Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Similar but I wouldn't say completely comparable. The size of the challenge between Dortmund and Bayern is greater than that of Sporting and Benfica/Porto. So far the consistency of success is different as well; Amorim won it one year, dropped off the next year, and this year he might win it again but he might not (one point ahead of Benfica having to play Benfica and Porto still), compared to Klopp winning twice on the run. Of course size of the league as well, Germany to Portugal.

The Europe thing as well is comparable but not quite; Klopp reached a CL final and Amorim has reached CL last 16 or Europa League Quarter Final (depending on which you count as a higher achievement) - although tbf in Klopps first 2 years in CL under Dortmund he didn't get past the group stage

So it's comparable but lesser I would say, even with the caveat of it being a smaller team in a smaller league I would say the achievement is lesser

Also needs to be said, he won the league, they were second the next season with the same points total (85), then they lost Palhinha and Matheus Nunes, fell off quite a bit that season and now look to be strong again, they also lost Ugarte last summer. Jurgen also struggled with losing key players during his time at Dortmund. 13/14 for example, Gotze went to Bayern and Gundogan missed the entire season through injury.

We can’t predict injuries, but I’d like to think any manager coming here should feel sound in our ability to keep players for their peak years. If we don’t, there’s a strong chance we’ll reinvest it well.
News and Current Affairs / Re: UK General Election 24/25?
« Last post by killer-heels on Today at 07:38:30 am »
he's a fucking weird bloke, even if there was any truth, WTF would it have to do with a President that left office 8 years ago!

Illuminati innit.
I read that his family live in Italy apparently.
Idk how much that a factor. It possible he just doesnt want to move his kids from their school and friends also. Not sure how much that matters.
I'd probably prefer Nagelsmann out of remaining candidates if it wasn't for the Euros. And don't give me the 'skateboards to work' crap, I don't give a fuck. He plays god football and is pretty experienced and successful for his age.

His football isnt that good. Its pretty defensive. Its also not his skateboard thing that makes him a bit of a twat and its a bit odd how people are bringing that up. His character and judgement has not been great and i would put good money on him losing the players within 12 months,
He has overperformed his Wage bill at least at 2 clubs, Brighton and Sassuolo. Dominated with Shakhtar in Ukraine too, He also won coach of year in Serie A for Benevento even though they got relegated. I would be pretty shocked if he didnt rate well from the metrics

I read that his family live in Italy apparently.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Last post by Zlen on Today at 07:31:22 am »
I'd probably prefer Nagelsmann out of remaining candidates if it wasn't for the Euros. And don't give me the 'skateboards to work' crap, I don't give a fuck. He plays god football and is pretty experienced and successful for his age.
Similar but I wouldn't say completely comparable. The size of the challenge between Dortmund and Bayern is greater than that of Sporting and Benfica/Porto. So far the consistency of success is different as well; Amorim won it one year, close but didn't the next year, dropped off the next yea afterr, and this year he might win it again but he might not (one point ahead of Benfica having to play Benfica and Porto still), compared to Klopp winning twice on the run. Of course size of the league as well, Germany to Portugal.

The Europe thing as well is comparable but not quite; Klopp reached a CL final and Amorim has reached CL last 16 or Europa League Quarter Final (depending on which you count as a higher achievement) - although tbf in Klopps first 2 years in CL under Dortmund he didn't get past the group stage

So it's comparable but lesser I would say, even with the caveat of it being a smaller team in a smaller league I would say the achievement is lesser

To be fair to Amorim, Klopp had the better side. Likes of Hummels, Reus, Gundogan, Lewandowski have proven to be top quality footballers.
I’m no analytics whizz but sometimes I’ll have a nosey on the sites to see if I can find any numbers that might change my pre existing views on something. We all know De Zerbi has been bordering on elite at times with some of Brighton’s offensive stats for things like chances created, shots etc I’m not sure there needs to be much discussion around that.

I’m really curious about the idea that he can’t coach a defence, I’m guessing because they’ve had a few mad results where they’ve let a few in. I’m not sure that’s a stick to measure coaching a defence with like, I can remember Honigstein saying Jurgen was prone to the odd game where it would all go wrong when he was at Dortmund.

I was looking on understat at the xG table for this season and I looked at last season’s from when RDZ joined (October 1st was his first game, away at Anfield). Last season they were 9th for xGA, sandwiched between Spurs and Chelsea, in that time we were 12th, however we and Brighton had played 32 games, some sides had played 31 and some numbers were quite close, so not really amazing, but he was seen as an offensive coach compared to Potter. If you look a bit closer and filter to non-penalty xGA, they were actually fifth last season since he joined Brighton. That’s pretty decent.

This season Brighton are 4th for xGA behind Arsenal, City and ourselves. They’re actually closer to us than we are to Arsenal or City. Again, not bad. They’re also 4th for non-penalty xGA.

As I said, I’m no whizz and I understand xG and xGA aren’t to everyone’s tastes. But he’s managing a wage bill around 14th/15th in the league, they’ve sold their best players in the summer and he’s still been able to get solid underlying numbers. As always, I’m not advocating for him to get the job here, I do think he deserves a lot more respect than we’re showing him on here.
He has overperformed his Wage bill at least at 2 clubs, Brighton and Sassuolo. Dominated with Shakhtar in Ukraine too, He also won coach of year in Serie A for Benevento even though they got relegated. I would be pretty shocked if he didnt rate well from the metrics
Similar but I wouldn't say completely comparable. The size of the challenge between Dortmund and Bayern is greater than that of Sporting and Benfica/Porto. So far the consistency of success is different as well; Amorim won it one year, close but didn't the next year, dropped off the next yea afterr, and this year he might win it again but he might not (one point ahead of Benfica having to play Benfica and Porto still), compared to Klopp winning twice on the run. Of course size of the league as well, Germany to Portugal.

Sporting had not won their league in 19 years so it's a huge achievement, and this season he does have a game in hand so he could be 4 points clear.
The Boozer / Re: Jokes so bad they're punny
« Last post by Statto Red on Today at 07:29:19 am »
I see today is Bob Hoskins day

The Long Good Friday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10