Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3465495 times)

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44720 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:49 pm »
Anyone seen The Seven Five?  Apparently its on Netflix.
Mike Dowd, a corrupt Brooklyn cop who became dirtier than the drug dealers he was supposed to be policing.

Seems like an old one 2014, released on NetFlix 3rd Feb.
Really good watch that is.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44721 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
Mel Gibson though...  ;D
Continually on 11,420.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44722 on: February 10, 2017, 03:10:10 pm »
Yeah, a bit back like. I mentioned it in the documentary thread.

It's worth a watch. I thought it screamed out to be made into a feature...by Lumet starring either Pacino or Treat Williams. It's that kind of film.

Looks like Sony are making one.  This is from Wiki

He is the subject of the 2014 documentary film The Seven Five[1][2][3][4] directed by Tiller Russell and produced by Eli Holzman. The upcoming Sony Pictures adaptation is being produced by John Lesher and Megan Ellison.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44723 on: February 10, 2017, 03:32:56 pm »
Might go and see John Wick2 next friday, enjoyed the first one.

Going with my lad next week. He's embraced being a student and 18 and therefore I see virtually fuck all of him these days except for going the pictures together. Which is good :)

He has urged me to watch the original John Wick first though, so its being torrented as I type ready for tonight as I have the house to myself :)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #44724 on: February 10, 2017, 03:33:50 pm »
Going with my lad next week. He's embraced being a student and 18 and therefore I see virtually fuck all of him these days except for going the pictures together. Which is good :)

He has urged me to watch the original John Wick first though, so its being torrented as I type ready for tonight as I have the house to myself :)

Really enjoyed the first one, although 1 part I really really hated (you'll know it when you see it). Definitely seeing the 2nd one!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44725 on: February 10, 2017, 03:34:50 pm »

To say the bad guys have every fucking thing coming to them is the understatement of the decade! :no

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #44726 on: February 10, 2017, 03:41:47 pm »
Watched Hell or High Water last night, first on the list of films nominated for the best picture award.

Despite gathering positive reviews it was better than I was expecting, love the whole southern setting & the desolate atmosphere. Had a few laughs at Jeff Bridges characters un PC attitude towards his partner too. 8/10

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #44727 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:52 pm »
They're sticking it to the man. Later in the film its brought up to try and show Ben that the life hes living with them maybe isn't the best. Dont think you're a bad person, people like different films, but I think its worth persevering with, I thought it was brilliant.
Ok cheers. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44728 on: February 10, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »
Gold 2016 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive-CM8 
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44729 on: February 10, 2017, 10:41:18 pm »
Looks like Sony are making one.  This is from Wiki

He is the subject of the 2014 documentary film The Seven Five[1][2][3][4] directed by Tiller Russell and produced by Eli Holzman. The upcoming Sony Pictures adaptation is being produced by John Lesher and Megan Ellison.
Thanks for that, Paul. I just had a nose and saw that Yann Demage is supposed to be directing, that's great as he was behind Top Boy, a four part mini-series about a London drug dealer that I loved.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44730 on: February 10, 2017, 11:12:24 pm »
Gold 2016 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive-CM8 

Beat me to it ;D

That's my watch sorted for tonight.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44731 on: February 11, 2017, 01:48:56 am »
About to watch Platoon. Been about 15 years. Love this movie

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #44732 on: February 11, 2017, 04:00:04 am »
Watched the founder last night, very enjoyable
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44733 on: February 11, 2017, 09:36:08 am »
Thanks for the recommendation of The Edge Of Seventeen. Nice film that I reckon has gone a bit unnoticed (not here). Very good performance from Haiee Steinfield (who I was trying to remember where else I had seen her-True Grit), bonding with the viewer is established just fine with what she has gone through and still does and a certain dialogue at the end had me close in tears (I have been in a similar situation) and really elevates the film in greater heights.

Manchester by the Sea is another one I watched and I can say what makes it good is Casey Affleck's excellent depiction of that character and 3-4 excellent/tough scenes that transform the film.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44734 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:07 am »
I saw 'Life of David Gale' recently. Am I the only one who thinks Kate Winslet is not qualified to be an actress at all. Like, 'shouldn't get a minor role in a school play' kind of unqualified. She's just acting so hard it distracts me from everything else.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44735 on: February 11, 2017, 11:09:28 am »
I saw 'Life of David Gale' recently. Am I the only one who thinks Kate Winslet is not qualified to be an actress at all. Like, 'shouldn't get a minor role in a school play' kind of unqualified. She's just acting so hard it distracts me from everything else.

I can't watch anything with her in it either. I watched Titanic when it came out on video (I was 15, so that gives me a free pass). Haven't watched anything with her in it since.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44736 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:21 am »
I think Winslet did a fine job in Steve Jobs. The Boyle, Sorkin, Fassbender one.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44737 on: February 12, 2017, 11:49:43 am »
Watched Manchester by the Sea and A Monster Calls this weekend. Not the best decision to do both as I felt pretty grim afterwards  ;D.

Casey Affleck is surely a lock for the oscar. Some excellent acting and his type of understated, restrained acting was the right fit for the role. Other actors would have taken that role in a very different direction which would have made it a lesser film I think.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44738 on: February 12, 2017, 11:55:58 am »
Kate Winslett isn't a bad actor - but she is guilty of overcooking her performances. I have always preferred her to Emma Watson, Keira Knightly, Kate Beckinsale and a lot of other British female actors.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44739 on: February 12, 2017, 12:39:48 pm »
Kate Winslett isn't a bad actor - but she is guilty of overcooking her performances. I have always preferred her to Emma Watson, Keira Knightly, Kate Beckinsale and a lot of other British female actors.

She is a level above those. Also there are many other brilliant british actresses than those random list.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44740 on: February 12, 2017, 02:28:34 pm »
She is a level above those. Also there are many other brilliant british actresses than those random list.
Tilda Swinton, Emily Watson, and Carey Mulligan are probably the ones who I'd personally name as the most talented and adaptable female screen actors of recent times. Winslet is desevedly among that set, but not at the top of it for me.

I also rate Lena Headey, because she has this really interesting dark, world-weary sexiness about her in pretty much everything I've seen, to go with her always-strong performances. She'd be absolutely perfect for a film noir in the classic tradition, I reckon.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44741 on: February 12, 2017, 03:48:57 pm »

Knightly does me head in but Kate, yum!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44742 on: February 12, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »
Tilda Swinton, Emily Watson, and Carey Mulligan are probably the ones who I'd personally name as the most talented and adaptable female screen actors of recent times. Winslet is desevedly among that set, but not at the top of it for me.

I also rate Lena Headey, because she has this really interesting dark, world-weary sexiness about her in pretty much everything I've seen, to go with her always-strong performances. She'd be absolutely perfect for a film noir in the classic tradition, I reckon.
Headley reminds me of Veronica Lake. as you said, perfect for a noir.....the kind of women who drives men to do things they otherwise wouldn't. ;D

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #44743 on: February 12, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »
Beat me to it ;D

That's my watch sorted for tonight.

Yeah I watched it last night too

I was looking forward to this but ultimately was a bit disappointed.  Mcconaughey was a bit OTT compared to everyone else, maybe the character needed that but it felt like this was him 'doing a character' which made me not empathise or buy him so much
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44744 on: February 12, 2017, 04:51:15 pm »

I'd agree with that, though I'd add Saoirse Ronan to that list. I've also been impressed with Felicity Jones and Imogen Poots every time I've seen them.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44745 on: February 12, 2017, 06:24:44 pm »
How was La La Land? I haven't seen it but it seems boring to me but having seen Whiplash, i feel like that director is talented and i should see it for that alone.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44746 on: February 12, 2017, 07:17:58 pm »
I'd agree with that, though I'd add Saoirse Ronan to that list. I've also been impressed with Felicity Jones and Imogen Poots every time I've seen them.
You shouldn't....

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44747 on: February 12, 2017, 07:23:40 pm »

Are we allowing Irish people in this then?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44748 on: February 12, 2017, 07:33:49 pm »
She was born in America so she's American now. Sorry guys.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44749 on: February 12, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
She was born in America so she's American now. Sorry guys.
Good. I'm sure she'd find that acceptable

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44750 on: February 12, 2017, 08:22:21 pm »
Are we allowing Irish people in this then?

No. Get out.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44751 on: February 12, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #44752 on: February 12, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »
Edge of seventeen had me in tears but then again I'm an old single part time dad with a teenage daughter who prefers to spend time with her friends than me, having drunk 1 and 1/2 bottles of wine who listens to far too many podcasts and looks upon RAWK for his social interaction

Just run a bath, plugged the toaster in but the cord doesn't reach, fuk it - Its a good movie, bit like a growds up little miss sunshine
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44753 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:44 pm »
Watched Green Room earlier, that shit was tense. Loved the Nazi Punks Fuck Off cover
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44754 on: February 12, 2017, 11:02:55 pm »
Watched Green Room earlier, that shit was tense. Loved the Nazi Punks Fuck Off cover

Yep, loved that cover.

Great turn from Patrick Stewart - didn't think he could be so scary.

Also the make up department - just for Anton Yelchin's arm.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44755 on: February 12, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »
So la la land won best film at the bafta's & Emma Stone best actress.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44756 on: February 13, 2017, 12:05:30 am »
Saw Moonlight over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

I was expecting something overwrought but instead got something quite subtle and impressionistic.

I never felt like I was being bludgeoned with a message. This could have been a ham-fisted and/or stoic cri de coeur that straddled not one both two minority stories, but instead kept it personal and focused on the main character's story.

I'm a big Wong Kar-Wai fan, and his influence is everywhere here, from the music to the photography. I'd almost go so far as to say it's a Wong Kar-Wai film via Barry Jenkins about lonely black people in America, instead of lonely Chinese people in Hong Kong/Shanghai.

My one complaint would be that:

Spoiler
The final act perhaps takes the understatement a little too far. The first two acts set it up for a big emotional payoff, but it never arrives.

But even this I think is possibly to Jenkins' credit, as he was obviously at pains to avoid cheapening the story by extracting undeserved tears, and to take it to its logical conclusion.
[close]

It would definitely be in my top 5 for 2016 (but not going by UK release dates).

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44757 on: February 13, 2017, 01:16:04 am »
Saw Moonlight over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

Barry Jenkins did the 'Directors Roundtable' with The Hollywood Reporter:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DtB8YhsUkkg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DtB8YhsUkkg</a>

He also did this with Criterion:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LwmEWNXIsNk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LwmEWNXIsNk</a>

If I recall correctly, Barry Jenkins' favourite film is Chungking Express. He says in the Directors Roundtable that when he saw it when he was younger it was immediately clear to him that it was the type of film he wanted to make. I haven't seen it, but I love In The Mood for Love, and I loved Moonlight, I'll have to go through more of Wong Kar-Wai.

There's also this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/66cIeb_nNO4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/66cIeb_nNO4</a>

“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44758 on: February 13, 2017, 02:36:10 am »

Cheers

In the Mood for Love is my favourite and probably Wong Kar-Wai's best movie, but Chungking Express is the one I've seen the most times. It's lighter, and a good movie to watch post-breakups.

I liked Moonlight, but I think my favourite Wong Kar-Wai inspired movie is comfortable A Single Man, which is almost shameless in how it apes Wong's style. Still a beautifully crafted movie though.

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #44759 on: February 13, 2017, 06:40:55 am »
Watched Arrival over weekend. Decent film but nothing blew me. Thought some of the reviews of it were over the top.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.