Author Topic: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.  (Read 29794 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: Roy, nice guy...but it just didn't work out.
« Reply #200 on: January 8, 2011, 04:28:59 pm »
Nice guys finish last.
Don't say that! Don't f*ckin say that! If it wasn't for us nice guys, you'd be living in a cave somewhere. Yeah- our women normally go out and fuck the nearest bad boy, but we look after society.

Anyway- good luck Roy! Didn't like you, but I have nothing against you. Godspeed!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 04:32:03 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #201 on: January 8, 2011, 04:29:03 pm »
Media's going to be all over us now he's gone.

In case you haven't noticed they have been all over us for years, Fuck them
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #202 on: January 8, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »
Good luck Roy

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 8, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »
Genuinely hope he has success wherever he goes but yeah thank f*ck hes gone.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #204 on: January 8, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Will2403

• Main Stander
    • http://facebook.com/will2403
« Reply #205 on: January 8, 2011, 04:35:56 pm »
Best of luck in the future. 

It wasn't his fault, just typical of the god awful stewardship by the previous administration.

It's a new day. Finally.

Thank you NESV, you are showing excellent class and management skills, you gave him every chance and replaced him at a good moment, especially if the club and fans are lifted sufficiently to beat the Mancs.

This can still be a good season.  Believe!!!

Offline Will2403

• Main Stander
    • http://facebook.com/will2403
« Reply #206 on: January 8, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »
At the end of the storm, there's a golden sky :)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 8, 2011, 05:14:20 pm »
Wish him luck at the next place, but I'm also very happy he's gone. Was the wrong pick, was chosen by the wrong people, for the wrong reasons, at a very difficult period. Was never going to be easy, but he made big mistakes too. Always thought he'd be used as a scapegoat for Purslow & Co. Finally we can move on from G&H and shape a better future.

But it needs to be said that all is not well yet. I suspect there is still some bad blood within the squad that needs to be taken care of.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #208 on: January 8, 2011, 05:16:53 pm »
He was never good enough and shouldn't have been appointed in the first place, I felt he did do his best, but his best just isn't good enough. All the best for whatever you decide to do in future.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 8, 2011, 05:18:55 pm »
Saved me typing

Inept uninspired and uninspiring
Not his fault he was appointed
But he didn't get it or us
LiverpoolFC is not a job - its a lifestyle

And me

Blame shifting, never been good enough, waste of 6 months of this clubs history.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 8, 2011, 05:27:49 pm »
Still good luck in the future.

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #211 on: January 8, 2011, 05:37:25 pm »
3 mill to hire him and now he gets paid off for leaving us in such a mess.bye roy

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #212 on: January 8, 2011, 06:03:14 pm »
Saw nothing from him to suggest that he's a "nice guy".

Clear example of the "Peter Principle".

Wish him a better match between his skills, philosophy and 'experience' and the job in his next appointment.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #213 on: January 8, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »
If the dignified statement on the OS is the last we'll hear from him on LFC, then yeah, I think we should wish him well. But obviously if he starts mouthing us off in the media then he can obviously get fucked then.

I don't think he's a 'nice guy' but I don't think he's a bad guy either. We saw the worst of him as the pressure cranked up every notch, but that happens to a lot of people.

Fond memories of his tenure? Maxi at Bolton just for the birth of the song, and Chelsea, but that's it.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 8, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »
Best of luck Roy. I'm sad it didn't work out.

All the very best for your next job.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Ronnie1932

• Feels like John Holmes.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #215 on: January 8, 2011, 06:17:41 pm »
Best of luck Roy, sorry it didn't work out.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 8, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »
In response to the OP

Nice guy my arse.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #217 on: January 8, 2011, 06:19:54 pm »
For the last time.

Fuck off Roy.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #218 on: January 8, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »
Was clearly out of his depth but let's move on.

I have to agree to some extent with the media saying about how some players need to take a long hard look at themselves but why did they not say that when Rafa was forced out? Fuckin xenophobic media.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #219 on: January 8, 2011, 06:32:43 pm »
No matter whether or not he was the right man (he wasn't) he did not deserve the downright viscous, bitter and disgusting vitriol that he had to put up with.

The man, rightly or wrongly, was chosen as manager of this club and to see what he was subjected to was, quite frankly embarrassing and disgusting coming from so called Liverpool fans. We stooped to Newcastle-esque levels and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth over the way that the campaign against him was waged and how some have conducted themselves on here and elsewhere.

That said, I have and always will be a devotee of Kenny and welcome him back with open arms. He has always been and always will be the greatest player and manager we have every had in my eyes, but I have a horrible feeling that some on here will turn on him if things don't turn around overnight, as I am getting the feeling that a lot on here think that Kenny is a guaranteed Silver Bullet for all the ills with this club - he's not. He will improve things, but I believe that what Kenny stands for will not be taken on by some of the players in the squad and will make his job difficult. I hope I am wrong, but there are some players that are seemingly very powerful and have their own agendas. Kenny will root them out, but how long will it take to right and get the side to gel?

Bear in mind, he is only here on a contract until the end of the season and as such, I don't expect that he will have the free reign that people are expecting to bring in players/staff/etc. Time will tell of course, but all Hail King Kenny and Roy - I hope that you get back into management again and all the best for the future - you were the wrong man at the wrong club, but you didn't deserve what you got.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #220 on: January 8, 2011, 06:45:01 pm »
See ya :)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Colin

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #221 on: January 8, 2011, 06:46:43 pm »
No matter whether or not he was the right man (he wasn't) he did not deserve the downright viscous, bitter and disgusting vitriol that he had to put up with.

The man, rightly or wrongly, was chosen as manager of this club and to see what he was subjected to was, quite frankly embarrassing and disgusting coming from so called Liverpool fans. We stooped to Newcastle-esque levels and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth over the way that the campaign against him was waged and how some have conducted themselves on here and elsewhere.

That said, I have and always will be a devotee of Kenny and welcome him back with open arms. He has always been and always will be the greatest player and manager we have every had in my eyes, but I have a horrible feeling that some on here will turn on him if things don't turn around overnight, as I am getting the feeling that a lot on here think that Kenny is a guaranteed Silver Bullet for all the ills with this club - he's not. He will improve things, but I believe that what Kenny stands for will not be taken on by some of the players in the squad and will make his job difficult. I hope I am wrong, but there are some players that are seemingly very powerful and have their own agendas. Kenny will root them out, but how long will it take to right and get the side to gel?

Bear in mind, he is only here on a contract until the end of the season and as such, I don't expect that he will have the free reign that people are expecting to bring in players/staff/etc. Time will tell of course, but all Hail King Kenny and Roy - I hope that you get back into management again and all the best for the future - you were the wrong man at the wrong club, but you didn't deserve what you got.

Im not jumping ont this bandwagon now

How was he treated so badly?  At a criticial time in our history he took us from bad to worse.  As i said in the other thread, his press conferences were always about self-preservation and some of comments were unacceptable and frankly embarrassing.

How many times did he say something like "the fans need to understand...."  or other patronising things.  Things no LFC manager who had any connection or was attempting to forge any connection with the fans would ever say.  His constant attempts to play down expectations, talking up inferior opposition etc.  He just didn't get it.  And that's bad in itself - but what offends me is that he never really tried to get it.

You say the fans never had his back - but if Roy had shown any promise they would have.  LFC have very intelligent fans.

Then there were his continuous contradictory comments - Cole lacks confidence, then Cole is over-confidence.  THen were we overstaffed, now were are understaffed.  It all just stank on incompetence as was patent on the pitch.

What about "Ricchard must be a great manager to have been sacked by Galatasaraay"

or his "35 years of experience" and that he should be seen in the same light as Ferguson?  Yes he said that.

Sorry guys i'm not taking a u-turn now.  He was bad for our club and probably would have had us relegated if he stayed long enough. 

Offline chrishughes

• no brainer...
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #222 on: January 8, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
Whatever the payoff was, i guarantee John Henry and co were running the numbers on how our projected home attendance was going to be if Roy stayed in charge. They're not stupid people.

That being said, Roy will be back at a West Ham similar calibre club.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 8, 2011, 06:52:33 pm »
I wish him no ill-will but I'm so happy and relieved that he's gone. An appointment that was rotten to the core in every respect, from the people making it to the people advocating it. When individuals you have no respect for are making decisions and pronouncements like that, then part of you just knew it was wrong before the man even set foot inside Anfield. Hicks and Gillett, Purslow, every journalist and pundit the length and breath of England, these people were neither qualified nor interested enough to safeguard the long-term success and well-being of Liverpool F.C., so it didn't fill you with confidence that Roy was their man.

And then he started in the job and your misgivings just got worse. He accused Agger of feigning injury and never gave him a chance. His tactics left Torres looking like a poor man's Bobby Zamora, a truly astounding 'achievement.' He even refused to tell Ferguson where to go when he accused his star-striker of diving. He questioned Johnson, perhaps something many of us have done from time to time but something a manager should never do publicly to one of his own players. He signed Konchesky and Poulsen, played Raul Meireles out of position, talked up the opposition at every turn, and consistently shifted the blame, eventually to the supporters.

I could go on, but I won't. We all know what's happened over the past six months. At least now we can look to the future.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #224 on: January 8, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »
Not having this nice guy thing. Thought that before he came. Incompetent but nice. While he was here though he slagged of his predecessor, slagged off the quality ofthe squad, slagged of some of the players and slagged off the fans. Not sure what he said about the kitchen staff or the stewards but he basically blamed everyone but himself. About himself he talked about being the most fetted manager in Europe and being in an elevated position.

The man had an ego bigger than his fuckin big head and I'm glad to see the back of him. We back our managers but when its so obvious that the manager is the wrong person for the job then that particular bet is off for me. I support the club and will always want whats best for the club above any manager or player.

Good bye and good riddance.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 10:10:32 pm by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 8, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »
Don't give a shiny shite about Hodgson. He will be well compensated by LFC, and was handsomely paid whilst he was making a pigs ear of the job. He will do some TV work, where Richard Keys will no doubt tell him how badly he was treated, and within a few months some other mug will give him another job in management.
He is one lucky twat.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 8, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »
Good luck Sir, not as bad as many made you out to be as you thought he was the villain that stole the baby but job was too big for you so better luck elsewhere.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #227 on: January 8, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out

When you have supported Liverpool all your life then maybe you can comment on how us supporters should support our club
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline JWAlonso

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: January 8, 2011, 06:56:36 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a knighthood ...
"At The End Of The Storm, There Is A Golden Sky"

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 8, 2011, 06:56:48 pm »
Hope you do something worthwhile like getting your replacement at Fulham the sack by returning back
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline fromthepen

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • man and boy a red
« Reply #230 on: January 8, 2011, 07:03:37 pm »
Roy isn't wasn't a nice guy...he was a spiteful little man with a big ego..his comments whislt in charge of LFC prove this. If he could spin the blame away from himself to maintain the illusion of being a great succesful coach he did it  time and time again regardless of how it affected others. It was all about him and his 35 years of being a top coach. He had his own agenda to perpetuate the myth so that he could utlimately get the england job. Now he has been pushed out he and his media pals will stick the boot into LFC and you...its loyal fans, and thats a fact. His journo mates are probably typing up their vindictive bile now. So all you people who wish him well and good luck Mr nice Roy, don't be deluded, he will be putting the boot in soon enough. He was  nasty spiteful piece of work who was only interested in keeping the myth going. The other fact is that if the fans hadn't abandone the so called 'liverpool way' King Kenny wouldn't be in charge now and FSG would have left nice uncle Roy in charge. The low attendance at the last match and the chants...although few....were what tipped FSG into giving the tosser the boot and going with Kenny.

Nice man...my big fat f...king arse!!! I hope with all my red LFC heart that he gets the Emgland job and nevre picks an LFC player to play for that teram ever again.

Do you think I'm coming across as a tad bitter??? to f...ing right I am as he neraly destroyed us and was on course to take us down into the lower leagues....so on yer bike you loser....by the way I am onto my 2nd bottle of chenin blanc and so so happy the king is back......happy kenny day everyone.....6th of Jan 2011  remember where you where when you heard the news!!!
let me see LFC win one more title before my time is up!

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #231 on: January 8, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
Best of luck Roy.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 8, 2011, 07:11:48 pm »
I've got nothing good to say about him or his time here.
So I'm saying nothing.

He's gone back to being utterly irrelevant.
The way it should always have been.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #233 on: January 8, 2011, 07:15:56 pm »
3 mill to hire him and now he gets paid off for leaving us in such a mess.bye roy

Plus paying Rafa off. Crazy move
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline JoburgRed

• Anny Roader
  • Red forever
« Reply #234 on: January 8, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
Goodbye and Good luck Roy

We know you tried your best and it didn't work out.  You only did what anyone would do - take the best job in the world of football,

It's Gerrrraaaaaaarddddddddd......You beautyyyyy!

Offline El-Padre

• Kopite
  • Well, look at me. I'm all fuzzy.
    • Fústar - Recycling Cultural Waste Since 2005
« Reply #235 on: January 8, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »
Think his reputation rest largely on his owl-like face. It suggests wisdom and dignity. If he'd worn a mortarboard hat and half-moon glasses he'd still have the job.

I now hate owls. And will punch the next one I see squarely in the balls.
Fústar - Recycling Cultural Waste Since 2005...

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 8, 2011, 09:19:11 pm »
As I said, I think he's neither nice or evil, just the average man who on his best day is good to have around, but under a bucketload of pressure, his bad side comes out to play.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 8, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
I just hope he has not done to much damage... If you remember our first game of the season vs Arsenal, we played some good football, it went down hill from then on. Same team, (except for an Argentinian terrier, who played out his skin for his last game). We can only hope now that Kenny can make something of us again, I personally feel that tomorrow for me, will be monumental in seeing him return, I've waited years and only dreamed that this would happen.

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 8, 2011, 09:21:52 pm »
I just hope he has not done to much damage... If you remember our first game of the season vs Arsenal, we played some good football, it went down hill from then on. Same team, (except for an Argentinian terrier, who played out his skin for his last game). We can only hope now that Kenny can make something of us again, I personally feel that tomorrow for me, will be monumental in seeing him return, I've waited years and only dreamed that this would happen.

The Arsenal game we resembled Rafa's team in pretty much every way, which shows how key Mascherano was to the way we set ourselves up.

Offline B.Red

• Kopite
  • Pray to God but row away from the rocks!
« Reply #239 on: January 8, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
if anyone's seen Phil McNulty's blog on the news today this was left underneath by a manc and made me laugh:
So much for his rallying cry yesterday (an article which the bbc seem to have removed)!

The liverpool fans finally get what they wanted, they didn't want hodgson, the players it seem didn't want to play and the fans didn't want to watch, why? Because they'd rather dream of glories past than the future!

The way he was treated from day 1 by the fans was a discrage, they bought this on themselves and I hope they truely get what they deserve for ruining the career of a great guy (if not great manager) and that is yet more years of mediocraty!