Author Topic: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO  (Read 72953 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Southampton vs Liverpool. March 1st 2014. 17.30 KO
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:35 am »
Tough one this...

We have more to play for and I'm hoping that will see us through!

They like to press high up the pitch and its caused us all sorts of problems in recent games. However we set up, I hope we come up with a solid game plan because whatever we have been doing up to now against them has not been working.

Would assume we sit a bit deeper and set up for the counter, as many have said, though I feel the individual mistakes really REALLY need to be cut down now. Especially seeing as they seem to be costing us goals and potential points.....absolute focus is the key and we can win it.

They've lost their last two games....stoke put two past them at their place and Chelsea battered them 3-0. Im sure they will put up a good fight but we are more than capable of beating them if we approach it right....

Then we can enjoy the mini-holiday before the next cup final !!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:35 am »
We'll drop points here I think, not expecting anything really. We need to massively up the performance levels from Fulham and Swansea
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2014, 08:49:40 am »
We'll drop points here I think, not expecting anything really. We need to massively up the performance levels from Fulham and Swansea
we can win this, we are at home, we have lots of time to prepare, and we are much improved in possession since we last played.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2014, 08:51:07 am »
we can win this, we are at home, we have lots of time to prepare, and we are much improved in possession since we last played.

We aren't at home mate
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:30 am »

We tend to up our games against the tougher sides, and this season has shown that we've quashed many of our bogey teams.

Cautiously optimistic, and should be another sign of how we've progressed under Rodgers.

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:35 am »
this season has shown that we've quashed many of our bogey teams.

Conversely though our only home league defeat this season was vs Southampton back in September. We've come quite a ways since then I think, but still.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2014, 09:07:14 am »
on the back of a worried performance on Sunday, this is a perfect time to play Southampton...

just want a win... any win!!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:49 am »
We aren't at home mate
You've just been conned.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:10 am »
Conversely though our only home league defeat this season was vs Southampton back in September. We've come quite a ways since then I think, but still.

Yeah, but since then.. Stoke, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton (had not won under Rodgers). We played 4 CB's last time around with only 2 in our midfield. I think we're much better prepared this time around.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:34 am »
I'm in the minority if any that Allen shouldn't start.

Allen instead of Sterling/Coutinho offers control in midfield & high pressing which was far more suitable against Swansea.
The tactics were clear that Rodgers didn't want Swansea to control the game as he wanted to make a statement that we are Liverpool at Anfield, we will control the game, not you. That is why Gerrard & our defence were so exposed because Henderson & Coutinho were pressing high. Even Gerrard was at times. No wonder we conceded 3 goals. Allen coming on drastically changed the effectiveness of that tactic.

The best tactic to beat Southampton is not to try & press them high & out control them in midfield but instead play compact & hit them with counter attacks - which has been our strength evident with Everton & Arsenal, where we were far better defensively.

That is why Coutinho (not Allen) should start.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:24:44 am by Livo.85 »

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:45 am »
If anybody is getting dropped for Allen it'll be Sterling, justifiably or not Brendan see's Coutinho as our link between midfield and Suarez & Sturridge.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2014, 10:42:42 am »
I would put Cissokho in for Johnson, move Flanagan back over to the right - also Sahko in for Agger if he is fit again

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:38 am »
   Team              W D L F   A  GD PTS

H Southampton 5 5 3 21 16   5    20

A Liverpool        5 4 4 28 23   5    19

Very, very tough one to call!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:43:22 am by Titi Camara »

Offline TopOfTheKops

• Kemlynite
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
I have been nervous about this fixture for a while. Probably because of how badly we played last season. I think this is a massive test, win it and I think the league title is a real possibility. Lose it and its all about securing 4th.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:36 am »
You've just been conned.
good reply :-)

Back to the drawing board for me

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:09 am »
Shababs.

The Tea leaves have been inconsistent of late, predicting the right outcome but indifferent score's. The wife seem's to think its murkier waters. 

The Tea leaves are predicting a very narrow margin and close game. The moon is showing a crescent that also indicates a close game.

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool   Away win

That's how they rolled.  Inshallah.
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2014, 11:48:02 am »
I would have the Cisko kid back in at Lb and Flanagan at right. Agger/Toure/Skertel (not sure which two are the better).  Allen in for Coutinho.  The rest pick themselves.  We get to control midfield a bit better and put up a "solid" defense*.  Suarez is going to score.  Really think we can do this.

*Solid defense in the context of Liverpools current defending state :-(

This must be one of the best seasons ever.  Not only are we closer to the top than 5th, but I also get the guilty pleasure of reading the comments section of the national papers after every Manu implosion:-)  Does football get any better than this?

Off now to read the Guardian's Manu CL match report :-))))   hehehe...

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2014, 11:51:54 am »
Southampton is a bit of a tough cookie..

They're a balanced mixture of Swansea/Arsenal when in posession, but akin to Chelsea, Hull and West Brom(under Mel), and ourselves(in the big games) when not in possession. Like we've seen against Hull and West Brom in particular- we will look jaded and play as if we're tired, a lot of passes would be intercepetd or go astray, our pass-completion stats would be very low, our possession would be less than theirs, they will score from stupid errors(forced through their pressing) and we're going to have to work our arse off for the ball- same as them when we're in possession.

Another aspect they seem to differ from a lot of quality sides is that they don't really take the initiative in attacking when against top sides(it's a myth- their more reactionary)- so we can't use counter-attacking as a tactic throughout the match. They hound you for possession- in 3s- and wait for a mistake. They will not attack you constantly, carving you open through incisive passing from an attack that was started from out the back. If we decide to counter throughout the match, we'll have to walk away with a draw or they'll hope for a mistake- like our past meetings and will make sure they'll win by a goal. Tough team this. Too hot to handle. They're as tough to play against as we were under Rafa and what we're becoming under Rodgers. Their more like us Rafa's Liverpool, but with quality passing and more movement. We might have to alternate our approach- attack for 15 minutes, sit back, attack for 15, sit back- rinse and repeat..

Against Swansea and Arsenal, we had it easy- we could press, but not expect much pressing when we're in possession, since these 2 sides do not really appear to press, but only selectively(like we did the first season under Rodgers), but the problem with Southampton is that they do to us what we have done to Arsenal, Everton and Swansea and the issue we have is that our one-touch passing didn't seem up to scratch since we met them under Rodgers.

As PoP said the other time- the way to resist/beat their press is to quickly pass the ball in triangles all over the pitch in order to avoid losing it. This would mean- one-touch passing like Arsenal does it and we're struggling there. Yes- our one-touch passing is good, but a little less quicker and effective than City and of a much less quality and pace than that of Arsenal(which is the reason why they could sort of "handle" Southampton). The reason Swansea were such a tough team to press, was their quick precision in passing and their use of triangles whenever we pressed them. We need to do simialr against Southampton and then we'll win.

Anyway- I'm sure Brendan has been wrestling with the question of how to beat this lot for a while now and the last time we met, we were much better than before, so I'm sure we'll have a plan for these.
Tis the season to slaughter the bogeys and Southampton are next. I'll go for a battling, brutal football, piss-ugly, ground-out 1-2 or even a 0-1. Quality will see us through.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:23:28 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline dumaten

• Main Stander
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:10 pm »
Southampton tend to do better against "footballing" teams. I guess their pressing is more effective against teams that try to play it out from the back, rather than teams that will just launch it right over the press. They were the better team against both Arsenal and Man City in the home draws, and lost to Arsenal at the emirates due to a moment of Boruc madness; but they lost to both Aston Villa and West Ham.

Their pressing restricts the chances, but if we can play through it we will create clear cut ones. They press as a compact unit, which means a high line to exploit if we are accurate and intelligent enough to do so.

Offline LCapitane81

• Main Stander
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:46 pm »
Just a quick note to add if Southamption were that good, they'd be the ones challenging for the title and we'd be the ones in the middle of the table.

Yes, they are a decent side but reading some of the posts in here, you'd think we're playing some kind of morphed Bayern Munich/Italy in the 90's. They are a decent outfit and so far have had the beating of us, but I'm certainly looking for 3 points.

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:31 pm »
Just a quick note to add if Southamption were that good, they'd be the ones challenging for the title and we'd be the ones in the middle of the table.

Yes, they are a decent side but reading some of the posts in here, you'd think we're playing some kind of morphed Bayern Munich/Italy in the 90's. They are a decent outfit and so far have had the beating of us, but I'm certainly looking for 3 points.

Exactly and that's what the Tea Leaves are saying. Away win
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:06 pm »

They've been our kryptonite since Pochettino took over. They have everything we struggle against; high energy, relentless pressing with the option of a physical striker up top.

BR figured out how to beat Arsenal who had a similar stronghold on us. Hope he does the same against this lot.

"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:54 pm »
Exactly and that's what the Tea Leaves are saying. Away win
Shebabs mate! It's how we roll! ;)
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »
Saints are a tough cookie but if our players cant get up for the remaining 11 games then they shouldnt be playing for us, get into them early doors and score goals, all the media is hanging on our away form to see us slip up, ram it back down their throats, 3-1 us
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:52 pm »
we wont win this.

u can quote me on this.

I'll be rooting for a liverpool lose every game hoping that i'd be proven wrong so that we'd win the league. ;D

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2014, 12:46:29 pm »
Feel its down to us whether we win this one, southampton are a good team but we really should have the beating of them if we turn up.

Cant see us going with four CBs like we did vs these at home so hope to see a better balance to the side than we had that day.

would play Glen over Cissoko as they will look to press us high and Johnsons extra ability on the ball may be vital .

i fancy Suarez to find his scoring touch again in the next few games and if he goes on another tear it could get interesting

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2014, 12:46:50 pm »
Shababs.

The Tea leaves have been inconsistent of late, predicting the right outcome but indifferent score's. The wife seem's to think its murkier waters. 

The Tea leaves are predicting a very narrow margin and close game. The moon is showing a crescent that also indicates a close game.

Southampton 1-2 Liverpool   Away win

That's how they rolled.  Inshallah.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. Temba, his arms wide.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »
This is a real test to see how far the players and Brendan have come
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »
Southampton tend to do better against "footballing" teams. I guess their pressing is more effective against teams that try to play it out from the back, rather than teams that will just launch it right over the press. They were the better team against both Arsenal and Man City in the home draws, and lost to Arsenal at the emirates due to a moment of Boruc madness; but they lost to both Aston Villa and West Ham.

Their pressing restricts the chances, but if we can play through it we will create clear cut ones. They press as a compact unit, which means a high line to exploit if we are accurate and intelligent enough to do so.
Exactly. It seems they have an issue with pacy, direct football.

Good sides are normally patient, passing sides(Chelsea being the exception here), the final 3rd is where these sides normally apply pace in(bursts in-between CBs or in-behind, bursts down the sides and diagonal runs etc in front of the opposition back-four).

The back and middle are normally the areas, where the build-up is slower than the front, so it's easy to latch onto players and harry them, but with pacy, direct sides, they normally run right through the middle or via the wings and they are normally physical sides who can brush off these smaller pressing opponents- especially at pace.

I also think they are more up for the big sides. We need to go about with a frantic pace, cause these like to "slow down" the game. They like to drag you down to their level, where they can then nicely go ahead and bludgeon you to death. They're small battlers this lot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:54:51 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51:17 pm »
This is a real test to see how far the players and Brendan have come
Abar 240 miles

:P
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:02 pm »
We aren't at home mate

Thankfully, when you remember how badly that went
Xerxes MBE

Offline Noelle

• iverpoo?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »
Yeah, but since then.. Stoke, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton (had not won under Rodgers). We played 4 CB's last time around with only 2 in our midfield. I think we're much better prepared this time around.

True. Personally I think we're probably looking at a draw (though a win shouldn't be completely beyond us) but the fact still remains: They're the only ones to have cracked the fortress this season, and they basically walked rings around in the corresponding fixture last season to boot. They're one club who seem to know how to contend with what Brendan's been doing.

If anybody is getting dropped for Allen it'll be Sterling, justifiably or not Brendan see's Coutinho as our link between midfield and Suarez & Sturridge.

I'd say it's an absolutely justified view. Look at every time Phil's been out. Even when he's been playing poorly, as soon as we take him off we tend  to look much worse. Dropping Sterling may not necessarily be the best way to go, but if it were a matter of playing Joe + Sterling but without Coutinho or Joe + Coutinho without Sterling, we ought to take the latter. Coutinho is the lynchpin of our squad at the moment.

Offline GhostOfBenitez

• Main Stander
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
Honestly on paper we should win this.. But Southampton are a quality side with good players and like to counter with pace.. Safe to say ill be a nervous reck...  2-0 for us though

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:50 pm »
Come On Redmen!
Was at the home match and it was one of, if not, the least fluid matches we played.
We are so much better than we were then as long as the defence don't give too many hand-outs against and their recent form is quite a bit worse. Have been thinking this is our hardest away match but feel we have the decisive edge.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Owl

• Twit...just twit. No twoo.
  • Kopite
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
What I'm hoping for in this game is that our Game, and attacking threat will be to much for them to play their own.

Rather than the other way around, and with this players we have we should achieve that.

We are the most goal scoring and attacking team in the league, it's not like u can ignore it and disable it.

We are only worried about this because of our defensive displays, and mostly they have come away from home.

When we played them at home and lost we weren't as developed as we are now. We have come long way since then.

My only worry is that we play too attacking at times away from home, formations are set for us to score but it backfires most of the time and it's about out scoring the opposition rather than destroying them.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2014, 01:23:19 pm »
we wont win this.

u can quote me on this.

I'll be rooting for a liverpool lose every game hoping that i'd be proven wrong so that we'd win the league. ;D

We will not.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
We're gonna fucking smash these wankers! :D

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »
Fuck control.
I would be happy enough with a 6 - 5 win, to be honest...

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »
Would take a point, we can never perform against Soton. They're pressing game kills us. They've had a bit of a bad run since their cracking start to the season. They'll probably bounce back against us and win but I hope we can break this jinx. They're becoming our bogey team.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2014, 01:36:11 pm »

We will not.
Check the part in "white" ;)

we wont win this.

u can quote me on this.