-3 in the treble season.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:07 am »
Biggest game for the club since Athens.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #356 on: February 27, 2014, 10:47:40 am »
Lee Probert.
Oh ffs. That's this game utterly ruined by sheer fucking incompetence
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #357 on: February 27, 2014, 11:20:56 am »
Biggest game for the club since Athens.

Potentially. It'll be that way if we win and then go on to do well in the final 10 games.

At the moment it's definitely a big game but not bigger than the FA Cup semi versus Everton a few years back.

I know it's a big game because it's Thursday morning, I'm sitting in work with loads to do but the only thing I can think about the game. Definite sense of excitement and nervousness already.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #358 on: February 27, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
Just win this fukin game.  Please.  Just somehow get it done.  You'd hope Suarez has saved a few goals for this match.

Could be the platform to something major.  Can only dream.

Next 3 games are all away.  7 out of 9 points and just maybe.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29:25 am »
So is Sakho back?!