Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 1-0 Birmingham  (Read 5768 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 1-0 Birmingham
« on: April 3, 2006, 09:47:33 pm »
Tonight saw a game at The Racecourse where the visiting team Birmingham failed to have a single shot on target. However it still took Liverpool until the dying moments to force the victory.

This game exposed the shortcomings of what, on the whole, is a very impressive reserve team. The two errant areas that were patently clear for all to see tonight was the lack of a proper finisher and the lack of creativity from central midfield. With Lee Peltier and Hobbs in midfield mainly concentrating on defensive duties, it puts a lot of pressure on Guthrie to provide the spark and if he is marked out of the game or just not on top form we really lack fluency.

On the bench for The Reds tonight was 17 year old Lee Tomlin who is on a trial for Rushden and Diamonds. Also coming back from injury Adam Hammill was back among the substitutes.

The first chance of the game fell to Birmingham. It was the only chance they were able to muster all night and even that one was more down to a Liverpool defensive error. With ten minutes gone the industrious Foy was clearing up at the back but tried to do a little too much. The ball fell the path of McPike but he could only blast over from 18 yards.

After this scrappy start Liverpool started to dominate possession and control the game. The first shot on goal in the match was from Calliste. He turned twenty five yards out and let fly. It was a powerful dipping effort and the impressive Legzdins in goal for Birmingham could only tip over.

On twenty minutes as the ball left the field of play one fan saw his chance and took it. Jumping up from his front row seat he headed the ball back over the advertising hoardings and on to the pitch. Unfortunately for him his shades followed the ball onto the field. Roque, tonight occupying the left back position tried his best to pass them back, but play restarted and he had to rush off.

When the sun had gone down on that brief interlude Liverpool captain Jack Hobbs was again asserting himself in midfield. This time he won the ball with a brilliant tackle, jumped to his feet and slid Anderson in on goal. The youngster was heading away from goal but his first touch set the ball up nicely to be hit right footed on the half volley. He hit it well and got plenty of power but the shot went just wide.

Liverpool's best chances of the half came just before half time. On 43 minutes Roque was the man to win the tackle this time and he opted for a short pass to Foy who looked up and slipped a pass through the defence to Anderson. The defender managed to get a touch forcing Anderson to cut back, before steadying himself and this time shooting with his left. Again he made good contact, but once more failed to hit the target.

A minute later and the lively Anderson was again the protagonist. He chased down a long Martin kick. When all seemed lost he managed to beat City left back Blake to the ball. He cut back inside and as he ran on goal he slipped the ball back to Calliste. The Welsh U21 international shot first time but a diving block from Painter saw the ball ricochet away for a corner.

Half Time: 0-0

Liverpool started the second half as they had finshed the first. Again Blake was beaten, this time by Guthrie. He played a hard and low cross inside the six yard box which Painter did well to intercept, his sliced clearance looping over the crossbar.

Foy had again been looking dangerous tonight and on 54 minutes he produced a lovely piece of skill to beat two men. He then slipped it into Guthrie. He hit a cross field ball to Anderson who beat his man by taking the ball over his head. The young winger the ball on the volley but the end result engendered a sense of deja vu, with probably too good a contact seeing the ball frustratingly fly over the bar.

Tomlin came on for Calliste with twenty five minutes to go. There was plenty of running in him and he was certainly doing his best to make a good impression. Ten minutes after coming on he had a chance. Barragan took a huge throw in from the right wing and Tomlin was first to it. The trialist rose and nodded the ball down toward the bottom corner only to see an alert Legzdins diving to his left to turn the ball behind for a corner.

With just over quarter of an hour to go Hammill came on. He was lively from the minute he got on and nearly scored in the 85th minute. He curled a shot from twenty five yards but again Legzdins was well positioned to turn the ball behind. Liverpool had an impressive corner count but were still yet to register a digit where it counts.

Just when it seemed the game had petered out to a stalemate Tomlin chased down a long and hopeful through ball. He did enough to make the keeper rush his clearance and miskick from just outside the box. Tomlin chased the ball down, turned and fed Hammill. Hammill took a touch, set himself and shot low to the keeper's right hand side but Legzdins made a good save tipping the ball onto the post. Anderson's eyes lit up as he saw the ball bouncing along the goal line and he knew he wasn't going to miss from two yards out. 1-0.

There was an audible sigh of relief from Liverpool fans and players on the final whistle. To have gone away from this game with anything other than a win would have been a huge disappointment.

Full Time: 1-0

Man of the Match: Not an easy choice as there were no real stand out performances. Hobbs was again very strong and a calming influence in midfield, but I'll go for Peltier as he is trying to adapt his game to get forward more to drive the team on. He grew in stature as the game progressed today.

Liverpool: Martin, Barragan, Roque (83, Smith), Antwi, O'Donnell, Hobbs (capt.), Anderson, Peltier, Calliste (65, Tomlin), Guthrie (74, Hammill), Foy

© AdamS 2006
« Last Edit: April 3, 2006, 11:51:24 pm by Rushian »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 1 - 0 Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2006, 09:50:25 pm »
How's Barragan shaping up and is he adapting to the English game?
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline PLY

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »
"Foy had again been looking dangerous tonight and on 54 minutes he produced a lovely piece of skill to beat two men. He then slipped it into Foy"

We all dream of a team of Robbie Foy's... ;D
Ayer , Hoy , Manana Y Siempre - L.F.C.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2006, 10:02:51 pm »
Reserves team sounds like our First Team >.> lack of finishing
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2006, 10:14:35 pm »
"Foy had again been looking dangerous tonight and on 54 minutes he produced a lovely piece of skill to beat two men. He then slipped it into Foy"

We all dream of a team of Robbie Foy's... ;D
Thank you ;D

Duly edited.

Barragan isn't standing out head and shoulders or anything but he's looking good. He didn't get forward much tonight at all.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline EndOfTheStorm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • If you win, you win. If you lose, you still win
« Reply #5 on: April 3, 2006, 10:28:15 pm »
They've been on a good run lately .... any chance of a decent finish to the league? Top 3?
Though your dreams ......... be tossed and blown

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2006, 11:20:28 pm »
sounds like Tomlin done quite well after coming on, can only enhance his chances of getting a contract

Im sure the goals will come, maybe all in one game just like the seniors ;)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
Re: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 1-0 Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2006, 12:44:15 am »
What do you reckon the deal with Hammill is? Everytime I've seen him, he's impressed, and out of all the youth/reserve team, he looks the most promising.

From what you've seen, what do you think his chances are?
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2006, 01:08:27 am »
What do you reckon the deal with Hammill is? Everytime I've seen him, he's impressed, and out of all the youth/reserve team, he looks the most promising.

From what you've seen, what do you think his chances are?
He's really progressing well at the moment. He really does seem to have the lot in terms of skill, but he is adding impressive decision making and some strength to that now too. If he carries on progressing his chances are excellent, but you never know because a player can just suddenly stop the progression and even go backward.

I think it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the first few months of next season in the reserves.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2006, 01:35:03 am »
 :wave

nice to hear hammil is progressing too  :)

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2006, 01:39:08 am »
He's really progressing well at the moment. He really does seem to have the lot in terms of skill, but he is adding impressive decision making and some strength to that now too. If he carries on progressing his chances are excellent, but you never know because a player can just suddenly stop the progression and even go backward.

I think it'll be interesting to see how he gets on in the first few months of next season in the reserves.

Cheers. I just think this lad could be the next big thing, don't want to tempt fate or anything, but he just looks like he has "it".

But, then again, so did Partridge, Welsh et al. Lets hope he can keep progressing in the right manner, and hopefully he can make the grade!
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2006, 05:02:44 am »
Cheers. I just think this lad could be the next big thing, don't want to tempt fate or anything, but he just looks like he has "it".

But, then again, so did Partridge, Welsh et al. Lets hope he can keep progressing in the right manner, and hopefully he can make the grade!

My impression has been that Hammil has excellent skills but like all those kids great with their feet not good with releasing the ball - a judgement and habit problem.  So it's great to hear him starting making good decisions.

Offline Jermaine man

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: April 4, 2006, 07:48:05 am »
Its great to hear Peltier is adding a new dimension to his game but to be honest i havent seen much of him since he got injured last term. He was the man of the match in the last reserve outing before birmingham on the LFC.tv site. I was wondering do you think he could break through into the first team next season? or is not of the quality required in the prem. Also which central midfielder does he remind you of past or present? and also what is his style of play? (eg. is he good passer, battler, workman like etc)

finally what has happen to Mannix?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #13 on: April 4, 2006, 08:18:15 am »
Paul Anderson seems to be doing well for the reserves, I wonder how long it will be until he's given a run out for the 1st team.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 4, 2006, 09:39:30 am »
mannix broke his ankle some time ago, he is out for the season

Offline liverweb

• Statto
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.liverweb.org.uk - Your one stop site for LFC
    • Liverweb
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2006, 09:57:09 am »
excellent report as ever Adam

the comment from someone else about Peltier adding a new dimension to hisgame - I guess this refers to the fact he played CM.  That's his true position.  He played there at U17s and is when i first ever saw him play.  You could see then if he progressed the natural way he had a chance of making it.  In the last couple of years he's played defensively and full backs at the academy level and done well there.  Now he's back to normal and in midfield you can see his quality coming through again.  He's still got a couple of years left on his contract so plenty of time.  The only thing going against him is its that central midfield role again which we have players around for

As for the league table - we lie 6th at the moment in the table and I reckon that will roughly be the finish we have as well to be honest.

www.liverweb.org.uk/restab0506.htm

Andy
Liverweb

http://www.liverweb.org.uk - for all your LFC stats.

Check out every LFC Result and Lineup ever and info on players past, present and for the future!

Subscribe to the Liverweb mailing list at liverweb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2006, 10:13:56 am »
Firstly Adam - good article picked it up from newsnow - you'll be getting a wider rep now I guess and fully deserved.......

On Peltier do you think he's being groomed as cover for MoMo - - he's quite quick and a tenacious tackler from what I remember of his performances at full back and its the one area where we are short in central midfield - we dont have a second mad dog midfielder.......

From what I can tell the stiffs appear to be shaping up now like the first team formation that Rafa would prefer........

Also I'm curious about O'Donnell and Smith are they in there to add strength to a young side or do they really have the chance to progress, I'm suspecting the former?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2006, 11:33:03 am »
Andy (Liverweb) has more of an insight into Peltier than me in many ways having seen him over a long period at the academy. He's above average in terms of pace, he's a very good passer although more in terms of accuracy than being able to spot a defence splitting pass and he is extremely tenacious in the tackle. As Andy says he has two years left on his contract and still has time to develop, but I don't think he's near the first team at present.

O'Donnell and Smith are both out of contract at the end of the season. I hope they both get a contract elsewhere because I believe that they are both good enough to make it in football.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #18 on: April 4, 2006, 06:40:45 pm »
Good piece mate.

Wanted to ask you whether you think Foy's good enough to have a future?  Have heard stuff that he might be off in the summer, but sounds like he's impressing.

Also what of the Serb lad?  Bezian Idreaix or whatever his bleedin name was.  Haven't heard a lot of him.

Tomlin good enough dyou think?

Thanks for your time, and keep writing, you're excellent :)
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #19 on: April 4, 2006, 08:19:53 pm »
Good piece mate.

Wanted to ask you whether you think Foy's good enough to have a future?  Have heard stuff that he might be off in the summer, but sounds like he's impressing.

Also what of the Serb lad?  Bezian Idreaix or whatever his bleedin name was.  Haven't heard a lot of him.

Tomlin good enough dyou think?

Thanks for your time, and keep writing, you're excellent :)

Ta

Bez hasn't figured for a while. I believe he got a semi serious injury. He was just starting to show some form but overall he has struggled to adapt to the game over here.

Tomlin? I've seen a brief 25 minutes and that's all. He did well in that time but it's hard enough to make an assessment of the lads who we see every week, never mind somone I have seen less than half an hour of.

Foy is going at the end of the season. He has been good since he came back from his loan periods, but he's not good enough to get near our first team. I'd be extremely suprised if Calliste was kept on too.

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:57 pm »
Thanks again for the report Adam  :thumbup
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 06:09:54 pm »
A very good read that Adam..