Author Topic: How much piss?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
How much piss?
« on: March 1, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »
It is an antisocial act that normally goes under the radar, but many swimmers have long suspected the truth: people are peeing in the pool.

Now scientists have been able to confirm the full extent of offending for the first time, after developing a test designed to estimate how much urine has been covertly added to a large volume of water. Regular swimmers with a keen sense of hygiene may wish to stop reading now.

The test works by measuring the concentration of an artificial sweetener, acesulfame potassium (ACE), that is commonly found in processed food and passes through the body unaltered.

After tracking the levels of the sweetener in two public pools in Canada over a three-week period they calculated that swimmers had released 75 litres of urine – enough to fill a medium-sized dustbin – into a large pool (about 830,000 litres, one-third the size of an Olympic pool) and 30 litres into a second pool, around half the size of the first.

Walls that 'pee back' tackle people who urinate in public
 Read more
Lindsay Blackstock, a graduate student at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, and lead author, said: “Our study provides additional evidence that people are indeed urinating in public pools and hot tubs.”

Although the researchers were unable to confirm exactly what fraction of visitors were choosing to quietly relieve themselves in the water rather than making the shivery trip to the changing rooms, the results suggest that the urine content was being topped up several times each day.

“We did not monitor the number of pool users over the three week time period ... so there is no way we could estimate the number of individual urination events per day,” said Blackstock.

Advertisement

The findings make for unwelcome reading, but swimmers might find some comfort in the measurements from eight hot tubs, which were found to have far higher urine levels. One hotel Jacuzzi had more than three times the concentration of sweetener than in the worst swimming pool.

In total, the team sampled 31 different pools and tubs in two Canadian cities and found ACE to be present in 100% of the samples, with concentrations up to 570 times the background level in tap water samples. They used the average ACE concentration in Canadian urine to convert their measurements into approximate volumes of urine.

“We want to use this study to promote public education on appropriate swimming hygiene practices,” said Blackstock. “We should all be considerate of others and make sure to exit the pool to use the restroom when nature calls.”

While most people, beyond early childhood, would not admit to using their local swimming pool as a giant communal toilet, the results are not entirely surprising. In one anonymous survey, 19% of adults admitted to having urinated in a swimming pool at least once. And professional swimmers have confessed to being among the most regular offenders.

Ahead of the London 2012 Olympics, the US swimmer, Ryan Lochte, said: “I think there’s just something about getting into chlorine water that you just automatically go,” and his team-mate, Michael Phelps, agreed it was acceptable behaviour. “I think everybody pees in the pool,” he said. “Chlorine kills it, so it’s not bad.”

However, while urine is sterile, compounds in urine, including urea, ammonia, and creatinine have been found to react with disinfectants to form byproducts known as DBPs that can lead to eye and respiratory irritation. Long-term exposure to the compounds has been linked to asthma in professional swimmers and pool workers.

In the future, the scientists suggest it may be possible to use ACE as a test to ensure that urine in pools is kept to a hygienic level. Contrary to the warning many children are given – that a coloured cloud will appear around them if they pee – there is currently no urine indicator dye that could be used in a pool.

“This is a myth probably used to scare children, and adults, into using proper hygiene practices for fear of public humiliation,” said Blackstock.

The findings are published in the American Chemical Society journal, Environmental Science & Technology Letters.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/01/how-much-pee-is-in-our-swimming-pools-new-urine-test-reveals-the-truth

Makes taking the kids swimming even more pleasant...

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How much piss?
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »
That whole cloud of color thing was a myth? What the hell! I got 30 years of peeing in the pool to make up for.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2017, 07:18:42 pm »
Donald Trump likes this.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2017, 07:40:26 pm »
That whole cloud of color thing was a myth? What the hell! I got 30 years of peeing in the pool to make up for.

:lmao

To be honest I used to just let out a little bit and test the water so to speak, every time I go to a new pool, just in case of the colour cloud ;D

Surprised only 19% admit to this.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2017, 08:35:58 pm »
Chloramines are made when the chlorine reacts with the urea, this is the pungent smelll that makes people comment that there is too much chlorine in the pool.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2017, 08:39:59 pm »
I thought everyone peed in the pool, didn't realise there were some that didn't
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
How did you hold that in for so long!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2017, 11:42:17 pm »
All those lives that could have been saved.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2017, 12:41:27 pm »

It's the one's who stand and pee off the diving board that I take issue with.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »

The 1970s called, they would like their joke back.

Offline Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »

thats an intresting question.

Is someone pissing whilst in a pool worse than someone pissing into the pool while on the side?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2017, 03:51:25 pm »
thats an intresting question.

Is someone pissing whilst in a pool worse than someone pissing into the pool while on the side?
No. How can you even ask?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2017, 03:52:36 pm »
All those lives that could have been saved.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zUoT5AxFpRs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zUoT5AxFpRs</a>

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2017, 08:22:08 pm »
*shudders* thinking about last time I got in a public pool, never been in since.

Need to blank it out of my mind, and it wasn't a turd :)

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2017, 08:37:46 pm »
There's people who do and liars.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
The 1970s called, they would like their joke back.

Ken Goodwin, The Comedians, circa 1976, I believe.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 5, 2017, 10:07:55 am »
0.009%

Not arsed.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2017, 11:31:15 am »
0.009%

Not arsed.

But what about the homeopathic effects. It's a heady 4X concentration.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 12:18:21 pm »
Could be worse.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 01:15:30 pm »
Pretty sure I made up the myth about the cloud of dye.