Author Topic: New Year's Eve in Liverpool  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New Year's Eve in Liverpool
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »
Hi folks,

My wife and I are travelling back from Melbourne to the UK to visit my folks over Xmas/NY, and as part of our trip will be heading to the Man City game on NYE. We will be staying at my folks place (in Cambridge), and were tossing up whether to do it as a day trip from there or spend New Year's in Liverpool after the game. Now that the KO time has been shifted to 5.30 pm, I think we will almost certainly stay.

Just had a quick look online, which seemed to suggest there isn't really much in the way of organised events in the evening - is that pretty accurate? We were hoping to maybe grab some dinner/drinks and then head into town, for example if there would be any fireworks to watch etc. Both mid 30s and not really looking for the whole banging club/pub scene any more, but if there's a main square or anywhere worth heading to then any suggestions much appreciated!

:wave
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Year's Eve in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
Yeah there isn't much in the way of organised stuff usually - people are usually either at house parties or in the bars/pubs.

The Chinese New Year is much better organised than the Gregorian one in Liverpool!

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:04:49 pm »
Hi Rusty. Been trying to send you a Pm mate, but no joy.  :butt

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:54 am »
Hi folks,

My wife and I are travelling back from Melbourne to the UK to visit my folks over Xmas/NY, and as part of our trip will be heading to the Man City game on NYE. We will be staying at my folks place (in Cambridge), and were tossing up whether to do it as a day trip from there or spend New Year's in Liverpool after the game. Now that the KO time has been shifted to 5.30 pm, I think we will almost certainly stay.

Just had a quick look online, which seemed to suggest there isn't really much in the way of organised events in the evening - is that pretty accurate? We were hoping to maybe grab some dinner/drinks and then head into town, for example if there would be any fireworks to watch etc. Both mid 30s and not really looking for the whole banging club/pub scene any more, but if there's a main square or anywhere worth heading to then any suggestions much appreciated!

:wave

Public transport is off on NYE, mate. Bare that in mind when you make any plans!
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital

Offline SPLee

• Kopite
  • last seen in 3ft(13ft) fountain in istanbul
@sevvyparklee

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
New Years Eve
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:47:01 am »
Alright all.

Due to the kick off time of the City game at Anfield, I'll be staying over in Liverpool New Years eve.

Got a hostel booked and that. Been out after several Europa games in Liverpool city centre over the last year, but they aren't New Years where every man and his dog will be out, and places will be charging to get in and all sorts I suspect on one of their best nights of the year.

Would really appreciate any good suggestions on where we can head out for just a few beers and have a laugh but not totally return to our hostel skint and penniless? ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Years Eve
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:28:42 am »
I haven't been out in Liverpool on New Year's Eve for maybe 20 years.i try and avoid it. New Year's Day drinking is where it's at! No part time once a year drinkers as they are all in bed with hangovers. Meanwhile those that know have a boss day/night out. In all seriousness though there will be plenty of places but not that many that are quiet I'd assume.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:47 am »
I've been out in town once on NYE- was about 4-5 years ago now. We went for a meal then just headed out to a few bars around Seal Street/ Hardman street. I expected it to be mad busy but surprisingly it wasn't. Definitely not as busy as a normal Saturday night. Plenty of places round there you could get in so ideal for a pub/bar crawl.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »
This is  list of 8 free places for NYE, includes some in Concert Square which if you listen to most on here is shit, I have never had a problem meself and it gets packed and is not far from Seel street etc. which has some nice bars, I am sure you will find somewhere, enjoy.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/8-places-you-can-free-12373963

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:38:10 pm »
Last year me and a few mates were in Tabac on Bold St and it was boss as we got free shots poured down our necks :D

Didn't pay to get in, it's tiny but good atmos, bit full but open late ish (not an all night solution exactly) and decent prices... if not that kind to your wallet.

I love the place personally but I like conversation rather than being drowned out by tunes

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:09 am »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:52:55 am by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God